Golf Channel Canada and the Women's US Open

Tommyj

Any Canadians in the WRX community who can shed some light on what Golf Channel's strategy was in blocking us from seeing the women's Open up here?  My Bell Media program guide was showing full coverage starting last Thursday and then obviously NBC on the weekend.  Absolutely no coverage on Thursday, Friday or for the delayed final round.  But they did offer me an endless loop of Feherty reruns.  I don't really care any more at this point because I just went online and dropped GC from my channel lineup, but would still like to know how you can advertise coverage on NBC, Golf Channel and Peacock, and then just not show it.

1 minute ago, Tommyj said:

Any Canadians in the WRX community who can shed some light on what Golf Channel's strategy was in blocking us from seeing the women's Open up here?  My Bell Media program guide was showing full coverage starting last Thursday and then obviously NBC on the weekend.  Absolutely no coverage on Thursday, Friday or for the delayed final round.  But they did offer me an endless loop of Feherty reruns.  I don't really care any more at this point because I just went online and dropped GC from my channel lineup, but would still like to know how you can advertise coverage on NBC, Golf Channel and Peacock, and then just not show it.

managed to watch it on TSN...  and GC carried it on monday... at least that's what I got (eg Rogers)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stooch said:

i would imagine TSN buys US Open Coverage from NBC (or USGA) to air in Canada.  So TSN own all US Open rights in Canada Men/Women and they force Golf Channel Canada to block it out.  It was the same with the Men's events, you get Ferherty lol

Correct answer. 

What pissed me off the most on the Monday finish was the TSN wouldn't update their broadcast info to Shaw and the guide only showed that "information unavailable" and wouldn't let me record it.  Forced me to watch it live.

BTW... Stupid Peacock isn't available either in Canada.

• Like 2

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

While it was great that TSN showed so many hours of coverage - including Monday - I still don't get why it showed as being on Golf Channel in my online Guide on Rogers cable.

Whatever deals the various networks had, surely they made them in time to update the Guide.

Lucky I'm retired and there's covid and it's freezing out, or I would have a lot of hours of Feherty on the PVR and no USWO. 

OK, so I can get that TSN should air it since they paid for the rights.  What I don't understand is why they would care about golf channel airing rebroadcasts *after* the tournament is over.  I mean, I wasn't looking to rewatch it, but the guide showed US open but it was Feherty and sometimes some school of golf(which I would want to watch if I knew it would be on). 

5 hours ago, Bluefan75 said:

OK, so I can get that TSN should air it since they paid for the rights.  What I don't understand is why they would care about golf channel airing rebroadcasts *after* the tournament is over.  I mean, I wasn't looking to rewatch it, but the guide showed US open but it was Feherty and sometimes some school of golf(which I would want to watch if I knew it would be on). 

You know that caveat that is at the start or end of every telecast: cannot be rebroadcast with prior written consent... Obviously TSN hasn't released their rights for rebroadcasting in Canada.  Not sure about all the legal stuff, but I'm sure it has to do with protecting advertising $$ somehow.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

11 hours ago, Socrates said:

You know that caveat that is at the start or end of every telecast: cannot be rebroadcast with prior written consent... Obviously TSN hasn't released their rights for rebroadcasting in Canada.  Not sure about all the legal stuff, but I'm sure it has to do with protecting advertising $$ somehow.

Oh I get from the legal perspective.  I'm just scratching my head at *what* advertising revenue is being protected.  Hardly anyone watched it live, I'm surprised they think too many people would be watching it on a replay.

There is legal, and there is logical. 

But then again I am reminded of a quote from Michael Crichton.  Talking about working with TV people, he said "These are some of the dumbest people around."  When it was pointed out that, as  Ph. D., he likely would find many people stupid, he said, "No, you don't understand.  I mean 2+2=5 stupid." 

At least they aired it. Canadian broadcasters have been known to buy rights to something not to air it, but to prevent another network from airing it. 

Many licensing agreements are only applicable to the original broadcast, and many times, the host broadcaster retains re-broadcast rights.   So even if TSN had the rights to an original broadcast, they would not necessarily have the right to rebroadcast at a later date or time without having it included in their licensing agreement.

• Like 1

I believe there was more content available to stream through the TSN app or website such as the early coverage that would have been on peacock. If you have TSN through your cable provider, you get access to the web/app content. During the sign on on TSN, select sign in through my cable provider, then log in using your cable provider credentials.

Sometimes it's a bit glitchy and you have to try a couple of times, but it works and it's a great feature that you don't have to pay more for. Most people these days have an Apple TV or similar, so log in directly on your TV or stream from your device.

Some other decent content on there too other than live coverage. Same for Sportsnet.

Edited by Phireside

On 12/17/2020 at 7:58 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

Increase the limits on the walleyes we can bring back and you can even have old reruns of Dallas!

Never! Those are our Pickerel 😂

I wish there was just a service you could subscribe to, like netflix, hulu, crave, disney, ect ect, that was just Golf.... showed the pga and lpga events, and golf movies/reruns as filler in between. I'd pay for that, but I'm not getting cable just to see the bit of commercial flooded coverage they offer now. 

My buddy has the fancy cable dealie recorder thing so I can usually catch some of the coverage over there, and my antenna picks up some NBC from buffalo so I can sometimes get the weekend coverage.  I just would be happy to pay the PGA tour, to be able to watch their events. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler