2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Iron Refinishing Options: The Iron Factory, Ralph Maltby Golf Works or Other

I want to restore my father's set of Walter Hagen, Haig Ultra irons from the 70s.  When I was a teenager, not wanting to play my brother's hand-me-down Northwestern irons, I would sneak the old man's Haigs out of his trunk to go play them. Does this clandestine operation sound familiar to anyone of a certain age out there ?  I have looked at The Iron Works and Ralph Maltby Golf works and am looking for feedback on either of these two or any other company that does a great job.

I had a set of irons done by Dough Oughton this year and the results completely blew me away. They were my clubs from high school and were very, very beat up and they came back looking like new (large sole gauges filled & smoothed, all bag chatter gone, grooves looking perfect even though I didn't spec re-grooving, etc.). Granted, I had mine stripped raw, but he offers re-plating and based on my experience his work is exceptional. Prices and turnaround were great too.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

I had a set of Titleist 681t refinished by the iron factory. Solid work overall. Sloppy paint fill. The tour chrome finish they use isn’t a standard high polish chrome but looks fantastic. There are some random buffing marks and you can see some areas where dings were smoothed but very nicely done for the most part. 

I admit I've read enough negative stories in golf forums regarding Iron Factory work that I'd be leery of sending my own stuff there.  And then there's this...

As it happens, I own a set of clubheads that were rechromed there.  Bought them from the guy who had them rechromed, they'd been just sitting around since that time as backups.  I bought a set of shafts to use in these clubs.  As I started the dry fitting process, I noticed the shaft was loose in the PW.

Turns out it was bored parallel.  Not the "best part" of the story, though....  only three of the clubheads are bored parallel, the other six are .355 bore.

Flavors my view of that company.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The iron factory ruined a set of otherwise perfect hogan apex redlines that I sent him to refinish...sloppy work on the faces, didn’t cut new groves as directed and re griped them with the wrong grip even though I stapled a cut sheet of the lambkin grip I wanted to EACH club. Not only was the workmanship lacking, the guy was a total ....what’s the word I’m looking for, I wonder?....hmmmm

not only did he do poor work and used the wrong grips, and neglected to re- groove them, when I called him to discuss what I should do now, he told me I was “one of the impossible to please hogan guys”. Never even got the correct grips from him to correct his mistake in re-gripping.

I wouldn’t send anyone his way if hell froze over....and I’m being way to polite about it

• Like 3

I have some had some work done by both ir0nfac0ry and Doug Oughton.

Ir0nfact0ry was more pricey and the quality and the workmanship has slipped in my opinion. He has been inundated by vintage hogans from overseas (we all know the dude with the vintage refinished Hogans) and is probably very sick and tired of people sending in Hogans to be restored to their original glory and expect new mint perfection. 

I have gotten to know Doug Oughton and I consider him to be the premier club refinisher in North America. 

His work is outstanding and he is the most honest golf pro on this planet. I have developed a great friendship with Doug and I look forward to the day when I can visit Doug in his shop and play a round of golf with him. Being from Canada there are many challenges in doing this during this global pandemic.

I highly recommend Doug for his professionalism and quality of work. The guy really knows his stuff.

Steven

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 3:26 AM, deejaid said:

I can second Doug Oughton at Oughton’s Golf in Sacramento.  He did 3 sets of Hogan irons for me and they all came out spectacular.  Nice guy to deal with and good prices too.

I had Doug Oughton regroove and polish my 1980s era Wilson R90 SW. I didn't realize it was Stainless and not Chromed. It came out fantastic.  I just got it today and can't wait to give it a "spin" tomorrow. Great price too!

• Like 4

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, raggal62 said:

Specifically are you looking for stainless or chrome plating service? Or both?

I’m looking to refinish an old set of MacGregor MT blades that are currently chrome and would like them refurbished and regrooved.  I’d do chrome or satin finish.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black

Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black |U505 23° HZ Gen4 Black

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

4 minutes ago, stimpmeterp said:

I’m looking to refinish an old set of MacGregor MT blades that are currently chrome and would like them refurbished and regrooved.  I’d do chrome or satin finish.

Ken Flanigan or Doug Oughton would be my choices for consistent quality. The Iron Factory can be hit or miss.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, raggal62 said:

Ken Flanigan or Doug Oughton would be my choices for consistent quality. The Iron Factory can be hit or miss.

I have a set rechromed by Iron Factory.  The rechroming itself was fine, but the clubheads now have three of them with a .370 bore, the other six in their original .355 bore.  🤔

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I have a set rechromed by Iron Factory.  The rechroming itself was fine, but the clubheads now have three of them with a .370 bore, the other six in their original .355 bore.  🤔

My experience with them was also less than ideal - had them refinish a sentimental Spalding Cash-In.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black

Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black |U505 23° HZ Gen4 Black

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 10:45 AM, NRJyzr said:

That's weird.  I wonder why they did that?  Maybe they subbed in some other heads that they though were in better condition?

20 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

That's weird.  I wonder why they did that?  Maybe they subbed in some other heads that they though were in better condition?

They're 986 Tours, not terribly common.  My guess is someone took instructions for another set and applied them to this set.

I haven't decided if I'm going to ream the others to 370, or just shim the three heads in question. 

On 12/18/2020 at 6:51 AM, NRJyzr said:

I admit I've read enough negative stories in golf forums regarding Iron Factory work that I'd be leery of sending my own stuff there. 

... Probably me amigo LOL. I sent my cherished 588 LW to the IF to have it re-chromed in a satin finish but it came back shiny chrome. Sent it back and he did it again with the correct satin finish. It was early in my golf equipment life and didn't know anything about the process so you can imagine my shock when the swing weight was reduced form D6 to C5!?!?! He tells me every time they remove chrome they strip off some of the metal and since he did it twice the swing weight was going to be reduced by quite a bit. WTF? 

... About 10 years later I gave him another chance with some Scratch Wedges and it was just as bad with a very poor quality finish. Never again. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Probably me amigo LOL. I sent my cherished 588 LW to the IF to have it re-chromed in a satin finish but it came back shiny chrome. Sent it back and he did it again with the correct satin finish. It was early in my golf equipment life and didn't know anything about the process so you can imagine my shock when the swing weight was reduced form D6 to C5!?!?! He tells me every time they remove chrome they strip off some of the metal and since he did it twice the swing weight was going to be reduced by quite a bit. WTF? 

... About 10 years later I gave him another chance with some Scratch Wedges and it was just as bad with a very poor quality finish. Never again. 

Yes sir!  Yours is one of those stories.  There's a few too many.

That doesn't even include the dumping into the water supply at their old location....

5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

They're 986 Tours, not terribly common.  My guess is someone took instructions for another set and applied them to this set.

I haven't decided if I'm going to ream the others to 370, or just shim the three heads in question. 

That's too bad.  Shims would fix it sure but still... really?  I too have heard too many stories like this. 

My new job is Shop Foreman in a medium sized machine shop and part of our facility does industrial chrome plating for shafting and the like.  I asked the boys in the chrome shop if they could strip heads for me and they said yes but not the Nickel plating underneath.  I'm gonna try a sample set anyway and see how it goes.  Our plating setup won't do shiny cosmetic chrome but I'm really only interested in the raw look anyway.  We shall see!

Edited by Swingingk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Swingingk said:

That's too bad.  Shims would fix it sure but still... really?  I too have heard too many stories like this. 

My new job is Shop Foreman in a medium sized machine shop and part of our facility does industrial chrome plating for shafting and the like.  I asked the boys in the chrome shop if they could strip heads for me and they said yes but not the Nickel plating underneath.  I'm gonna try a sample set anyway and see how it goes.  Our plating setup won't do shiny cosmetic chrome but I'm really only interested in the raw look anyway.  We shall see!

I have a set of irons that were chrome stripped only leaving the nickel plating. They have developed a nice tarnish patina but definitely not a raw look.

• Like 1