MIZUNO JPX FANS, 850 Forged, 900 Forged, 919 Forged, or 921 Forged, which is your favorite and why?

Well, I am bored at work today so which would be your preferred set of the JPX Forged product line.  The 850 Forged is the first to put in the Boron, so I started with that set and this is just for the Forged sets, not the Tour or Hot metals.

I'm picking the 900 Forged and I am currently still gaming them.  The 919s and the 921s have a chunkier look to them and they got rid of the ground leading edge on them, and for whatever reason did not feel a good as the 900s to me.  I also think the 850s are very good, but the slight improvements of the 900 over the 850 and the satin finish make the 900 my choice.  Now by looks and looks alone I love the 919s, but they did not perform better than the 900s for me.

image.png.aafe838905ff4a97e4ee9225da67a65e.png

Edited by Whit1969
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade SIM Max 9.0 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60

Titleist TS3 15 w/PX Evenflow Blue 75

Titleist 818 H2 19 w/Evenflow Blue 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW Pro Modus 120

Titleist Vokey SM8  50-54-58 

Odyssey Protype iX #1 34"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I am bored at work today so which would be your preferred set of the JPX Forged product line.  The 850 Forged is the first to put in the Boron, so I started with that set and this is just for th

Sounds like you are the ideal guy to provide the OP a response to his question:    

Never owned or played the 850F but had the rest and the 825Pro forged. I have to say the 921F is the best from a look and feel standpoint with the 900F a close second in performance but lacked the aes

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Warrick said:

I have owned, played most, just sold 921F, but still have the 900F out in California 

Sounds like you are the ideal guy to provide the OP a response to his question:

2 hours ago, Whit1969 said:

which would be your preferred set of the JPX Forged product line

• Haha 1
Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 16* Hybrid with Proforce V2 86 
Cobra Baffler T-Rail 7-wood with GD YS-6+
Adams Pro Mini 23* and 26* Hybrids w/RIP Tour 115
Adams XTD Forged 6-PW w/RIP Tour 115 
Vokeys: SM4 52F-12, SM4 56M-11, WedgeWorks 60T-04, all w/RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
4 hours ago, Whit1969 said:

Well, I am bored at work today so which would be your preferred set of the JPX Forged product line.  The 850 Forged is the first to put in the Boron, so I started with that set and this is just for the Forged sets, not the Tour or Hot metals.

I'm picking the 900 Forged and I am currently still gaming them.  The 919s and the 921s have a chunkier look to them and they got rid of the ground leading edge on them, and for whatever reason did not feel a good as the 900s to me.  I also think the 850s are very good, but the slight improvements of the 900 over the 850 and the satin finish make the 900 my choice.  Now by looks and looks alone I love the 919s, but they did not perform better than the 900s for me.

image.png.aafe838905ff4a97e4ee9225da67a65e.png

Are you talking about top line when you mean chunkier?  921 forged have reduced their top line.

Just curious what you're referring to and what numbers you have vs. your impression.

Also 921 have chromoly in 7 thru 4 for the first time.  The 921 8 thru wedge are closer to tours on top line than ever before. 

Oh man what a thread, going back to the 850s. I game those btw and they’re fantastic. I haven’t tried the others but it’s hard to be very tempted. The 850s are a touch weaker lofted so I only had to bend everything 1* weak to get lofts to match my old MX23s (first set, just what I got used to). They also have that beveled leading edge which is awesome on slightly heavy shots and unfortunately not there on the 919 or 921s. I’d love to take a whack at the 921s but my 850s just tick so many boxes.

After I built my set last year, I took them to the shop to get length/loft/lie dialed in and as soon as I handed them to the fitter he said “oh man these were so good”  Any bad iron shot is on me and me alone.

5 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Are you talking about top line when you mean chunkier?  921 forged have reduced their top line.

Just curious what you're referring to and what numbers you have vs. your impression.

Also 921 have chromoly in 7 thru 4 for the first time.  The 921 8 thru wedge are closer to tours on top line than ever before. 

Chunkier soles with more bounce when they eliminated the ground leading edge starting on the 919s

Taylormade SIM Max 9.0 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60

Titleist TS3 15 w/PX Evenflow Blue 75

Titleist 818 H2 19 w/Evenflow Blue 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW Pro Modus 120

Titleist Vokey SM8  50-54-58 

Odyssey Protype iX #1 34"

I’ve gamed the 900F the past three years.  Have experimented with several other sets now and then, but usually not for long.  Just an all around solid set of irons.  Can hit them high or low.  Reasonably long.  Good feel.  Look good at address and in the bag.  

The 850 was before I went to Mizuno.  The 919 didn’t do anything for me visually, and was missing the beveled leading edge which I like.  I like the looks of the 921, but don’t see enough improvement to make the move. 

I am currently drooling over the MP20 HMB, just cause I like the muscle back look with forgiveness.  Gonna be a long winter, we’ll see if I can resist.

Titleist TS2 10.5 RIP Phenom 60 S
Titleist 917F2 16.5 Diamana S+ 70 S
Titleist 816H1 19 Tense Blue S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Ping Glide 50, 54, 58 CFS
Toulon LasVegas 7H, OWorks Black Jailbird Mini, Scotty GoLo 7

Never owned or played the 850F but had the rest and the 825Pro forged. I have to say the 921F is the best from a look and feel standpoint with the 900F a close second in performance but lacked the aesthetic. I did like the relief of the leading edge on the 900F which was gone away from in the 919F. To me the 919F from the aesthetic stand point was the nicest looking but the actual heads were so long and just seemed big. Probably my least favorite of the bunch. 

• Like 1

I played the 850F for two years and have been in the 921F for 2 months.  I got the 921F with 1 degree weak lofts, so loftwise these were apples to apples..  But I had x100 in the 850 and now have Project X LZ in the 921.  For me, I gave the 850 a grade of about B+.  Very good but not MP level feel.  Good forgiveness and a pleasing shape behind the ball.  They had a somewhat high center of gravity, which made anything longer than 7 iron a chore off the turf for this 6 hcp (with about 102-104 driver SS).  Although in fairness the x100 shafts didn't help at all in that regard...they were too much for me.  As for the 921F, I grade them around an A-.  They frame the ball beautifully and I can launch up to a 5-iron with good height, speed, and proper gapping.  They have a solid, muted, pleasing thump sound through the turf.  I have an identically lofted and shafted set of Srixon 765 that I also play,  which essentially have no real technology.  The 921s are about 3-4 yards longer (maybe from the slightly harder steel and the bit of face speed technology) compared to the Srixons, but the Srixons have that dopamine-releasing flush/thump sound on pure strikes that the 921s don't quite have.  Although a little more compact than the 850 version, the 921s are more forgiving for me, I think because the COG is a little lower, which helps if I hit one a touch thin.  Overall, I'm really happy with the 921F and expect to keep them for a couple of years.  One digression I'll add is that I played the 919 HM Pro for a year between the 850s and the 921s.  The HM Pros were very solid, but the loft gapping didn't make sense for me.  I had 15-17 yard gaps between my scoring irons and then very small gaps with the long irons.  By contrast, ordered one degree weak (with 46 degree PW and 4 degree gaps), the 921s are perfectly gapped for me until the 4 iron, where my speed isn't quite enough except off a tee.

• Like 1

I've only had the 850 Forged, my current gamer.  They'll either be replaced this coming season or next, but I'm going to have quite a decision on my hands.  I'm going to have a real difficult time choosing between the 921 Forged (most likely), the P770 (least likely), the MP-20 HMB (or their replacement), or a combo set of ZX5/7 (a sleeper that could give Mizuno a serious run).  I'll probably take a look at the MP-20 MMC, also.

Edit (4/09/21):  Ended up ordering a set of 921 Forged 5-GW with $-Taper 125.

Edited by forrester_fire

Know you are asking about the irons but I still have the JPX 900 Driver, 3w and even just picked up a NOS 5 wood.

While I know I’m probably giving up a few yards with the driver at this point, the fairway woods are still fantastic. 

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Edel E3
2021 Titleist StaDry Players 4

Clicgear 4.0

I’m all in on the 921F. Since selling my MP-32’s I have been on a mission to replace them with a modern day equivalent. The 919T and 921T are very close to my beloved 32’s however my reality is I need more forgiveness than the Tours offered. A bit more distance is welcome too. I moved from the 919F to the 921F when I probably didn’t need to however the advancements made on the 921F in size, shape, material and offset bring me closer to what I remember the 32’s being size and offset wise but with the help and distance I need. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Tensei 1K Pro White 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang

Callaway Chrome Soft X

19 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

I’m all in on the 921F. Since selling my MP-32’s I have been on a mission to replace them with a modern day equivalent. The 919T and 921T are very close to my beloved 32’s however my reality is I need more forgiveness than the Tours offered. A bit more distance is welcome too. I moved from the 919F to the 921F when I probably didn’t need to however the advancements made on the 921F in size, shape, material and offset bring me closer to what I remember the 32’s being size and offset wise but with the help and distance I need. 

I'm a former mp32 player but needed a little more help and ball speed.  I played i20s as well, but the 921F seems to be a perfect mix.

13 minutes ago, mretrade said:

Is it just me or do the 4-7 feel amazing on 921 forged when you hit the sweet spot where the 8-PW it doesn't feel as good, but still good. Could just be my meh swing/in my head. 

I think the feel from chromoly to 1025E is pretty seamless. I spent a lot of time hitting the 7i and 8i to see if I could really sense a difference in feel off the clubface. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Tensei 1K Pro White 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang

Callaway Chrome Soft X

Just upgraded from my beloved, but 15 years old MP 32s, to a combo set of JPX 921 Forged 5-6 and Tour 7-PW.  The 5 and 6 Forged appear slightly larger, but not distractingly so, and their performance more than makes up for their look.  The 5 iron has become a solid performer at 190-200 yards with a nice high flight, solid feeling strike and just the right amount of forgiveness, without the total loss of feedback.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 10.5*
Sonartec GS Tour 15*
Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 5-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

I’ve been playing the 850F for the past six seasons and plan to get fitted later this month for a new set. Definitely gravitating toward the 921F, but am also considering the P770s. Has anyone done a combo set of the 921F and 921 Hot Metal Pros? Love the high and mid irons in the 850F, but hitting the 4-5 can be a chore sometimes. I’m an ok ball striker 7 handicap, but my natural miss is low on the toe, which pretty much means the longer irons are my nemesis. The minimal offset and more “player” shape of the HM Pros are making me think a blended set could be an ideal solution. Thinking either 4-5 or 4-6 in HM Pros, and 6-PW or 7-PW in the 921F. Thoughts?

TM Sim2 Max 10.5º | AD-DI 6x

TM M5 3w | AD-DI 7x

TM Sim2 19º Hybrid | AD-DI 8s

Callaway X Forged CB | KBS C-Taper Lite S

Vokey Raw SM8 50.12 F-Grind

Vokey Raw SM8 54.10 S-Grind

Vokey Raw SM8 58.14 K-Grind

Byron Morgan Carbon DH89 350g | Scotty Mil-Spec 33”/350g

12 hours ago, brendan6q66 said:

I’ve been playing the 850F for the past six seasons and plan to get fitted later this month for a new set. Definitely gravitating toward the 921F, but am also considering the P770s. Has anyone done a combo set of the 921F and 921 Hot Metal Pros? Love the high and mid irons in the 850F, but hitting the 4-5 can be a chore sometimes. I’m an ok ball striker 7 handicap, but my natural miss is low on the toe, which pretty much means the longer irons are my nemesis. The minimal offset and more “player” shape of the HM Pros are making me think a blended set could be an ideal solution. Thinking either 4-5 or 4-6 in HM Pros, and 6-PW or 7-PW in the 921F. Thoughts?

Can’t answer the 921 Forged/HMP combo, although I considered it myself.  Have played the 900 Forged for the past 3 years, did add a MP-18 MMC FliHi 4 iron this year.  Ultimately, went with a full set of MP-20 HMBs - custom ordered, so waiting for their arrival.  Just got 8 inches of snow today, so won’t be playing anytime soon anyway. 

Titleist TS2 10.5 RIP Phenom 60 S
Titleist 917F2 16.5 Diamana S+ 70 S
Titleist 816H1 19 Tense Blue S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Ping Glide 50, 54, 58 CFS
Toulon LasVegas 7H, OWorks Black Jailbird Mini, Scotty GoLo 7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just ditched my 919 HMP's.  I thought the sole was too wide and the shafts weren't what I was looking for.  I had the 900F's for a while and really liked them, but they had recoil 95 F3's which were too loose and light.  Now I'm trying to decide whether to go back to the 900's or move up to the 919's.  I hit a 919 Forged last week and it felt great, but I haven't seen them side by side with the 900.  I would like to go with whichever has the thinner sole for this sweeper swing.

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids

...irons, what to do...

Snake Eyes 52 gap Rifle 5.0
Corey Paul forged 56 sand Rifle 5.0

TP Mills Sycamore
Spaulding TPM VIII
MannKrafted MA/99

900F is the GOAT and still hangs easily with all the heavy weights of each new cycle.  It was dang near a perfect blend of finish/size/profile along with distance/forgiveness/shape/feel.  It is one of the rare expressions of something that just is 10/10 on every level, kind of like Rihanna.    

Comparing to the same family the 919, 921 are solid clubs but just looks wise and then getting into the distance issues with the 921 specifically they really just were not the same total package.  

Edited by bubbagump
  • Thanks 1

G400 LST | SLDR MINI |PXG 0317x  

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

Fourteen RM | TM Hi-Toe

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

On 12/26/2020 at 10:18 PM, dmeeksDC said:

900F for me. This lineup changed a lot when comparing the 850 and 900 to the 919/921. I picked up a lightly used set of 921Fs and they are solid irons. I preferred the 900F. Looks less ‘thick’ to me and the sole on the 850/900 more to my liking. 

This.  I like the thin top line, brushed finish, leading edge and bag appeal of the 900 forged.  I like the feel of the 921 forged better.  921s are softer and the chrome has been dinging up much worse than my 900 forged.  921 short irons look better but long irons show more of the back cavity than the 900s.  Distance seems the same to me.  Edge to 900 forged.  

On 2/17/2021 at 2:23 PM, oc_mike said:

0-2 handicap and been playing the 850 forged for about 6 years.  Still love them but getting the itch and think it's time.  I feel like the 921 forged are just too long?  I guess I could weaken them a degree or two.  Thinking about moving over to an MMC 20...anyone else made that jump?  When will the MP20 line be repalced?

I’m headed that direction now coming from 919 tours.  Have a fitting next weekend for the mp20 mmc’s... 921 forgeds and maybe the 921 tours.  

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

From playing the 900F, I liked the forgiveness and distance I got from them.  I have a hard time believing you guys in the 0-2 range need that kind of help.  My guess is you'll love the mp20 line.

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids

...irons, what to do...

Snake Eyes 52 gap Rifle 5.0
Corey Paul forged 56 sand Rifle 5.0

TP Mills Sycamore
Spaulding TPM VIII
MannKrafted MA/99

5 hours ago, sm_watts said:

I just ditched my 919 HMP's.  I thought the sole was too wide and the shafts weren't what I was looking for.  I had the 900F's for a while and really liked them, but they had recoil 95 F3's which were too loose and light.  Now I'm trying to decide whether to go back to the 900's or move up to the 919's.  I hit a 919 Forged last week and it felt great, but I haven't seen them side by side with the 900.  I would like to go with whichever has the thinner sole for this sweeper swing.

Let me know if you want some 900 Forged heads only soon

5 hours ago, Phabs said:

I’m headed that direction now coming from 919 tours.  Have a fitting next weekend for the mp20 mmc’s... 921 forgeds and maybe the 921 tours.  

Haven't hit the 921 tours but the MMCs are fantastic

Went to get fit to upgrade my old 850 forged 2 months back with every intention of getting the MMCs.  Didn't really have the tours on my radar as I had in my mind that I didn't want to lose any forgiveness or distance over the stronger lofted MMCs or my current 850s.  Ended up hitting the both the MMCs and the tours and absolutely loved the tours (also hit ping, taylormade, srixon, etc.).  They tours were super easy to hit, felt incredible, and wasn't losing any distance with them on the launch monitor.

They've arrived (4-PW) and I've had them on the range and on course for a few rounds.   So happy with my decision.  Feel great and very easy to hit.  Most surprising is I've lost no distance vs my 850s, even with the tours being weaker lofted.  Honestly, I feel like I'm actually hitting the tours about 5 yards longer.  Could be the slightly different shaft change...maybe the weather warming up...who knows?