Ping i210 and i500

Dcass5

I know this has been a topic of conversation, so I am sorry in advance for blabbing. I currently game the i500's, that I purchased earlier this year. When getting fit, I was set on the i500's and didn't even give the i210's a try.  Which, looking back on, I was oblivious and not aware of the i210s, which was a mistake. I was influenced by the golfers around me to get the i500's. I have played some of my best best golf this year with the i500's and dropped my handicap down to a 5. I absolutely love the look of the i500's, the ball launches off the face, very forgiving and the apex is great. But, its the dispersion, gapping, and sometimes feel that I have a problem with. After playing with the i500s for a while, I did a tour fitting on the trackman. The numbers were okay but it was the spin rate that concerned me and then sometimes my 7 iron would fly 210 yards...That being said, distance is not a problem for me and I prefer feel, so I impulsively bought the i210's. They should be here soon since I didn't order from Ping      (6 week lead time). I know for new irons, I will have to dial in distances again, but I just saw the chart for the lofts of the i500 and i210 (see pic). I have standard lofts in both, but I am concerned by the difference in degree's of lofts. I am starting to think I should of got power spec lofts in the i210's, to reduce the margin of distance. Luckily, ill get to test these clubs out side by side and choose my favorite. I am looking to hear your opinions and experiences with the i500 and i210, thanks! 

PingLofts.gif

Titleist TS2 10* Driver | Titleist TS2 15* 3 Wood | Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid | Ping i210 Irons 4-PW | Ping Glide Forged Wedges 50*54*60* | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 

Thanks for the info. I guess ill see how I hit them first and how the distances compare then go from there. If needed, I could always send them to Ping to adjust the lofts. Its just that I'm so used to the i500 distance that I would like to be around there with the i210s. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TS2 10* Driver | Titleist TS2 15* 3 Wood | Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid | Ping i210 Irons 4-PW | Ping Glide Forged Wedges 50*54*60* | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 

2 minutes ago, Dcass5 said:

Thanks for the info. I guess ill see how I hit them first and how the distances compare then go from there. If needed, I could always send them to Ping to adjust the lofts. Its just that I'm so used to the i500 distance that I would like to be around there with the i210s. 

You wouldn't even need to send them back to Ping. Take them into your nearest, reputable golf shop.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

6 hours ago, Dcass5 said:

I know this has been a topic of conversation, so I am sorry in advance for blabbing. I currently game the i500's, that I purchased earlier this year. When getting fit, I was set on the i500's and didn't even give the i210's a try.  Which, looking back on, I was oblivious and not aware of the i210s, which was a mistake. I was influenced by the golfers around me to get the i500's. I have played some of my best best golf this year with the i500's and dropped my handicap down to a 5. I absolutely love the look of the i500's, the ball launches off the face, very forgiving and the apex is great. But, its the dispersion, gapping, and sometimes feel that I have a problem with. After playing with the i500s for a while, I did a tour fitting on the trackman. The numbers were okay but it was the spin rate that concerned me and then sometimes my 7 iron would fly 210 yards...That being said, distance is not a problem for me and I prefer feel, so I impulsively bought the i210's. They should be here soon since I didn't order from Ping      (6 week lead time). I know for new irons, I will have to dial in distances again, but I just saw the chart for the lofts of the i500 and i210 (see pic). I have standard lofts in both, but I am concerned by the difference in degree's of lofts. I am starting to think I should of got power spec lofts in the i210's, to reduce the margin of distance. Luckily, ill get to test these clubs out side by side and choose my favorite. I am looking to hear your opinions and experiences with the i500 and i210, thanks! 

PingLofts.gif

I did the exact same thing, I500 to I210’s. Got fitted first week of November, but was told it would take 11 weeks. They told you six?

Had the i200 instead of the 210 and had them power spec the lofts. I decided it based on height (too high at about 110 feet) and spin (had plenty) and with lofts strengthened it was perfect. I was hitting them as far as some p790s I was testing at the same time and the power spec brought the i200 flight down to 90-95 feet. As posters above point out, it’s the same head and has plenty of bounce so it does not affect playability. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Agree with others on here easy to have lofts adjusted on Ping clubs so you should be fine, try them in normal first then change if need be. 

I have had several sets of Ping i series and currently have the Ping i500s although I'm not getting on to well with them and have had a second hand set of AP2s alternating with them, want to like the i500 as I believe they should be more forgiving and they are certainly longer but I find I can't finesse a shot into the green and I get a low ball flight with the i500 which I dislike. 

I found I series irons at standard loft to be around a full club shorter than the i500 but felt better and easier to control. 

• Like 1

There is no reason to do power spec unless you launch the stock lofts too high.  Learn your distances and play the appropriate club.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

On 12/18/2020 at 7:21 PM, Joe Jordan said:

I did the exact same thing, I500 to I210’s. Got fitted first week of November, but was told it would take 11 weeks. They told you six?

I got them off Ebay for a steal...so they should be here within the week. But with covid and the holidays they will probably be delayed. I live in CT so my seasons done but I still can’t wait to hit them. Now I’m trying to decide wether to go with the i210 U wedge or Glide forged 50 degree. Decisions, decisions... lol

On 12/19/2020 at 5:32 PM, MattCarter said:

I don't see the point in the power spec lofts.  What's the idea?

It would just be an easier transition from the i500s to the i210s. The idea is that the i210s with power specs would be closer to the i500 standard lofts. Since I am already used to the i500s this would help narrow the distances between i500 and i210s. Where the regular lofts of the i210s are sometimes 2.5 degrees weaker, which is what I have. I will just have to dial the distances in with the i210s. 

On 12/19/2020 at 6:14 PM, Nessism said:

There is no reason to do power spec unless you launch the stock lofts too high.  Learn your distances and play the appropriate club.

I agree. Ive never used power spec lofts, it was an idea since I’m used to the distances of the i500s. I will just have to learn my distances and dial the i210s, which I look forward too. 

On 12/18/2020 at 6:39 PM, kftgolfer said:

You will probably find in standard loft vs standard loft you will lose 1-1.5 clubs with the i210 or about 10-12 yards. 

Power spec the i210 and it’s probably 1/2 club or about 5 yards. 

I found the i210 power spec to be perfect.  

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Honestly, distance isn't a problem for me so I am wondering if the regular lofts are better for me. With the i500s I had a big gapping problem so I’m hoping the i210s will minimize that. Only time will tell but I am super excited to go to work with them. 

On 12/19/2020 at 5:43 PM, Veners said:

Agree with others on here easy to have lofts adjusted on Ping clubs so you should be fine, try them in normal first then change if need be. 

I have had several sets of Ping i series and currently have the Ping i500s although I'm not getting on to well with them and have had a second hand set of AP2s alternating with them, want to like the i500 as I believe they should be more forgiving and they are certainly longer but I find I can't finesse a shot into the green and I get a low ball flight with the i500 which I dislike. 

I found I series irons at standard loft to be around a full club shorter than the i500 but felt better and easier to control. 

I’ve always played Ping irons, as I always used my Grandfathers and dads hand me downs. Were a Ping family lol. I really want to like the i500s so bad but sometimes they don't perform they way you want. I know exactly what you mean, the apex is very high and if you want to hit a low shot it always seems to fly high off the face. I’ve hit some great shots with these irons but then there are some shots I don't feel 100% comfortable over because I can’t control them. I can’t wait to try the i210s.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 2:49 PM, Dcass5 said:

I got them off Ebay for a steal...so they should be here within the week. But with covid and the holidays they will probably be delayed. I live in CT so my seasons done but I still can’t wait to hit them. Now I’m trying to decide wether to go with the i210 U wedge or Glide forged 50 degree. Decisions, decisions... lol

Your seasons not done!!! im near new haven and playing this weekend. should be about 45 degrees 😜

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper  

On 12/19/2020 at 6:14 PM, Nessism said:

Your statement is too general, so I have to disagree.  My i210 Power Spec irons get me an extra 5 yards.  As a result, for example, my 7i goes 165 instead of 160.  So if I have a 165 yard shot, I can now hit a normal 7i instead of trying to take something off a 6i.  Since the 7i has a shorter shaft and less offset than the 6i, this enables me to hit the ball straighter on average for that specific yardage.  Plus I don't have to manipulate my swing or choke down on the club, which impacts swing weight, both of which can impact the quality of the ball strike.

The i210s have plenty of spin and bounce, so strengthening the loft a couple of degrees has no negative impacts for me in those regards.

That said, your results may differ.  I can only speak to what I experience.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 1:13 PM, Kevmonton said:

If you want power spec just get them bent. There is plenty of bounce to work with. Ping does not use a different cast for the power spec's , they just bend them.

Agreed.... I had that done with my G410s.  The fitter said that the Pings were the easiest (non forged) irons to adjust and comment about bounce is generally correct. Sure there is a difference but not that perceptible IMO.

G410 Plus 10.5
G410  3W 16d
RogueX 17 22 H

Sub70 699Pro 6 - 9

T20 PW
CBX 52 56 60
Newport 2 

On 12/18/2020 at 11:46 AM, Dcass5 said:

.That being said, distance is not a problem for me and I prefer feel, so I impulsively bought the i210's.

Then why are you considering power spec? Given you're a single-digit player, I would assume you're more worried about consistent yardage gaps than a few yards distance.

Loft differences reflect the design niche of each iron. Buzz words from Ping catalog:

• i500: Pure. Distance.
  • i210: Pure. Precision.

And, please explain your "margin of distance" comment. I'm not sure what you mean.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 12/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, Dcass5 said:

I like my i210 U wedge, but if I had it to do over again I would’ve gotten the glide 3.0 50°.

$$$$

14 hours ago, ALIF said:

I like my i210 U wedge, but if I had it to do over again I would’ve gotten the glide 3.0 50°.

That’s what I ended up doing. Went with the Glide 3.0 50* and love it. Blends perfectly with my i210’s. 

• Like 1

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Played i210’s in PS and absolutely loved them but ended up selling and getting iblades in PS because I like the looks/size better than the i210’s. I tend to have higher spin/launching with my irons so PS works better for me. 

If you’re hitting a 30.5* 7i over 200 yards then I would think a 33* 7i would better fit your game. 

Blend the set. Play the I210 through the 6 iron and i500 in the long irons. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly