PXG clubs and playing partners

Mustu

I'm sure we can put this topic to rest now, its becoming the same thing as the iron headcovers conversation. Some people love them, most don't care, and some people hate them. If you have them you should be able to take a little joke about it, and if you are one of the people who freaks out if someone has PXG clubs, calm down who cares its not your money regardless of how much they cost, everyone has a different comfort level with cost.

And for the record I've never used a PXG club, doubt I will, but some of you on here saying they are too expensive and a waste are playing all brand new 2020/2021 clubs with very custom builds and upcharge shafts, clearly it's not a  money thing, you just don't like the brand. 

Edited by FatThinShank
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, ProjectX said:

All you've done here is make my point stronger.

The issue is your point was: it bothers you what clubs other people play (& what car they drive), and if they play clubs you don't like you call them a-holes. 

You sound frustrated and bitter, is your real name Shooter Mcgavin? 

Screenshot_20201221_203828.jpg

If people start ragging on your PXG sticks, start dropping hints about your private plane and playing at Augusta and Cypress last year. Then see their faces when you drive off in your Toyota Corolla after the round. 

Ps, I have nothing for or against them. They weren't the best fit for my swing. 

Edited by ephmen

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

1 hour ago, ephmen said:

If people start ragging on your PXG sticks, start dropping hints about your private plane and playing at Augusta and Cypress last year. Then see their faces when you drive off in your Toyota Corolla after the round. 

Ps, I have nothing for or against them. They weren't the best fit for my swing.

I like that.  It would work with my 14 year old Toyota Prius that has scratches all over it and the hatch can't be opened because the handle snapped off.  I spend my money on the important things like my 3rd set of irons for the year.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mustu said:

I like that.  It would work with my 14 year old Toyota Prius that has scratches all over it and the hatch can't be opened because the handle snapped off.  I spend my money on the important things like my 3rd set of irons for the year.  

I like where your head is at, maybe Ill get a Prius and tell my wife that all the money I save on gas is for new golf clubs... you my friend are smart... thank you

• Like 1

The only time I ask someone about their clubs is if I'm interested in buying them and want their opinion.   

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

5 hours ago, Veners said:

The issue is your point was: it bothers you what clubs other people play (& what car they drive), and if they play clubs you don't like you call them a-holes. 

You sound frustrated and bitter, is your real name Shooter Mcgavin? 

Screenshot_20201221_203828.jpg 

Watching you go through the 5 stages of grief one post at a time is entertaining. We've had Denial, Anger and Bargaining. Let's move you towards Depression that way by tomorrow we can finally move to Acceptance. Here's just a small chunk of the data that shows PXG irons are way over priced. If you need more data, let me know. There is no shortage. 

So bad they had to make the chart bigger just to show it...

image.png.27fb36108f0a4a55d3a4e363b49bca4b.png 

Why be at the bottom once when you can do it twice in the same category?

image.png.bf506780f8f6ee323a2972e51b59835d.png

Finished right next to the cheapest irons on the list here

image.png.f75172051f8acc6c194fb35c352f8423.png

Oh and those Range Rovers that are so pretty...

The most reliable car brands on the American market in 2020

You can say one thing about Land Rover...at least they are consistent

The ever-changing reliability profile of each marque does not reflect the general reputation each brand has for reliability.

image.png

Edited by ProjectX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

MGS... the Bible eh... I certainly read their stuff, but never seen their data or tests debated in here before lol

My gen2 are way better for me than my HMBs were...

ive also seen that very site have a club win one year, then finish middle of the pack the next, when the clubs up against it WERE THE SAME CLUBS IT BEAT THE YEAR BEFORE. 

Just saying. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

4 hours ago, ProjectX said:

Watching you go through the 5 stages of grief one post at a time is entertaining. We've had Denial, Anger and Bargaining. Let's move you towards Depression that way by tomorrow we can finally move to Acceptance. Here's just a small chunk of the data that shows PXG irons are way over priced. If you need more data, let me know. There is no shortage. 

The ever-changing reliability profile of each marque does not reflect the general reputation each brand has for reliability.

image.png

I like your style... You're my kind of people.  😂😂

Edited by bogeypro
Correction
  • Thanks 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

17 hours ago, ProjectX said:

image.png

So by your rules and logic the PXG Xf driver was the most forgiving driver of 2019? 

Not bad for a brand you claim to be played by a-holes. 

I assume the 5 stages of grief is a term someone has used against you which you are now re-using out of context. 

Just don't go using the shooter Mcgavin quote in your car forum. 

Screenshot_20201222_195511_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Veners
Added extra

I am probably in the minority on the forum, and I don't play PXG clubs but, I rarely even notice what equipment other people are playing, except maybe the ball and that is only because I may have to help them identify it.

In fact, sometimes I have to think for a second when people ask me what irons I play or what wedges, etc?

Maybe I'm just dumb and can't remember what clubs I see around? Who knows. 

The moral of the story being, play what you want, as long as it isn't hurting anyone else, (and I'm not sure how it could unless you are playing something illegal and have $ on the line), who cares?

Edited by double_d
  • Like 3

I too play 0211's since they came out and LOVE them!  I have only ran into one other person playing PXGs, 0311 Gen 2s.  Only a few have commented and wanted to hit them, but they like the feel for the most part when they do.  Once I tell them the price (Heroes Program at them time) and what they sell for to everyone now they are intrigued.  Aside from the exorbitant shipping charges that PXG has, only downfall, they are cheaper a lot of times to the other brands with the same or better performance.

Edited by Cleveland_Rocks
  • Like 1

A good player can use anything. I think some of their prices are out of hand, and that's coming from a guy who owns 2.5 sets of Miuras currently. The ST blade is just laughable. Absurd. The 0211 are decently priced no doubt. Are they better than i210s? Probably not and I'd be much more inclined to play the Pings just because I prefer understated. You wouldn't think that given my bag but still. I think they make good product. I don't care what other people think of my stuff. I just think it has to work for you. That said, anybody that plays a full staff bag full of the same brand and isn't a pro is a flat out poser. Never have I ONE TIME seen someone with an impressive game and a setup like that. Not once. Most claim to be near scratch and then shoot in the 90s and "just have an off day". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

A good player can use anything. I think some of their prices are out of hand, and that's coming from a guy who owns 2.5 sets of Miuras currently. The ST blade is just laughable. Absurd. The 0211 are decently priced no doubt. Are they better than i210s? Probably not and I'd be much more inclined to play the Pings just because I prefer understated. You wouldn't think that given my bag but still. I think they make good product. I don't care what other people think of my stuff. I just think it has to work for you. That said, anybody that plays a full staff bag full of the same brand and isn't a pro is a flat out poser. Never have I ONE TIME seen someone with an impressive game and a setup like that. Not once. Most claim to be near scratch and then shoot in the 90s and "just have an off day". 

PXG came out as a high end brand and took a lot of heat for it along with the fact many don't like Parsons.  I see them no different than Callaway with their Epic Forged or Titleist with their CNCPT irons.  If someone wants to pay $350 - $500 per iron what do I care?  What most people don't realize is that previous generations of their clubs are sold much cheaper and they have the 0211 for the budget conscious so I'm not why anyone rags on PXG for being overpriced when they can be purchased at the same price or cheaper than other manufacturers.  

As for guys that play full staff bags of the same brand, I used to agree until I met a few guys that were average golfers with a healthy budget and got talked into a full bag of clubs from a single manufacturer because they ran into a salesperson that convinced them they would all be gapped properly if he want with an entire set.  Some may be posers, but a few are just suckers.  

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

2 hours ago, new2g0lf said:

PXG came out as a high end brand and took a lot of heat for it along with the fact many don't like Parsons.  I see them no different than Callaway with their Epic Forged or Titleist with their CNCPT irons.  If someone wants to pay $350 - $500 per iron what do I care?  What most people don't realize is that previous generations of their clubs are sold much cheaper and they have the 0211 for the budget conscious so I'm not why anyone rags on PXG for being overpriced when they can be purchased at the same price or cheaper than other manufacturers.  

As for guys that play full staff bags of the same brand, I used to agree until I met a few guys that were average golfers with a healthy budget and got talked into a full bag of clubs from a single manufacturer because they ran into a salesperson that convinced them they would all be gapped properly if he want with an entire set.  Some may be posers, but a few are just suckers.  

The funny thing is pre-PXG hardly anyone knew about Parsons, but they sure knew GoDaddy, and people pretty much liked the company and the Super Bowl ads.

To me, it seems the resentment / hate comes from the upstart trying to buy his way into the golf market and buy access to tour players combined with some pretty outlandish performance claims; then add to all that the ridiculous pricing.

It's ironic, the guy at least partially responsible for the proliferation of information on the internet by making websites available for cheap is now victim to the internet calling him out for his nonsense.  There are no secrets here.  Their clubs are no better/worse than offerings from Callaway, Titleist, TaylorMade, Mizuno and Ping...and maybe no better than Tour Edge, Wilson, Honma, XXIO, etc...

So really, what do they have going for them?  The "story"?  A bunch of rivets?  Still, I don't care who plays them. To each their own... But if one of the handful of people I know who has them in the bag wants to try to "sell me" on them, they are going to get from me at best a laugh, or at worse a look that says you're an idiot, just hit the ball.  I know these people well enough, and I'm not speaking for all PXG players, just the ones I know, and I know they are more concerned with appearances/ status than performance.  But I don't care... Good for them, enjoy... just don't think you're impressing me, you are not.

Now if anyone wants to say " I like the looks of PXG, they work for me, I got fit, and these are optimum; yes, they are expensive, but I'm ok with it, it gives me confidence". I'm cool with that and I want too see you play well.  But that also goes true for almost any golfer and any choice they make in clubs because I don't root against you based on club choice, but I will root against you if you are just generally an obnoxious ***** or a pastor for tax purposes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

The funny thing is pre-PXG hardly anyone knew about Parsons, but they sure knew GoDaddy, and people pretty much liked the company and the Super Bowl ads.

To me, it seems the resentment / hate comes from the upstart trying to buy his way into the golf market and buy access to tour players combined with some pretty outlandish performance claims; then add to all that the ridiculous pricing.

It's ironic, the guy at least partially responsible for the proliferation of information on the internet by making websites available for cheap is now victim to the internet calling him out for his nonsense.  There are no secrets here.  Their clubs are no better/worse than offerings from Callaway, Titleist, TaylorMade, Mizuno and Ping...and maybe no better than Tour Edge, Wilson, Honma, XXIO, etc...

So really, what do they have going for them?  The "story"?  A bunch of rivets?  Still, I don't care who plays them. To each their own... But if one of the handful of people I know who has them in the bag wants to try to "sell me" on them, they are going to get from me at best a laugh, or at worse a look that says you're an idiot, just hit the ball.  I know these people well enough, and I'm not speaking for all PXG players, just the ones I know, and I know they are more concerned with appearances/ status than performance.  But I don't care... Good for them, enjoy... just don't think you're impressing me, you are not.

Now if anyone wants to say " I like the looks of PXG, they work for me, I got fit, and these are optimum; yes, they are expensive, but I'm ok with it, it gives me confidence". I'm cool with that and I want too see you play well.  But that also goes true for almost any golfer and any choice they make in clubs because I don't root against you based on club choice, but I will root against you if you are just generally an obnoxious ***** or a pastor for tax purposes.

I believe you play the clubs that make you the best golfer.  I rather people judge my golf game, not my clubs.  I have a buddy that is using the latest Titleist Concept irons ($500 per iron), he hits them no better than he did the AP3's he last had but he likes attention.  He knows all the specs on them and can talk for hours about all the tech that's inside them, but then he hits them and people lose interest.  I think a lot of golfers are looking for that silver bullet that will elevate their game and will pay any price to get them.  

I've honestly never run any golfer playing PXG's that tried to sell me on them.  Before I bought a set, I was always the first to initiate discussions about them and most were more apologetic than bragging about owning them.   I thing braggards will brag about anything they own, golf clubs, cars, boats, etc.  

• Like 1

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

People who care what other people are playing are not worth your time. PXG definitely gives off a certain impression. I think that’s part of the reason guys with money play them. Are they really that better than TMade, Callaway, Ping or Mizuno etc... no they are not.

I did play with a random player once who had the new Callaway Rogue Irons I think or Epic not sure but they were the really expensive ones. He was decent but his round started falling apart.  At the end of the round he started throwing his clubs so expense ones fly just as good as the cheaper ones haha. 

Edited by VCGolfer79

PXG in the past has certainly been expensive, but I don't think that is the case presently.

The 0811 Gen 2 drivers are $225 right now available fully customized.  Who else on the market is offering an equivalent to that?  The 0211 irons can be bought off their ebay site new/almost new for about $60 a club with free shipping or brand new and customized for $89 each.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as to call them a budget brand, but I don't think equivalent deals are currently available from Ping, Callaway, Taylormade, etc... 

Dave

• Like 3

On 12/19/2020 at 2:44 PM, Mustu said:

A question for people who play PXG clubs.  I bought the 0211 irons earlier this year at the $95 sale price and picked up a hybrid from the PXG express store on eBay and just got a decent deal on the 0311 gen 2 from the same store.

I mostly play as a single so I'm playing with random people all the time.  My irons are a curiosity because most people either don't know what they are or all they know is that they are super expensive.  I get it.  Out of the hundreds of people I've played with I think only 1 or 2 have played PXG clubs.  

I feel the need to explain to anyone that comments about them that they were actually pretty inexpensive.  Cheaper than the equivalent Taylormade or Ping I could have bought.  I'm even thinking about getting iron covers for the 0311 so they're not as noticable.  I guess I don't want to be that guy who has more money than game (I'm just an average usually around 10 handicap golfer).

Curious what do other PXG players do.

I bought a Gen 1 0811X driver through the PXG for Heroes deal for $125.00 and they still have some at $115.00. Best deal going as far as I am concerned. 

And even the current prices on Gen2 and the Proto are either cheaper or in line with the major OEMs. I am not trying to drop $500 or $600 on ONE club. I don't care whose name is on it.

• Like 1

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

You can always count on PXG threads to go the same way.     Person starts PXG thread.   Other PXGers jump in and offer some positive thoughts.   Guy with PXG vendetta jumps in to tell all the PXGers how stupid they are to spend so much money.    And then the clusterf*** initiates and then ensues to the point someone on either side starts quoting some internet blog as a statistically scientific validated measurement source to make a point, just before the discussion then swerves into an assessment of who and what Bob Parsons is.     Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/22/2020 at 4:51 PM, TigerInTheWoods said:

I once played with a mizuno guy like that and he shot 65 in front of my eyes. 

I judged him and thought he was a huge poser, then he went lights out on the course. 

There are some really great golfers, with money, that just go to their favorite brand and get fit every few years.  To many private club golfers, $5k is coffee money. 

In terms of pricing, PXG is no longer any different than Ping, Titleist or Callaway. In fact, they may even be cheaper. 

I play PXG for 9 clubs in the bag because they perform great for me, nothing less nothing more. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 9:12 PM, ProjectX said:

image.png

Lol.  I have to say this.   That jd power chart is hilarious.  Dodge at the top ?  Woof.    No offense meant to the mopar faithful.  But.....come on.  Let’s at least make it believable.     

and as far as Land Rover.  Likely due to owners not the car.  People who buy luxury cars are more likely to have complaints about imperfections.  That’s just a given.  Guy who buys a dodge apparently is happy if it starts !  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

I once played with a mizuno guy like that and he shot 65 in front of my eyes. 

I judged him and thought he was a huge poser, then he went lights out on the course. 

There are some really great golfers, with money, that just go to their favorite brand and get fit every few years.  To many private club golfers, $5k is coffee money. 

In terms of pricing, PXG is no longer any different than Ping, Titleist or Callaway. In fact, they may even be cheaper. 

I play PXG for 9 clubs in the bag because they perform great for me, nothing less nothing more. 

that’s awesome. Seriously. Good for him. It’s rare. If it was one brand I’d believe someone did that with it would be mizuno. No chance for Titleist or TM 😄