2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

"Shorts must be Bermuda length"

tw_focus

2 hours ago, Greenie said:

I have several pair of the style golf shorts pictured. 

I'll wear them to an upscale course or a course when I'm not familiar with their dress code. I miss the baggy pocket and especially the lack of a pocket on the left side when wearing them but I'll agree they look much better.

Serous question - what do you carry in all those pockets in your cargo shorts when golfing?

When I golf I of course have a bag with me to carry stuff, so the only thing in my pockets is:

One ball (when not in use) 

1 coin

1 flat plastic marker 

1 long tee

1 short tee

1 divot repair tool

my scorecard holder/scorecard/pencil

My glove (when not in use)

I find the 4 pockets golf shorts are more than adequit to the get the job done.   

Edited by 2bGood

24 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Serous question - what do you carry in all those pockets in your cargo shorts when golfing?

When I golf I of course have a bag with me so the only thing in my pockets is:

1 coin

1 flat plastic marker 

1 long tee

1 short tee

1 divot repair tool

I find the 4 pockets golf shorts offer more than adequit to the get the job done.   

I carry about the same as you plus my wallet and an extra ball.

Extra ball and divot tool in right cargo pocket.

Tee and ballmarker in the right front pocket.

Ballzee ball cleaner in left cargo pocket.

Left front pocket is for my iron cover..Yes I use iron covers.

Right rear is for my wallet.

Left rear is for a small towel.

When I carry I have an electronic score keeper that clips onto my belt.

Voice Buddy GPS clips onto my belt.

I don't like to carry a phone for calls but I do have a few apps that I may use for golf so then my phone goes in the left cargo pocket and the Ballzee goes in my left front pocket.

36 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

When I golf I of course have a bag with me so the only thing in my pockets is:

1 coin

1 flat plastic marker 

1 long tee

1 short tee

1 divot repair tool

I find the 4 pockets golf shorts offer more than adequit to the get the job done.   

I carry les than you.

1 ball

1 coin

1 normal tee

1 short(broken tee)-not even all the time as usually try to find one on par 3 tee boxes

glove.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

2 hours ago, Greenie said:

I carry about the same as you plus my wallet and an extra ball.

Extra ball and divot tool in right cargo pocket.

Tee and ballmarker in the right front pocket.

Ballzee ball cleaner in left cargo pocket.

Left front pocket is for my iron cover..Yes I use iron covers.

Right rear is for my wallet.

Left rear is for a small towel.

When I carry I have an electronic score keeper that clips onto my belt.

Voice Buddy GPS clips onto my belt.

I don't like to carry a phone for calls but I do have a few apps that I may use for golf so then my phone goes in the left cargo pocket and the Ballzee goes in my left front pocket.

Opinions on pool aids for practice or play? Shooting gloves, arm weights,  training balls, cue guides, aiming tools, bank calculators, laser thingies,  etc? What do you find helpful? (The pic is from

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

3 hours ago, 2bGood said:

When I golf I of course have a bag with me to carry stuff, so the only thing in my pockets is:

1 coin

1 flat plastic marker 

1 long tee

1 short tee

1 divot repair tool

I find the 4 pockets golf shorts are more than adequit to the get the job done.   

Not much for me. Divot tool and a few tees and something to mark my ball with and that’s all. Pretty minimalist. But in the pockets with the flaps nothing is slipping out of the pockets and the fabric on mine is heavy enough I don’t have some of the divot tool surprises (use a heavy single pointed one often) I get with the really thin fabric of other shorts or golf pants. 😉

Although I know what courses mean by Bermuda shorts, I did have to look up the technical definition. Bermuda shorts are a particular type of short trousers that have a hem approximately 1 inch above the knee. 

Personally I'm all in favor of golf course dress codes. Maybe that's an outdated way of thinking, but I'm with @EricWGolf when he says there is something nice about being at a place where people look like they care about where they are. Nothing ruins the vibe more than walking up to a course and seeing people in jeans or t-shirts or sandals walking around. Sure some clubs take it too far (requiring a certain color sock) but those places are extremely rare.

Regarding cargo shorts, I'm not a fan but the golf specific ones aren't the worst looking thing I've seen on the course. However, I don't see how some people carry all that stuff in their pockets and still manage to swing a club. Looking at you @Greenie 😉. If I have more than a few tees, a coin, and a divot tool in my pockets I feel weighed down. 

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

Board shorts

Right pocket: a few tees and a coin ('60 Liberty 1/2 Dollar)

Left pocket: Lip balm stick and occasionally an extra ball.

Everything else went into the valuables pouch in my bag.

MCC Align Midsize

On 12/20/2020 at 7:32 PM, EricWGolf said:

I know that I will probably get flamed for this . . . but, with modern tech materials, wearing long pants to play golf in even in oppressive heat isn’t that big of a deal.  I do it all the time.

And I know that I will get flamed even harder this this . . . but I like golf course dress codes.  I like going to a place where shirts are tucked in, belts are worn, shirts have collars, and, generally speaking, the majority of people look “put together.”

Now all of you kids get off my lawn. 😉

I 100% agree with the second statement. Also why I joined somewhere. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 8:02 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Cargos get a bad wrap, but I agree with you about their functionality. There's styles that don't look like cargos that are made specifically for golf. Also the zipoff style is very functional. They are also big in hiking and mountaineering. 

I have no problem with dress codes and don't mind abiding by them. However if for example they require black socks and I'm wearing white shoes I'd prefer to wear white socks. Regardless I'll follow their fashion fauxpaux. 

jyqy8bk9f8z6xn8w5fqp_900x.jpg

do people who wear these shorts actually pack those side pockets with junk?! I couldn’t swing a club with stuff clankin’ against my knees. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 8:02 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Cargos get a bad wrap, but I agree with you about their functionality. There's styles that don't look like cargos that are made specifically for golf. Also the zipoff style is very functional. They are also big in hiking and mountaineering. 

I have no problem with dress codes and don't mind abiding by them. However if for example they require black socks and I'm wearing white shoes I'd prefer to wear white socks. Regardless I'll follow their fashion fauxpaux. 

jyqy8bk9f8z6xn8w5fqp_900x.jpg

We have a highly rated course in town that allows sixsomes, but won't allow these shorts.

At a high end course in Shenzhen China i was forced to buy a new shirt at the pro shop, if i wanted to play that day.  The shirt i wore to the course was long sleeved with buttons down the front = forbidden.

This was before the current novel arm sleeves which provide sun protection.  I have very white skin so need the long sleeves. 

A very expensive day for me.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:59 AM, Greenie said:

I only use that stuff on the range. When I play I'm about ready golf. No digging in one pocket sorting through all my goodies. LOL.. Go to the correct pocket and there it is.

We could have a whole thread about that. 😏 The guy that has no idea what pocket his ball marker is and drops tees and such all over the green trying to find one lol!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

What? Do they count pockets at check-in? 

A friend, that is a member at another high end course, wore these over to play as a guest of his brother in law. His BIL told him not to go in the pro shop because they would not let him play in those shorts.

I have no problem wearing jeans in Sept/Oct when the mornings are less than 10*C, especially when the wind is up.

Other than that it is golf specific shorts.

Also wear collared shirts tucked, belt, no see socks, golf shoes, and pullovers or hoodies as required.

I don’t think golf needs to be overly restrictive on attire to succeed. If you don’t want riff-raff, just price them out at the pro shop.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Very true, but I think the poorly dressed can be eliminated visually and that will take care of the problem, if in fact one views it as a problem.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

13 hours ago, caniac6 said:

A friend, that is a member at another high end course, wore these over to play as a guest of his brother in law. His BIL told him not to go in the pro shop because they would not let him play in those shorts.

Amazing how some places are so high on their horse.  I'm all for dress codes, looking nice and codes of conduct, but banning nice golf shorts simply because they have 2 extra pockets? --- definitely sticks up the as** territory.

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

26 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Amazing how some places are so high on their horse.  I'm all for dress codes, looking nice and codes of conduct, but banning nice golf shorts simply because they have 2 extra pockets? --- definitely sticks up the as** territory.

It would be nice is the dress codes could be as simple as "look nice" or something, but clearly that would mean different things to different people.  How do you craft a policy that bans undesirable clothing, but also doesn't open an establishment claims of discrimination? This is why things like pockets or inseam length (can't be specific but has to be recognizable from a distance), or material are used. 

As for cargo shorts, the image below was the standard:

image.png.2ff70f92aa8e0a8e37f203ae3f4085b8.png

This is not a good look for anyone.  The new ones are OK, but most policies were crafted in an era when cargo shorts looked worse than cutoff jeans.  I honestly don't understand why people are so insistent on presenting themselves poorly and wearing unflattering clothing.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

This is not a good look for anyone.  The new ones are OK, but most policies were crafted in an era when cargo shorts looked worse than cutoff jeans.  I honestly don't understand why people are so insistent on presenting themselves poorly and wearing unflattering clothing.

OK.  You've been to a Walmart, right?

• Haha 1

MCC Align Midsize

4 minutes ago, Socrates said:

OK.  You've been to a Walmart, right?

For sure, they have some cheap clothes that could form a presentable outfit.  Many customers clearly prefer to look disheveled. Doesn't take any more time to put on a pair of pants that fit. Its a choice I don't understand.

3 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

For sure, they have some cheap clothes that could form a presentable outfit.  Many customers clearly prefer to look disheveled. Doesn't take any more time to put on a pair of pants that fit. Its a choice I don't understand.

Agreed. But disheveled is independent from pocket count.

2 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Agreed. But disheveled is independent from pocket count.

Yes, but there is a strong correlation between pocket count and a disheveled appearance. When crafting a policy and trying to avoid issues of discrimination, its a reasonable approximation of items that will be worn by people looking awful.

11 hours ago, Quasimoto said:

I have no problem wearing jeans in Sept/Oct when the mornings are less than 10*C, especially when the wind is up.

Other than that it is golf specific shorts.

Also wear collared shirts tucked, belt, no see socks, golf shoes, and pullovers or hoodies as required.

I don’t think golf needs to be overly restrictive on attire to succeed. If you don’t want riff-raff, just price them out at the pro shop.

Interestingly ‘no see’ socks would get you thrown off many UK courses. A (very) few now insist on long socks, just below the knee, with shorts but a surprisingly amount still require white ankle socks and no ‘trainer’ socks. Don’t ask me why. I always keep a pair o& ankle socks in the car when visiting other courses just in case.

21 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

Yes, but there is a strong correlation between pocket count and a disheveled appearance. When crafting a policy and trying to avoid issues of discrimination, its a reasonable approximation of items that will be worn by people looking awful.

But these golf shorts are not disheveled in any way... and this is what someone said wouldn't be allowed.  However using the pocket rule would permit very poorly fitting pants that look completely disheveled. But he's good because his pants have 4 or less pockets.  Makes no sense.

golf cargo.jpg

9 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

But these golf shorts are not disheveled in any way... and this is what someone said wouldn't be allowed.  However using the pocket rule would permit very poorly fitting pants that look completely disheveled. But he's good because his pants have 4 or less pockets.  Makes no sense.

golf cargo.jpg

Those shorts represent a rather recent development and a very small percentage of cargo shorts.  You keep pointing out an unfortunate exception. I don't disagree that those aren't bad. However, can you craft a policy that allows those but not the standard cargos I posted above, that will also not be completely subjective and open an establishment up to discrimination claims?