Your latest efforts to get the shaft more shallow will just make you hook the ball more.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People drop the rear shoulder to do and and that’s a 2 way miss.  It’s a wrist movement.   Yank the handle for lag, dump the right shoulder to shallow.  That’s almost every 4-10 handicap tha

I’m going to hate myself in the morning.    ‘I’ve been around Trevino a few times.  I did an outing with him, saw him at PGA West all the time and he actually used me to hustle a big donation t

No. You discuss it.

Posted Images

Well I mean Hogan had to use an extreme weak grip and other secrets to prevent his hook problem that he struggled with. More you swing flat and have the clubhead travel more rounded or shallow, higher chance for hooks is my experience.

I think it’s kind of funny in regard to the craze about getting the clubhead underneath hand path for a torque that assists in closing the face. Most good players are trying to prevent the face closing, I know I don’t want any forces adding to my club face closing on me, I want less torque especially when you are strong and I’m swinging very fast. 

2 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

People drop the rear shoulder to do and and that’s a 2 way miss.  It’s a wrist movement.

Yank the handle for lag, dump the right shoulder to shallow.  That’s almost every 4-10 handicap that shows up on my lesson tee.

When I tell them to cast and come over the top, they want to run, but when club head speed goes up and path neutralizes...they say hmmm?!

By cast and come ott do you mean cast and turn to neutralize the inside cast? I’ve never heard you say come ott so this is new to me. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 - Diamana D+ 70x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM Max 15 - GD ADVR 7x

hybrid: Taylormade Sim Max Hybrid 19 - Tensei Pro White 90x

irons (4-pw): Ping iBlade - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

wedges (50,55,60): Vokey Sm7 - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 36"

Ball: Z star XV

11 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

People drop the rear shoulder to do and and that’s a 2 way miss.  It’s a wrist movement.

Yank the handle for lag, dump the right shoulder to shallow.  That’s almost every 4-10 handicap that shows up on my lesson tee.

When I tell them to cast and come over the top, they want to run, but when club head speed goes up and path neutralizes...they say hmmm?!

Keep the right shoulder higher, left lower and swing more left?

39 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

That was me, 14* inside out with an 8 iron

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Blueboard ion 73x G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* KK Slvr 80x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M, & Vokey Special 60*P

Scotty GoLo 7

39 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

That was me, 14* inside out with an 8 iron

I understand  new measuring devices on the market today like Henry Ford might have understood precision emission standards.  

Allow a question, is the 14 degrees measured and divided somehow like 7* on each side of the baseline like  7* in and 7 * out,  or 12* in 2* out,  10* in 4* out or other combinations totaling 14* etc., is that what's spit out.     14* in, zero out, seems easily doable, where does the "in" start to be measured?  

Edited by golfsticks
9 minutes ago, golfsticks said:

I understand  new measuring devices on the market today like Henry Ford might have understood precision emission standards.  

Allow a question, is the 14 degrees measured and divided somehow like 7* on each side of the baseline like  7* in and 7 * out,  or 12* in 2* out,  10* in 4* out or other combinations totaling 14* etc., is that what's spit out.     14* in, zero out, seems easily doable, where does the "in" start to be measured?  

Assuming measured from a lm, then 14* means sweet spot/ club head  traveling 14* right of the target line at impact.    And that is a lot.

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

8 minutes ago, glk said:

Assuming measured from a lm, then 14* means sweet spot/ club head  traveling 14* right of the target line at impact.

For perspective, is right of the target line the player's side of the line?  What is an average out then if it's 14* in, maybe 2* out?  Where does measuring the in start?

Edited by golfsticks
6 minutes ago, golfsticks said:

For perspective, is right of the target line the player's side of the line?  What is an average out then if it's 14* in, maybe 2* out?  Where does measuring the in start?

Independent of whether player is righty or lefty.    Direction of club head relative to target line.   Don’t follow your question.   It is 14* to the right at impact.    In to out typically refers to swing plane - the slanted hula hoop.

see deplane.   

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

12 minutes ago, glk said:

Independent of whether player is righty or lefty.    Direction of club head relative to target line.   Don’t follow your question.   It is 14* to the right at impact.    In to out typically refers to swing plane - the slanted hula hoop.

see deplane.   

Got it, I think, so the club head isn't crossing out and over the target line?

1 hour ago, Golfbeat said:

Yes to first two, no to the last.    Swing left is a result - every righty ends up swinging left but this is typically a reference to the handle moving left with the rotation of the body - folks that stall don’t swing left and trying to do so is just goi g to create more issues.    

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

2 minutes ago, golfsticks said:

Got it, I think, so the club head isn't crossing out and over the target line?

It can be crossing over.   But the important point is the direction it is traveling at impact.   As noted in the video moving right on the downward side and left on the upward side of the plane.     How the golfer angles this plane during their swing determines where it will cross the target line.   Someone would have to swing completely inside the target line to never cross.

Enjoy every sandwich

Good topic. Could totally see how this could happen to some.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

3 hours ago, Golfbeat said:

I hit some nasty low hooks for a period. Did my do diligence and figured out what was causing me too get stuck. You can't drop the right shoulder down if you're going to shallow.  If one is going to shallow then they need to have a good understanding of what match ups are required. Once I understood that I had to balance the steepening and shallowing elements in my swing I was back on track. So the wrists or leg work shallows the club and the right shoulder staying high and moving out brings it back on plane.

• Like 1

For what is is worth, the more I shallow it, the more fade-biased I get. Better shaft angle=better pivot=more left path 

• Like 4

M5 9.0, Grafalloy White Blue 65X

M5 15.0, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

(A) TSi2 21, Tensei AV Raw White 85TX, Set to C1 (B) DHY Proto 18, Diamana D+ 90X

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), Project X 7.0, Red Dot 

Glide 3.0 (51.13SS, 55.13SS, 60.06TS), Project X 6.5 Blackout, Red Dot

Dual Force Rossie #1 (45", 79 lie-"FACE ON REVOLUTION" style)

Pro V1X

Ping Hoofer/Sun Mountain Pushcart

5 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

This was me when I showed up on Monte‘s lesson tee several years ago.

$$$$

7 minutes ago, ALIF said:

Monte, could you extrapolate on this and explain why this is so?

Hypothetically, if you “over shallow” the club correctly with hands, wrists and arms, the only chance to hit the ball is to pivot extremely well and stay in left tilt for an extended period of time.  Have to move the bottom forward to not fat it, etc.  This done well makes it easier to promote a proper left Path and fade.  Poor left path is where myth of fade going shorter than a draw.  See DJ.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Hypothetically, if you “over shallow” the club correctly with hands, wrists and arms, the only chance to hit the ball is to pivot extremely well and stay in left tilt for an extended period of time.  Have to move the bottom forward to not fat it, etc.  This done well makes it easier to promote a proper left Path and fade.  Poor left path is where myth of fade going shorter than a draw.  See DJ.

Sorry for being so obtuse, but how do you “overly shallow” the hands or more importantly what feelings or things should I be trying to do to get this action?

$$$$

19 minutes ago, ALIF said:

Sorry for being so obtuse, but how do you “overly shallow” the hands or more importantly what feelings or things should I be trying to do to get this action?

That’s the point....if you’re doing it correctly, you really can’t, because your body will react and prevent it.

Shallow early, steepen late.

• Like 1