Forgiving Irons with weak lofts

Grant5029

21 minutes ago, kepeollie said:

but not sure how this works in real life, as they say the Blueprints are more forgiving than the i500s. 

I look at the MOI number , that is what I associate with forgiveness . The MOI of i500 is much higher than blueprints. The MPF number throws some wonky results like the blueprints vs i500 numbers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will have to agree with JPX921 Forged with 2*weak on the lofts.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

1 hour ago, RacineBoxer said:

I agree with several others in this thread: get a AW and stop caring about what the number on the bottom of the club is. 

Yeah.  The number stamped on the sole of the club may change, but the lofts and lengths of the irons still stay the same.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

15 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Yeah.  The number stamped on the sole of the club may change, but the lofts and lengths of the irons still stay the same.

I agree with this line of thought.  Especially switching between sets from 1980 and 2005.   LOL

But it's interesting....   I see this mentioned not infrequently here on WRX, but at the same time, you see people rarely going with anything other than the stronger lofted editions.  🙂 🤔

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, cgasucks said:

49 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I agree with this line of thought.  Especially switching between sets from 1980 and 2005.   LOL

But it's interesting....   I see this mentioned not infrequently here on WRX, but at the same time, you see people rarely going with anything other than the stronger lofted editions.  🙂 🤔

Never underestimate the "value" of "You hit a 7 ? I only hit an 8 !!!"  51683a_42ddb696afc442db8322aaeb315a8842~

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 12/20/2020 at 11:08 AM, Grant5029 said:

I am looking to upgrade my current set of irons and want some thoughts on forgiving or game improvement sets that have weak lofts. I don’t need the distance, just help on miss hits. 

What difference does it make if the 7-iron has 34* of loft or 30* of loft?

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

7 hours ago, cgasucks said:

Ok enough already. Here are the iron lofts of the Callaway Mavriks 5-AW vs my old Taylormade R7TP 3-AW. Lets just call it the 21° club to the 51° wedge comparison.

Callaway/TM

21°/21°

24°/24°

27°/27°

31.5°/31°

36°/35°

41°/39°

46°/43°

51°/47°

--° /51° 

So as you can see they start and finish with the same loft but the gap progressions to get there are somewhat different. 

Edited by kiwihacker

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Or if you prefer the Cobra Speedzones. They don't even have a 51° club just jumping from the 48° GW to the 54° SW

Cobra/TM

21°/21°

24°/24°

27.5°/27°

32°/31°

37°/35°

42.5°/39°

48°/43°

54°/47°

--° /51° 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 12:42 PM, NRJyzr said:

Some of the answer will depend on what you call "weak lofts."   And, as nsxguy mentioned, how forgiving do you want to go?  Do you want them to be G410 level forgiving, or is i200/i210 level forgiving enough?

The ultimate answer might be original Eye2 irons.  They're only marginally less forgiving than the i210 based on the measured MOI, and the lofts are pretty old school with a 50.5* pitching wedge.  They also have a lower CG than the i200/i210.  All about whether you can stand the offset at that point (some don't like looking down at them).

Right. That’s why I like the idea of the i210 instead of the G410.  I can learn to shape shots - don’t want the relentless forgiveness to straighten all shots.  Feel in the clubs should tell you about miss hits and possible swing corrections needed.  Numb clinks and clunks don’t seem helpful. 

BTW, I game the EYE2 Gorge 61 deg LW. There’s a reason for the high toe resurgence. Buttery in the bunkers. 

6 hours ago, Funkytee75 said:

Right. That’s why I like the idea of the i210 instead of the G410.  I can learn to shape shots - don’t want the relentless forgiveness to straighten all shots.  Feel in the clubs should tell you about miss hits and possible swing corrections needed.  Numb clinks and clunks don’t seem helpful. 

BTW, I game the EYE2 Gorge 61 deg LW. There’s a reason for the high toe resurgence. Buttery in the bunkers. 

The Ping G won’t “straighten all shots”. Working the ball is about delivering a face to a given path. You can do that with any club. A set of Cleveland launcher hybrid irons can hit any shape you want them to. In fact, it’s easier to curve a ball with less loft so one could argue the ping G “7 iron”would actually be more workable than the i210 7 iron. Further to that, the i210 is filled with their elastomer crap which makes the feedback very “soft” for a cast club but muted. 

I play blades and don’t really believe in iron forgiveness that much but still you shouldn’t perpetuate myths. GI irons are plenty capable of hitting any shot shape. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

The Ping G won’t “straighten all shots”. Working the ball is about delivering a face to a given path. You can do that with any club. A set of Cleveland launcher hybrid irons can hit any shape you want them to. In fact, it’s easier to curve a ball with less loft so one could argue the ping G “7 iron”would actually be more workable than the i210 7 iron. Further to that, the i210 is filled with their elastomer crap which makes the feedback very “soft” for a cast club but muted. 

I play blades and don’t really believe in iron forgiveness that much but still you shouldn’t perpetuate myths. GI irons are plenty capable of hitting any shot shape. 

I’ll recant that the g410 will straighten all shots.  The question is the degree comparison. I will look into this more at my fitting today. But I don’t buy the argument that this G7iron is more workable than the i210 7 iron. Based on the 3 deg of loft difference in the specs?  

The shape and design of the head will restrict or promote certain behaviors from that object struck. If a majority of that weight and mass is in the sole, the club will promote or restrict certain movement.

Edited by Funkytee75
Spelling

1 minute ago, Funkytee75 said:

I’ll recant that the g410 will straighten all shots.  The question it the degree comparison. I will look into this more at my fitting today. But I don’t buy the argument that this G7iron is more workable than the i210. No real facts there. The shape and design of the head will restrict or promote certain behaviors from that object struck. If a majority of that weight and mass is in the sole, the club will promote or restrict certain movement.

This is simply not true, I'm afraid - it's a myth created by the industry. The golf ball and physics do not care how much weight is positioned in the perimeter - they only care about the path, AoA, clubface orientation and dynamic loft. The benefits, for the sake of this discussion, of GI and SGI clubs are in maintaining speed across the face. That is, you'll lose less distance as the ball is struck further from the COG. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

This is simply not true, I'm afraid - it's a myth created by the industry. The golf ball and physics do not care how much weight is positioned in the perimeter - they only care about the path, AoA, clubface orientation and dynamic loft. The benefits, for the sake of this discussion, of GI and SGI clubs are in maintaining speed across the face. That is, you'll lose less distance as the ball is struck further from the COG. 

Appreciate the feedback - the topic is getting me hunting for understanding!

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 11:30 PM, gwelfgulfer said:

Just buy a set with a GW, loft isn't changing, just the numbers on the bottom of the clubs.

This ^

Honest question here, but I'm curious why you care what the lofts are. I ask because I don't see why that would be a factor when purchasing irons. On the course you play to distance, so if you need to hit 150 to the green you pick the club that you hit 150 regardless of the number stamped on the sole. I actually carry two different 50 degree clubs - one that matches my set and one an SM6 - because they go different distances and have different uses. You could scratch the numbers off both and I wouldn't care because all that matters is how I use them and how far I hit them.

15 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Correct left/right spin is a function of path, AoA, face and dynamic loft. Although GI clubs make it harder to launch lower because of head design so I guess one could say it’s less ‘workable’. 

2 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

My experience is the higher the MOI, the less the lateral movement.  Really found this when I switched back to Rams from the Eye2+ I played for a year.

It's not that it doesn't draw/fade, it just does so somewhat less than the lower MOI heads.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

25 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

https://pluggedingolf.com/iron-buyers-guide/

Just injecting another opinion here from the author who appears to be out of the industry.