2021 LPGA Contest

18majors

I suspect there are LPGA players on this forum, perhaps even reading this thread.

Lest any Koreans reading this thread believe there's anti foreigner sentiment from me, let me say that my favorite active woman golfer right is SYK.   With JYK and Inbee on the same list.   

I've just seen too much heartache from those I voted for, so I'm wishing that they have better years. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lobby said:

I suspect there are LPGA players on this forum, perhaps even reading this thread.

Lest any Koreans reading this thread believe there's anti foreigner sentiment from me, let me say that my favorite active woman golfer right is SYK.   With JYK and Inbee on the same list.   

I've just seen too much heartache from those I voted for, so I'm wishing that they have better years. 

The reverse-jinx at work!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Contest update (subject to changes before Thursday, January 21, 2021):

Picks

Sharrow:                        Jin Young Ko, Sei Young Kim, Hannah Green, Jeong Eun Lee6, A Lim Kim

Supermilo:                     Jin Young Ko, Sei Young Kim, So Yeon Ryu, Su-Hyun Oh, Bianca Pagdanganan

agolf1:                            Jin Young Ko, Minjee Lee, Nelly Korda, Jeong Eun Lee6, Yealimi Noh

MagicClassic407:          Sei Young Kim, Lydia Ko, Charley Hull, Brittany Lang, Matilda Castren

BadgerLin:                     Sei Young Kim, Brooke Henderson, Nelly Korda, Marina Alex, Yealimi Noh

Argonne69:                   Jin Young Ko, Sei Young Kim, Nelly Korda, Jeong Eun Lee6, Yealimi Noh

Lobby:                           Danielle Kang, Lydia Ko, Amy Olson, Maria Fassi, Yealimi Noh

18majors:                       Lydia Ko, Brooke Henderson, Nelly Korda, Jessica Korda, Yealimi Noh 

• Thanks 1

This is the frist time Yealimi Noh talking about shooting 80 (+9) at the final round of 2020 USWO to fall out of contention.  As expected, she took it in stride!

Yealimi Noh "A mistake, 80 hurt... painful experience, should be an opportunity for growth"

"On the last day of the US Women's Open, she hit a 9-over par 80. The worst score came out in a situation where there was a chance to win and even if it was an even par, it was possible to finish in 5th place alone. “The 80 mark is the first score in five years. On the most important day when I was in good shape, I hit my 80s, which I didn't shoot even when I was in junior.”  As my anxiety grew, I almost felt my mental collapse in the second half.” “Looking back, I guess I forgot that the weather gets colder and the course is the most difficult to set up. I had to abandon the birdie greed and play a game to reduce mistakes... .” "It's the first time I've done a good job in a major competition for 3 days, and it's my first time ever since I became a pro in my 80s, so I have a lot of experience in the first US Open."   Fortunately, I think I can grow further in the future.”

출처 : https://www.sedaily.com/NewsVIew/22H7Q7WFKA

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

This is a nice article about LPGA rookies by Beth Ann Nichlos:

Kyle Morrison caddied for Anna Nordqvist and Mo Martin before

LPGA’s Yealimi Noh, Haley Moore and Andrea Lee among those who are rookies all over again in 2021

"Noh, like many rookies before her, had underestimated the role a caddie plays in her success. David Stone picked

up her back for the last few events of the LPGA season and she saw an immediate change.

“The first event that I was with him I played really well,” she said of her tie for second at the Volunteers of America Classic. “The week before I was playing the same exact golf, it was just that he was next to me giving me a lot of confidence, hyping me up. Now I know exactly what I want to hear, what I want in a game plan.”

While Stone heads back to the PGA Tour, he helped Noh connect with Kyle Morrison for the 2021 season.

Noh said everything about her success comes down to putting. She has big goals set for her second rookie year, starting with winning an event “as soon as possible.” She’d also like to be a rookie on this year’s U.S. Solheim Cup team and compete in the Tokyo Summer Olympics.

Noh, who has contended several times already on the LPGA, said Sei Young Kim has taken on a sisterly role, first reaching out after she finished runner-up at the 2019 Cambia Portland Classic as a non-member.

The focus in 2021 has shifted from trying to experience everything for the first time, she said, to playing to win. The talented teen is comfortable with whatever pressure follows.

“A little pressure never kills anyone,” said Noh. “I think pressure is great.”

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

Will Brooke win four times in 2021 to make up for 2020 shortcoming?

Brooke Henderson plans to make up for lost time starting with the LPGA Tournament of Champions

"Henderson said she wasn’t disappointed about not winning last year, having only played 10 times, and is anxious to start a more robust schedule with the Tournament of Champions — expanded for one year only to include winners from the past three seasons."

spacer.png

Edited by 18majors

I don't put a ton of stock in the 2020 season (results or stats) given all the moving parts.  One thing I did notice is that Brooke and Lee6 seemed to have jumped on the fitness train.  In totality (as a person, life, etc) I can't say if this is good or bad.  But from a golf swing perspective it remains to be seen what the impact is.  We all know the margins at the top are razor thin.  Comfort standing over the ball and timing being off a millisecond are the difference between making a very good living and pushing your name up the history books.  Both have an immense amount of natural talent and potential.  Hopefully they don't throw away precious years as others unfortunately have done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, agolf1 said:

I don't put a ton of stock in the 2020 season (results or stats) given all the moving parts.  One thing I did notice is that Brooke and Lee6 seemed to have jumped on the fitness train.  In totality (as a person, life, etc) I can't say if this is good or bad.  But from a golf swing perspective it remains to be seen what the impact is.  We all know the margins at the top are razor thin.  Comfort standing over the ball and timing being off a millisecond are the difference between making a very good living and pushing your name up the history books.  Both have an immense amount of natural talent and potential.  Hopefully they don't throw away precious years as others unfortunately have done.

I'm sure you've read about Bryson DeChambeau!

Over the years, the biggest controversy on fitness was on Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy; both happened to have very good careers.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:32 PM, 18majors said:

This is a nice article about LPGA rookies by Beth Ann Nichlos:

Kyle Morrison caddied for Anna Nordqvist and Mo Martin before

LPGA’s Yealimi Noh, Haley Moore and Andrea Lee among those who are rookies all over again in 2021

"Noh, like many rookies before her, had underestimated the role a caddie plays in her success. David Stone picked

up her back for the last few events of the LPGA season and she saw an immediate change.

“The first event that I was with him I played really well,” she said of her tie for second at the Volunteers of America Classic. “The week before I was playing the same exact golf, it was just that he was next to me giving me a lot of confidence, hyping me up. Now I know exactly what I want to hear, what I want in a game plan.”

While Stone heads back to the PGA Tour, he helped Noh connect with Kyle Morrison for the 2021 season.

Noh said everything about her success comes down to putting. She has big goals set for her second rookie year, starting with winning an event “as soon as possible.” She’d also like to be a rookie on this year’s U.S. Solheim Cup team and compete in the Tokyo Summer Olympics.

Noh, who has contended several times already on the LPGA, said Sei Young Kim has taken on a sisterly role, first reaching out after she finished runner-up at the 2019 Cambia Portland Classic as a non-member.

The focus in 2021 has shifted from trying to experience everything for the first time, she said, to playing to win. The talented teen is comfortable with whatever pressure follows.

“A little pressure never kills anyone,” said Noh. “I think pressure is great.”

Pretty unfair to consider Yealimi a rookie again,along with the other 2020 rookies.

2 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Pretty unfair to consider Yealimi a rookie again,along with the other 2020 rookies.

Fair or not, they knew it from the very begging.

If they count 2020 as a full season, Yealimi Noh would've been the first American to win Rookie of the Year award since Paula Creamer did it in 2005.

6 hours ago, agolf1 said:

I think Brooke played lots of games so to speak with her body and fitness, this season.  I mean it in a way of how she worked out.  Early on she was dropping lots of muscle mass and working on being more sleek and trim.  I don't think it was for golf cause it went 180 degree the other way after her sister's wedding.  I think cause wedding photo's are forever, she was trying to look good for them.  I don't mean this in any sexist way, I'm just sure we all know women who were part of a wedding party, that fitness'd up for the big day even when they aren't the bride.  She actually lost some driving distance around this time but after the wedding she went back to adding the muscle, you could see it in her shoulder's but especially in her legs and then she started smoking the ball very long off the tee again.  It's tough to notice cause Brooke always wears pants unless it's really hot but she's always had tree trunks for legs, she gets a lot of power from them.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:44 AM, 18majors said:

Will Brooke win four times in 2021 to make up for 2020 shortcoming?

Brooke Henderson plans to make up for lost time starting with the LPGA Tournament of Champions

"Henderson said she wasn’t disappointed about not winning last year, having only played 10 times, and is anxious to start a more robust schedule with the Tournament of Champions — expanded for one year only to include winners from the past three seasons."

spacer.png

If she can get her putts per round to 29 and her scrambling percentage over 50%, I can see her winning maybe 3-4 times.  Scrambling will be the easy one, she's generally pretty high up in that category.  Her putting last season was a bit outside her statistical norms and coupled with  an overall loss of confidence in her short game probably got in her head and hurt scrambling, especially at the end of the year.

• Like 2

We're close to the finish line, awaiting @Golf Dino

Picks

Sharrow:                        Jin Young Ko, Sei Young Kim, Hannah Green, Jeong Eun Lee6, A Lim Kim

Supermilo:                     Jin Young Ko, Sei Young Kim, So Yeon Ryu, Su-Hyun Oh, Bianca Pagdanganan

agolf1:                            Jin Young Ko, Minjee Lee, Nelly Korda, Jeong Eun Lee6, Yealimi Noh

MagicClassic407:          Sei Young Kim, Lydia Ko, Charley Hull, Brittany Lang, Matilda Castren

BadgerLin:                     Sei Young Kim, Brooke Henderson, Nelly Korda, Marina Alex, Yealimi Noh

Argonne69:                   Jin Young Ko, Sei Young Kim, Nelly Korda, Jeong Eun Lee6, Yealimi Noh

Lobby:                           Danielle Kang, Lydia Ko, Amy Olson, Maria Fassi, Yealimi Noh

Stooch:                          Minjee Lee, Brooke Henderson, Jennifer Kupcho, Ashleigh Buhai, Yealimi Noh

18majors:                       Lydia Ko, Brooke Henderson, Nelly Korda, Jessica Korda, Yealimi Noh 

Edited by 18majors

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

After losing my internet for 3 weeks I'm back lol so here's my picks

1-10 Brooke Henderson and Minjee Lee (I think Minjee breaks out this year)

11-45 Jennifer Kupcho (wanted Lydia but my picks will be to close to 18 Majors, early bird gets the worm on this one lol)

48-90 Ashleigh Buhai

Rookie Yealimi Noh

3 wks??? what the hell happened?  they went lockdown mode too? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

3 wks??? what the hell happened?  they went lockdown mode too? 

lol No, I get my internet from a satellite and the satellite I was on was being decommissioned in Dec.  I was scheduled since Sept to be upgraded to the newest satellite but my appointments kept getting cancelled and I finally get an appointment in Dec near the cut-off. I was told the new satellite uses a different orbit and my dish would have to be in a completely different area.  It wouldn't have been that big of an issue if my other appointments weren't cancelled.  By mid December with 3 feet of snow on the ground and the ground itself as solid as concrete it made moving the metal post from it's existing spot to the new spot very challenging to say the least lol  But after I got over my initial anger of the situation and went to my engineering background and applied some redneck principles, it was actually rather easy lol  But because it was basically over Xmas and the New Year, it was more about getting the tech to comeback out.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stooch said:

lol No, I get my internet from a satellite and the satellite I was on was being decommissioned in Dec.  I was scheduled since Sept to be upgraded to the newest satellite but my appointments kept getting cancelled and I finally get an appointment in Dec near the cut-off. I was told the new satellite uses a different orbit and my dish would have to be in a completely different area.  It wouldn't have been that big of an issue if my other appointments weren't cancelled.  By mid December with 3 feet of snow on the ground and the ground itself as solid as concrete it made moving the metal post from it's existing spot to the new spot very challenging to say the least lol  But after I got over my initial anger of the situation and went to my engineering background and applied some redneck principles, it was actually rather easy lol  But because it was basically over Xmas and the New Year, it was more about getting the tech to comeback out.

The company I co-founded sold products to Direct Broadcast Satellite market in the early nineties when it sprouted from the UK onto other European markets.  It's fun for a while.

But the writing was on the wall when fiber and Internet becamce pervasive and the rest is history.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, 18majors said:

We're close to the finish line, awaiting @Golf Dino

Picks

Lobby:                           Danielle Kang, Lydia Ko, Amy Olson, Maria Fassi, Yealimi Noh

Stooch:                          Minjee Lee, Brooke Henderson, Jennifer Kupcho, Ashleigh Buhai, Yealimi Noh

I've been rather unwell these past several weeks.  The only person in my "social bubble" (my book keeper) got a little careless or reckless and introduced me to Covid ... so it has been a very slow recovery -- some 5 weeks and counting.  

So I will have a look and try and respond by Tuesday.

• Sad 7

16 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

I've been rather unwell these past several weeks.  The only person in my "social bubble" (my book keeper) got a little careless or reckless and introduced me to Covid ... so it has been a very slow recovery -- some 5 weeks and counting.  

Hope the worst is over for you, get well soon!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Get well!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Get well soon!  

• Like 1