2021 LPGA Contest

18majors

45 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Looks like you should have a very cozy lead in this game by the time the Koreans decide to start playing. As I said before, well played.

It looks that way, thanks.

Nevertheless, I’m comfortable my young crew (average age < 23) is ready to challenge the Koreans.

1 minute ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

I don’t remember ever seeing entries posted this far ahead of a regular tournament. Isn’t the deadline normally the Friday before the first round? If Jin Young Ko decides next week that she wants to play Kia then she’s playing Kia. 

Yes, the field can change.

I know Gainbridge and DriveOn are early for internationals.  But Kia is right before ANA, they should be here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Yes, the field can change.

I know Gainbridge and DriveOn are early for internationals.  But Kia is right before ANA, they should be here.

Yea, totally understandable if Koreans and Australians don’t want to go all the way to Florida for those two events but not to come over for Kia one week before and in close proximity to ANA to tune up would be odd. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Yea, totally understandable if Koreans and Australians don’t want to go all the way to Florida for those two events but not to come over for Kia one week before and in close proximity to ANA to tune up would be odd. 

Unless, of course, they have inside info already that it ain't gonna happen. 🤐

• Like 1

The Tournament Entries for the next three tournaments have received new entries everyday; bumping many 2019 Q-Schoolers out of the tournement.  

Matilda Castren was well inside the field for Gainbridge and DriveOn, now she's reserve #7.

I don't expect Koreans and Australians enter either Gainbridge or DriveOn.   But there're good chances they'll play both Kia and ANA.  

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

This is what winning USWO meaned to a Korean player:

A Lim Kim, living a dream

"Alim Kim spent a warm Stove League during the year-end and New Year holidays. There are also 10 sponsors who signed the contract. The contract was renewed with the main sponsor, SBI Savings Bank, and extended contracts with Mizuno (club), Phantom (clothing), Titleist (ball, shoes, gloves), Voice Caddy, Rudy, and Sky72. New sponsorship contracts were signed with OSP (pet food), Eloel (cosmetics), and Coffee Smith (beverage). It deserves to be called a walking billboard."

Her winter traing will end on March 4, so most likely she will start with Kia.

57 minutes ago, 18majors said:

This is what winning USWO meaned to a Korean player:

A Lim Kim, living a dream

"Alim Kim spent a warm Stove League during the year-end and New Year holidays. There are also 10 sponsors who signed the contract. The contract was renewed with the main sponsor, SBI Savings Bank, and extended contracts with Mizuno (club), Phantom (clothing), Titleist (ball, shoes, gloves), Voice Caddy, Rudy, and Sky72. New sponsorship contracts were signed with OSP (pet food), Eloel (cosmetics), and Coffee Smith (beverage). It deserves to be called a walking billboard."

Her winter traing will end on March 4, so most likely she will start with Kia.

She did thank a whole slew of sponsors during her post tournament interview after the US Open, so not a surprise for her... rooting for her, despite choosing BP as my rookie pick (biased pick of course)... I take pride asking you about "Who is A Lim Kim?" during round 1 of the said tournament haha 😛

• Like 2

Speaking of poor timing; one doesn't have to look beyond Kelly Tan!

She had her best LPGA season last year and finished No. 54 on the money list but that's all for naugh.  She isn't qualfied to paly either Gainbridge nor DriveOn and she's currently #130 on Kia Entry List.

Sne can only hope that no more than fifteen higher priority players sign up between now and late March in order to play Kia.

Edited by 18majors
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Speaking of poor timing; one doesn't have to look beyond Kelly Tan!

She had her best LPGA season last year and finished No. 54 on the money list but that's all for naugh.  She isn't qualfied to paly either Gainbridge nor DriveOn and she's currently #130 on Kia Entry List.

Sne can only hope that no more than fifteen higher priority players sign up between now and late March in order to play Kia.

I kinda knew this would happen, hence I changed my pick from KT to Su Oh... otherwise, I'd have so many picks sitting on the bench again.... might as well gamble with Su Oh LOL...

Edited by HMHS
added who i picked before and who i changed it to

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, 18majors said:

@Supermilo

US Women's Open is using 2020 Race to CME Globe Final Points as one exemption category.  Most likely, 2020 Top-80 Official Money list will be exempted at ANA Inspiration.

Exempt Players

So Bianca is in 2021 US open you think and most likely qualifies for ANA (eg >50% chance to qualify?). If so, well, she does have a knack to deliver on whatever  little opportunities she gets (the fewer chances the better she plays) dun ask me why, she loves that kind of pressure it seems :)

4 hours ago, Supermilo said:

So Bianca is in 2021 US open you think and most likely qualifies for ANA (eg >50% chance to qualify?). If so, well, she does have a knack to deliver on whatever  little opportunities she gets (the fewer chances the better she plays) dun ask me why, she loves that kind of pressure it seems 🙂

I don't know about USWO becase the list is only for players inside 2020 Top-30 Race to CME Globe.

But, ANA is promising.

• Thanks 1

Frankly, I'm more interested in the upcoming Monday Qualification than PGA's Genesis Invitational.

One of our picks, Bianca Pagdanganan is in the field; and it's a loaded one.  Mina Harigae, Christina Kim, Matilda Castren, Andrea Lee, Esther Hensleit, Klara Spilkova, Alison Lee, Ana Belac, Frida Kinhult and Kristy McPherson are also in the field.

It's been a pretty long offseason, CME Tour Championship was ten weeks ago.  Many things could've changed without us knowning.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 18majors said:

Frankly, I'm more interested in the upcoming Monday Qualification than PGA's Genesis Invitational.

One of our picks, Bianca Pagdanganan is in the field; and it's a loaded one.  Christina Kim, Matilda Castren, Andrea Lee, Esther Hensleit, Klara Spilkova, Alison Lee, Ana Belac, Frida Kinhult and Kristy McPherson are also in the field.

It's been a pretty long offseason, CME Tour Championship was ten weeks ago.  Many things could've changed without us knowning.

And yet, Muni He is automatically in ... not that I wish her ill will, rather to the contrary.  But, that is a pretty good Monday Q field for two spots.  Realistically, its Bianca's only way in to the event as she is currently 23rd on the reserve list.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

And yet, Muni He is automatically in ... not that I wish her ill will, rather to the contrary.  But, that is a pretty good Monday Q field for two spots.  Realistically, its Bianca's only way in to the event as she is currently 23rd on the reserve list.

I was not sure what they would do with qualifying, nor do I have some magic/perfect solution for the situation.  Perhaps allow category 13 (current year reshuffle) to include results from 2020 for people ranked in category 14 and below?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, agolf1 said:

I was not sure what they would do with qualifying, nor do I have some magic/perfect solution for the situation.  Perhaps allow category 13 (current year reshuffle) to include results from 2020 for people ranked in category 14 and below?

In a recent podcast show with Beth Ann Nichols and Sophie Walker (SkySports & former LET Player), there was some discussion about how restrictive the LPGA is in terms of playing privileges.  Not only is it harder to get on the tour its also harder to get dropped out of the tour ... or that is the issue raised.  

So there probably should have been a re-shuffle in an effort to even things out.

5 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

In a recent podcast show with Beth Ann Nichols and Sophie Walker (SkySports & former LET Player), there was some discussion about how restrictive the LPGA is in terms of playing privileges.  Not only is it harder to get on the tour its also harder to get dropped out of the tour ... or that is the issue raised.  

So there probably should have been a re-shuffle in an effort to even things out.

My gut reaction is delete category 11 (81-100).  If only for the fact that I think earning a card should give you a chance to play (fairly regularly).  I've always thought there was a bit of a disconnect between the Symetra Top 10 and the Q Series (winner all the way to any qualifier) as well.

Although this is likely a situation where there is no perfect solution and what one thinks is good or bad is largely dependent on what side of the fence you are on.  Welcome to the world of scare resources.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, agolf1 said:

My gut reaction is delete category 11 (81-100).  If only for the fact that I think earning a card should give you a chance to play (fairly regularly).  I've always thought there was a bit of a disconnect between the Symetra Top 10 and the Q Series (winner all the way to any qualifier) as well.

Although this is likely a situation where there is no perfect solution and what one thinks is good or bad is largely dependent on what side of the fence you are on.  Welcome to the world of scare resources.

Completely agree on the gut reaction of deleting 81-100 -- maybe bec I'm also "used" to ranking players on top 80 money list category.  But yes, in a way with "scare resources", law of evolution eventually wins out anyway longer term -- the problem with the LPGA is that luck plays a huge factor - esp in monday qualifiers

Next week marks the official start of our contest.  Fifteen players are in the field not including Bianca who may join them from Monday qualification.

It's an Olympic year and Koreans are taking it seriously.  Sei Young, Jin Young, Sung Hyun and Lee6 are in the field while So Yeon and A Lim are missing.

None of the three Australians are in the field, while Marina Alex is the only pick missing among players from Europe, New Zealand or North America.

The winner should get 43.00 Rolex points or more next week, more than doubling Jessica Korda's 20.50 from her win.

Final field, alphabetic list

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

This is the first betting odds for 2021, LPGA money list:

Jin Young Ko   10/3      Sei Young Kim   5/1      Danielle Kang  15/2      Nelly Korda  9/1      Brooke Henderson  16/1

So Yeon Ryu    20/1      Jessica Korda   20/1    Minjee Lee       28/1      Lydia Ko      40/1     Amy Olson               50/1

Sung H Park    50/1       Lee6                 60/1    Charley Hull     66/1      A Lim Kim    66/1     Yealimi Noh             80/1   

Marina Alex    100/1     Jen Kupcho     200/1    Hannah Green  250/1

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1