Jump to content

2021 LPGA Contest


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

At the conclusion of ANA Inspiration on Sunday, April 4, 2021:

 

It's a Major and our picks scored a lot of points.  @18majors edged @MagicClassic407 for the win.

 

                                                                                                        This Week                          2021 Season

1.   @18majors                                                                               98.65                                  259.36

2.   @MagicClassic407                                                                  97.50                                   153.69

3.   @Argonne69                                                                           76.03                                  197.28

4.   @Lobby                                                                                   74.20                                  184.35

5.   @BadgerLin                                                                             63.40                                  171.03

6.   @Sharrow                                                                               56.53                                   102.66

7.   @Golf Dino                                                                              53.93                                   185.81

8.   @agolf1                                                                                   52.73                                   181.51

9.   @jumpcut                                                                                49.73                                   101.30

10.  @Supermilo                                                                             47.03                                   96.99

11.  @Stooch                                                                                  13.05                                   86.19

 

Top Ten Players:

 

1.   Nelly Korda                                                                                                                              101.25

2.   Lydia Ko                                                                                                                                   96.85

3.   Jin Young Ko                                                                                                                           52.63

4.   Danielle Kang                                                                                                                          44.48

5.    Amy Olson                                                                                                                              39.86

6.   Jennifer Kupcho                                                                                                                      36.48

7.   Sei Young Kim                                                                                                                          35.93

8.   Jessica Korda                                                                                                                          33.64

9.   Brooke Henderson                                                                                                                   24.46

10.  Minjee Lee                                                                                                                               20.16                                                                                                                             

                                                                       

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been rather unwell these past several weeks.  The only person in my "social bubble" (my book keeper) got a little careless or reckless and introduced me to Covid ... so it has been a very slow re

Take it easy, you're not the contestant who decided to take Sung Hyun Park cause she was bound to have a bounce back season 🙂

After losing my internet for 3 weeks I'm back lol so here's my picks 1-10 Brooke Henderson and Minjee Lee (I think Minjee breaks out this year) 11-45 Jennifer Kupcho (wanted Lydia but my pic

Posted (edited)

Since Patty Tavatanakit took the overall #1 spot from Nelly Korda, It makes sense to post a overall Top Ten list to gauge the performance of our picks:

 

1.   Patty Tavatanakit                                      116.43

2.   Nelly Korda                                                101.25

3.   Lydia Ko                                                     96.85

4.   Inbee Park                                                 84.33

5.   Lexi Thompson                                          71.31

6.   Austin Ernst                                               57.84

7.   Jin Young Ko                                              52.63

8.   Danielle Kang                                             44.48

9.   Amy Olson                                                 39.86

10.  Jennifer Kupcho                                       36.48

 

We've six in the Top-10 right now; I expect we'll sweep the Top-5 at the end of the season.   

 

This list is the harbinger of things to come in world rankings and it bodes well for the Yankees.

Edited by 18majors
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 18majors said:

At the conclusion of ANA Inspiration on Sunday, April 4, 2021:

 

It's a Major and our picks scored a lot of points.  @18majors edged @MagicClassic407 for the win.

 

                                                                                                        This Week                          2021 Season

1.   @18majors                                                                               98.65                                  259.36

2.   @MagicClassic407                                                                  97.50                                   153.69

3.   @Argonne69                                                                           76.03                                  197.28

4.   @Lobby                                                                                   74.20                                  184.35

5.   @BadgerLin                                                                             63.40                                  171.03

6.   @Sharrow                                                                               56.53                                   102.66

7.   @Golf Dino                                                                              53.93                                   185.81

8.   @agolf1                                                                                   52.73                                   181.51

9.   @jumpcut                                                                                49.73                                   101.30

10.  @Supermilo                                                                             47.03                                   96.99

11.  @Stooch                                                                                  13.05                                   86.19

 

Top Ten Players:

 

1.   Nelly Korda                                                                                                                              101.25

2.   Lydia Ko                                                                                                                                   96.85

3.   Jin Young Ko                                                                                                                           52.63

4.   Danielle Kang                                                                                                                          44.48

5.    Amy Olson                                                                                                                              39.86

6.   Jennifer Kupcho                                                                                                                      36.48

7.   Sei Young Kim                                                                                                                          35.93

8.   Jessica Korda                                                                                                                          33.64

9.   Brooke Henderson                                                                                                                   24.46

10.  Minjee Lee                                                                                                                               20.16                                                                                                                             

                                                                       

Why do laggards keep staying as laggards??? Oh well at least I got good company😂... C'mon Su Oh, get going 😂

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Why do laggards keep staying as laggards??? Oh well at least I got good company😂... C'mon Su Oh, get going 😂

 

 

Don't worry, we're less than 20% into the season; you could still be No. Uno before all are said and done.

 

Nobody is perfect.  One could've picked Inbee Park, Lydia Ko, Nelly Korda, Jessica Korda and Patty Tavatanakit and pocketed 432.50 points.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 18majors said:

 

 

Don't worry, we're less than 20% into the season; you could still be No. Uno before all are said and done.

 

Nobody is perfect.  One could've picked Inbee Park, Lydia Ko, Nelly Korda, Jessica Korda and Patty Tavatanakit and pocketed 432.50 points.

Btw congrats on the torch passing eg gwaa 😂

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 18majors said:

We'll start the sixth tournament of the season in two days, but half of our picks have either not scored or scored less than ten points.  All of them need a "Lydia Ko ANA Final Round" kicks.

 

Speaking of Lydia, will she continue to fly high or falter?  Can't wait to find out!

 

Well, it's always easier to go down than up. However, her swing really looks dialed in, so I think she'll continue moving up.

 

  • Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BadgerLin said:

I’d sure like to see Sei Young throw down one of her super low rounds!  And if Brooke could climb up the board a few spots...

Brooke is so lost with her putting right now I don't see a big charge unless she gets lucky and laws of statistical probably even out lol , forget about not having the answers she doesn't even know the questions lol  Through 3 rounds she's 52/54 in greens in reg has 2 bogeys for the tournament and both are 3-putts her 3rd 3-putt was for par on par 5.  Sure some of the greens in reg you'll gladly 2-putt and move on but 14 birdies in 52 attempts, you're leaving way too many strokes on the course

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Brooke is so lost with her putting right now I don't see a big charge unless she gets lucky and laws of statistical probably even out lol , forget about not having the answers she doesn't even know the questions lol  Through 3 rounds she's 52/54 in greens in reg has 2 bogeys for the tournament and both are 3-putts her 3rd 3-putt was for par on par 5.  Sure some of the greens in reg you'll gladly 2-putt and move on but 14 birdies in 52 attempts, you're leaving way too many strokes on the course

 

Brooke is currently outside of #15 in current year Rolex point tally, this is very unlike the Brooke we know.

 

The pre-2020 Brooke used to marvel me with tens of 30-40 feet putts and I've always thought putting was her strength when comparing her to Nelly.   I don't know her private life but I wonder whether her priority started to change in 2020 when she decided not to play every tournament available.  

 

I hope things start to turn upside for her, since she's such a great talent and these are her prime years.

 

 

 

Edited by 18majors
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 18majors said:

 

Brooke is currently outside of #15 in current year Rolex point tally, this is very unlike the Brooke we know.

 

The pre-2020 Brooke used to marvel me with terns of 30-40 feet putts and I've always thought putting was her strength when comparing her to Nelly.   I don't know her private life but I wonder whether her priority started to change in 2020 when she decided not to play every tournament available.  

 

I hope things start to turn upside for her, since she's such a great talent and these are her prime years.

 

 

 

Really, I think sorta like the yips, she can't pull the trigger.  I honestly can't tell when I'm watching if she had a bad read (and she does, but no more than any other player) it's that she never hits the ball to the hole and usually really short.  Even if you don't want outside help, that's an easy fix, hit the ball harder and be more aggressive.  Many times her putt looks really good than stops 3 feet from the hole.  She'll have to work herself out of it but on the positive side just going back to the mean will be plenty to compete every week, cause she taken her ballstriking up even another level from coming on tour and that was always really good to start with.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stooch said:

Really, I think sorta like the yips, she can't pull the trigger.  I honestly can't tell when I'm watching if she had a bad read (and she does, but no more than any other player) it's that she never hits the ball to the hole and usually really short.  Even if you don't want outside help, that's an easy fix, hit the ball harder and be more aggressive.  Many times her putt looks really good than stops 3 feet from the hole.  She'll have to work herself out of it but on the positive side just going back to the mean will be plenty to compete every week, cause she taken her ballstriking up even another level from coming on tour and that was always really good to start with.

 

She knows what she has to do to correct/improve in that area, but will she have the strength of character and will to do so remains to be seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

 

She knows what she has to do to correct/improve in that area, but will she have the strength of character and will to do so remains to be seen.

Honestly you don't have to do anything big, she's on the Olympic Team, I believe Derek Ingram is his name works with Corey Connors, I'm sure he'd show up to an event if asked, pretty sure he's one of Team Canada Olympic coaches, use that Golf Canada connection, while your Dad can't get to you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Honestly you don't have to do anything big, she's on the Olympic Team, I believe Derek Ingram is his name works with Corey Connors, I'm sure he'd show up to an event if asked, pretty sure he's one of Team Canada Olympic coaches, use that Golf Canada connection, while your Dad can't get to you.

 

 

Actually, Tristan Mullaly is the better putting coach (IMHO).  But yes, she needs to break away from her father's unhealthy obsession of overseeing every aspect of her game.  IF her putting was just a couple of strokes better per round, she would have won a few more events/majors by now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Golf Dino said:

 

 

Actually, Tristan Mullaly is the better putting coach (IMHO).  But yes, she needs to break away from her father's unhealthy obsession of overseeing every aspect of her game.  IF her putting was just a couple of strokes better per round, she would have won a few more events/majors by now.

 

For what I understand Tristan wanted to change her swing, I image trust was broken right there.  I also I blame Brooke, she's 23, if she can't take charge of her own career, then I don't see her winning much anymore as a result.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Blah, we've got the Top-2, but not a sweep we wanted.  As a consolation, Lydia and Nelly rightfully took the Top-2 overall spots back from Patty Tavatanakit.

 

As far as our contest, it's a reversal from last week.  @MagicClassic407 edged out @18majors for the win.  However, we need to wait until Rolex's updates to confirm it.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I believe the biggest trend in women's golf right now is "The best days for Korean women are over."  As good as Inbee, Jin Young and Sei Young have been, they can't reverse the tides.  I know it's early but I'm not just saying it now, I've been saying it since the start of the season.

 

After six events this year; the Top-3 golfers, Lydia Ko, Nelly Korda and Patty Tavatanakit aren't Koreans.  More importantly; they're very young, 23, 22 and 21 respectively.

 

Jin Young, 25, is youngest of Korea's Big-3.  The best Koreans age 23 and younger are Hae Ran Ryu and Hye Jin Cho, 20 and 21.  Hae Ran is ranked #19 and Hye Jin #32 in the world.  Grantedly, Hae Ran and Hye Jin may be as good as Lydia or Nelly but we won't know.  KLPGA has tightened the grip on their players since 2020 season that we won't see them on a world's stage as long as KLPGA is in session.

 

Moreover, there're more younger players in the pipeline.  Yuka Saso, Yealimi Noh, Atthaya Thitikul, and Gabriela Ruffels are 19, 19, 18 and 21.  They will begin to win on LPGA Tour either this year or next; putting an even tighter lid on Korean players. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 18majors said:

I believe the biggest trend in women's golf right now is "The best days for Korean women are over."  As good as Inbee, Jin Young and Sei Young have been, they can't reverse the tides.  I know it's early but I'm not just saying it now, I've been saying it since the start of the season.

 

After six events this year; the Top-3 golfers, Lydia Ko, Nelly Korda and Patty Tavatanakit aren't Koreans.  More importantly; they're very young, 23, 22 and 21 respectively.

 

Jin Young, 25, is youngest of Korea's Big-3.  The best Koreans age 23 and younger are Hae Ran Ryu and Hye Jin Cho, 20 and 21.  Hae Ran is ranked #19 and Hye Jin #32 in the world.  Grantedly, Hae Ran and Hye Jin may be as good as Lydia or Nelly but we won't know.  KLPGA has tightened the grip on their players since 2020 season that we won't see them on a world's stage as long as KLPGA is in session.

 

Moreover, there're more younger players in the pipeline.  Yuka Saso, Yealimi Noh, Atthaya Thitikul, and Gabriela Ruffels are 19, 19, 18 and 21.  They will begin to win on LPGA Tour either this year or next; putting an even tighter lid on Korean players. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I speak for myself but it's always good to spread the wealth around, hence why I was glad Hideki won the Masters... Jen (Thitikul), Yuka -- those golfers haven't been "covered" as much, so I wont be surprised if people here take notice in the future (I'm not the least surprised if these 2 end up winning at least 1 LPGA title each - heck I'd be shocked if they don't (health permitting, of course))...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh how the memories fade so quickly. At the end of 2020 Jin Young showed up out of nowhere, told someone to hold her beer, and proceeded to qualify for the CME and then went on win it, along with the money title. 

 

Sei Young finished T2 yesterday, and 3T at the major two weeks ago. 

 

Both have ten good years ahead. Me thinks that any talk of their demise is premature at best. 

 

Every couple of years a slightly lower ranked player shows up from the KLPGA and impresses. The reason they're lower ranked is because it's pretty much impossible to get into the top 10 or 15 without playing on the LPGA. I expect we'll see a few over the next few years. 

 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolex rankings out. Lydia moves up 4 spots to #7. It's been a loooong time since she was in the Top 10. No changes to 1 through 6. Lexi, Hyo Joo, Nasa, and Minjee each drop a spot with Lydia's move.

 

  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

 

So does anyone happen to have the Year To Date standings? 

 

 

I've my preliminary number which is pretty good but isn't accurate to the second decimal.   Unfortunately, Rolex hasn't updated their April 19 data and therefore I can't publish the results.

 

Year to date, @Lobby is neck to neck with @Argonne69 for #2 position.   Additionally, @MagicClassic407 and @BadgerLin both have moved ahead of you.

 

You're now #6 year to date, but I'm sure you'll contend for the top position when everything is said and done.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 138 replies
    • 2021 Wells Fargo - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #2
       
       

       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters & covers - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      New Ping Glide Forged Pro wedge - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Behind the scenes on the PXG truck - 2021 Wells Fargo
      PXG Gen 4 0311 T & 0311 ST irons - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Jason Day testing a SIK putter with LA Golf shaft - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Scotty Cameron T2 putter - 2021 Wells Fargo
      KH Lee's Odyssey putter - - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Patrick Cantlay's Cameron T-5 - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Rory has the TM "Rors" protos in the bag - 2021 Wells Fargo
       
       
        • Like
      • 17 replies
    • 2021 Valspar Championship - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #8
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #9
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #10
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #11
       
       
       
       
       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Axis 1 Proto - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Jimmy Walker "testing" a LA Golf proto putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Scotty Cameron putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
       
      • 17 replies
    • Post in Ping 2021 Irons
      Victor has i59 in the bag this week!
        • Thanks
        • Like
    • 2021 RBC Heritage - discussions and links
      Please post any questions and comments here.
       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       

       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       
       

       
      Custom Cameron putters - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Bettinardi putter - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Robert Streb's custom stamped Vokey wedge - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Ben An's custom stamped Vokey - 2021 RBC Heritage
      • 17 replies

×
×
  • Create New...