3 or 4 wedge setup?

2 hours ago, Bkgeneral said:

Shorter hitter here.  90-95 with the driver.  I have found that play inside 100 yards is by far most important thing for my game.  For me I have ended with 585 set PW and AW.  From there I prefer 56-62 to finish the bag.  As a shorter hitter, some par 4's require 3 shots to get on.  So that leaves lots of shots 40-60 yards.  I like the 62 to hit those a bit harder, and get a quicker stop if needed.  I use the AW and 56 for most shots around the green.  But I have lost some nerve on the flop shots, so the 62 provides some extra loft and that has really helped.  

Makes total sense. What are the lofts are your PW and AW to go with your 56 and 62?

TaylorMade SIM Max D (9* @ 10.5*) / UST Mamiya Helium

Callaway Rogue (15*) / Aldila Synergy Blue 60 S

Callaway Rogue X (20*) / Aldila Synergy Blue 60 S

TaylorMade Tour Preferred (3-7 MC/ 8-PW MB) / True Temper XP 95 S300

TaylorMade Milled Grind (52*, 58*) / True Temper Dynamic Gold

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred / TaylorMade Redline Monza

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've played it both ways. For about five years I played set PW (46) and 50, 54, 58 in the old Cleveland CG14s.   When I got new wedges, I went with 48-54-60 for a season, but then dropped th

If there is a more common thread topic here I don't know what it is.  Here is how to figure it out.   If you are playing a modern set with a wedge of 45* or less you will need some sort of G

I guess the term wedge is arbitrary but we're victims of our time. Most people probably carry 3-4 wedges. Years ago when PW was 50* and there was no lob wedge, people carried two wedges. Now 46* PW wh

32 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, that’s exactly why I carry D, 3W, Hybrid 4 (20), and 3-iron at the top of my bag...I mixup courses all the time and test myself with different layouts and conditions, so it’s much more difficult to predict what type of 2nd & 3rd shots and lies I’ll end up with. But that’s also the argument for carrying 4 wedges as well, Lol! I agree that the PW and GW are definitely different types of clubs than the SW and LW, and you’re 100% right that the more types of shots and distances you can hit the better off you are! You guys are starting to talk me into dropping the 5-iron and carry 4 wedges...I’m coming around, Lol!!

3 vs 4 wedges aside, just figure out your distance gaps at the top of the bag, especially in relation to your dispersion... having 15 yard gaps at over 200 yards isn’t going to hurt you. Pros miss the greens from 200+ yards 65% of the time. 

I’d be happy to have my hybrid have a 20 yard dispersion pattern (I don’t know what it is! Need to figure that out)... but it sounds like your 5 iron is mostly dead weight... 

I like my setup of hybrid, 4 utility, 5 iron, but they have clear distance gaps and hit different shots for me... but I also tend to reach for driver on the tee box, as my home course is wide open and decently long... 

I also only added the five iron into my bag after needing it one round to a back pin from the back tees... I haven’t played those tees since!

• Like 1

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

I think its funny that so many people are worried about the dispersion and accuracy over 200 yard shots... but think that 4 wedges is weird because they are "so close in performance" 

I would actually rather have more at the top of my bag, but I know that having the 4 wedges I have.. makes it easier at close distances to control flight and ball path a lot more easily. Anything over 220 and im just grippin and rippin to a general area anyhow. lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

3 vs 4 wedges aside, just figure out your distance gaps at the top of the bag, especially in relation to your dispersion... having 15 yard gaps at over 200 yards isn’t going to hurt you. Pros miss the greens from 200+ yards 65% of the time. 

I’d be happy to have my hybrid have a 20 yard dispersion pattern (I don’t know what it is! Need to figure that out)... but it sounds like your 5 iron is mostly dead weight... 

I like my setup of hybrid, 4 utility, 5 iron, but they have clear distance gaps and hit different shots for me... but I also tend to reach for driver on the tee box, as my home course is wide open and decently long... 

I also only added the five iron into my bag after needing it one round to a back pin from the back tees... I haven’t played those tees since!

For sure...that's definitely part of my issue. I upgraded my whole bag over the last 6 mths, so still getting a feel for all my clubs and what each one can do. Because of all that change, the only clubs I'll adjust/upgrade this year will be a new Driver after I get fitted, and getting this wedge situation figured out...other than that it will be all about getting all the yardages and shots with each club figured out!

4 wedges. For me, it's 46/50/54/58.

I have 11 stock distances from 31-99m, plus two bunker options. 54 normal, 58 short-side. Two chip options with 50 and 54, depending on runout.

31, 38, 45, 52, 56, 62, 72, 78, 83, 92, 99.

I work full time. I don't have loads of time to practice my shots. I have a 1/4, a half, and a "80%" shot I can apply to all 4 wedges. I also have all my numbers on quarter shots through to 4-iron.

Find lasered number, adjust, and fire. I started doing this about 5 years ago, and my index is 14 lower than it was. I used to be happy in double digits. I'm not happy unless I'm single digit over par now.

(Edit: Autocorrect/spelling)

Edited by karstens_ghost
  • Like 1

410LST 8º, 13º, 3h 18º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.

19 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

4 wedges. For me, it's 46/50/54/58.

I have 11 stock distances from 31-99m, plus two bunker options. 54 normal, 58 short-side. Two chip options with 50 and 54, depending on runout.

31, 38, 45, 52, 56, 62, 72, 78, 83, 92, 99.

I work full time. I don't have loads of time to practice my shots. I have a 1/4, a half, and a "80%" shot I can apply to all 4 wedges. I also have all my numbers on quarter shots through to 4-iron.

Find lasered number, adjust, and fire. I started doing this about 5 years ago, and my index is 14 lower than it was. I used to be happy in double digits. I'm not happy unless I'm single digit over par now.

(Edit: Autocorrect/spelling)

Do you measure all your distances at the driving range, a simulator, or on the course with a tracking app?

I use a Mevo+ at range with clean balls, and also have a few times been on course when it was empty with a shag of premium golf balls to compare/contrast with the range ones I used (which were not that far off really for shots 100 and under). 

I have also compared it with trackman when working with my teaching pro. 

I need some more LM time as I experiment with the 52/57 setup. For now I just took of 8y or so to guestimate vs the 50/55 🙂

• Like 1
20 hours ago, jmorrow020 said:

I think its funny that so many people are worried about the dispersion and accuracy over 200 yard shots... but think that 4 wedges is weird because they are "so close in performance" 

I would actually rather have more at the top of my bag, but I know that having the 4 wedges I have.. makes it easier at close distances to control flight and ball path a lot more easily. Anything over 220 and im just grippin and rippin to a general area anyhow. lol

I haven’t seen anyone say that carrying 4 wedges is “weird”...I think everyone understands why many/most golfers carry 4...just a question of personal preference and can you cover the same yardages and shot types with 3 wedges so you can carry an extra club on the top end.

I agree that I’m not at the point where I have enough control of dispersion over 200 yds, but understand the point he was making and hope to get to that point eventually.

Edited by BallerNate
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

I use a Mevo+ at range with clean balls, and also have a few times been on course when it was empty with a shag of premium golf balls to compare/contrast with the range ones I used (which were not that far off really for shots 100 and under). 

I have also compared it with trackman when working with my teaching pro. 

I need some more LM time as I experiment with the 52/57 setup. For now I just took of 8y or so to guestimate vs the 50/55 🙂

11 minutes ago, jmorrow020 said:

Yeah not disagreeing with that at all. I just personally prefer to have all of the distance control in the low end of the bag. 

I like getting onto a launch monitor and seeing what each of my wedges does at the same swing speed from 7:00 - 11:00. I used to actually have them all written down on a notecard on my bag! 

Yeah, I’ve only tracked my shot distances with a tracking app that I use during rounds, but those definitely sound like better ways to track a larger sample size of shots.

How do you like the 52/57 and 50/55 setups? I tried 47, 52, 56 for a while this season, but found I way more comfortable with shots from 60 yards in with the 60 Degree! Could look at a 58 as my highest lofted club, but wouldn’t use a 56 as my highest loft again I don’t think...

I often wonder how folks check their distances at the range. Unless you are using quality golf balls that compare to what you normally use I don't see how this is accomplished. Most ranges use 'range balls' that don't carry the same as your gamer balls. The way I know my distances is 'on the course' experience after I rangefinder the hole and take the shot, then calculating the actual flight distance. Some of the upscale ranges use quality balls, but still probably not your gamer.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

48 minutes ago, hybrid25 said:

I often wonder how folks check their distances at the range. Unless you are using quality golf balls that compare to what you normally use I don't see how this is accomplished. Most ranges use 'range balls' that don't carry the same as your gamer balls. The way I know my distances is 'on the course' experience after I rangefinder the hole and take the shot, then calculating the actual flight distance. Some of the upscale ranges use quality balls, but still probably not your gamer.

Yeah, I track distance on the course with a tracking app...would find it less ideal on the range, but definitely a way to get distances on a larger sample size of shots in a shorter period for sure, especially to be able to separate 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 swings etc.

I find challenging the proper shot from the tight lie, especially wet tight lie this time of year with my high lofted wedge shot.  For this reason have considered going back to 4 wedges.  Practicing wedges seems to correlate the most improvement for me time and time again.  Understand each player is different, but great wedge players that can get up and down out of trash can will drive guys they're playing against crazy. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, N2N2 said:

I find challenging the proper shot from the tight lie, especially wet tight lie this time of year with my high lofted wedge shot.  For this reason have considered going back to 4 wedges.  Practicing wedges seems to correlate the most improvement for me time and time again.  Understand each player is different, but great wedge players that can get up and down out of trash can will drive guys they're playing against crazy. 

Agreed...the high level wedge players are the ones I admire the most! Definitely want to be one of those guys eventually that impress everyone with touch and feel on wedge play! Patrick Reed is the guy I’ve seen on Tour that impresses me the most with wedge play...his touch and feel is incredible to watch!

5 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Do you measure all your distances at the driving range, a simulator, or on the course with a tracking app?

I went to a range with good, unlimited balls. (Cowboys in Dallas is $25 to use their range, no limit, for example.) I found a quiet place, and I'd hit 5-8, stand roughly in the middle, and laser back to my bag.

The really key factors are:

- Make a chart with your stock swings. Do not adjust your stock swings. Just let the natural swing do what it does, regardless of the distance.

- Accept that there will be some overlap. Note that if two shots go about the same, say 45m/50y, there will be a height and stop property that may come in handy for particular shots… low runner fifty isn't good when there's a bunker in front of you, etc.

- Once you have your chart, accept that it WILL change a little. Every wedge shot you play in, say you want a 38, and it comes up 34. Was it uphill? Slow? Thick lie? Poor contact? Cold day? If it's none of those, make a note. If it happens a few times, move it back to 36 and continue to refine it.

You can also extrapolate the distances. For example, if your 1/4 swing gives you 31, 38, 45, 52, and you need a 66 under some trees, I have the perfect club for you. 8-iron, 1/4 shot. You may not have tried it on the range, and the front-to-back variance won't be great, but you'll be happy with the result more often than not. Don't expect it to hold for your 4-iron, but it will be at least close.

You might feel a paper chart is annoying, but you'll be able to keep it at home soon enough. Or an excel sheet. Either way, if you do this over the course of 10-20 rounds, you're going to have the ability to get close front-to-back of the pin, and that raises your putt % faster than any other way. Most everyone can hit it directionally ok, but I'd rather miss within a few yards than be 10 past after just missing the flagstick.

Nate, if you have any further questions, let me know, or DM me.

• Thanks 1

410LST 8º, 13º, 3h 18º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.

18 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

I went to a range with good, unlimited balls. (Cowboys in Dallas is $25 to use their range, no limit, for example.) I found a quiet place, and I'd hit 5-8, stand roughly in the middle, and laser back to my bag.

The really key factors are:

- Make a chart with your stock swings. Do not adjust your stock swings. Just let the natural swing do what it does, regardless of the distance.

- Accept that there will be some overlap. Note that if two shots go about the same, say 45m/50y, there will be a height and stop property that may come in handy for particular shots… low runner fifty isn't good when there's a bunker in front of you, etc.

- Once you have your chart, accept that it WILL change a little. Every wedge shot you play in, say you want a 38, and it comes up 34. Was it uphill? Slow? Thick lie? Poor contact? Cold day? If it's none of those, make a note. If it happens a few times, move it back to 36 and continue to refine it.

You can also extrapolate the distances. For example, if your 1/4 swing gives you 31, 38, 45, 52, and you need a 66 under some trees, I have the perfect club for you. 8-iron, 1/4 shot. You may not have tried it on the range, and the front-to-back variance won't be great, but you'll be happy with the result more often than not. Don't expect it to hold for your 4-iron, but it will be at least close.

You might feel a paper chart is annoying, but you'll be able to keep it at home soon enough. Or an excel sheet. Either way, if you do this over the course of 10-20 rounds, you're going to have the ability to get close front-to-back of the pin, and that raises your putt % faster than any other way. Most everyone can hit it directionally ok, but I'd rather miss within a few yards than be 10 past after just missing the flagstick.

Nate, if you have any further questions, let me know, or DM me.

This is awesome, thanks very much for the detailed breakdown @karstens_ghost, this helps a lot!! I’m definitely going to do this when the snow thaws and our local range re-opens! They have a deal for unlimited balls on Monday morning, so I’ll take a couple of hours to do this for sure! You guys have talked me into giving the 4 wedge setup a full season, and will lock in all the distances...then maybe eventually when my wedge game is a strength I can look at dropping down to 3 wedges. 

• Like 1

If there is a more common thread topic here I don't know what it is.  Here is how to figure it out.

If you are playing a modern set with a wedge of 45* or less you will need some sort of GW, maybe even 2 GW's, plus a SW at 54 to 56*.  You need a high lofted club for bunkers and flops, pitches etc. Go with a 58 or 60.  Your choice.  Add a 64 if you feel you have the need.  A good rule of thumb is 4 to 6 degrees between wedges, the better you are at distance control the more loft between gaps you can get away with. Wedges are scoring tools, for most people with modern sets, more is usually better, especially since the modern PW has the loft of a traditional 8 or 9 iron.  So fill your set with stock wedges, or matching lofts till you get to the 50 degree range than the only question is do I want one or 2 more.  

If you have a PW of 46 or more you can go with 2, 3 or 4.  You are a play-uh figure it out. 

So unless you are an accomplished player, with a quality wedge game, go with 4, or even 5, if you are a great wedge player, play blades, have your distance dialed in, then just do what you have been doing.  

• Like 4

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

4 wedges - 46/50/54/60. 

I tried three wedges - 46/52/58 and for me, my course and my conditions it was not a good fit.  

I'm a 0 hdcp and hit my driver 270-300 depending on strike, bounce, wind, etc.   Which means I have A LOT of approach shots from 140 yrds (stepped on PW) and in.  I have more options with the 4 wedges. 

From 110 I can hit a knockdown 46 or 50. Or hit a full 54.  Depending on wind and pin position all those are needed.  The gaps with the 46/52/58 were just too big for me personally to take advantage of being in a prime scoring position on par 4s.  

Do I have a gap from 215-230 yes... But from that distance I'm typically going for a par 5 in 2 and just have to be somewhere in the ballpark so I can go up and down for 4.  Is the miss long or short? This dictates trying to hit 3h hard or take something off my 4w.  If there is no bail from 220 yrds, then laying up is probably the better option anyhow.....  Which brings me back to the 4 wedges. 

If you're a shorter hitter and have the top end of your bag into more par 3/4 etc... Maybe 3 wedges is the better option, but for me personally I'd rather compromise on the top of my bag vs the bottom.  

• Like 1

Well my set PW is 43* and my AW is 48* then I go to a higher bounce 52* and lower bounce 58* 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 9* @ 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0

Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood 16.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-7i KBS Max 90 S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 8-AW True Temper Elevate 105 S

Callaway JAWS MD5 52/12W Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 58/8W Dynamic Gold 115

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black #7 35”

Bridgestone Tour B X 

6 minutes ago, rkillian said:

Well my set PW is 43* and my AW is 48* then I go to a higher bounce 52* and lower bounce 58* 

Very sensible setup with today’s strong lofts.  

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

1 hour ago, rkillian said:

Wowzers...yeah, having a PW at 43* is a totally different ball-game! What irons do you play? In my set (TM Tour Preferred) my 9 iron is 43* and PW is 47*. With lofts that strong it would make total sense not to need a 3-iron.

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Wowzers...yeah, having a PW at 43* is a totally different ball-game! What irons do you play? In my set (TM Tour Preferred) my 9 iron is 43* and PW is 47*. With lofts that strong it would make total sense not to need a 3-iron.

His signature says Mavrik Pro 8-AW

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

After having a 4 wedge set up for a long time ( 47, 50, 54, 60), I now have new irons which I guess are a 3 wedge setup (44, 48, 54, 60) since the 44 is pretty strong loft. 

I have a solid handle on the 3/4 and 1/2 wedge shots and really don’t like to hit full wedges if I can to control spin so 3 works for me. It makes a lot of sense to carry 4 but I am able to hit a number inside 130 with the 3 setup based on my lofts. I would use 4 if I change to ‘normal’ lofts on the next set. 

• Like 1

9.5 TS3 Rogue 130 TX

15 TS3 Rogue 125 TX

19 818 H2 Tensei Pro white X

4-GW T100S PX LZ 6.0

54 SM7 KBS 610

60 SM7 KBS 610

SC Notchback DB

8 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

His signature says Mavrik Pro 8-AW

Oh Ok, cool! I’m usually on WRX on my phone, and for some reason can’t see signatures.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jmorrow020 said:

woof. some of you guys are playing some really strong lofts. that changes the conversation completely

Providing contrast, I'm in the other direction, with one of my sets, anyway.  51* or 52* PW, after which I'll have a 58* as my SW.  

I spent some time with a 52/56/60 last year, found few uses for the 56, decided to merge the bottom two into a 58.  I rarely hit full shots with my higher lofted wedges, this combination works for me fairly well.

When I put my MP37s in play, it's much the same lofts, the sole stamping is the only difference (47* PW, 52* GW, 58* SW).

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

LOL, T400 has a 38* "PW"

T100 21° 24° 27° 30° 34° 38° 42° 46° 50° -- --
T100•S 19° 22° 25° 28° 32° 36° 40° 44° 48° -- --
T200 -- 21° 24° 27° 30° 34° 38° 43° 48° -- --
T300 -- 20° 23° 26° 29° 33° 38° 43° 48° 53° --
T400 -- -- 20° 23° 26° 29° 33° 38° 43° 49° 55°
Lie 60° 61° 62° 62.5° 63° 63.5° 64° 64° 64° 64° 64°
Length 39.00" 38.50" 38.00" 37.50" 37.00" 36.50" 36.00" 35.75" 35.50" 35.50" 35.25"
  • Like 1

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

5 minutes ago, jmorrow020 said:

Oh my goodness hahahaha

You could make the argument that two or three of the "wedges" aren't really wedges.   This set, while in the SGI category, is really no different than the old 2-PW set when it comes to lofts.  Very similar to a set of Hogans from the 70's except the 2 iron has a 5 on the sole.  

Yes, I understand that these are higher launching, have springy faces and fat soles, but it's really all just marketing.  When it comes to iron lofts it's time for a global reset, the lowest lofted iron in the lineup should have a #1 on it, the highest lofted should have a L on it, everything else is just a number sequence.  

• Like 1

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

2 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

LOL, T400 has a 38* "PW"

T100 21° 24° 27° 30° 34° 38° 42° 46° 50° -- --
T100•S 19° 22° 25° 28° 32° 36° 40° 44° 48° -- --
T200 -- 21° 24° 27° 30° 34° 38° 43° 48° -- --
T300 -- 20° 23° 26° 29° 33° 38° 43° 48° 53° --
T400 -- -- 20° 23° 26° 29° 33° 38° 43° 49° 55°
Lie 60° 61° 62° 62.5° 63° 63.5° 64° 64° 64° 64° 64°
Length 39.00" 38.50" 38.00" 37.50" 37.00" 36.50" 36.00" 35.75" 35.50" 35.50" 35.25"

😲😲😲

Yeah, definitely makes sense that the loft of your irons would largely determine the setup of wedges when looking at the recommended gapping of 4-6 degrees. If your PW is 38-43 degrees, that’s a totally different type of gapping necessary than a PW of 46-52! My 9 iron is 43 and PW is 47, which sounds like is the PW and GW in stronger lofted sets. Interesting that there’s such a variance in iron set lofts...crazy! Now I understand why the club selections are so different when I watch PGA Tour events...not only are those guys bombers, but sounds like their club lofts are dramatically different from mine!