3 or 4 wedge setup?

hypergolf

On 12/28/2020 at 7:48 PM, NorthStar7 said:

I roll with 4 wedges:

Ping i210 P (45)

Ping i210 U (50)

Ping Glide 54 SS

Ping Glide 58 WS

If I am playing in firm or tight conditions, I swap the 58 WS out for a 58 SS for the lower bounce. 

I have three swings for each club so I have a lot of options to get to a number with the trajectory and roll out I want. 

Why do I choose 4 wedges?  The biggest reason is that it is the biggest strength of my game. Since I am a good wedge player, I can actually make use of the variety.  I use the different loft and bounce options to my advantage whenever possible. I suppose if I was a REALLY good wedge player, I’d practice opening the face, changing bounce, etc.

My long game, on the other hand, isn’t good enough to take advantage of lots of options....so I stack the bottom of the bag.  If I improve my long game enough so I am going for a lot of par 5s in 2, I may reconsider. 

Agree here.  The varieties of lie ...along with distance, impediments... For me, attack the pin with the scoring clubs. Can make up for a less than optimal drive!

So I’ve gone back and forth on this and done a lot of soul searching, Lol! My conclusion is that my gut tells me I’d prefer a 3 wedge setup and be able to carry more variety at the top of my bag and not have to drop an iron...that’s what I keep coming back to, so I’m going to stick with it and work at it. Right now I have: 47*, 52* @ 53.5*, 60* once I drop the 56 (previously 47, 52, 56, 60). Will just be a matter of practicing and getting the distances dialed in once the range reopens, but will keep practicing in the garage and Sim’s until that’s possible.

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 12/29/2020 at 12:20 PM, hybrid25 said:

Anybody go with a 50* aw , then right to a 58* sw/lw?

I've done this, and I would have no issue doing it again.  I don't use my 54 all that often, except when I need it I like having it.  I suppose if I replaced my set based 50* with a blade style 50 it might work better.  I like having a traditional wedge I can use for longer bunker shots, pitch shots into the wind and that occasional shot that fits the gap.  

If I were playing a strict 14 club bag, I would choose between the 54 and a 4 iron, I do like a 4 iron on windy days when I need a low shot into the wind, especially when the ground is firm.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 12/31/2020 at 11:48 AM, BallerNate said:

Sweet...sounds awesome!! Wish I had that much space to practice...very cool! I’ve got my garage where I only have enough clearance to hit short irons, and my driveway, Lol!

When I was a young man, and picked up the game, my parents lived on a farm where I grew up.  Our front yard was about 100 yards, plus we had room going back beside the house by the barns.  I could hit full 9 irons all day long, or shorter pitch shots for hours.  I had a shag bag full of balls and a golden retriever who would bring them back to me.  Great times!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

41 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

I've done this, and I would have no issue doing it again.  I don't use my 54 all that often, except when I need it I like having it.  I suppose if I replaced my set based 50* with a blade style 50 it might work better.  I like having a traditional wedge I can use for longer bunker shots, pitch shots into the wind and that occasional shot that fits the gap.  

If I were playing a strict 14 club bag, I would choose between the 54 and a 4 iron, I do like a 4 iron on windy days when I need a low shot into the wind, especially when the ground is firm.  

For a long time I set up with a 45* pw, took the 50* aw out of the bag, and went next to the 54* sw, and a 58* lw. For some reason I don't like the 50* aw, it just doesn't suit me? So for all approach shots from 100 yards and in I would use my 45* pw if the green was not protected by elevation or a sand trap. If it was I would go right to the sand wedge and lob it over the trap or elevation to the green. It worked for me. Now I have the 50* in the bag, but will consider going without it in the future. I just don't hit it that well.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

2 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

When I was a young man, and picked up the game, my parents lived on a farm where I grew up.  Our front yard was about 100 yards, plus we had room going back beside the house by the barns.  I could hit full 9 irons all day long, or shorter pitch shots for hours.  I had a shag bag full of balls and a golden retriever who would bring them back to me.  Great times!

Sounds amazing!! Sounds like the beginning of a great golf movie...like Hoosiers for golf, Lol! 

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

It all really depends on how you play around the greens. Having gone from a set 45*, 50*, specialty 54* and 58* to what I have settled on now has as much to do with my iron set make-up as it does how I play around the greens. 

I play mostly on muni courses where there is a much smaller margin for error when you get the ball rolling sooner. Since settling on the 52.12 and 58.8 set up, (both wider/full soles with minimal grind) I have simplified my short game. I am still working a little on repeatable yardages with some partial swings but its getting there and getting better. I am also finding that having a plan with your wedge setup is more important (for a mid/high HC like myself) than what your wedge set up actually is. 

My plan right now is sort of a check down system that a QB might use for pass routes

• 110 - full 52
  • 90 and in - 3/4- swing to an almost putter like stroke and stance with 52

UNLESS...

• Bare/hardpan lie 80 and in - Lower bounce 58 gets the call
  • Greenside bunker - 58
  • 80 and in and need to get over something - 58
  • Lots of green to work with and can putt it - putter
  • Lots of green and can't putt - 8 or 9 iron

Would 52, 56, 60 give me more options? Maybe but given my current ball striking skills  I don't think I'd see a benefit in using a 60. 

• Like 2

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Callaway MD5 48*

Callway Jaws Raw 56*

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

On 1/6/2021 at 1:08 PM, rkillian said:

It all really depends on how you play around the greens. Having gone from a set 45*, 50*, specialty 54* and 58* to what I have settled on now has as much to do with my iron set make-up as it does how I play around the greens. 

I play mostly on muni courses where there is a much smaller margin for error when you get the ball rolling sooner. Since settling on the 52.12 and 58.8 set up, (both wider/full soles with minimal grind) I have simplified my short game. I am still working a little on repeatable yardages with some partial swings but its getting there and getting better. I am also finding that having a plan with your wedge setup is more important (for a mid/high HC like myself) than what your wedge set up actually is. 

My plan right now is sort of a check down system that a QB might use for pass routes

• 110 - full 52
  • 90 and in - 3/4- swing to an almost putter like stroke and stance with 52

UNLESS...

• Bare/hardpan lie 80 and in - Lower bounce 58 gets the call
  • Greenside bunker - 58
  • 80 and in and need to get over something - 58
  • Lots of green to work with and can putt it - putter
  • Lots of green and can't putt - 8 or 9 iron

Would 52, 56, 60 give me more options? Maybe but given my current ball striking skills  I don't think I'd see a benefit in using a 60. 

Yeah, I’m the same way...a simple and straightforward game plan with the wedges is my plan going into the 2021 season as well. Going to dial in the distances with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full swings with each of my 3 wedges and be able to go into each approach situation within 130-140 yds with confidence!

My rough comfortable yardages are:

47* PW: 100-130 (can get it to 140)

52* @ 53.5* GW: 70-100 (can get it to 110)

60*: 10-70 (can get it to 85)

Just off the green I can go with a “finesse wedge setup” or am pretty good with the Bump & Run 8-iron, then will spend time locking in the exact distances with every swing from further out from 50-130.

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

9 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Sounds amazing!! Sounds like the beginning of a great golf movie...like Hoosiers for golf, Lol! 

I really miss that dog, and the practice time. Damn I used to be good from 130 in.  That was over 30 years ago now. 

• Like 1

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I have 4 wedges and love it because I need versatility in my wedges and I’m good at the top end of my bag.

I have a vokey sm7 46.10

Ping Glide Forged 50.10

Ping Glide Stealth 56.12 & 60.10

Sometimes I’ll switch out the 60 for my SM8 62.08 just for the hell of it because I love lob wedges and hitting flop shots.

Today for the first time I switched from 46, 50, 54, 58 set up to 46, 52, 58.

Worked out really well actually. I could pretty much use my 52* for all shots which 50* and 54* was previously used.

Plus because I play on a long course, it was good that I could add 3 iron to fill the gap between 4 iron and 5 wood.

I will try it out for a few more weeks and see how it goes but so far so good!

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

PW, AW, 54, 58, 64.

PW is exclusively full shots, AW is full shots and 100 knockdown shot, 54 is 50-80 yard shot , long greenside bunker shots and my go to around the greens, 58 is for bunkers and around the green if I need less roll out, 64 is for in case of emergencies. 

54 is my favorite wedge out of the bunch. The reason why i prefer to have options is because of the grind differences and I do not feel comfortable manipulating the face during wedge shots. 

On 1/12/2021 at 11:20 PM, hypergolf said:

Today for the first time I switched from 46, 50, 54, 58 set up to 46, 52, 58.

Worked out really well actually. I could pretty much use my 52* for all shots which 50* and 54* was previously used.

Plus because I play on a long course, it was good that I could add 3 iron to fill the gap between 4 iron and 5 wood.

I will try it out for a few more weeks and see how it goes but so far so good!

I like that set up...I think that’s what I’ll end up with as well. My only hesitation is going with a 58 instead of a 60, but if I can execute the same shots with a 58, then it would be a good move.

Right now I have a 47, 52 @ 53.5, 60 setup, but just waiting for the golf shop to open up to bend my GW back to 52, and will try bending the 60 to 58 or buy a separate 58 to try it out.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 12/21/2020 at 7:27 AM, LeftyMatt24 said:

I play 4 wedges. pw is 46. I go 46, 50, 54, 60.  I like the distance a stock 75% 54 gives me which is why it is staying at 54 instead of 55. One thing as others have mentioned is do you need versatility in your short game? I’ve found for me because I hit a 190-195 6 iron with traditionally lofted JPX 921 tours that I do not need an extra club at the top but would rather have more options in the short game. My 60 is for around the green and bunkers only. 54 does most of my touch shots and my chipping with green available is anything from a 7 iron to my 54. Typically do a PW or a 50 if I need more check. 

ive considered switching to a 5 wedge set up and getting rid of a 2/3 iron on some courses. To give another full shot club like a 58. So 46, 50,54,58 and 62ish. 

I have gone to a 5 wedge set up as i am using modern irons (g710)with old wedges (eye 2/eye 2+)... 

has been questioned but like full swings (do go half sometimes on 53).  Setup is 44* (g710 pw), 48.5, 53, 57 (eye 2 + becu) and 61 (eye 2 becu). 
61 is fun and for super short (<15) approaches.  High and soft. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper  

50* PW, 55* SW, 60* LW. I find that I tend to use my PW/GW as 10/11 irons, so I went ahead and pulled something together where through the typical 50* GW slot I was using clubs that match my iron set. It works for me and I don't feel like I am missing anything after making the switch from a 48/52/56/60 setup. 

That said, I don't think it really matters so long as you have a set that covers all the shots you are likely to hit in the bag. The strong lofts do kinda make me chuckle sometimes though - last weekend I played with a guy who was tickled to death that he hit an 8 iron on a par 3 where I took a 7 (I'd been blowing it past him off the tee all day); I didn't have the heart to bring up that my 7 iron has 8 degrees more loft than his 8 iron.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

32 minutes ago, EDT501 said:

50* PW, 55* SW, 60* LW. I find that I tend to use my PW/GW as 10/11 irons, so I went ahead and pulled something together where through the typical 50* GW slot I was using clubs that match my iron set. It works for me and I don't feel like I am missing anything after making the switch from a 48/52/56/60 setup. 

That said, I don't think it really matters so long as you have a set that covers all the shots you are likely to hit in the bag. The strong lofts do kinda make me chuckle sometimes though - last weekend I played with a guy who was tickled to death that he hit an 8 iron on a par 3 where I took a 7 (I'd been blowing it past him off the tee all day); I didn't have the heart to bring up that my 7 iron has 8 degrees more loft than his 8 iron.

So you pulled out the 48 PW from your set, or you bent it to 50*? Not having any issues with the gapping between your 9-iron and the 50 PW/GW?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I actually changed sets at the same time, but pretty much. Bent PW to 50, 9i to 45.5, 8 to 41, 7 to 37, etc. Functionally it’s no different than playing a set 4i-GW (what I’d buy if getting something new today (like T100) but mine are labeled 3i-PW. My gaps are about 2 yards larger at the bottom than they used to be, but in exchange I got to close a significant gap at the top of my back that coincides with my approach distance on some par 5s and long par 3s.

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

Currently 46°, 50°, 52°, 56°, 60° but honestly the 52 never comes out of the bag.

I think i'm going to go with a 4° gap when I get new wedges 46°, 50°, 54°, 58°, 62°

I don't carry a 4 iron so i can squeeze in an extra wedge

Titleist 917D3 9.5 Driver

Titleist 917D2 15* 3 wood

Mizuno JPX921 Forged 5-G

TaylorMade Rac Wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey 2Ball Fang

1 hour ago, fonesy said:

Currently 46°, 50°, 52°, 56°, 60° but honestly the 52 never comes out of the bag.

I think i'm going to go with a 4° gap when I get new wedges 46°, 50°, 54°, 58°, 62°

I don't carry a 4 iron so i can squeeze in an extra wedge

Actually, I think your could go 46, 50, 54, 58, and then leave both the 52 and 62 out of the bag. I guess I could see the 62, but not the 52. My set up is 45, 50, 54, 58 and that works great for me. For me skill level, a 62 might be a little inconsistant.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

4 hours ago, EDT501 said:

I actually changed sets at the same time, but pretty much. Bent PW to 50, 9i to 45.5, 8 to 41, 7 to 37, etc. Functionally it’s no different than playing a set 4i-GW (what I’d buy if getting something new today (like T100) but mine are labeled 3i-PW. My gaps are about 2 yards larger at the bottom than they used to be, but in exchange I got to close a significant gap at the top of my back that coincides with my approach distance on some par 5s and long par 3s.

Ahh, Ok. Very interesting. Makes sense...whatever works right!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

In my full set I have 5 wedges, but the Rogue X PW is more like a 9 iron.

41, 46, 52, 56, 60.

But all last year I carried a half set with only the 46 and 52.  I have no trouble opening up the 52 around the green and rarely missed the 60.  And I shot a couple of strokes better than with the full set 90% of the time.

For me it depends on how far I usually find myself from the green and comfort level with the open face.

• 1 month later...

Question for you guys with the 52-58 setup. Do you guys use the 58 out of the bunker, or the 52?

Going back and forth still trying to decide whether to do 50-54-58 or 52-58 and the thing that makes the 54 most appealing is that I know it is a solid go-to club out of the bunker.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Question for you guys with the 52-58 setup. Do you guys use the 58 out of the bunker, or the 52?

Going back and forth still trying to decide whether to do 50-54-58 or 52-58 and the thing that makes the 54 most appealing is that I know it is a solid go-to club out of the bunker.

90% of the time i will use 58* out of the bunker. 

52* only when there is some distance to the flag.

• Like 2

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I’ve played 46/52/58 for the longest time but with new irons I now have 45/50/54/58. It’s only been a few months but I rarely use the 54 so might bend the 50 to 51 and drop the 54. 

• Like 1

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

22 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

90% of the time i will use 58* out of the bunker. 

52* only when there is some distance to the flag.

Interesting. And you don’t have any problems making solid contact with the ball through sand with that high of a loft?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

15 minutes ago, sbjinx said:

I’ve played 46/52/58 for the longest time but with new irons I now have 45/50/54/58. It’s only been a few months but I rarely use the 54 so might bend the 50 to 51 and drop the 54. 

Makes sense. So the 58 is the club you usually use in bunker shots rather than the 54?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Makes sense. So the 58 is the club you usually use in bunker shots rather than the 54?

Yeah. I’ve had good success using the 54 out of the sand but I could easily do with out. My wedge game is also pretty simple - I rarely open up the face or try anything other than a hitting a shot with the face square so I can get around with only a 52/58. 

• Like 1

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

51 minutes ago, sbjinx said:

Yeah. I’ve had good success using the 54 out of the sand but I could easily do with out. My wedge game is also pretty simple - I rarely open up the face or try anything other than a hitting a shot with the face square so I can get around with only a 52/58. 

Yeah, I really like the 54 out of the sand, and keep my wedge game simple too. But I think I’d rather carry both a Hybrid and Driving Iron to have options off the Tee and out of the rough.

I’ll probably focus on practicing with the 58 out of the bunker, and if it can do the job I’ll have no problems dropping the 54.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX