3 or 4 wedge setup?

hypergolf

47 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, I really like the 54 out of the sand, and keep my wedge game simple too. But I think I’d rather carry both a Hybrid and Driving Iron to have options off the Tee and out of the rough.

I’ll probably focus on practicing with the 58 out of the bunker, and if it can do the job I’ll have no problems dropping the 54.

58 is a great bunker loft. I’m going to a 47-53-59 set up for the first time so I can load up the top end of my bag. Going driver, strong 3W, 5w, UDI or hybrid, 4i up to wedges. My logic is I’m great at hitting numbers with my wedges but it’s easier to just take a full swing and hit a number outside of 200 yards. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

58 is a great bunker loft. I’m going to a 47-53-59 set up for the first time so I can load up the top end of my bag. Going driver, strong 3W, 5w, UDI or hybrid, 4i up to wedges. My logic is I’m great at hitting numbers with my wedges but it’s easier to just take a full swing and hit a number outside of 200 yards. 

Ok perfect, good to know! Alright, I’ll test the 58 out of the bunker over the next few weeks and see how it goes.

For me I’ve got Driver, 3W, Hybrid, UDI, 4-PW. I thought about alternating the Hybrid and UDI depending on course layout/conditions, or dropping the 5i, but probably easier to just drop the 54 as a more long-term solution if I can get similar shots out of the 58.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

tl;dr - is your 58 bounce appropriate for sand?

You can discuss 54/58 for sand, but I think you're missing the point.

My 54 is very good out of the sand, and it's what I use unless I'm short-sided. If I'm short or a high lip, I pull the 58, but that's about 1-in-5 sand shots.

You can go 52/58, but if you do, ensure that the 58 has adequate bounce. If your 58 (or 60) is too low a bounce, sand will get very difficult.

I do a lot of chipping with my 50 and 54, a lot of sand with my 54, and under-30m with my 58. It's odd; my 58 doesn't get used a lot, but it's really important to have it for me. But mine isn't that thicc, so I don't try to do too many things with it. Keeps me out of trouble, rather than gets me into it.

Edited by karstens_ghost
  • Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

5 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Ok perfect, good to know! Alright, I’ll test the 58 out of the bunker over the next few weeks and see how it goes.

For me I’ve got Driver, 3W, Hybrid, UDI, 4-PW. I thought about alternating the Hybrid and UDI depending on course layout/conditions, or dropping the 5i, but probably easier to just drop the 54 as a more long-term solution if I can get similar shots out of the 58.

You didn't ask, but I'd be selecting 2/3 between your 3w, h, and di - based on course, distance, and weather. Play with 15 clubs for a while, and see what happens (not in a comp of course).

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

12 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

You didn't ask, but I'd be selecting 2/3 between your 3w, h, and di - based on course, distance, and weather. Play with 15 clubs for a while, and see what happens (not in a comp of course).

Yeah for sure. I played my first round of the year yesterday and played with 15, but I’m also starting to carry my bag this season for the first time, so would prefer to cut weight.

The other option is to get a 4 UDI with a 22-23 degree loft, and then I could replace both the 3 UDI and the set 4-iron. My only issue would be if I can execute the same shots with a 4 UDI vs a 3 UDI, but that option is pretty appealing too.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

20 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

4 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah for sure. I played my first round of the year yesterday and played with 15, but I’m also starting to carry my bag this season for the first time, so would prefer to cut weight.

The other option is to get a 4 UDI with a 22-23 degree loft, and then I could replace both the 3 UDI and the set 4-iron. My only issue would be if I can execute the same shots with a 4 UDI vs a 3 UDI, but that option is pretty appealing too.

To take this idea 1 step further, I’m actually considering doing both...getting a 4 UDI to replace the 3 UDI and 4 set iron, and going 52-58...then I would have a trimmed down set up of 13 clubs.

Less decision making necessary, and lighter to carry. If I really wanted to cut weight, I could even occasionally leave the 3W home and carry 12. I’m struggling with my new 3W right now anyways, so that could be what I end up doing after throwing it in the lake! 😉

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I play 46, 50, 54, 58. I play four because the options around the green are more important to my game than hitting another club 230+. My 4 iron flies around 225 and I rarely have more than that into a green on any of the local courses I play. Most of the greens around here are small, and tricky so having more options around the green reigns supreme. 

• Thanks 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Just recently went back to 3 wedge after doing 2. I use my 56 for pretty much everything, but it's a 12 bounce. So I got a 52 with 8 Bo nice to fill the gap and give me a lower bounce option.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

16 minutes ago, FlopShotGang said:

Don’t understand why anyone would want to play only 3. Unless you’re a scratch golfer it’s more beneficial to have options 150 yards in.

Lots of golfers choose to have 3 wedges to add more options at the top of the bag (5W, Hybrids, Driving Irons etc). Not uncommon.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

17 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Just recently went back to 3 wedge after doing 2. I use my 56 for pretty much everything, but it's a 12 bounce. So I got a 52 with 8 Bo nice to fill the gap and give me a lower bounce option.

Yeah, I tried going 47-56 for a while last season, and actually learned how to play with just a PW and a 60*. 

That’s probably why I naturally lean towards wanting to game 3 wedges max. I understand the logic for sure, but I always feel like carrying 4 wedges is an excessive luxury for me personally.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

32 minutes ago, FlopShotGang said:

Don’t understand why anyone would want to play only 3. Unless you’re a scratch golfer it’s more beneficial to have options 150 yards in.

It's funny, I'd argue it's actually more beneficial to higher HCs. I don't know one golfer over a 5 who consistently hits their carry gaps lower than 30* in loft. I'm dead serious. It makes way more sense for a higher HC to add more clubs in the long end that they can hit well such as 4w, 7w, a couple of hybrids or even a UDI of sorts as a second tee option course dependent. My experiment may end. We'll see, but I'm excited to see what it does for my game. I'd argue that I overthink which wedge to use more than I do which long club to use. It's much easier to knock a couple off a 52 than it is a 3w. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

To take this idea 1 step further, I’m actually considering doing both...getting a 4 UDI to replace the 3 UDI and 4 set iron, and going 52-58...then I would have a trimmed down set up of 13 clubs.

Less decision making necessary, and lighter to carry. If I really wanted to cut weight, I could even occasionally leave the 3W home and carry 12. I’m struggling with my new 3W right now anyways, so that could be what I end up doing after throwing it in the lake! 😉

Just depends on how far you hit the ball, I think... I could easily drop long clubs without much issue... I play driver, 3 wood, hybrid, 4 utility and then 5 iron... 5 iron goes 200+ and at that distance I’m just not that worried about being well gapped. 10% variance is 20 yards, so my “200” club will go somewhere between 190 and 210. I’m just not good enough to worry about that length.

bottom of the bag has 4 wedges. Set wedges for pitching wedge and gap wedge. Sub70 54 and 58. 54 is high bounce and used in the sand. 58 is low bounce and used for touch shots. All four are used for 120 and in shots, but I prefer my cavity backs for those shots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

8 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Just depends on how far you hit the ball, I think... I could easily drop long clubs without much issue... I play driver, 3 wood, hybrid, 4 utility and then 5 iron... 5 iron goes 200+ and at that distance I’m just not that worried about being well gapped. 10% variance is 20 yards, so my “200” club will go somewhere between 190 and 210. I’m just not good enough to worry about that length.

bottom of the bag has 4 wedges. Set wedges for pitching wedge and gap wedge. Sub70 54 and 58. 54 is high bounce and used in the sand. 58 is low bounce and used for touch shots. All four are used for 120 and in shots, but I prefer my cavity backs for those shots.

Makes total sense. Part of the problem for me is that my bag has been in total flux since making my return to Golf in June.

I’m on my 3rd different set of clubs (Woods, Irons, Wedges, and putters), so honestly I don’t have a firm grip on exactly what my distances are.

The biggest reason for that is I’ve never been fitted, and I’m 6’7, so all my purchases and adjustments have been based on feel and research.

I like that setup though, and getting a 4 Driving Iron and 5-PW setup is something I’m seriously considering for sure. That would give the flexibility to carry 4 wedges at the bottom of the bag, which I haven’t 100% ruled out.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Since this thead begun I have messed around back and forth between 3 and sometimes 4. I went back to my roots so to speak only carrying a 47* PW and 56* SW. Even though right now I am hitting forged CBs they are traditional lofts. For my simple mind it is easier with only the 2. Back when I learned the game we only had 2 so us old timers learned to manulipate the face. 

IMHO I always say play what fits you and your game. Golf has evolved and so the needs have changed relative to how one learned the game

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

All full shots as well which is preferred 

Mizuno 921F PW 45 - some chipping when no obstructions

Mizuno T20 GW 50/06 - chipping/pitching around the green

Mizuno T20 SW 55/07 - lots of around the green chipping/sand wedge

MIzuno T20 LW 61/06  - flop/high bunker wedge

and 

PXG 0311 Gen3 T PW 46 - some chipping when no obstructions 

PXG 0311 Gen3 T GW 51 - chipping/pitching around green 

PXG 0311 Forged SW 56/10 - lots of around the green chipping/sand wedge

PXG 0311 Forged LW 60/09 - flop/high bunker wedge

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Decisions, decisions.

For the last year, I've had driver, 4-wood, driving iron, 3-PW (20-48), 53 and 59 after 10 years of driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 3-PW (20-48), 54 and 60 (almost the entirety of my golfing life). I dropped the 5-wood because I felt I used it as a security blanket at the expense of learning how to hit my 3-wood off the deck consistently, but have realized that it's not optimal for me to have a driving iron and a set 3-iron.

I've been eyeing the G425 fairways and hybrids (no turbulators!) and JPX921 SELs so over the next year (waiting for the SM9s come out), I plan on trying driver, 3-wood, 3-hybrid, 4-PW (22-46), 50, 54 and 60. If four wedges doesn't work out, I can always drop the 50, bend the short irons and PW to get even gapping and add a non-matching 3-iron.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Makes total sense. Part of the problem for me is that my bag has been in total flux since making my return to Golf in June.

I’m on my 3rd different set of clubs (Woods, Irons, Wedges, and putters), so honestly I don’t have a firm grip on exactly what my distances are.

The biggest reason for that is I’ve never been fitted, and I’m 6’7, so all my purchases and adjustments have been based on feel and research.

I like that setup though, and getting a 4 Driving Iron and 5-PW setup is something I’m seriously considering for sure. That would give the flexibility to carry 4 wedges at the bottom of the bag, which I haven’t 100% ruled out.

Yeah, I’m 6’4 and play everything +3/4... it’s fun to never hit a demo in the right length or grip size...

my dad is 6’10 and I think he’s playing 3 inches over standard... his 7 iron was as long as my 3 iron... honestly, I think his wedge game is weak because of how long his wedges have to be... he’s always struggled with short game.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

32 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Yeah, I’m 6’4 and play everything +3/4... it’s fun to never hit a demo in the right length or grip size...

my dad is 6’10 and I think he’s playing 3 inches over standard... his 7 iron was as long as my 3 iron... honestly, I think his wedge game is weak because of how long his wedges have to be... he’s always struggled with short game.

Yeah, I understand fully now why everyone recommends fittings for all golfers, but especially ones who don’t fit the “average size/mold”.

I have a fitting booked for April 23rd, but just hoping I can get an appointment sooner.

The right equipment and the right adjustments definitely make a huge difference for sure! My new Irons (‘17 P770) are +1” and 2* upright, and wedges (RTX Zipcore) are +1.4” and 2* upright...but still not sure if they’re long enough or if the Irons especially are the right shaft (PX Rifle 6.0).

And I won’t even start talking about my new Driver and 3-Wood (SIM Max D)...they are disastrous right now!!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

I'm 6'4" as well and my old Pings were +1. I thought it helped but I also didn't play them much over the last 20 years. When I bought irons last summer, they were standard length and I feel like I hit them so much better.

I've never had a fitting and getting my swing analyzed for the first time in 30 years next month. It will be interesting to see what they think. I like the idea of a progressive set maybe.

<edit> but I think longer wedges would have a negative impact on my game

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

47/50/54/58 here. Gives plenty of versatility around the greens and the 58* is money out of the bunkers.

I tend to play most wedge shots with a slightly open face, so the 60* just always feels like too much - so the 58* effective loft that I play is probably pretty close to that though if I were to play a 60* square.

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

9 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Interesting. And you don’t have any problems making solid contact with the ball through sand with that high of a loft?

Nope, no problem at all. Tradition sand wedge is 56* so only 2* difference which isn't much out of the bunker. 

When I used to carry 50*, 54* and 58* no issues using both 54* or 58* out of the bunker as well. 

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

17 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

Nope, no problem at all. Tradition sand wedge is 56* so only 2* difference which isn't much out of the bunker. 

When I used to carry 50*, 54* and 58* no issues using both 54* or 58* out of the bunker as well. 

Awesome...good to know! Makes sense...going to spend more time with both the 54* and the 58* out of the bunker and different shots within 100 yds and figure out what will be the best setup going forward.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 3/14/2021 at 4:30 PM, TigerInTheWoods said:

It's funny, I'd argue it's actually more beneficial to higher HCs. I don't know one golfer over a 5 who consistently hits their carry gaps lower than 30* in loft. I'm dead serious. It makes way more sense for a higher HC to add more clubs in the long end that they can hit well such as 4w, 7w, a couple of hybrids or even a UDI of sorts as a second tee option course dependent. My experiment may end. We'll see, but I'm excited to see what it does for my game. I'd argue that I overthink which wedge to use more than I do which long club to use. It's much easier to knock a couple off a 52 than it is a 3w. 

Fair point. I'm a mid handicapper that loves to practice with my wedges so I guess I have a better feel with them. Plus based on the courses I play I never see awkward yardage gaps at the top of my bag where I wish I had more variety. If I struggle with my driver its 3 wood off the tee or my 3i. Gaps between my 3i and 3w are 225-240 carry respectively so for me I don't see value for a 5 wood or hybrid. Not to mention when I do play with lower handicaps I tend to see them drive well and hit irons well but they struggle 100 yards in and around the green so maybe that's what driving my thinking. Although your comment makes me want to buy a 5w and hybrid to practice with lol.

5 hours ago, FlopShotGang said:

Fair point. I'm a mid handicapper that loves to practice with my wedges so I guess I have a better feel with them. Plus based on the courses I play I never see awkward yardage gaps at the top of my bag where I wish I had more variety. If I struggle with my driver its 3 wood off the tee or my 3i. Gaps between my 3i and 3w are 225-240 carry respectively so for me I don't see value for a 5 wood or hybrid. Not to mention when I do play with lower handicaps I tend to see them drive well and hit irons well but they struggle 100 yards in and around the green so maybe that's what driving my thinking. Although your comment makes me want to buy a 5w and hybrid to practice with lol.

Play the setup that you like and makes sense for you... though I don’t recommend a 3 iron for anyone!

you are long enough that it makes sense to have less long clubs and more short ones... and it seems like you are willing to put in the time to learn your distances with the wedges.

just keep grinding! The secret to lower scores is avoiding the big numbers.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Take mine to the next level......maybe I’m crazy and make it too complicated, but I carry 5 wedges. 45 pw, 48, 52, 56, 60.

My distance control isn’t a strong part of my game as I don’t play that often as I’d like, so i added the 48 to bridge my 120-125 yard shot. The 60* is a HI toe which just put in the bag last year and is taking some time to get used to it...only used for bunkers and recovery shots.

4i goes up to 220-225. Have a 4wood that could be replaced by a 5 wood to close that top gap, but those shots are very rare for courses I play.

• Like 1

Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* w/ GD VF 6TX

OG Sim Ti 16.5 w/ D+ LTD 80TX

Cobra King Tec 19* w/ TZ6 95M5

T200-T150 4-PW w/ Accra TZi 115's

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* bent to 48* w/ Accra TZi 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54* & Vokey SM9 60* D grind w/ PX LS 6.0's

LAB Mezz 1 65/35

Chrome Soft X LS

This depends on your Golf Course setup and your game I think.

I played 4 wedges for a long time and worked hard on my 100 yrd game to dial in yardages with each wedge. After moving to a more difficult course that had longer par 3 setups, I took a wedge out to have more options from 210 - 175 yrds.  I found trying to knock 10 yards off a fairway wood more difficult than trying to knock 10 yards off a 50* wedge.

in short, I based my decision on the par 3 yardage from the tee's i was playing. if they are within reach of my 5 iron, i carry an extra wedge. if not, i make due with fewer wedges.

48 - 52 - 56 - 60

43 (pw) - 50 - 58

• Like 1

I think the loft on a SW depends on the skill of the user. The higher the loft the higher the skillset of the golfer. I use a 54* and have great success. Yesterday, first time out this year (michigan), I saved par on a tough par 3 out of the trap with my 54* sw. It was a longer sand shot from 40 ft to abut 8 ft, and sank the putt. I do have a 58 in the bag and will use that out of the sand in the right circumstances, but have better success with the 54*.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

On 3/18/2021 at 12:44 PM, hybrid25 said:

I think the loft on a SW depends on the skill of the user. The higher the loft the higher the skillset of the golfer. I use a 54* and have great success. Yesterday, first time out this year (michigan), I saved par on a tough par 3 out of the trap with my 54* sw. It was a longer sand shot from 40 ft to abut 8 ft, and sank the putt. I do have a 58 in the bag and will use that out of the sand in the right circumstances, but have better success with the 54*.

I think you’re right about the skill level of the user. I agree that the 58* could be good out of the bunker for some guys, but I don’t think I’m there yet.

I decided to stick with the 50-54-58 wedge setup for 2 main reasons:

1) The 54* is my best club out of the bunker

2) Ordered a new set of irons with a 44* PW, so the gap between 44* and 52* would be too large for me in the 52-58 setup

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX