2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

New Golfer

Newbie15

Here's a link to my swing. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

I'm a new golfer. I played about a dozen times 25 years ago and hated it. Back then I Couldn't afford lessons so I had almost no idea what I was doing and the results were terrible.  This July I finally gave in to my wife's carping and agreed to give it a try again. She's also new at the game. And now I'm hooked.

Since July I've probably played 10 times, taken a couple of lessons and watched untold hours of youtube videos. I also went out and got myself a net and matt and set up a little hitting area in my garage. I'm in Syracuse where we already have a foot of snow on the ground and seen single digit temps but a couple of propane heaters warms the garage up to about 60 degrees pretty quickly.

I subscribed to Clay Ballard's online lesson series and I take my laptop into the garage and work through his drills.

Here are the things that I am trying to do during my swing:

- Hip and shoulder rotation in both directions

- Left arm straightish on the back swing

- Extend my arms towards the target after contact (not doing very well)

-Rotate around my spine without swaying left/right or in/out

-Shift my weigh forward during the swing

- Swing at 100% effort

I'm limited by being 53 years old, out of shape and unathletic but these are the things I'm thinking about.

I could do a better job at all of these things and hopefully by practicing a few times a week I can improve. I also intend to take a few lessons between now and the spring. 

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Including if I am doing anything well enough to stop thinking about it. Or if I am focusing on the wrong things.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BieqGk1WQE0

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not the most qualified person on this forum to help (I'm new here), but I see nobody has jumped in so hopefully this will spur some discussion by people who can tell you how to fix what I see. 

It looks to me like you start your takeaway nicely, but once you get past the club being parallel to the ground you steepen your backswing severely. Instead of rotating around your spine, you start rotating upwards and over your body. Your shoulders have stopped turning, but you're trying to extend your backswing with your arms and hands to give you "more" rotation. On your video, you see that you've stopped your shoulder turn around the 18 second mark, but your arms keep going around to the 27 second mark. 

You get the backswing so far around that you (like I did before seeing a pro) have pointed the club to the right of your target line at the top of the backswing.

image.png.54a398486868f1d484002df286e576ec.png

This gets you into a position that you can't get out of. You naturally have to steepen your downswing just to try to get the club around, which you do. Below is your backswing (left) compared to your downswing (right).

image.png.fdeef335fe876e33056a2601a3350499.pngimage.png.bfe15bfe4517dc1ca81cbd1a8a5e0103.png

On the backswing most would IMHO consider that steep. On the downswing you're nearly vertical. 

Everything else in the swing (over the top move, visible out-to-in swing path, follow through way to the left) comes from that IMHO. 

Again, I can't really give too much advice on fixes... I'd consider trying to shorten your backswing significantly though. When your shoulders stop turning, don't try to keep rotating through your arms. Momentum might keep the club moving a little after your shoulders stop, but not your arms. If this means you have a lesser rotation due to age and flexibility issues, so be it--you can work on that separately through stretching and exercise. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Thanks for the feedback. As you were typing I was in the garage trying to implement some changes to shallow my swing. Without much success, LOL.  Here's a clip from today.  1.5.21 swing

I am seeing a pro tomorrow and I will see what he suggests.  

I do have limited flexibility and if that means I have to shorten my backswing in order to make it work I can try to do that. Unfortunately it does feel like my power (what I have) comes from that over the top move.

I have seen suggestions like "face your right hand to the sky" at the top and to exaggerate the shallowing by trying to bring the club parallel to the ground on the down swing. I can try to do those things. 

Thanks again.

20 hours ago, Newbie15 said:

Unfortunately it does feel like my power (what I have) comes from that over the top move.

BTW now is not the time to focus on power. Trying to develop power through bad movements will just screw you up.

When I was a kid going to a group golf camp, the pro told us "First worry about striking the ball square, then worry about hitting the ball straight, and only then should you focus on hitting the ball far." 

Right now after coming back to the game from a 5 year layoff, and trying to actually get serious about improving my swing and getting better, I find that on the course I'm taking about 1-2 extra clubs because I can't focus on fixing my swing flaws and hitting the ball far at the same time. 

If you get your swing motion correct, it's a lot easier to develop power. 

• Like 1

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Yes, my balance feels better.  The rotating my hands CW in order to swing inside out feels a little forced to me. And it's not that easy to repeat. I wish I could just take the club back and have it be more horizontal at the top. Every time I think I have it, I take a live swing and watch the video and I'm back to vertical again.  

I'm going to try the drill where you grip an alignment stick together with the club and practice having the stick come out the grip pointed at the target line.

Thanks

In terms of shallowing the club and swinging from the inside to the outside, is this swing acceptable? Or do I need to continue making adjustments? And if so, what adjustments?

I want to do it the right way ONCE, get it on camera and than practice replicating that enough to make it my new normal.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:42 PM, laneholt said:

Absolutely- very close . You could drop you HANDS down behind you slightly more , but you are making progress !

Some FACTS to consider — it will be IMPOSSIBLE for you ( or anyone ) to be able to see a ball struck . It will be impossible  for you to see  the movements of your HANDS during your swing. You will NOT know where any part of your body is during the swing BC the brain does not receive messages in real time . Your brain CAN ONLY receive messages after it has occurred in the 2/10 seconds allotted for the DS !

Therefore - the ONLY/chance you have to perform this task and to have ANY clue as to what path you intend your HANDS and ARMS to travel will HAVE TO BE ** PREPROGRAMMED *** in your BRAIN . Don’t worry - your brain will know where it extremities are without your looking ! Particularly your DOMINANT RIGHT HAND . ALL MEMORY IS STORED IN THE BRAIN- no’s such thing as muscle memory! This is a lot to chew on , I know ,  But you seem to understand that these are FACTS - not my OPINION or THEORY- not interested is those ! Good luck 

neuroscience. .. actually everything, is theory. And there is a popular theory is that there are brain cells located throughout the human body. 

i agree about the preprogramming theory tho

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

10 hours ago, laneholt said:

Yep- their is also lots of popular ridiculous  THEORY about the golf swing ! And I imagine  the same people who believe their are brain cells throughout our body believe in ghost , the tooth fairy and aliens !

Haha or they are respected neuroscientists teaching popular theories at universities. And they probably can write two sentences without two major spelling issues. 

but at least you were smart enough to agree your stance in fact is not “fact,” but “theory.”  You are starting to learn. 

The best part of your response is that I knew to check back because I knew you wouldn’t quote me.  I’m coming to understand the Tactics of people like yourself. 

go ahead. . Let’s compare your lack of formal education in neuroscience to my experience. I’d love that.

Oh wait, Actually, we have done that before, and unless you went back to school in the last year, you have/had no reason to be talking about neuroscience as if you know anything about the popular theories.

You obviously do not have a background in neuroscience, and just say inflammatory insults because you have no real rebuttal to someone who points out you do not have experience that supports you are an authority on anything related to science. 

FACT is, you are just spewing nonsense, in capital letters, like you usually do.

just like the warnings in the BST, the mods should put up warnings against people like you in the swing video section lol

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

On 12/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, Newbie15 said:

Here's a link to my swing. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

I'm a new golfer. I played about a dozen times 25 years ago and hated it. Back then I Couldn't afford lessons so I had almost no idea what I was doing and the results were terrible.  This July I finally gave in to my wife's carping and agreed to give it a try again. She's also new at the game. And now I'm hooked.

Since July I've probably played 10 times, taken a couple of lessons and watched untold hours of youtube videos. I also went out and got myself a net and matt and set up a little hitting area in my garage. I'm in Syracuse where we already have a foot of snow on the ground and seen single digit temps but a couple of propane heaters warms the garage up to about 60 degrees pretty quickly.

I subscribed to Clay Ballard's online lesson series and I take my laptop into the garage and work through his drills.

Here are the things that I am trying to do during my swing:

- Hip and shoulder rotation in both directions

- Left arm straightish on the back swing

- Extend my arms towards the target after contact (not doing very well)

-Rotate around my spine without swaying left/right or in/out

-Shift my weigh forward during the swing

- Swing at 100% effort

I'm limited by being 53 years old, out of shape and unathletic but these are the things I'm thinking about.

I could do a better job at all of these things and hopefully by practicing a few times a week I can improve. I also intend to take a few lessons between now and the spring. 

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Including if I am doing anything well enough to stop thinking about it. Or if I am focusing on the wrong things.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BieqGk1WQE0

OP...be careful. 

go to a real coach that uses video. 

Edited by extrastiff

On 1/5/2021 at 6:27 PM, Newbie15 said:

That's the first I've heard the "hit the inside quadrant" piece.

That intention alone will cure a lot of what ails 'ya.   It's an instruction piece older than goats grazing linksland.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:32 AM, laneholt said:

It is the TURNING OF THE TORSO THAT SQUARES THE FACE, NOT THE HANDS !

Nice,  less hands bringing more game.  

• Like 1

You need more work “shallowing”. In the video from 1-7 you’ve essentially just tortured the hand path but the shaft is still steep. The point of the thing, for you, is to get the head of the club into a deeper position throughout more of the downswing so you can hit the inside of the ball. When you get to left arm parallel to the ground in the downswing the shaft of the club should be pointed at the blue bucket on the ground. You’re still aimed inside the ball. You need to get the head of the club to go further behind you. It would help immensely if your left wrist worked from cupped (where it is now) to flat in the downswing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newbie15 said:

Thanks. You would think that this would be easier than it is.

Happy Danny Glover GIF by Regal

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laneholt said:

Newbie15,

Golf sticks has given you some good advice . I would only differ with one thing . ONLY Our DOMINANT RIGHT HAND is capable of performing this and more conscious effort MUST be given to it ? The left side of our brain controls RIGHT SIDE MOVEMENT and more than 80 % of it is dedicated to the right side . 

What do you say to a leftie who swings right handed clubs?

• 3 weeks later...

Here is yesterdays swing with my coach.

On the downswing I am working on having the shaft angled 45 degrees behind me at the point where the club is parallel to the ground and my hands are at my right thigh.

The pro hasn't mentioned how steep my club is at the top. 

https://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/7T1e27xy?e=23501480