Any "regular Joe's" finding much difference with Ventus shafts?

This question is purely for the low-end stiff and regular flex driver shaft players out there (in other words, if you swing over 100 mph, you're not the target crowd I'm looking for): has anyone found much luck with any of these shafts?  Did you notice any difference between the "made-for" OEM stock versions compared to the "real-deal" Velacore shafts?  Before you say it, I live in the middle of Wyoming, so just going to get fitted in the next 4 months is not really an option, and even after the courses open up there really aren't much for options within 250 miles.

I like a 60ish gram driver shaft, looking for a fairly high launch (most interested in the red model), swing speed around 90-92, but I switched to x-flex modus 105 iron shafts this year because the Mizuno shaft optimizer said I had an aggressive transition and they have been a welcome change for me (it actually recommended PX 6.5, C-Taper X, but that was just ridiculous).

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green (until Ping g425 Max 12/Tensei 55 shows up)
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids

Malty DBM 6-Gap, TT Elevate 95S

Hogan TK 57* (until Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 58 show up)

TP Mills Sycamore/Spaulding TPM VIII/Mannkrafted MA-99/Bellum Winmore 787 Tie-Fighter

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a clue what my SS is, but I am 70yrs old; it's NOT tour speed, that's for sure.  I currently play to a 4 and have Ventus Velocore 5 Series 59g "S" in TS2 9.5' Driver since it was introduced, and s

The average player may not be able to notice a difference between the VeloCore and non-VeloCore models when swinging them, but they should notice a difference in their results. 

I’m also just over 100 mph club speed and can say without a doubt the Ventus Blue 6S Velocore is the best driver shaft I’ve ever played. In my experience, there was a huge difference between the made

I never hit the non-VeloCore versions, but had a Red 6-S that I hot too high and replaced it with a Blue 5-S that I love. I feel like it is point and shoot... provided I am pointed in the right direction. I may move to an R flex as I just don't generate the clubhead speed I once did.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 8.0° - Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6-R

TaylorMade M3 13° Project X HZRDUS Red 75 5.5
Srixon ZX 16° KBS Tour Prototype 85 R
Callaway Big Bertha 25° KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
TaylorMade M1 5-AW Nippon NS Pro 950GH S
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11s 35"
Titleist Pro V1x
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the major benefit of these shafts (particularly the velocore versions) the enhanced stability?

I thought it was a great feeling and performing shaft, but I didn't see any particular benefit from the velocore version. I was able to get pretty similar performance from shafts at substantially lower price points. However, I didn't bother to hit the non-velocore version.

FYI, my swing speed is only in the 100-103 mph range. 

Taylormade SIM Max 9 - Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70 S
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Titleist 818 H2 21 at C4 (22) - MRC Tensei AV White 90 S
Ping i20 4i-PW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  58 ES - AWT 2.0  S - Black Dot
Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"

I’ve tried the 5R red made for in the SIM Max 10.5* and it launched way too high for me.

I’ve also tried a 6S blue and 6S red in a 10.5* Ping 410LST and 9* SIM. I am currently gaming a 6S blue in a SIM 9* as that worked better.

I wasn’t able to compare side by side the non-Velocore vs the Velocore versions, but in the drivers with the velocore shafts there was a noticeable dispersion improvement for me. The dispersion improvement was also noticeable VS the stock Diamana stiff shaft too.

I have a SS of average 94 and usually launch high-high spin with the driver.

I’m not sure if this would be applicable to the OP, but I found which Ventus worked better for me was a bit head dependant. The red had better results in the Ping while the blue had better results in the SIM.

Red 6 is very nice but it helps to play with the loft of your driver if it's adjustable. 

Da Bag...

TM SIM Max 10.5, Fujikura Speeder Evolution V 569 - R

Ping G410 14.5, Fujikura Speeder Evolution V 474 - R

Titleist TS2 19* and 22*, KBS Proto Hybrid R/S

Mizuno 921 SEL 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 750GH S

Titleist Vokey SM8 50, Nippon N.S. Pro 750GH S

Cleveland Zipcore 54/58 Low-Bounce, Nippon N.S. Pro 750GH S

TM Spider FCG Slant Neck 32"

On 1/7/2021 at 6:16 AM, Rotorite said:

I’ve tried the 5R red made for in the SIM Max 10.5* and it launched way too high for me.

I’ve also tried a 6S blue and 6S red in a 10.5* Ping 410LST and 9* SIM. I am currently gaming a 6S blue in a SIM 9* as that worked better.

I wasn’t able to compare side by side the non-Velocore vs the Velocore versions, but in the drivers with the velocore shafts there was a noticeable dispersion improvement for me. The dispersion improvement was also noticeable VS the stock Diamana stiff shaft too.

I have a SS of average 94 and usually launch high-high spin with the driver.

I’m not sure if this would be applicable to the OP, but I found which Ventus worked better for me was a bit head dependant. The red had better results in the Ping while the blue had better results in the SIM.

On 1/4/2021 at 11:05 AM, bazinky said:

Isn't the major benefit of these shafts (particularly the velocore versions) the enhanced stability?

I thought it was a great feeling and performing shaft, but I didn't see any particular benefit from the velocore version. I was able to get pretty similar performance from shafts at substantially lower price points. However, I didn't bother to hit the non-velocore version.

FYI, my swing speed is only in the 100-103 mph range. 

SS around 100, tested 6s Ventus blue and black ( w/velocore) with Sim 9.  I had a non-velocore blue that came with the sim that I couldn’t keep on the planet!! Both shafts I tested were much more stable than the non-velocore.  The blue was too active for me spinning around 2700. Ventus black fit my swing, getting me better dispersion w/spin around 2400. That being said I got fit for the new Hzrdus rdx blue 6s.  🙄

To me, there is true value in aftermarket shafts but I think all depends on how much it matters to you and the pocketbook.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS w/ Tensei 1k 6s

M6 3w Oban Purp 75g

M6 5w Graphite Design ad-di 7s

Apex Pro 21 MMT 95s  

Mizuno T-20 50, 54, 58

TM spider x

Pro V1x

• 1 month later...

I'm usually just at or just over 100 mph driver SS. I've played and liked Tensei Pro White 60S, Kuro Kage XT60S, and currently play the Ventus Velocore Blue 6S. I think the Ventus is the best driver shaft I've ever played. I tried the non-velocore in a SiM head and did not have nearly the same results. I'm currently playing the Ventus in a Mavrik Std head at 9 deg turned down to 8 because I have about a 5 deg pos AOA on driver. Just bought a TSi3 driver and have been practicing with the Tensei Pro White in that head along with the Smoke RDX and getting pretty great results.

I do not think that performance of one shaft in one head means the same results on all heads. I'll be able to tell a bit more when I build the Ventus up to go in the TSi3.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 8:01 PM, MisterT said:

I never hit the non-VeloCore versions, but had a Red 6-S that I hot too high and replaced it with a Blue 5-S that I love. I feel like it is point and shoot... provided I am pointed in the right direction. I may move to an R flex as I just don't generate the clubhead speed I once did.

Whats your driver SS? Just purchased the Ventus Blue 5S (haven't hit it) - but have high expectations. I'm around 95-98.

Driver: Ping G425 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Hzrdus Black 5.5*
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
4 Hybrid: Ping G425 (22 Degree) - CB Alta 70S
Irons: Mizuno MP -20 (MMC) 6-PW - KBS $ Taper (120)
Vokey (50 Degree) SM7 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (54 Degree) SM7 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

14 hours ago, Tdsjfb said:

Whats your driver SS? Just purchased the Ventus Blue 5S (haven't hit it) - but have high expectations. I'm around 95-98.

My driver is D3 swingwieght and my swing speed tops out around 91-92... at least it did last weekend when I went to Edwin Watts golf shop after playing 18 in the morning.

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1x
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I had the Ventus VeloCore Blue 6 in R-flex, it was nothing special for me.  I preferred the Rogue Silver 60ish gram shaft in R-flex to it.  I had those 2 shafts and the Cobra SZ and SZ Extreme heads, which are the head/shaft combos I was comparing.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Srixon ZU85 23*

Maltby DBM Forged 5-P

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

I have two drivers:

‘Taylormade SIM Max 9 with the standard Ventus Blue 6S non Velocore shaft and when I go after it, I get a fade/slice.

‘I just got a Cobra Speedzone Pars and Stripes limited Edition 9 degree with the Velocore 6R in it and my fades are gone. Even with the Reg shaft I can still go after it and I like the trajectory and distance. Could also be the lower spinning head of the Cobra.

‘Both shafts go high and long but the Velocore feels tighter and dispersion is way better.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Any experience in how the Ventus blue is swing weighting compared to the Tour 65 shaft?

4 hours ago, Manny2288 said:

I have two drivers:

‘Taylormade SIM Max 9 with the standard Ventus Blue 6S non Velocore shaft and when I go after it, I get a fade/slice.

‘I just got a Cobra Speedzone Pars and Stripes limited Edition 9 degree with the Velocore 6R in it and my fades are gone. Even with the Reg shaft I can still go after it and I like the trajectory and distance. Could also be the lower spinning head of the Cobra.

‘Both shafts go high and long but the Velocore feels tighter and dispersion is way better.

Hope this helps.

What's your driver SS?  How would you describe your transition?

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green (until Ping g425 Max 12/Tensei 55 shows up)
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids

Malty DBM 6-Gap, TT Elevate 95S

Hogan TK 57* (until Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 58 show up)

TP Mills Sycamore/Spaulding TPM VIII/Mannkrafted MA-99/Bellum Winmore 787 Tie-Fighter

• 4 weeks later...

Got my Ventus Blue (Velocore) 5S (95-100 SS) plugged into my G425 and it has blown my mind (on the range). Incredible feel and just straight. I'm playing tomorrow with ProV1 so we'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Not a clue what my SS is, but I am 70yrs old; it's NOT tour speed, that's for sure.  I currently play to a 4 and have Ventus Velocore 5 Series 59g "S" in TS2 9.5' Driver since it was introduced, and same shaft only 7 series "S" in 4wd

My previous shaft was "Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec "S" 60", heavier weight and swing weight too.  Though I could trust it for 235-240 carry, a big one was 270 and those were few and far between, and I was younger.

I have NOT had any 285-300yard drives in quite a few years, not till Ventus Velocore and the last few months.  The stability of the shaft helps me to hit the ball, plus proper tee height puts the ball 1/2 above the crown and sleeve setting of is A4, playing length is 44.75, and I choke down 1-1.50".  Since I've become comfortable with that setup and how I address the ball I hit drives that are exciting me, and amazing friends that are 20+/- years younger.  Its technology at its best with my swing.

What makes a difference IMO is with the right shaft staying with a solid swing, my AoA is +/-, and club head meets the ball slightly above the equator of the club face, fractionally forward, so I am using the sweet spot and getting max distance more consistently and confidently.  But don't get me wrong, it's taken me some time and patience to get to where I am with driver, so it just didn't happen off the shelf or overnight. 

• Like 2
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei AV White "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
24 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Not a clue what my SS is, but I am 70yrs old; it's NOT tour speed, that's for sure.  I currently play to a 4 and have Ventus Velocore 5 Series 59g "S" in TS2 9.5' Driver since it was introduced, and same shaft only 7 series "S" in 4wd

My previous shaft was "Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec "S" 60", heavier weight and swing weight too.  Though I could trust it for 235-240 carry, a big one was 270 and those were few and far between, and I was younger.

I have NOT had any 285-300yard drives in quite a few years, not till Ventus Velocore and the last few months.  The stability of the shaft helps me to hit the ball, plus proper tee height puts the ball 1/2 above the crown and sleeve setting of is A4, playing length is 44.75, and I choke down 1-1.50".  Since I've become comfortable with that setup and how I address the ball I hit drives that are exciting me, and amazing friends that are 20+/- years younger.  Its technology at its best with my swing.

What makes a difference IMO is with the right shaft staying with a solid swing, my AoA is +/-, and club head meets the ball slightly above the equator of the club face, fractionally forward, so I am using the sweet spot and getting max distance more consistently and confidently.  But don't get me wrong, it's taken me some time and patience to get to where I am with driver, so it just didn't happen off the shelf or overnight. 

you playing Ventus Blue or Red?

I've played the same driver (G400) for a few years and loved it. I put in a blue 6s last year, and I am blown away by the change. I'm hitting low spin bombs that run forever. I never spent on an exotic shaft before, but this one is so good that I'm considering a red in the FW wood (I could use help with the loft).

18 hours ago, jubess said:

you playing Ventus Blue or Red?

Venture Velocore "Red" in Driver and 4wd.  It has the same x-stiff handle as Black, but only a stiff tip, as opposed to ultra-stiff tip in Black.  Velocore Blue handle is a bit too soft for my style of play.  I still swing the handle pretty hard. 

This is actually the first "Red" shaft profile I've played.  Back when Color shafts were popular, Red typically didn't have a stiff enough handle, or mid-section, and tips were way too active, often 4-5", and they were designed mostly for fairway woods. 

Back when Mitsubishi put out Diamana White, Blue and Red, I bought all 3, but played Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct, "S" in Driver for quite some time.  What a great shaft.  Played White for a while too, but Red tip section was too active, so it along with the other two now collects dust in golf closet. 

I was truly surprised at how well suited the Red shaft is for me.  Only it's important to know, its taken me some time to learn to use the shaft.  I bought Ventus Red in early 2020, but not till late 2020 was I beginning to dial it in and develop confidence. 

Now, I am excited to test myself on difficult driving holes.  I am even going after the ball harder; as a result gaining confidence in the club.  Just maybe the best part though is, I rarely miss the fairway, making dispersion minimal.  Is it worth $350, you may ask?  My response is for me, a resounding yes.

• SC CA Monterey

So, on the course today, with real golf balls (2021 ProV1). A couple observations with the Ping G425 with Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S. Results were (VERY) tremendous, BUT, and I didn't experience this on the range, the sound was not pleasing (tin can esque). Not ridiculously annoying, just "apparent". May have to explore a little "hot melt".

Played my first round with the Ventus Red 5R2 in my Ping G425 Max head. Very pleased with the results. The trajectory on my drives were definitely lower and more penetrating resulting in more run out. According to my Garmin g62 I gained about 10 yards on my drives due to more roll out. The shaft is very easy to swing and doesn't feel boardy at all. I was worried due to the low torque rating but I was able to hit nice draws with it. The Max head is 10.5 and I had the weight in the draw setting.

• Like 1

I have now had the chance to hit the VeloCore and non-VeloCore Ventus 5-S and 6-R shafts and there is no comparison to me. The VeloCore tightens up the dispersion much more than the no-VeloCore version. I am 60 years old and am sticking with the 6-R.

Titleist Pro V1x
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I'm using the non-Velacore 6-S in my SIM 2 3W.  Swing speed is 101mph with the 3W and averages 108mph with the driver(G410 Tensei Orange).  I really like it.  3W carries 240.  Was easily the most controlled setup I tested when getting fitted.  I get that it is a made for, but it worked great for me.  YMMV. 

G410 10.5 Tensei Orange S - SIM2 HL 3W VENTUS BLUE 6 S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

On 12/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, sm_watts said:

This question is purely for the low-end stiff and regular flex driver shaft players out there (in other words, if you swing over 100 mph, you're not the target crowd I'm looking for): has anyone found much luck with any of these shafts?  Did you notice any difference between the "made-for" OEM stock versions compared to the "real-deal" Velacore shafts?  Before you say it, I live in the middle of Wyoming, so just going to get fitted in the next 4 months is not really an option, and even after the courses open up there really aren't much for options within 250 miles.

I like a 60ish gram driver shaft, looking for a fairly high launch (most interested in the red model), swing speed around 90-92, but I switched to x-flex modus 105 iron shafts this year because the Mizuno shaft optimizer said I had an aggressive transition and they have been a welcome change for me (it actually recommended PX 6.5, C-Taper X, but that was just ridiculous).

there is a video on you tube comparing OEM vs made for shafts (GolfTec) and the Ventus made for is very similar to the velacore (average player wont notice a difference). The also compared Tensei made for vs Tensei OEM and Hazardus made for vs. OEM, Tensei and Hazardus did have some differences on the launch monitors.

• Thanks 1
On 4/20/2021 at 12:26 PM, 2ball said:

there is a video on you tube comparing OEM vs made for shafts (GolfTec) and the Ventus made for is very similar to the velacore (average player wont notice a difference). The also compared Tensei made for vs Tensei OEM and Hazardus made for vs. OEM, Tensei and Hazardus did have some differences on the launch monitors.

The average player may not be able to notice a difference between the VeloCore and non-VeloCore models when swinging them, but they should notice a difference in their results. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist Pro V1x
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

On 4/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, MisterT said:

Agree.  Velocore, in my case, keeps the shaft stable while I get after the strike.  I can even swing out of my shoes.

• Like 1
  • SC CA Monterey
On 4/15/2021 at 11:07 AM, Drumdog said:

I have a regular flex non-Velacore Ventus Red 4t Core 50R coming today from Tour Edge to replace the stiff HZRDUS Blue I had them put in my C721.

I'm 63 yrs old and am realizing that a stiff shaft is not the best for me. I will report my findings after playing the new shaft this weekend.

Drumdog, How do you like the  Ventus Red 4t Core 50R c?