Any "regular Joe's" finding much difference with Ventus shafts?

4 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

How stiff are people finding the Ventus plays to flex.

These days I top out at 95, smooth swing, upward AOA.

5R, 5S or 6R?

I Play the red ventus 5R in my driver.Swing speed tops out around 98mph and I can really go after it with no hook issues and a nice ball flight.Absolutely love this shaft!

On 5/1/2021 at 9:06 PM, sfdoddsy said:

5R, 5S or 6R?

FWIW, I'm round 95-98 and play the Ventus Blue (Velo) 5S and it's incredible. I've never hit so may fairways (with the Ping G425 Driver).

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

I’m also just over 100 mph club speed and can say without a doubt the Ventus Blue 6S Velocore is the best driver shaft I’ve ever played. In my experience, there was a huge difference between the made for (non-velocore) version. Recognizing that not all shafts and heads pair the same, I’ve hit my VB in an M5, then Mavrik, and now Epic Speed all with fantastic results. I’ve got a red 5S with Velocore to try at a little longer playing length but it will have to be pretty amazing to kick out the Blue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, Tdsjfb said:

FWIW, I'm round 95-98 and play the Ventus Blue (Velo) 5S and it's incredible. I've never hit so may fairways (with the Ping G425 Driver).

I have a g425 max on order with the Tensei orange 55 raw.  I'll give it a solid shot before I start thinking about doing this switch, but probably with the red 5r.  My SS is 92-94.

• Like 1

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

On 5/1/2021 at 9:06 PM, sfdoddsy said:

5R, 5S or 6R?

I to have a 92-95 driver swing. I borrowed a black 6s velocore from a buddy and he has not got it back yet..It has dropped my spin and i can keep it in the short grass a lot more then my smoke did.

Sand traps suck

I just discovered that a fitter here in Sydney (Australia) does a  Try Before You Buy scheme where you pay $30 to use a shaft for a week.

So I have now tried out the Red and Blue 5r and the Blue 5S on the range, on a momitor and on course.

I normally alternate between a Smoke 5.5 and  Tour VR 5S. I’m naturally low spin with a strong AOA and the usual ball flight is a draw.

Driver is normally the strongest part of my game. At 60 I’m not as long as I was, but much straighter. I expect to hit or be just off every fairway at my home course.

I love the Ventus in my hybrid and was hoping  to reduce spin a tad and tighten dispersion even more with the driver.

The Red and I didn’t get on. The Blue R and I did, except I drew it a tad more than I’d like. The 5S was straighter, but I had the occasional leak right, which I hate.

I suspect the 6r would be the Goldilocks flex.

Spin, launch and distance were great.

Dispersion was a smidge better than my current shafts.

Overall not quite enough of an improvement to justify the cost herein Australia.

I will, however, keep my eyes peeled for a reasonably priced used Blue 6R.

Edited by sfdoddsy
  • Like 1

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 10:50 AM, jubess said:

Played my first round with the Ventus Red 5R2 in my Ping G425 Max head. Very pleased with the results. The trajectory on my drives were definitely lower and more penetrating resulting in more run out. According to my Garmin g62 I gained about 10 yards on my drives due to more roll out. The shaft is very easy to swing and doesn't feel boardy at all. I was worried due to the low torque rating but I was able to hit nice draws with it. The Max head is 10.5 and I had the weight in the draw setting.

Similar swing speed.... I’m playing a Ventus Red R in a Tour Edge C721 and found similar results, more boring penetrating ball flight plus about 15-20 yds of rollout. 

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

On 5/12/2021 at 6:25 PM, sfdoddsy said:

I just discovered that a fitter here in Sydney (Australia) does a  Try Before You Buy scheme where you pay $30 to use a shaft for a week.

So I have now tried out the Red and Blue 5r and the Blue 5S on the range, on a momitor and on course.

I normally alternate between a Smoke 5.5 and  Tour VR 5S. I’m naturally low spin with a strong AOA and the usual ball flight is a draw.

Driver is normally the strongest part of my game. At 60 I’m not as long as I was, but much straighter. I expect to hit or be just off every fairway at my home course.

I love the Ventus in my hybrid and was hoping  to reduce spin a tad and tighten dispersion even more with the driver.

The Red and I didn’t get on. The Blue R and I did, except I drew it a tad more than I’d like. The 5S was straighter, but I had the occasional leak right, which I hate.

I suspect the 6r would be the Goldilocks flex.

Spin, launch and distance were great.

Dispersion was a smidge better than my current shafts.

Overall not quite enough of an improvement to justify the cost herein Australia.

I will, however, keep my eyes peeled for a reasonably priced used Blue 6R.

As a fellow Sydneysider - could I ask who is the fitter doing this? Would love this option. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have not tried any of the real deal velocore versions. I tried the TM Blue in drivers and fairways. Didn't like it in the fairways. Wanted a touch more height. Didn't really notice a difference in numbers in the driver from the Kuro Kage, Diamana, or Ventus. Ultimately opted for Kuro Kage on feel 

I'm now playing a Tour Edge Red 6S in a 13.5 C721. Little more height and a softer feel than the TM Blue version I test in Sim Max and Sim 2 Max fairways.

From everything I've seen the Velocore versions with the premium materials should offer more efficient energy transfer on less than ideal strikes. The "high moi shaft" idea but the made for versions for different OEMs are definitely solid stock shafts

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

Further to my post above about 5R vs 5S vs 6R vs Red/Blue.

I found a used Blue 6R on the Classifieds here a couple of weeks back and have now had a few rounds and a LM session with it.

For me, the various 5s were pretty similar to each other and to other similar weight shafts I’ve tried such as the AD VR.

The 6 feels very different. Same shot shape (draw) with slightly tighter dispersion. But notably lower launch and spin.

The lighter shafts worked best with my smooth fairway finder swing (130ish ball speed).

The 6 has been inconsistent with the smooth 3/4 swings. But the harder I try to hit it the better it responds.

I should note that this is all relative since I have a smooth tempo at the best of times and these days my fastest ball speed barely nudges 140.

But to get the launch and shape I’m after I do feel like I have the give the 6 a clout. I haven’t decided whether this is good or bad. It is certainly fun swinging hard and seeing the ball go dead straight.

• Like 1

Mavrik Fuji Pro

PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

On 6/16/2021 at 4:24 AM, sfdoddsy said:

Further to my post above about 5R vs 5S vs 6R vs Red/Blue.

I found a used Blue 6R on the Classifieds here a couple of weeks back and have now had a few rounds and a LM session with it.

For me, the various 5s were pretty similar to each other and to other similar weight shafts I’ve tried such as the AD VR.

The 6 feels very different. Same shot shape (draw) with slightly tighter dispersion. But notably lower launch and spin.

The lighter shafts worked best with my smooth fairway finder swing (130ish ball speed).

The 6 has been inconsistent with the smooth 3/4 swings. But the harder I try to hit it the better it responds.

I should note that this is all relative since I have a smooth tempo at the best of times and these days my fastest ball speed barely nudges 140.

But to get the launch and shape I’m after I do feel like I have the give the 6 a clout. I haven’t decided whether this is good or bad. It is certainly fun swinging hard and seeing the ball go dead straight.

So if you had to pick one of them to play a big-money tournament tomorrow, which shaft would you have in there?

Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

4 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

If it were tomorrow, I'd probably go with the 5S.

I think there is more potential in the 6R, but it is taking some getting used to.

I struggled over the 6R vs. 5S (Blue) and decided that I didn't want a 65 gram driver shaft. So I went with the 5S and it's been unreal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a Ventus Blue 5S driver shaft in a Taylormade 300 Mini 11.5 degree driver today.  I have a Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S shaft in my Taylormade M3 440cc driver and really have come to love that shaft.  The 300 Mini with Ventus Blue 5S was really easy to swing and performance and shot dispersion was excellent.  I even put the Tour AD DI shaft in the 300 Mini and it was a bit harsh compared to the Ventus Blue 5S.  I just might be a convert now.  

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

6 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I tried a Ventus Blue 5S driver shaft in a Taylormade 300 Mini 11.5 degree driver today.  I have a Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S shaft in my Taylormade M3 440cc driver and really have come to love that shaft.  The 300 Mini with Ventus Blue 5S was really easy to swing and performance and shot dispersion was excellent.  I even put the Tour AD DI shaft in the 300 Mini and it was a bit harsh compared to the Ventus Blue 5S.  I just might be a convert now.  

Love the 5S. Set it and forget it. Never in playing years has the dispersion been so tight.

• Like 2

I have recently become a believer in Ventus velacore, as I put it up against 4 other shafts in my g425 hybrid, and I must say it is BY FAR the best feeling, most consistent, most predictable shaft I have ever used in any hybrid, and I'm a shaftoid lol, I have played many shafts.  I love it so much in my hybrid I want to pick one up for my 3 wood and driver to see what else Velacore Can do for me.

I'm Most interested in 3 wood shaft, since nothing so far has been able to kick my rogue 125msi driver shaft from the bag, including a couple of high end Oban shafts.

Edited by awolmartinez

• 3 weeks later...

Alas, my Ventus experiment is over.

I trialled a Red & Blue 5R, then a Blue 5S, then bought a Blue 6R.

Originally in a Mavrik 10.5, then an Epic Max LS 10.5, then in Sim2 Maxes (10.5 & 9).

I hit some great drives with it, but as a naturally low launch low spin player even with a strongly positive AoA there were just too many knuckle balls. I actually preferred the non-Velocore that came with the Sim2.

The Ventus put up better numbers than my Hzrdus Smoke & Tour AD VR indoor on monitors and on the range, but not on the course.

Fortunately I bought it here used for a good price so no financial penalty, but it just goes to show that different shafts suit different people, and that fitting sometimes doesn't work in the real world.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

I have to disagree with the blanket statements that all non-Velocore ventus shafts are garbage.  I just played 18 with a new to me Sim2 Max with a Ventus 5R.  My clubhead speed is around 94-99.  Unless I tried to kill it, that shaft worked very well for me.  I am a smooth swinger,  almost deliberate.   The ball seemed to really come off the face hot compared to my Cobra SZ Extreme with a fitted LAGolf Ulyss shaft.  The LA golf shaft is definitely more consistent, but for now the Sim2 Max has replaced the Cobra in the bag.  If the Velocore is that much better, I need to try it and if it's worth 350.  That would need to be a very long hitting shaft over the made for shaft.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

5 hours ago, AmazinBlue said:

I have to disagree with the blanket statements that all non-Velocore ventus shafts are garbage.  I just played 18 with a new to me Sim2 Max with a Ventus 5R.  My clubhead speed is around 94-99.  Unless I tried to kill it, that shaft worked very well for me.  I am a smooth swinger,  almost deliberate.   The ball seemed to really come off the face hot compared to my Cobra SZ Extreme with a fitted LAGolf Ulyss shaft.  The LA golf shaft is definitely more consistent, but for now the Sim2 Max has replaced the Cobra in the bag.  If the Velocore is that much better, I need to try it and if it's worth 350.  That would need to be a very long hitting shaft over the made for shaft.

What total distances are you getting with the Sim 2 max and Ventus 5R?

2 hours ago, rlb4 said:

What total distances are you getting with the Sim 2 max and Ventus 5R?

I had a couple yesterday of 270 or better.  What I found was that I was about 10-15 yards longer on average than with my Cobra SZ Extreme and I hit just as many fairways.  I don't swing out of my shoes, but I don't make a passive swing at it either.

• Like 2

2023 Vice Pro Lime

On 8/5/2021 at 8:31 PM, AmazinBlue said:

I don't recall anyone here calling the non-velocore version "garbage." What has been said repeatedly is the velocore versions have better dispersion. So if you are simply judging by distance, you are missing the major theme inf this thread.

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S

TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
Titleist Pro V1
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

15 hours ago, AndrewPlunkettPGA said:

As a fitter, I've tested the Ventus Red shaft with golfers of regular flex speed. The biggest gains I've seen is actually going to a softer and lighter shaft than they play (i.e, you play a 60g Reg, we'd try a 50g Senior). The Velocore spine helps the senior flex still feel firm like the regular, but the weight saved helps up the clubhead speed with SOME golfers. 

Most important part of what is said is "SOME golfers". Got to try it out for yourself!

Good info, kind of what I've done with my Ping by going with the Tensei orange AV 55r.  So far, so good going soft and light.

• Like 1

Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

• 3 weeks later...

Another update on the stock ventus Blue 5R I am playing in my Sim2 Max.  I played my league round the other night and hit 7 out of 7 fairways and I'm consistently 10 to 15 yards longer or more than the LA Golf shaft I was fitted into for my Cobra SZ Extreme in May.  Put the LAGolf shaft in the TM and it was definitely shorter hitting than the Ventus.

2023 Vice Pro Lime