Any "regular Joe's" finding much difference with Ventus shafts?

sm_watts

59 minutes ago, stoneydukes said:

I have switched from the 6S Velo Blue to a 6S Velo Red and although I didn't think it could get better than the Blue (for my swing), the Red is definitely better dispersion. 

Playing in an Epic Speed MAX LS head at 9 deg where I played the Blue turned down to 8

What is your swing speed? Is the red longer also or just better dispersion?

3 hours ago, rlb4 said:

What is your swing speed? Is the red longer also or just better dispersion?

I'm probably 95-103 depending on how hard I go after it. Tough to say on distance. I think it's at least as long, but because it's more accurate, I'm probably getting better overall distance from landing in more fairways.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 6:35 AM, stoneydukes said:

I'm usually just at or just over 100 mph driver SS. I've played and liked Tensei Pro White 60S, Kuro Kage XT60S, and currently play the Ventus Velocore Blue 6S. I think the Ventus is the best driver shaft I've ever played. I tried the non-velocore in a SiM head and did not have nearly the same results. I'm currently playing the Ventus in a Mavrik Std head at 9 deg turned down to 8 because I have about a 5 deg pos AOA on driver. Just bought a TSi3 driver and have been practicing with the Tensei Pro White in that head along with the Smoke RDX and getting pretty great results.

I do not think that performance of one shaft in one head means the same results on all heads. I'll be able to tell a bit more when I build the Ventus up to go in the TSi3.

Interested to see what your follow up results are with the Ventus blue in the TSi3. 

I'm high 90's SS, a +4-5 deg AoA, high-launch  have been playing the Tensei Raw White (stock) S and have had fantastic results with it. I do prefer the "tighter" feeling in a shaft and love the smooth profile of the Ventus Blue (long time Fujikura and Diamana Blue fan). Hit it in a Sim2 lastnight to get a feel for the shaft, it confirmed that I really like that predictable kick and feedback from the shaft. I just know where it is through the hitting zone. The Tensei White is performing really well, the difference is just that feel/kick around impact is a little lost. I think that difference in feel is the difference between the "made for" vs. the real versions of these shafts (ie non-velo vs. velocore), at least for me.

Anyways, I'm contemplating getting one and putting it into my TSi3 but can't find a place to demo it. 

Audi A-Fore

Titleist Tsi3 10* (C4), AD BBS-6 S

Titleist TS2 16.5* Tensei Blue S (C-2 @ 15.75*, w/ 13g weight)
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Callaway APEX Combo CF19 5-AW, KBS Tour S
Miura Forged Gap Wedge 53
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58 M Grind 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34", On the bench: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010)

14 hours ago, Audi A-Fore said:

Interested to see what your follow up results are with the Ventus blue in the TSi3. 

I'm high 90's SS, a +4-5 deg AoA, high-launch  have been playing the Tensei Raw White (stock) S and have had fantastic results with it. I do prefer the "tighter" feeling in a shaft and love the smooth profile of the Ventus Blue (long time Fujikura and Diamana Blue fan). Hit it in a Sim2 lastnight to get a feel for the shaft, it confirmed that I really like that predictable kick and feedback from the shaft. I just know where it is through the hitting zone. The Tensei White is performing really well, the difference is just that feel/kick around impact is a little lost. I think that difference in feel is the difference between the "made for" vs. the real versions of these shafts (ie non-velo vs. velocore), at least for me.

Anyways, I'm contemplating getting one and putting it into my TSi3 but can't find a place to demo it. 

The TSi3 was a pretty short experiment in Feb. Been playing the Ventus Red in Epic Speed MAX LS most of the summer and loving it

On 9/3/2021 at 6:25 AM, stoneydukes said:

The TSi3 was a pretty short experiment in Feb. Been playing the Ventus Red in Epic Speed MAX LS most of the summer and loving it

That works. I had extensive time with the Max LS, so even your review of the Red in that would be helpful. What are you liking about it? Comparison vs. Tsi3. I find the Max LS to be a slightly higher launch, comparable spin, but slightly more forgiving than the Tsi3. In terms of ballspeed, it's similar but the Tsi3 is slightly more (for me at least). I hit 10-11 FIR and don't have huge misses, so I'm usually looking to max out on speed/distance 

Audi A-Fore

Titleist Tsi3 10* (C4), AD BBS-6 S

Titleist TS2 16.5* Tensei Blue S (C-2 @ 15.75*, w/ 13g weight)
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Callaway APEX Combo CF19 5-AW, KBS Tour S
Miura Forged Gap Wedge 53
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58 M Grind 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34", On the bench: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010)

Installed the Ventus Velocore Blue 5-Reg in my Callaway Epic driver.  

No contest. Hands down the finest feeling, performing, etc shaft I've ever gamed.  

Driver SS of 90 mph consistently.  

I believe that getting the correct weight series in the Ventus is the key.  6 series was a tad to much for me.  5 was perfect.

Considering replacing my Hybrid Tour AD-DI with a 7 series Ventus Blue R as well.

3 hours ago, 801 said:

Installed the Ventus Velocore Blue 5-Reg in my Callaway Epic driver.  

No contest. Hands down the finest feeling, performing, etc shaft I've ever gamed.  

Driver SS of 90 mph consistently.  

I believe that getting the correct weight series in the Ventus is the key.  6 series was a tad to much for me.  5 was perfect.

Considering replacing my Hybrid Tour AD-DI with a 7 series Ventus Blue R as well.

Did you try the Blue in 5-stiff?  Or a 5-series Red?

Ping g425 Max 12/Tensei orange 55
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids/Tensei blue

Ping Eye 2+ BeCu 3-SW, Eye 2 BeCu SW

TP Mills Sycamore/Spalding TPM VIII/Bellum Winmore 787 Tie-Fighter/Mizuno-TP Mills Workshop III

I wanted to know what the hype was all about, so I bought a Ventus Blue 6S for my Radspeed XB. It just arrived, and I took it out on the course today for the first time. Driver SS is typically 95ish, though I haven’t checked that in a while.

First swing: A 278-yard drive (carry and roll), perfectly straight, the trajectory I want, right down the middle of the fairway.

Holy crap. I’d never driven the ball that far in my life. A really good drive for me had been 265 yards. The longest I’d ever measured was 272, and that was wind-assisted on a day the fairways were pretty dry.

OK, so one swing with this thing, and I’d already hit the longest drive of my life, and one that was perfectly straight. 

Next hole was a par 3. Third hole, wind had picked up a little, so I went with my go-to, into-the-wind driver swing: Low fade, aim down the right side of the fairway (I’m a lefty). It did exactly what I wanted and stopped at about 260-265.

Next hole, I put a bad swing on it. Should have sliced into the left rough. Nope! Wound up on the left middle of the fairway with room to spare, farther up than I’d ever been on that hole.

It went on from there. I love it.

Guess my point is, yeah, a Ventus can definitely be the right shaft for a slower/moderate swinger.

• Like 1

This was my initial experience almost exactly, @eric61.  Mine was a Red 5R in a SZ Xtreme. About as close to “automatic fairway finder” that I’ve ever used.  I hover around 93-98mph, smooth tempo

I have since acquired a 5S that I swap in and out, as well as a PXG Gen 4 that is waiting for a 5R to arrive on Monday.  Can’t wait to start dialing THAT monster in.  😎

• Like 1

Currently gaming the stock UST HELIUM 5 R 53g in my Sim Max D.  I've been debating trying to pick up a Ventus to try but I'm not sure if I should go 5R, 6R, or 5S.  Swing speed is between 93-98 most days. 

Does anyone think I'd see big differences between them?  Obviously best would be to try them all in a fitting but i'll most likely go the ebay route.

Edited by Royal690

4 minutes ago, Royal690 said:

Currently gaming the stock UST HELIUM 5 R 53g in my Sim Max D.  I've been debating trying to pick up a Ventus to try but I'm not sure if I should go 5R, 6R, or 5S.  Swing speed is between 93-98 most days. 

Does anyone think I'd see big differences between them?  Obviously best would be to try them all in a fitting but i'll most likely go the ebay route.

I want to caveat all this by saying I'm by no means an expert and don't really know what I'm talking about. But you sound similar to me in that we hover on that regular vs. stiff line in terms of swing speed. What I recall others saying about Ventus is its stability allows you to play down in flex if you want. At the same time, if you read my post a little higher, you'll see I haven't had any trouble with a stiff.

In terms of 5R/S vs. 6R, what I've always found is that weight affects my timing more than my speed. I prefer slightly heavier shafts for that reason; too light and I get out of whack. If your current 53g shaft works well for your timing, I'd think you'd be happiest with a 5R/S. And if you're playing a draw-biased driver, playing down in flex might help you turn it over a tiny bit? So, purely a guess, but if I were you I'd think 5R would be a great place to start, but I wouldn't shy away from a 5S either if you see one at a good price.

I'm trying a Red 6R in my 3 wood, because I got it for a great deal. Probably gonna end up switching to a 7S though, not because of flex but because of weight (and they don't make a 7R). 

I see a little shorter carry with the 5S, but very slightly lower flight/more roll…it’s basically a wash.  It’s my understanding the Red isn’t much higher than Blue but feels very different in handle.  I’ve never used a Ven Blue in driver but have tried an EvenFlow Blue, didn’t really get along well.

What happens in my case is, I subconsciously know it’s the S, so tend to swing harder, and then get blocky, and start missing right…or smother into a dead pull.

Then I switch back to the R, recapture my natural tempo, and it’s like butter again. 

I can game either, but the R seems to be a better weapon for me…as a “tweener” as well…it’s a different game from the fairway! 

Edited by 968cab

26 minutes ago, eric61 said:

I want to caveat all this by saying I'm by no means an expert and don't really know what I'm talking about. But you sound similar to me in that we hover on that regular vs. stiff line in terms of swing speed. What I recall others saying about Ventus is its stability allows you to play down in flex if you want. At the same time, if you read my post a little higher, you'll see I haven't had any trouble with a stiff.

In terms of 5R/S vs. 6R, what I've always found is that weight affects my timing more than my speed. I prefer slightly heavier shafts for that reason; too light and I get out of whack. If your current 53g shaft works well for your timing, I'd think you'd be happiest with a 5R/S. And if you're playing a draw-biased driver, playing down in flex might help you turn it over a tiny bit? So, purely a guess, but if I were you I'd think 5R would be a great place to start, but I wouldn't shy away from a 5S either if you see one at a good price.

I'm trying a Red 6R in my 3 wood, because I got it for a great deal. Probably gonna end up switching to a 7S though, not because of flex but because of weight (and they don't make a 7R). 

Hmmm yea that's exactly where I am, this season I actually switched all my shafts to regular from stiff because I just felt like stiff was really working against me in terms of squaring the clubface.  I was having to swing out of my shoes and IF I made solid contact it worked but if not... big slice. 

I'm looking for something with lower launch/spin so I'm between the blue and red and I think a 5R would fit well based on the feedback I've read here, just will have to see what deals I can find on the Bay.  I'm also a lefty, issues with a RH adapter?

4 minutes ago, Royal690 said:

Hmmm yea that's exactly where I am, this season I actually switched all my shafts to regular from stiff because I just felt like stiff was really working against me in terms of squaring the clubface.  I was having to swing out of my shoes and IF I made solid contact it worked but if not... big slice. 

I'm looking for something with lower launch/spin so I'm between the blue and red and I think a 5R would fit well based on the feedback I've read here, just will have to see what deals I can find on the Bay.  I'm also a lefty, issues with a RH adapter?

Yeah the Red launches higher for sure. No problems with RH adapter, just depending on brand you have to inverse the settings, so for example minus-one is actually plus-one. But "standard" is "standard" on pretty much all brands, I think.

I have been playing Ventus red in my fairways and black in driver. Swing with driver is about 100. I had really good results, am testing the AD HD now in driver and 3 wood, but haven’t quit on Ventus yet. Driving was just so bad I had to change something. The honeymoon with Ventus was unreal, I play stiff in all my models and I think the quality can definitely help an average swinger. 

• 3 weeks later...

For me not really. Driver SS sits around 95mph and gets around 100 on a really good day. Tried the Taylormade made for Ventus Blue and Velocore versions in my M6. Tried them vs the stock Atmos Black made for shaft that came with the driver.   Other then the Velocore having slightly better feel, I didn’t notice any distance or dispersion differences to speak of between the

made for and Velocore versions. I ended up keeping the Black as it was better all around. I tried all these out on 3 different occasions.  Wanted to like the Velocore but for me not a fit. Happy to save some money though. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll get to find out soon. Just picked up a 6s Ventus blue and 8s hyb for my super hybrid. 

0CC44B78-DFB1-4755-80BA-BABAB1EFA037.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Hzrdus RDX Blue 70g 6.0 

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: Ping S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Putter: TAII #2  

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

Here's my experience over the past 2+ years with a Ventus Blue Velocore 5S. It has certainly made a contribution to my drives. 

Got a driver fitting in early 2019 at Club Champion. I had been using a TaylorMade R15 with the stock Speeder R-flex shaft for ~3-4 years.

Fit into an Epic Flash SZ with the Ventus Blue Velocore 5S, so it isn't a perfect apples-to-apples comparison.

Looking through my trackman data from the past couple of years, my swing speed has consistently been in the 91-93 mph range & AOA +3.

Here's my on-course data: 

image.png.024ff71a9c7893f986e6ebc70bbe792e.png

It's difficult for me to discern the specific contributions of shaft versus head, although the combination has certainly had a measurable on-course impact. 

From a feel perspective, I can really swing freely without worrying too much about the shaft. It feels light, yet I can perceive where it is in my swing. I can definitely tell when I miss hit a shot (especially, high toe hits) although those still seem to go mostly straight. It is bulge/roll/AI Flash Face or Velocore MOI effect? The answer is probably yes.

Interestingly, I would have thought for sure that the Epic/Ventus combo would have been lighter than the R15/Speeder. It sure "feels" and "swings" lighter. The Epic/Ventus is 11 gm heavier, perhaps due to slightly longer length and Arccos grip? I don't have the swingweights for the clubs, so that might explain the difference, too. 

I'd say that the Ventus helps me more effectively deliver (AOA, swing path, face angle, etc) a driver head (Epic FSZ) that is also probably more effective (COR, MOI, spin), the combination of which has led to longer drives and a tighter dispersion (> %fairways hit at a longer distance).

And, as an eternal optimist, I still think I can get more out of the combination!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5 Ventus Blue 5S 

Mizuno ST190 TS @14 Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno CLK [email protected] KBS Prototype 65R

Mizuno CLK [email protected] KBS Prototype 75R

Callaway Apex Forged CF-19 5-24, 6-27, 7-31, 8-35, 9-40, P-45, A-50 KBS TGI 90

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 Black Smoke Wedge 56/12-C @55, 60/10-RJ KBS TGI 90

TaylorMade Spider Tour Red

Mizuno RB Tour X

So, for those that have had the made for Ventus Blue and went to the Velocore version, what better numbers did you see?  Longer distance, better dispersion, both?  Trajectory changes?

Taymormade Sim2 Max 9.75 Ventus Blue 5R 45.75"
Taylormade SimMax 2 3W Tensei Raw Blue 65 R 43.25"
Cobra F9 5/6 CB Riptide 65 R 42.50"
Callaway Hybrid  Apex19 20* Riptide CB 5.5 40.5"
Taylormade (2020) P770 5-AW Project X LZ 5.0
Vokey S7 54 Dynamic Gold 120 S
Callaway PM Grind 58* Dynamic Gold 120 S
PING Kushin 4 37"
Bridgestone E12 Contact

6 hours ago, Alvin54 said:

Here's my experience over the past 2+ years with a Ventus Blue Velocore 5S. It has certainly made a contribution to my drives. 

Got a driver fitting in early 2019 at Club Champion. I had been using a TaylorMade R15 with the stock Speeder R-flex shaft for ~3-4 years.

Fit into an Epic Flash SZ with the Ventus Blue Velocore 5S, so it isn't a perfect apples-to-apples comparison.

Looking through my trackman data from the past couple of years, my swing speed has consistently been in the 91-93 mph range & AOA +3.

Here's my on-course data: 

image.png.024ff71a9c7893f986e6ebc70bbe792e.png

It's difficult for me to discern the specific contributions of shaft versus head, although the combination has certainly had a measurable on-course impact. 

From a feel perspective, I can really swing freely without worrying too much about the shaft. It feels light, yet I can perceive where it is in my swing. I can definitely tell when I miss hit a shot (especially, high toe hits) although those still seem to go mostly straight. It is bulge/roll/AI Flash Face or Velocore MOI effect? The answer is probably yes.

Interestingly, I would have thought for sure that the Epic/Ventus combo would have been lighter than the R15/Speeder. It sure "feels" and "swings" lighter. The Epic/Ventus is 11 gm heavier, perhaps due to slightly longer length and Arccos grip? I don't have the swingweights for the clubs, so that might explain the difference, too. 

I'd say that the Ventus helps me more effectively deliver (AOA, swing path, face angle, etc) a driver head (Epic FSZ) that is also probably more effective (COR, MOI, spin), the combination of which has led to longer drives and a tighter dispersion (> %fairways hit at a longer distance).

And, as an eternal optimist, I still think I can get more out of the combination!

I had an EF SZ. Traded some things for a max ls. So much more forgiving across the face. Ventus 6s for me I need some work with. Idk if it was going down in weight from my 75g rdx blue or what. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Hzrdus RDX Blue 70g 6.0 

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: Ping S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Putter: TAII #2  

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

On 10/23/2021 at 6:06 PM, AmazinBlue said:

So, for those that have had the made for Ventus Blue and went to the Velocore version, what better numbers did you see?  Longer distance, better dispersion, both?  Trajectory changes?

For me, I saw better dispersion immediately and found better distance over time through trial and error with lead tape on the sole. It's amazing how less than two inches of it has improved the consistency in my driving.

Taylormade SIM2 8° - Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6-R

TaylorMade M5 15° - Project X HZRDUS Red 75 6.0
Callaway Big Bertha OS 19° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Sub 70 Sycamore 002 Mid-Mallet 35"
Titleist Pro V1x
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I may have to give the Velocore a try in a fitting session.

Taymormade Sim2 Max 9.75 Ventus Blue 5R 45.75"
Taylormade SimMax 2 3W Tensei Raw Blue 65 R 43.25"
Cobra F9 5/6 CB Riptide 65 R 42.50"
Callaway Hybrid  Apex19 20* Riptide CB 5.5 40.5"
Taylormade (2020) P770 5-AW Project X LZ 5.0
Vokey S7 54 Dynamic Gold 120 S
Callaway PM Grind 58* Dynamic Gold 120 S
PING Kushin 4 37"
Bridgestone E12 Contact