Callaway X Forged 2018 vs X Forged 2009

Hey guys,

I came across a set of Callaway X Forged 2009 irons on eBay earlier on, and I noticed it has the conforming V grooves. These should conform to the post 2010 groove rules, if I'm not mistaken?

It got me thinking, how good are the X Forged 2009 irons? 

What are some of your comments and feedback on these irons? Feel, forgiveness, workability and playability etc?

Also, how does the X Forged 2009 model compare to the 2018 X Forged model? Just from pictures, I like the straighter lines and touch less offset in the X Forged 2009 model. 

If you have to choose between 2009 and 2018 X Forged, which would you go for, and why?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Ping G410 Plus driver 10.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.2 stiff
Ping G410 fairway wood 14.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 8.2 stiff
Mizuno MP-64 irons - 3 & 4 iron - Project X LZ 5.5
Mizuno MP-4 irons - 5-PW - Project X LZ 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 wedges 50*, 54* & 60* - Dynamic Gold wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 putter 35"

WITB Link

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was looking thru the  Maltby Playability Factors numbers regarding Callaway irons, having had numerous of the forged sets I was intrigued by the 09's numbers. The centre of gravity is lower  and fur

The 2018s are far superior.  It's not even close.  While the 2009 "raiders" iron looks cool, it was to many a step backwards from the 2007.  Thinner sole, less offset, and a smaller sweet spot made th

Years ago, I tried to 2009 XForged when I was swapping out irons for the first time in a decade. These had Project X shafts, and every other shot was a line drive about 5 feet high. You needed some so

Posted Images

10 hours ago, jonyim94 said:

Hey guys,

I came across a set of Callaway X Forged 2009 irons on eBay earlier on, and I noticed it has the conforming V grooves. These should conform to the post 2010 groove rules, if I'm not mistaken?

It got me thinking, how good are the X Forged 2009 irons? 

What are some of your comments and feedback on these irons? Feel, forgiveness, workability and playability etc?

Also, how does the X Forged 2009 model compare to the 2018 X Forged model? Just from pictures, I like the straighter lines and touch less offset in the X Forged 2009 model. 

If you have to choose between 2009 and 2018 X Forged, which would you go for, and why?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I liked the 07 better but the 09 were great too. I read somewhere these were endo forged, and the newer xforged are not. 

The 2018s are far superior.  It's not even close.  While the 2009 "raiders" iron looks cool, it was to many a step backwards from the 2007.  Thinner sole, less offset, and a smaller sweet spot made the 2009 pretty much a blade; very unforgiving for a cavity back.

The 2013 are the best of the lines, with the 2018 very close to the same characteristics.  With 2018 you after getting a player's iron with a little more forgiveness than the 2009.  It has better grooves and better trajectory.

But you did mention you liked the straighter lines and touch less offset, so I think you answered your own question.

• Like 2

None of the above. 2013. 

default_callaway-small.jpg.0667322081ba61f1e13fcf849463e542.jpg

Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (10°)- Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (16°)- Hzrdus Smoke
Apex 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'18 Apex MB (8-PW) and '19 Apex Pro (5-7i) Nippon Pro Modus 105 s
MD3 Black 50°, 54° (S Grind), 58° (PM Grind)
Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta or Stroke Lab Las Vegas
Ball: Bridgestone Tour BX
*Sometimes play strong 3w, 5 wood and 52/58 wedge setup

Years ago, I tried to 2009 XForged when I was swapping out irons for the first time in a decade. These had Project X shafts, and every other shot was a line drive about 5 feet high. You needed some solid clubhead speed to launch XForged consistently.

In 2013 Callaway started the XHot line. You could get the 2013 XForged in the lighter PX.95 shafts, and was actually able to get some decent shots with the clubs. I found, however, that the XHot and XHot Pros got met 15 yards longer with the same PX.95 shafts.

Ended up keeping my X20 Tours and reshafting them the next year with lighter NS Pro 8950.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I'm used to using Project X shafts in 5.5 flex, and those actually fit me perfectly. I am using the LZ version now, so shafts wouldn't be an issue.

From what I'm gathering, 2018 X Forged is the more forgiving and playable model? I'm just a little worried if it might launch a bit too high, since I was seeing some reviews on YouTube saying they launch up quite high, for a players iron. I personally want something I can flight the ball a bit lower, especially playing in windy conditions. Clubhead speed isn't a major issue. I average 103-105mph on driver, and can go up to 107 or 108mph if I really step on it.

I play Mizuno MP-4 blades, and have used Callaway RAZR X MB irons, which I sometimes still play with, as my backup set. I like to shape shots with the irons, and normally pretty comfortable hitting my MP-4 blades. Is the 2009 X Forged that close to a true blade, in terms of playability and forgiveness? Not sure how brutal the '09 X Forged actually is.

I'm wondering how the '09 X Forged compares to say the X Prototype blade or RAZR X MB.

Ping G410 Plus driver 10.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.2 stiff
Ping G410 fairway wood 14.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 8.2 stiff
Mizuno MP-64 irons - 3 & 4 iron - Project X LZ 5.5
Mizuno MP-4 irons - 5-PW - Project X LZ 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 wedges 50*, 54* & 60* - Dynamic Gold wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 putter 35"

WITB Link

I was looking thru the  Maltby Playability Factors numbers regarding Callaway irons, having had numerous of the forged sets I was intrigued by the 09's numbers. The centre of gravity is lower  and further out towards the toe than most of the Callaway forged CBs. With my miss being toe side of centre I thought these would be perfect for me. So I found a decent set that had some PX 6.0's and put them in play this spring. I was extremely pleased with these, a soft forged CB with fairly low offset, ample bounce works for me as well. I have had the 13's and 11's and prototypes and the 18 heads, sold off the 11 & 13's previously and the protos and 18 heads this summer.  Kept my Stenson Legacy Blacks and I have a hard time deciding which set is softer, the Stenson's were at the top of the list previously. Played very late this fall with the 09's was very surprised how nice they felt even in the cold weather, don't try that with the Mizuno MP 60's. I'm thinking the 09 irons are one of the best irons I have ever hit and they are dirt cheap. 

Best of luck in. your search. 

• Like 3

When I tested the ‘18 x forged I thought they were a phenomenal iron!  Feel is soft, easy to hit and the sole design just worked for my delivery.  Great spin numbers and not short.  The lofts are a little on the strong side, so you have room to bend weak if you want to take some of the offset out.  The 9 & pw kind of have a funky look to them with the offset.

I never hit the ‘09 model.  The ‘13 release seems to be the gold standard for x forged.  However, the ‘18 were brilliant.

Titleist  TSi3 9* Oban Hashimoto LTD 65 04

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Wilson Staff   CB 5-pw  Nippon Modus 125 stiff

National Custom Works   50, 53, 58  DG TI s400 Black Onyx

Cushman Custom   C&C 1.0 Welded Hex Flow Neck  KBS CT Tour Matte Black, Lamkin Deep Etch Full Cord

Bridgestone Tour B XS

I have owned the 13's, enjoed them, still have the 18's for Florida. These are as solid as the 13's, but better.  Everything I look for in an iron set, feel and performance, checks all the boxes 

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

09's were decent irons, but the 07, 13 and 18's are much better. The 07 is the holy grail though, crazy good irons! The 18's are nice too, had them in the bag for a while, really cant go wrong. If you're looking for cheaper I'd look at the 07's. Although for the 7's, those grooves are probably illegal I believe. Between 09 and 18, I'd go 18s all day long. Much more forgiving, easier to launch, and don't look like they are from the 90's. The 09's were really unforgiving, practically an ugly blade.

Edited by CallawayOffCenter
added additional info

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0* (Tensei AV Blue) 

Callaway Mavrik 15* (Evenflow Riptide)

Callaway XForged UT 18* (AD DI)

Mizuno JPX 900 18* (Fujikura Speeder Evo II)

Titleist 818H2 22* (Evenflow)

Srixon ZX7 5-PW (Project X LZ)

Cleveland Zip Core Tour Rack 50,54,58 (DG Tour Issue Spinner)

Mizuno M Craft IV Blue Ion

Srixon ZStar XV

Grab bag: Kirkland KS1, Ping G5i Ally, Oworks #7, White Hot 2ball

I switched from 2013 x-forged to the 2018 x-forged this season. Very similar in many aspects but overall I feel the 2018 is the superior club. Feel and flight are the best I have come across in a while. I demoed apex pro 19, apex forged, and P790 and none  matched the 2018 feel. Modus3 120 shafts were a nice upgrade from

pxi 6.0 IMO. 

XR16 pro Kiyoshi White 60S
XR16 pro 16 Speeder 765s
Cleveland Launcher 21 Rifle 6.0
<br />2013 X Forged PXi 6.0 4-pw<br />MD chrome 50, MD Chrome 54, MD2 Slate 58<br />Versa BWB #1 W 34"

Hit the 2018 X Forged at a range yesterday. Belong to a pretty good player. These are really nice feeling irons and they have a great flight. I know they got sort of lost in the shuffle when the 2019 Apex Pro was released, but I like the XForged more. I always find the Apex Pro to be firmer. 

On 12/22/2020 at 11:06 PM, jonyim94 said:

I play Mizuno MP-4 blades, and have used Callaway RAZR X MB irons, which I sometimes still play with, as my backup set. I like to shape shots with the irons, and normally pretty comfortable hitting my MP-4 blades. Is the 2009 X Forged that close to a true blade, in terms of playability and forgiveness? Not sure how brutal the '09 X Forged actually is.

I'm wondering how the '09 X Forged compares to say the X Prototype blade or RAZR X MB.

I played a combo set of the 09 x-forged and the x-protos for many years and loved them. I did think I got a little forgiveness boost with the x-forged in 4-6 irons versus blades. 

I just loved how they looked over the ball. Great clubs. Still have them in a closet somewhere, always toyed with the idea of sending them out to get refinished and using as a sunday set. 

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
Artisan 0217, Customer #62

On 12/22/2020 at 11:06 PM, jonyim94 said:

I'm used to using Project X shafts in 5.5 flex, and those actually fit me perfectly. I am using the LZ version now, so shafts wouldn't be an issue.

From what I'm gathering, 2018 X Forged is the more forgiving and playable model? I'm just a little worried if it might launch a bit too high, since I was seeing some reviews on YouTube saying they launch up quite high, for a players iron. I personally want something I can flight the ball a bit lower, especially playing in windy conditions. Clubhead speed isn't a major issue. I average 103-105mph on driver, and can go up to 107 or 108mph if I really step on it.

I'm not expert on much, but I would  have a hard time thinking of the 09's  being  blades. Far from it, not sure how anyone could, when i had read another posters comments regarding that, I thought did They make another set of X forged in 09 that looked like blades? NOPE. 

I had a set of proto's and the Razr mb's, they were both smaller in size vs the 09's. 

2009 XF  1.335 C dimension .770 CG  13.04 MOI. MPF 621

2010 Proto  1.195 C  .786 CG  11.15 MOI  MPF 461

2012 Razr MB  1.205 C  .759 CG  11.19 MOI. MPF 498

For my swing the 09's were easier to hit. 

I can remember taking out a bag full of 7  irons this year and having a little test, the 09 7 blew everything out of the water for me. After that I took the entire set out and was pleasantly surprised how well even the 4 iron played. 

I would combo these with numerous brands and types of irons, one of the best was 4-7 09's, Stenson 8 iron, 9 & pw Blueprint. 

The 09's are not the newest set on the block but  they quite surprised me with some of the best shots I hit in 2020. 

I remember playing with a fellow who had a set of 1984 Sam Snead Blue Ridge irons, he bought them new in 1985, he played them a lot, I had never seen a more worn set of irons in my life, not sure there were any grooves left in the centred worn spot. This guy quite surprised me with his play, he had no intentions of switching out irons. Kinda made me realize playing irons a few years old isn't the end of the world. 

• Like 2