GSS marketing or legit?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This subject pops up, from time to time and is always a good read.   Most of us are golfers, putter junkies and weekend PGA hopefuls.  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! Very few of the comments m

GSS is just 303 Stainless sourced from Germany. There is nothing special about it, Scotty hasn't found a super secret supplier of metal that no one else has.    The reason it often costs so

Scotty GSS 303 : Analysis document at the end attached: GSS has more silicon, more copper, more cobalt, more molybdenum, less chromium. Less manganese. It is likely softer. the differences are me

Posted Images

100% marketing and flash terming. I own two gss putters and they feel no different from others I have.  Anyone that says there’s a feel difference is nuts, the only feel difference is in their wallet not their hands. 

My GSS DH89 doesn’t feel near as nice as my SS DH89.   The stainless Byron is the most solid feeling putter I’ve ever struck in my life and has been permanently in the bag for a year and a half now.  

Edited by Phabs

Taylormade M3 9*  Fuji Velocore 6x 

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

1 minute ago, High Draws Low Fades said:

Thanks for the responses. So I’ve also seen custom putter makers have options for German stainless usually with an up charge. Do they actually get this from Germany?

My Kingston is a GSS in my profile pic.  I almost questioned it when I ordered the putter but in reality who cares? 

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 9*  Fuji Velocore 6x 

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

I'd disregard every post claiming 100% certainty in either direction.  Unless you know exactly what steel GSS is, and the specific process it undergoes, and the QC processes involved, there's no way you can say with certainty. 

1 hour ago, hypergolf said:

All marketing. In fact if you want better feeling steel, Japanese steel are known to be softer. You can find all this out if you google German kitchen knife vs Japanese kitchen knife. Same materials... Just that they jack up the price when it comes to golf through marketing.

This is incorrect.  Japanese knives are typically significantly harder than German knives (and designed significantly differently).  This is why they can be sharpened to extreme angles but are prone to chipping and rust.

Some steel notes from various knife sites:

"In metallurgy stainless steel, also known as inox steel is defined as a steel alloy with a minimum of 10.5 or 11% chromium content by mass.  Most range around 13%."

http://www.aljacobskitchen.com/tools-of-the-trade/the-alchemy-of-steel.html

"Steel is a metal created from iron and carbon. Steel knives made with a higher carbon content tend to be much harder. Traditionally, Japanese made steel Knives have a higher carbon content than the German made Steel knives. This allows Japanese made steel knives to be thinner and have sharper edges. However, with a lower carbon content, German made steel knives are softer, making them more durable as well as allowing them to hold a sharp edge longer without sharpening. Basically, German made steel knives are made to be the workhorse of the kitchen. They are used in commercial kitchens where they cut through bone, hard vegetables and ice."

https://kyotoknives.com/blogs/from-our-blog/which-is-better-japanese-or-german-steel

• Like 1

Mavrik 3D Autoflex X / Ventus Black 6x

PXG G3 T 5-G

Epic 3/5/4h - GD AD-DI

WW 55D / 60T

T22 FB

1 hour ago, MysteryV said:

I'd disregard every post claiming 100% certainty in either direction.  Unless you know exactly what steel GSS is, and the specific process it undergoes, and the QC processes involved, there's no way you can say with certainty. 

This is incorrect.  Japanese knives are typically significantly harder than German knives (and designed significantly differently).  This is why they can be sharpened to extreme angles but are prone to chipping and rust.

Some steel notes from various knife sites:

"In metallurgy stainless steel, also known as inox steel is defined as a steel alloy with a minimum of 10.5 or 11% chromium content by mass.  Most range around 13%."

http://www.aljacobskitchen.com/tools-of-the-trade/the-alchemy-of-steel.html

"Steel is a metal created from iron and carbon. Steel knives made with a higher carbon content tend to be much harder. Traditionally, Japanese made steel Knives have a higher carbon content than the German made Steel knives. This allows Japanese made steel knives to be thinner and have sharper edges. However, with a lower carbon content, German made steel knives are softer, making them more durable as well as allowing them to hold a sharp edge longer without sharpening. Basically, German made steel knives are made to be the workhorse of the kitchen. They are used in commercial kitchens where they cut through bone, hard vegetables and ice."

https://kyotoknives.com/blogs/from-our-blog/which-is-better-japanese-or-german-steel

LOL. Yes, that is what I meant. Had it the other way round. This thread is now officially a kitchen knife forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Phabs said:

You really believe you can feel the difference between 10% and 12% compounds through a rubber grip at the end of a 34 inch shaft?  Hiiiiighly doubt it.  

It’s a marketing term used to jack the price up of a “unobtanium” material putter so guys have a conversation piece with other golf nerds, nothing more - nothing less.   Byrons stated multiple times when asked what the difference is.... “one comes from Germany” was his answer to me.  

There’s a reason Tigers putter was made from GSS... Scottys made millions because of that marketing decision.   Tour rats, circle t’s and super rats make that guy tons of cash due to the GSS hype.  

Can you tell the difference between a Ping forged blade, a Miura forged blade, and an Endo forged blade through a stainless steel shaft and a rubber grip?

Can you feel a bubble in the tape under your grip?

Can you tell if you've hit a shot 0.5 mm low, heel, or toe?

Can you tell the difference between 0.5 swingweight points, or a 3g out of spec shaft?

I don't disagree that it's used for marketing, however just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean others can't, nor does it mean it doesn't exist.

• Like 3

PXG G3 T 5-G

Epic 3/5/4h - GD AD-DI

WW 55D / 60T

T22 FB

There was this test as well, it is old but shows GSS is nothing special. 

http://blog.tourspecgolf.com/gss-german-sus303-vs-j-i-s-sus303/

I would love to redo this test with a bunch of current putter makers and see how their "run of the mill" 303SS stacks up against GSS. 

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

I own multiple GSS putters with the EXACT same shape from MR.Cameron. I cannot notice a difference and I putt all day long.

You will notice a greater difference from milling than from the GSS vs SS. IMO DASS is softer than either with Carbon being even more so. 

I would not say marketing hype or something else. GSS is just a way to say the Steel Ingots or Block has not been previously milled. it is just virgin metal. it would likely ensure higher tolerances, not world beating...

The term GSS used to come from wealthy people distinguishing higher end Virgin material used for things like cutlery.

I would imagine the GSS vs SSS like 

dynamic gold shafts

tour issue dynamic gold shafts

the regular has tolerances of 5.5 gram

the tour version has tolerances of 2 grams. But in reality they are the same shaft

Worth the extra 40 bucks? maybe to some.

is the GSS worth the extra bucks? probably not. Will it make you putt more balls in the hole? I dont think we can reasonably quantify the argument, but I would imagine not. Even cast vs milled has been beaten to death over and over because there is no performance difference 

Edited by SnowmanShanks
  • Like 3
Spoiler

hit the BX-S from the wrong side... 

TM SIM 9 KuroKage XT-60TX Tip 1"

TM SIM 3w Fujikura Pro2.0 T-Spec 70X Tip .5"

T.ist 918 19HY Evnflw Black 85 6.5 Tip .5"

TM P790 3 (shaft testing) rotating

Mz 921 Tour SEL 4-Pw DGX100TI 130g

Vky sm8 RAW DGS400TI 130g: 50.08F - 54.10S @55 - WW 60.06K lb - full lmkn Plyrs cords

Piretti C.WOOD II Trisole 365gm Sandblasted white line OZIK LA 135 Lamkin Cord 33.85"

SC NP T.Rat Black Naked 365gm SC pstlero 33.85" rotating + way too many more putters

4 hours ago, Nard_S said:

From the machining perspective, it is not hype, it is top shelf. Does not men you'll have a better feeling, looking, working putter. But from a quality perspective, the product is better because it was easier to machine and the grain was more consistent. 

I think the logic and realness of this was lost in the shouting of who can feel what. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST / Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100-S 4-W / True Temper DG X7

Vokey SM8 54-12 D Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Vokey SM8 WW 58-6 LB K Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance / KBS CT Tour

PXG One and Done

7 hours ago, Nard_S said:

From the machining perspective, it is not hype, it is top shelf. Does not men you'll have a better feeling, looking, working putter. But from a quality perspective, the product is better because it was easier to machine and the grain was more consistent. 

What is top shelf?  And compared to what?

In the UK we typically only get 303 in round bar form or limited square/rectangular bar.

303 is 303 though, the cost difference depends on where you source it from, not the actual make up of the material.

I use 304 to make putters, a smidgen less sulphur is the difference which supposedly makes it less free machining, when in reality machinability is largely determined by the quality and geometry of the tooling/toolpaths used to machine it.

Ta, Mike

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MPix53 said:

In the UK we typically only get 303 in round bar form or limited square/rectangular bar.

303 is 303 though, the cost difference depends on where you source it from, not the actual make up of the material.

I use 304 to make putters, a smidgen less sulphur is the difference which supposedly makes it less free machining, when in reality machinability is largely determined by the quality and geometry of the tooling/toolpaths used to machine it.

Ta, Mike

Any difference in feel between 303 and 304?

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65

Titleist 915fd 15* Smoke 70S

Titleist 816 H2 19* Diamana 100X

Titleist 716 T-MB 4 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist 690 MB 5-PW PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 52 & 56 PX 6.5, 61* S400

Piretti GOAT

27 minutes ago, luke1333 said:

Any difference in feel between 303 and 304?

I haven't 2 heads the same to compare - though I doubt I would notice any difference.

Maybe what it needs is a number of identical shaped/milled heads from different materials, then testing acoustically (sound=feel etc.) to see if there was any difference. Would need a robot to test to ensure repeatability.

Feel is so subjective as we know, you can make any material feel soft or hard in a putter depending on the milling and the headshape.

10 hours ago, MattM97 said:

There was this test as well, it is old but shows GSS is nothing special. 

http://blog.tourspecgolf.com/gss-german-sus303-vs-j-i-s-sus303/

I would love to redo this test with a bunch of current putter makers and see how their "run of the mill" 303SS stacks up against GSS. 

I would love to hear the back story on this statement from the article you shared: “The main and most important minerals to take note of here are Nickel and Chromium. These in higher amounts produce the rewarding feel people hold dear in SUS303 putters.” The article nonchalantly acts like everyone should know that higher nickel and chromium content are the bees knees. 

Just now, jonradus said:

I would love to hear the back story on this statement from the article you shared: “The main and most important minerals to take note of here are Nickel and Chromium. These in higher amounts produce the rewarding feel people hold dear in SUS303 putters.” The article nonchalantly acts like everyone should know that higher nickel and chromium content are the bees knees. 

Someone that works with and understands metals better than me could probably clarify and explain better. But Nickle and Chromium are the two that make 300 series steel 300 series steel so 303, 304, 304L, 316, 316L and I think there are 2 or 3 others. The percentage of nickel and chromium determine which grade the metal is and the Chromium is what makes it more or less corrosion resistant and also changes the properties for workability as well. 

Lefty WITB

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

7 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

What is top shelf?  And compared to what?

My understanding on the "GSS" is that they double anneal it and that may also be part of it's appeal. Alloy quality is not just judged by a C of C. It's judged by it's ease to facilitate automated production with as little a hiccup as possible. On that level many European mills (excluding the Italian's here) rank top tier. They are real good with the ingots and the percentages used making them.

303 comes mostly round,  is used in automatic turning & cutting. 304 is common in sheet or blocks. There is a slight difference beyond shape. 304 is more pliable, more for forming & extruding (spoons, forks as example), which  oddly makes cutting it more of a pain. Gummy is not good when it comes to drill, mill cut & turn.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, MattM97 said:

GSS is just 303 Stainless sourced from Germany. There is nothing special about it, Scotty hasn't found a super secret supplier of metal that no one else has. 

The reason it often costs so much more is because they have to ship it from Germany vs locally. 

Actually German Stainless Steel is a specific formula. It doesn't have to be made in Germany. See discussions of Japanese knives v. German knives. In these you will see the efforts to combine the best of both, high carbon stainless steel. Maybe the next big thing in golf with a fancy price tag.

Fun stuff but not as much fun as telling people their craft whisky came from a factory in Indiana.

• Haha 1

Driver Titleist 913 10.5 Diamana Whiteboard 63 stiff

4 Wood Titleist 913 16..25 Diamana Whiteboard 73 stiff

7 Wood Titleist 913 21 Diamana Whiteboard 83 stiff

Irons 4-PW Titleist 716 T-MB KBS C-Taper Lite stiff

Gap wedge Titleist SM6 50 Dynamic Gold 115

Sand wedge Titleist Vokey TVD 54 K grind Dynamic Gold 115

Lob wedge Titleist Vokey TVD 58 K grind Dynamic Gold 115

Putter Scotty Cameron Red X3

1 hour ago, shart6 said:

Actually German Stainless Steel is a specific formula. It doesn't have to be made in Germany. See discussions of Japanese knives v. German knives. In these you will see the efforts to combine the best of both, high carbon stainless steel. Maybe the next big thing in golf with a fancy price tag.

Fun stuff but not as much fun as telling people their craft whisky came from a factory in Indiana.

Lol right?  "You're paying 50x as much for the same whiskey just because Julian Van Winkle decided he liked a specific location in the warehouse"

PXG G3 T 5-G

Epic 3/5/4h - GD AD-DI

WW 55D / 60T

T22 FB

1 minute ago, MysteryV said:

Lol right?  "You're paying 50x as much for the same whiskey just because Julian Van Winkle decided he liked a specific location in the warehouse"

Midwestern Gain Products has some very good people and a variety of blends. Just like a lots of things you are paying for the story. In 2014 people weren't laughing they were pissed. 

8 minutes ago, shart6 said:

Midwestern Gain Products has some very good people and a variety of blends. Just like a lots of things you are paying for the story. In 2014 people weren't laughing they were pissed. 

In 2014 you were still getting actual pappy in some cases rather than Buffalo Trace.

PXG G3 T 5-G

Epic 3/5/4h - GD AD-DI

WW 55D / 60T

T22 FB

1 hour ago, shart6 said:

If it had a very specific formula then it would be graded something other than 303.

At the end of the day it all comes down to how that piece of metal is milled and finished. If you build a putter with characteristics where it will have a lot of feedback it will have a lot of feedback and the same if it doesn't. There is nothing that will magically change that unless you use a softer metal like brass or copper. 

Lefty WITB

$10K for a "GSS" putter lol

Ping G410 Plus 10.5° - Speeder EVO V 6S

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Srixon Z 785 3-6 - PX LZ 6.0

Srixon Z-Forged 7-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX 4 50° Mid, 54° Mid, 60° Low - S400 TI

Gamer Putters Arizonian Players Blade - 335g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

20 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

If it had a very specific formula then it would be graded something other than 303.

At the end of the day it all comes down to how that piece of metal is milled and finished. If you build a putter with characteristics where it will have a lot of feedback it will have a lot of feedback and the same if it doesn't. There is nothing that will magically change that unless you use a softer metal like brass or copper. 

Chromium and nickel specs on 303 Stainless are percentage ranges, as is sulfur

5 hours ago, Nard_S said:

My understanding on the "GSS" is that they double anneal it and that may also be part of it's appeal. Alloy quality is not just judged by a C of C. It's judged by it's ease to facilitate automated production with as little a hiccup as possible. On that level many European mills (excluding the Italian's here) rank top tier. They are real good with the ingots and the percentages used making them.

303 comes mostly round,  is used in automatic turning & cutting. 304 is common in sheet or blocks. There is a slight difference beyond shape. 304 is more pliable, more for forming & extruding (spoons, forks as example), which  oddly makes cutting it more of a pain. Gummy is not good when it comes to drill, mill cut & turn.

It's Bettinardi's DASS (Double Aged Stainless Steel) that is claimed to be double annealed. I've never heard Scotty Cameron's GSS 303 Stainless Steel described as double annealed.

But even if it were, I've owned over 20 DASS putters through the years and the steel is absolutely the same as any standard 303 stainless steel that Cameron uses.

At the end of the day, 303 Stainless has a very specific alloy mix and German 303 is not better or different than American 303. The purported difference is 100% marketing.

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1