Help with old driver

Hey all,

I need a little help. Story first, my boss gave me a driver that was given to him by another co-worker because there was a rattle sound in the head.

the club in question is a Taylormade Burner TP. 
My first thought was, “why haven’t you removed the weight screw and let whatever is rattling around in there fall out?”

This is when my boss gave me the driver and said “fix it and it’s yours”.

Well, I’ve tried multiple times to removed the weight screw and all I have done is damage it to the point I don’t think the weight wrench, if I can acquire one, will fit. 

my new question(s)!

Can I or a pro shop, drill out the existing weight screw if a wrench will not work?

Could I replace the weight from the Burner TP with say the weight from a M2?

Should I even be bothered by the rattle since the thing was hitting absolute bombs my last round? I mean, seriously some of the best drives I’ve ever hit. 

Here are a couple pictures to clarify the exact driver and to show the screw.

999BA1B4-04EA-4E67-A5C7-98FCE6885A30.jpeg

E365A96C-7AAC-4B4E-960D-D86E5E5F0869.jpeg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It   Generally it's not that easy.   All you really need is a small hole that can be used to spray in some "rattle stop".       I doubt it very much.  I certainly wou

If you have a SpeedOut set of bits, you can probably start a new hole in there.  Somebody may have epoxied the weight in there, so before you drill it out, heat with a propane torch or a heat gun.  Go

If you're hitting bombs with it, the rattle should be ignored.   You know once you "quiet it", the club will never work the same again.   Don't fix what's not broken.  

Posted Images

If you have a SpeedOut set of bits, you can probably start a new hole in there.  Somebody may have epoxied the weight in there, so before you drill it out, heat with a propane torch or a heat gun.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Adams 9015D 10.5* Aldila Longwood 47.5"
SMT AF460c 12* Wishon Red S2S 44"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Knuth High Heat 19* hybrid or Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 19* 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
Otey Crisman 41"

It

11 hours ago, Yhtomit433 said:

My first thought was, “why haven’t you removed the weight screw and let whatever is rattling around in there fall out?”

Generally it's not that easy.   All you really need is a small hole that can be used to spray in some "rattle stop".

Could I replace the weight from the Burner TP with say the weight from a M2?

I doubt it very much.  I certainly wouldn't count on it before trying to drill out the weight.   At least make sure you have a replacement before drilling it out.   But then you wont know if a replacement will fit before removing the weight.  Best chance of finding a replacement would be on ebay for some knock off out of china but I doubt you'll have much luck there either considering the age.

You may find a 3-pin wrench on ebay though.  With the right high application of heat, that might be enough to unscrew the weight.

But don't get to overly focused on the weight.    You don't need to remove the weight.  If you're going to drill into the head,  pick some other spot on the sole, drill a much smaller hole and use the rattle stop and a simple plug for the hole.   The weight is going to be the thickest part of the head and the hardest to drill out.  Another possible option is to pull the shaft as many of the old heads have access to the inside of the head through the hosel.

Rattle stop:

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-head-tac-syringe/p/gw0035/

or

https://smile.amazon.com/Brampton-Golf-Golf-Rattle-Stop/dp/B07C4R2TJZ/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g4368549507?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

then something like these can be used to plug the hole - or even a short machine screw from the local hardware store.

edit - sorry forgot the link.

https://www.golfworks.com/bore-through-shaft-pins/p/btspgv/

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

Yup I agree with Stuart, dont get too fixated on the weight  (I once wasted time making a tool to remove the weight from an adams hybrid to fix a rattle, only to find that the hole for the screw thread didn't go through into the head cavity!)

Personally I hate pulling a shaft just to fix a rattle, so like Stuart I would drill a hole somewhere on the sole, insert some goo with a small syringe, then plug.  I use a 5ml syringe with the plastic tube from a cotton bud epoxied to it.  If you don't want to shell out for proper rattle stop rat glue works well (v messy though) and I have also heard of using one part of a two part epoxy or even honey (sweet strikes guaranteed!)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.