HBO: Tiger (2021)

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From what I can tell this is a pretty fair doc. It is not necessarily nice, but does it need to be?   I started to listen to Johnny Wunders gear dive but couldn’t finish as his Tiger worship

Sounds like you'll love the show --- just get to keep re-living someone else's tragedies for personal entertainment.  LOL, now will be giving the thread a hard pass and focus on a well deserved putter

I hope it's mostly about golf. I could care less about his personal life - it's none of my business. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

I don't mind a hard hitting documentary, BUT if the other side doesn't get their say to defend or debunk what is said then it is nothing more than tabloid garbage.  

This is exactly right and what I was going to mention, they are only getting one side of the story. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle of both sides.

10 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

This is exactly right and what I was going to mention, they are only getting one side of the story. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle of both sides.

You can’t let the other side tell their story if they don’t want to talk to you

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 Hybrid 18* (DI-95X)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Just now, Redjeep83 said:

well then you don't release it. Who is in it that is still a friend to him?

Whether or not the Tiger doc has all of their facts correct may be up for debate. But you can’t let Tiger have all

the power here. He can’t totally control everything that is ever produced about him.

• Like 3

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 Hybrid 18* (DI-95X)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

5 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Whether or not the Tiger doc has all of their facts correct may be up for debate. But you can’t let Tiger have all

the power here. He can’t totally control everything that is ever produced about him.

that's fine but then you call it like it is, none of his current friends or team is in it.

Edited by Redjeep83
10 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

lol, are there any of his former and current competitors in it? 

Yeah

All the footage of him beating the crap out of all of them

😂

Redjeep! (I assume at some point in your life, you had a red jeep? ; ) I understand what you’re sayin about getting TWs side but TW was free to tell it and as long as these accounts are direct witnesses and not second hand/anonymous, there are no journalistic ethics issues.

And, per my comment, TWs clubs do plenty of talking and the images state clearly that he’s still as big as the game itself in the eyes of the fans ; )

521296A7-B2C1-47D0-8EE2-B200AA1F2C1D.jpeg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Yeah

😂

Redjeep! (I assume at some point in your life, you had a red jeep? ; ) I understand what you’re sayin about getting TWs side but TW was free to tell it and as long as these accounts are direct witnesses and not second hand/anonymous, there are no journalistic ethics issues.

And, per my comment, TWs clubs do plenty of talking and the images state clearly that he’s still as big as the game itself in the eyes of the fans ; )

yea, had a red jeep at the time so just used it that day when I signed up.

I agree but when I don’t see any players, any friends, family or Tiger himself in his documentary your only getting one side is all I’m saying. People are watching this documentary and acting like they know Tiger now. 

53 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

I agree but when I don’t see any players, any friends, family or Tiger himself in his documentary your only getting one side is all I’m saying. People are watching this documentary and acting like they know Tiger now. 

Nobody know Tiger

Tiger don’t know Tiger!

You think Tiger had any clue why he was cruising Vegas, training seals, while jetting around destroying people in golf tournaments?!

I imagine if you asked him now, he’d be like, how the heck was I doing that?!

• Like 1

On the level that his story is not done, that he's got kids, they're at age to be aware, this is not something he needs floating out there. His Mom is another consideration. His Dad's legacy, how the mom has had to keep chin up, she don't need more of it. So I get it, maybe I should not watch out of that respect, but I really don't fault him for his indiscretions. I empathize for the collateral damage done but can anyone here really say they would have done much better? Some big a.s.s. shoes to walk in there.

1 hour ago, Redjeep83 said:

I think it's going to be nearly impossible to get an objective documentary with Tiger or his closest contacts in it. It's clear that even if a 100% objective sharing of facts of how Tiger's parents raised him were put out he'd not really want to be a part of it. I honestly don't know too many people in general who would want to be a part of something that details under the microscope how their childhood with their parents went. It amazes me the amount of information on others people think they should have simply because someone is a celebrity.

It's also funny that people talk about him playing up a squeaky clean image. I can't think of anyone I know who shows the rough sides of their life intentionally, upsells the bad, or lets it all hang out unless they're a walking mess and don't know how to maintain decorum. I don't see the happy pictures with his ex-wife and kids as a lie. Clearly he was happy with them, and clearly outside of that were some very bad things from his childhood and later years that took a toll on it all.

There are a few former players I wouldn't want to meet for five minutes, or for a second five minutes in some cases, but I wouldn't watch a tell all on them either. I don't like tabloid journalism at that scale when it comes to anyone. If a public figure outright says, "I live my life by A, B, C standards, period," and they're really living by X, Y, Z, by all means do a story on it and share the facts that are contradicted while allowing them to respond if they choose to. Do not, however, think you're doing a service by exposing someone's entire childhood and adolescent horrors without their permission. This isn't being done to present a cautionary tale and educate others, it's being done to make money, and it doesn't at all align with the kind of documentaries I usually watch on HBO or anywhere else.

Not directing most of this at you, Redjeep83, just replying to your comment and then responding in general from there.

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Yeah

😂

It ain't nothin if this guys not in it 🙂

cigar guy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, AmazinBlue said:

"He makes a marital mistake"??? That's laughable.  He had affairs with reportedly over 40 women!!!  

I agree he is one of the two greatest golfers of all time and had arguably the greatest 10-year run ever. And his comeback was second only to Ben Hogan's (he almost died in a car-bus accident).  But to say his off the course shennigans was a mistake is ridiculous.

I haven't seen the documentary and probably won't.  I am very familiar with his career accomplishments and I don't need to hear about his other "exploits".  Highlights of his victories are replayed enough that another video compiling them is unnecessary.

His humility over the last couple of years (as opposed to upper-cuts in celebration) is admirable.  I have greater appreciation for him and his accomplishments, but another rehash is not something I have any interest in.  Actually, I am sick of the Players promo that Golf channel runs every hour of that putt.  It's as bad as all the State Farm commercials with Aaron Rodgers.  Just one more reason for the MUTE button

A mistake is a mistake... by putting the number 40 (are you sure?) right next to it, you won’t make it any bigger (at least no more than 40 times making the same mistake) when you compare it with the millions benefited by all his achievements...

In the same line, it is fine that you don’t agree with me but your arguments will not be stronger just by using adjectives like “laughable or ridiculous”...

Have a great game.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5º. UST Proforce V2 66S

Callaway Epic Flash SZ fw 15º. MCA Tensei AV Blue 75S
Callaway Epic Flash hy 19º. MCA Tensei AV Silver 77S
Tour Edge EXS Ti-Utility 23º. MCA Tensei AV Silver 77S
Maltby TE Forged (26º~ 50º). FST Pro 115S
Titleist Vokey SM8 D55º & K60º. TT DG  W
EVNROLL ER5 Hatchback
2 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

Everything you’ve ever seen or read has only been from one side. Hmmm you’re logic is flawed considering you’re obviously a fan.  

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

On the level that his story is not done, that he's got kids, they're at age to be aware, this is not something he needs floating out there. His Mom is another consideration. His Dad's legacy, how the mom has had to keep chin up, she don't need more of it. So I get it, maybe I should not watch out of that respect, but I really don't fault him for his indiscretions. I empathize for the collateral damage done but can anyone here really say they would have done much better? Some big a.s.s. shoes to walk in there.

I don't care about his indiscretions but as far as doing better? I think there are many people who could've done better. I know that I wouldn't have had sex while my kid was sleeping in the same room. Gross, weird, and out of control. 

6 minutes ago, PJE said:

I don't care about his indiscretions but as far as doing better? I think there are many people who could've done better. I know that I wouldn't have had sex while my kid was sleeping in the same room. Gross, weird, and out of control. 

You don't know that because you did not walk his shoes. You were not working on the green at 3 years old, put in all that time, told you cannot do anything else, cannot see a girl for it, be put under mental stress while playing for "fun" with dad. Fact, you & I were not subjected to it, so we don't know. We might have some idea of amateur sports pressure but who here was a prodigy? Real deal prodigy. 

On 1/12/2021 at 11:26 AM, bvmagic said:

I enjoyed watching the first episode, I'm a big Tiger fan but admit I did not know much details that they revealed so far.  It was interesting to hear from those close to his family growing up.  After watching the PNC father son tournament and this 1st episode, I hope Charlie can just enjoy being a kid and away from all the attention.  

I think if Tiger was concerned about Charlie enjoying himself being a kid and shielding him from attention, he wouldn't have had him play in the PNC? He termed it as "introducing him to the world".   

But, maybe the kid wanted to do it?  Hopefully, the dynamics of his relationship with his father and future work out well for the kid. 

18 minutes ago, PJE said:

I think if Tiger was concerned about Charlie enjoying himself being a kid and shielding him from attention, he wouldn't have had him play in the PNC? He termed it as "introducing him to the world".   

But, maybe the kid wanted to do it?  Hopefully, the dynamics of his relationship with his father and future work out well for the kid. 

Tiger protecting his kid and allowing him to play in the PNC are not mutually exclusive.

I can’t imagine you’re suggesting that TW “had” him play as opposed to allowing him to play and enjoy a great event that Charlie was clearly psyched to participate in. 

Charlie has grown up with tour pros as his dads friends. For him, pga tour pros are like if your average kid plays with their dads friends at the local course.

He was sitting at a table in the clubhouse at Augusta when his dad won the Masters ; )

Edited by bscinstnct
12 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Tiger protecting his kid and allowing him to play in the PNC are not mutually exclusive.

I can’t imagine you’re suggesting that TW “had” him play as opposed to allowing him to play and enjoy a great event that Charlie was clearly psyched to participate in. 

Charlie has grown up with tour pros as his dads friends. For him, pga tour pros are like if your average kid plays with their dads friends at the local course.

He was sitting at a table in the clubhouse at Augusta when his dad won the Masters ; )

No, I don't have any insight into the dynamics of their relationship so I am not making a judgment about it. 

Regarding your example, kids can think they want to do something because they're kids and at a certain age, they wish to emulate their parents and please them.  Later, it may or may not be what path the kid really seeks in life.  I think this is why there are relatively few successful pro golfers whose parents were successful pro golfers. 

But who knows with C. Woods? I hope life works out well for him, regardless of golf, and his relationship with his father is a good one. 

12 minutes ago, PJE said:

No, I don't have any insight into the dynamics of their relationship so I am not making a judgment about it. 

Regarding your example, kids can think they want to do something because they're kids and at a certain age, they wish to emulate their parents and please them.  Later, it may or may not be what path the kid really seeks in life.  I think this is why there are relatively few successful pro golfers whose parents were successful pro golfers. 

But who knows with C. Woods? I hope life works out well for him, regardless of golf, and his relationship with his father is a good one. 

I really don’t think it’s very complicated or potentially indicative of psychological confusion

that Charlie felt like playing a couple of rounds with his dad and his dads friends and coworkers; )

5369660B-2CE3-4EC9-A957-3844100ADCB3.jpeg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

that's fine but then you call it like it is, none of his current friends or team is in it.

Current team  = non disclosures and financially incentivized to stfu 🤬 

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

17 hours ago, Slippin_Jimmy said:

Tiger holds so much power over the golf world, he can crush almost anyone if he wants.  Plus he has brought so much money into golf that no player is going to take part in anything that doesn't have TW's stamp of approval.  He famously holds grudges for the most minor of slights.

By that logic, the only documentary about TW should be some type of "Tiger is Wonderful, Tiger is Great.." puff piece, the type of doc that Kim Jong Un would make about himself.  I guess there's an audience for that, but it's not going to show us anything about who Tiger really is.

This pretty much sums it up. From the time of his pro debut until 2009 you saw nothing about him other than how great he was on the course, because the off-course side was carefully shielded from view except for the parts that could polish his image. His team of handlers and those who depended on that image (Nike et al) made sure of that. Only once that charade all fell apart did we begin to see the full picture of the man, warts and all. It is interesting to me that even at that, it took nearly 10 years for the image to change as he tried to repair the body that he damaged and the ravages of age (to use a Henry Longhurst line) began to get a grip on him physically. God only knows what his mental state was during all that, but from the arrest for impairment near the end of that period, it is probably safe to say it wasn't good.

The point is that all we had ever seen were Golf Channel/TV network puff pieces until that time, and even after that, they still treated him with kid gloves while reporting the new and less flattering revelations about him. The Masters win in 2019 started the redemption story, and maybe he has changed, although we really don't know for sure. His behavior at tournaments over the last 2 years seems to be much more human and "normal", but we probably will never know if that is real or just what we are allowed to see because his image is still carefully managed. Regardless, this documentary fills in the blank spots in the pre-2019 picture of the man that was all we were privy to until recently, with little to no visibility towards his often despicable behavior and flawed personality. In that sense it is placing him on the same level as any other PGA Tour player or media celebrity, and what's good for one is good for all.

• Like 3