Still gaming G400 Max?

SMAC43

33 minutes ago, CaymanS said:

Still have mine and just played it today to great effect.  Really tough to improve on this one for most people.

Jealous, way too much snow here in the Midwest to think about playing for awhile

I play my 400 Max with a Ping Tour 65 stiff and it works fine but I will be 59 this year and thinking about trying it with the Tour 65 in regular flex. Anybody know if there's much of a difference?

3 minutes ago, hoosier84 said:

Jealous, way too much snow here in the Midwest to think about playing for awhile

I play my 400 Max with a Ping Tour 65 stiff and it works fine but I will be 59 this year and thinking about trying it with the Tour 65 in regular flex. Anybody know if there's much of a difference?

I have both.  I know a lot of people around here say that the Tour 65 stiff is pretty stout,  and it’s definitely stiffer than the reg, but it honestly doesn’t feel ridiculously stiff to me.  I swing the driver at 92 mph or so.  I prefer the reg but could swing either. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, e-man said:

I have both.  I know a lot of people around here say that the Tour 65 stiff is pretty stout,  and it’s definitely stiffer than the reg, but it honestly doesn’t feel ridiculously stiff to me.  I swing the driver at 92 mph or so.  I prefer the reg but could swing either. 

Thanks, I will probably try to pick one up this spring. It's just a hassle when you play a shorter length (44.5") and have to cut it down and have to figure out the swing weight adjustments. But might be time to see if it will work a little better. 

28 minutes ago, e-man said:

I own both as well, similar swing speed, and I have similar views.  Could play either, have played both, feel more comfortable with the reg, but probably play “better” with the stiff.  I still have my G400 Max 9*, and interestingly, stumbled upon the Even Flow Black 65 6.0 as a solid combo, which I figured would be too stiff and low launching. 

Was putting the Max with EF Black through its paces along with my B21 and Mavrik before the snow came, and kept coming.... Now, I’m out of action for a good while.  G400 Max always in the running for the bag, but always seems to be the bridesmaid to something else.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

On 12/23/2020 at 11:47 AM, SMAC43 said:

This thing keeps finding its way back in my bag. I’m a 5/6 HC I carry the ball about 260-270. Is there anything more forgiving that still keeps spin relatively low? smash factor seems consistently higher then anything else I’ve tried.  Sure...you dont get the occasional low spin bomb like you do from a TM sim but short of that, what’s come out in the past few yrs that rivals it?  Maybe the Tsi or the new g425 max? Only downside for me is it’s a little large looking down at address so doesn’t feel like it’s fast...

I did not find the G425 Max head (9 or 10.5) give me any discernible performance benefits over my G400 Max 9 - both with my TPT Red shaft.

You might try the Epic Max with the weight out to the toe. The Max LS might surprise you, too. But I'm thinking the Max would at least give you significantly better sound/feel.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

11 hours ago, e-man said:

I have Tour AD DI 6S in G400Max and tell you the truth... Tour 65 Stiff feels a lot more stout. Thanks

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

I put an older shaft in the Max, the TFC 419 SR and it is money for my slow swing! I am longer and straighter now, added about 5-10 yards, so very happy about that! I have never felt so confident in the driver before. 

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

With the release of the sim2 and g425 lst, I feel I get G400 type forgiveness, but don’t have to do special weighting to get the spins down. So I am officially retiring the g400max, but for anyone that gets 1800-2600 spin with the max, I’m not sure why they would switch. Still just as good as the new stuff

• Like 2

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Everyone is trying to be a "max" these days but to me there is only going to be one G400MAX!

Frankly glad I can focus any expenditure elsewhere in the bag because I dont even bother trying other drivers... 🙂

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

G400 max is the goat. Only way I’m missing fairways is when I’m putting absolutely horrendous swings on the thing (always possible). 

Have been thinking about giving the 425 a go but am reading that the 425 is lower spinning. I’m honestly on the low side with spin on the 400 Max (2200-2500) and have trouble with low spin drivers in the past (Me and the Taylormade M series did not get along at all, dive bombs all day long).

For those that have played the G400 Max with the right shaft combo and are now playing the G425 Max, has anyone seen issues with the upgrade and too low spin?

Still recovering from rotator cuff surgery, but landed on the green pin-high on a par 5 in two strokes.  First time in about 15 years!  It all began with "bombing" a drive of course.  I'm 68 and carry the ball about 225, slightly above average for my age group it seems.

• Like 3

12* Paradym X

16* SIM2 MAX-D

19* SIM2 MAX-D

24* Paradym super hybrid

- 6~GW '23 Great Big Bertha for regular use

- 6~GW Apex DCB for occasional use 

ChipR

54* Glide 4.0 WS

58* Glide 4.0 EYE2

Scotty GoLo 6

21 hours ago, CaymanS said:

Still recovering from rotator cuff surgery, but landed on the green pin-high on a par 5 in two strokes.  First time in about 15 years!  It all began with "bombing" a drive of course.  I'm 68 and carry the ball about 225, slightly above average for my age group it seems.

Your a true WRX'er playing golf with the bandages on. Your 225 y is better than my 200 y at 64.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• 1 month later...

I bought the Max before but never used it in real life since I picked it up in winter back then. I only used it in the simulator. This winter I bought another G400 Max. This is my fourth one. LOL 

I finally had the chance to use it in real life and not in the sim. 4 games later, Holy cr@p. This driver is so forgiving. I don't even lay up any more. I played the same courses that I played in the last 10 years and never have I felt this much confidence in my driver. 

Heck, I even feel now that my hybrid and three wood are more difficult to to use off the tee. Haha. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Max head in my “tool chest” for 15 months. Never really used it all that much during that period of time. The other day I was adjusting the back weight on my 410lst and the screw broke off, staying inside the head and rendering it unusable. Anyways, I’d been hitting all my other driver heads terribly so I decided to take the 400 max for a twirl. My goodness. Straight, consistent, gorgeous. Of course, like the good tinkerer I am, I’m messing around with bringing loft down and throwing a ventus black in there to reduce the spin, but I’m sold!! Sticking with the g400 max for the year... (unless Ping can’t fix my g410 and offers me a g425 Max head)

So, five games later this season with the G400 Max. Not sure if this is because of my swing changes but I am currently hitting 61% fairways based on my Game Golf App and have yet to lose a golf ball off the tee this season. 

I played last week a golf course that I hate because of the narrow fairways and they are tree line. I did not lay up, not even once. Strokes gained on the app is telling me that I drove the ball better than a scratch golfer on the last game. I was so happy haha.

This week we are playing a somewhat similar course and I cannot wait to put the G400 Max to the test. 

Even my G410 Plus last season was not this accurate. 

Edited by msg
  • Like 1

Attempting to wean from Max after 3.5 yrs... to Callaway Epic Speed or Max

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Just got back into a G400 Max again.  This is my 3rd or 4th go round..LOL  I was playing my previous setup with a HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 63g and it was awesome, straight and plenty long, but this time I am opting for a VS Proto 60x to try and knock a little spin off.  One range session and I am convinced there just is NO other driver as forgiving... I have tried the 410, 425, and almost every other driver.  Haha... straight bombs at the range and am hoping this transfers to the course this week.  I didnt love the Max at first but the more I play it, the more I appreciate it.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Another G400 max player here.  I was really excited about the 425 max and was ready to upgrade but the additional performance just wasn’t there for my swing.  I had a Ping fitting and one change he did make was going from the tour 65 stiff to the Alta X which is crazy with my 100mph swing.  However, it works fantastic and I am hitting the ball straighter than ever.  It’s really nice to be in the fairway or just off.

21 minutes ago, ap300c said:

Another G400 max player here.  I was really excited about the 425 max and was ready to upgrade but the additional performance just wasn’t there for my swing.  I had a Ping fitting and one change he did make was going from the tour 65 stiff to the Alta X which is crazy with my 100mph swing.  However, it works fantastic and I am hitting the ball straighter than ever.  It’s really nice to be in the fairway or just off.

The Alta CB X is actually a really forgiving shaft.  Performs great!  I have one in my 425 3w and am very pleased with it.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Cobra Radspeed XB just retired my G400 MAX. Dropped the spin, sounds better, and now hitting it further. 

Cobra Aerojet 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 5S

Callaway Paradym 3 Wood 15* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 70S

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 3H 18* and 4H 21* Aerotech Steelfiber FC 75S

Callaway Paradym 5 Hybrid  24* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 75S

Callaway Apex CF19 Forged 6-AW-SW  Recoil 95S

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 58/10 Mid TT DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One CH

16 hours ago, VictorValiant said:

Spin dropping and hitting it further are the same thing or correlated, no?  How is your accuracy/dispersion?  Not much sounds worse than the Ping drivers.

Purple is G400 MAX, red is Cobra XB. Carry about 14 yards further with the spin drop and it’s straighter so far. 

911BA48A-D55B-4593-999E-016E577DE1CA.png.d1595bc6fea5f116eac14ba45e48d42d.png

Cobra Aerojet 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 5S

Callaway Paradym 3 Wood 15* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 70S

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 3H 18* and 4H 21* Aerotech Steelfiber FC 75S

Callaway Paradym 5 Hybrid  24* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 75S

Callaway Apex CF19 Forged 6-AW-SW  Recoil 95S

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 58/10 Mid TT DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One CH

Had my Max out yesterday in windy afternoon conditions.  Thing was just bombing it.  It can be a spinny head so it may take a little fitting but it will keep up with anything else out there if the combo is right.  Only other driver I have hit that is this easy is the 0811 XF, but I do hear the Cobra RS XB is also a contender.  For now, I see no reason to switch, the G400 Max just feels powerful and so easy to keep in play.  

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"