Other Graphite Iron Shafts Besides Recoil, Steelfiber ?

Hit-em

I'm wondering what other graphite iron shafts are out there that guys have tried & had good results with beside the more main stream shafts like Recoil & Steelfiber

I've tried the Recoils & found them to be OK & I didn't care for the steelfiber

I'd like to find a tapered shaft if possible but it's not set in stone

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

45 minutes ago, Hit-em said:

I'm wondering what other graphite iron shafts are out there that guys have tried & had good results with beside the more main stream shafts like Recoil & Steelfiber

I've tried the Recoils & found them to be OK & I didn't care for the steelfiber

I'd like to find a tapered shaft if possible but it's not set in stone

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Don't overlook the fact that Aerotech has two very different lines of the steelfibers.   If you don't like the more common i-series because you found it to be a bit too stiff, give the fc series a try.  They are a very different shaft.  Higher launching and much smoother (or softer tipped).

What options are available will largely depend on what weight you're looking for.  For the heavier (> 90 gm) const weight tapered options, there are a few more but they do tend to be more expensive and harder to find to demo/test out.

KBS TGI's  - downside is that weight and flex change together so harder to find the best combination of both but some people will fit well into them.

Fujikura MCI's

MRC's MMT's

Accra iSeries iCWT 2.0 - also limited only 95 gm stiff or 115 gm x-stiff

A few more options for heavier shafts that are descending weight parallel tip.

Lots more options if you don't mind descending weight shafts and fit into the lighter weight parallel tip shafts < 80 gms.  Too many to list.

Edited by Stuart_G

What kind of shaft weight range are you looking for...

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

The Fujikura Pro's are definitely worth looking in to! 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9* (Aldila Rogue 70x)

Taylormade Sim Ti 14* (Diamana 75 X)

PXG 0317X Gen2 19* (AD-95) 

Titleist 818 H1 22* (Evenflow Blue)

ZX7/Z Forged Mkii 5-PW (Accra 125x)

Taylormade MG4 (DG TI Spinner)

L.A.B B.2

Srixon Z-Star♦

Accra Tour 90i is a great shaft. Been playing them for almost a year now. Had the Accra Tour 100i's for 4 years before that. Very smooth and dispersion is great.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

30 minutes ago, CallawayOffCenter said:

The Fujikura Pro's are definitely worth looking in to! 

Fuji Pros have been great for me, as well.  SteelFibers, KB TGi, and Recoils, both Prototype and base versions, have not worked.  Fuji Pros are in a set of Wilson V6 and it's an outstanding combination. 

• Like 3

On top of all mentioned, there are also the PX Catalyst shafts.  And Xcaliber have a couple products, including their new Rapid Taper shafts, that @Popeye64 is rather fond of...

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I’ve tried just about everything. For me, KBS TGI 95 stiff hard-stepped one time was the magic by a land slide. If the weight/flex matches up for you, I would highly recommend them. 

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

There is some older aldila stuff that is good rip115, nv105

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

1 hour ago, Hit-em said:

I'm looking in the 80-95 gr

I’ve played the Project X Catalyst70 gr and the xcalibers 95 gr and liked both...playing the taper tip Recoil 680 now, seem to be the best for me.

• Ball - Maxfli Tour 

Currently trying the KBS TGI 80. Too soon to tell but I’m liking then thus far.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

12 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Xcaliber has a set of Classic taper tips (not the Rapid Tapers) in a 80g weight. I can get you a full set of shafts for $150. Very under-rated and a great bargain. I've built a few sets this year and it has surprised all that have hit them. 

I have a set of Maltby Irons with the Xcaliber Tour 95 shafts that I occasionally play and I really like the feel and performance.

• Like 1
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

18 hours ago, Hit-em said:

I'm looking in the 80-95 gr

I just recently tried the Xcaliber RT 75 in my hybrids, RT 95 in my irons, and the spin 100 in my wedges. Really like the feel of both the 75 and 95 on any kind of swing I put on them.

The spin 100 is awesome on the touch or finesse shots. I’m not completely sold on using these in my wedges for full swings. I may switch them out for heavier shafts. It’s late in the year and my season in pretty much over so I’ll continue testing until next year. 

these are .370 tip but anyone with some patience could taper these to .355

4 hours ago, tbccgolfer said:

I have a set of Maltby Irons with the Xcaliber Tour 95 shafts that I occasionally play and I really like the feel and performance.

The Tour 95 which is now the Pro X is a very unique shaft. Acts like steel with the steel woven mesh but dampens like graphite. I have always seen that shaft as the perfect transition for a player that isn't ready to give up steel just yet. I have played the Tour x and the Pro x longer than any other shaft combination by a mile. 

Its just recent that I switched to the Rapid Tapers but still have the ProX in my wedges. 

• Like 1

I'm going to build @Hit-em a couple of demos. An 85g Prox and the brand new Rapid Taper RTi 85 both R flex. The 85g RTI are have just been released so it should be the first club out in the wild. 

Since he is playing a Mizuno Mp20 MMC the Maltby PTM will actually be a pretty close head, design wise. 

Should be a really neat comparison for him with the two different shaft designs. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

New to WRX so hopefully I can get some help with Steelfibers.  January 2020, I get fitted at Club Champion.  TM P-760 with Steelfiber i110 R-flex (taper tips).  Good results on trackman but Club Champion wants $3,000 for the set and TM did not offer the Steelfiber i110 so I passed.  Recently, I started looking at the Mizuno MP20-MMC (nice club) and went to a Mizuno Demo day last week. Fitter used the shaft optimizer and order of shafts were:

1) Steelfiber i110 CW S-flex

2) C-Taper Lite S-flex (softstepped once)

3) PX LZ 5.0 (softstepped once). 

Seemed like an odd group but fitter said all 110g weight which is #1 consideration and all have similar profile which is #2 consideration, and I should not think in terms of stiffness.  I hated KBS they always seem boardy.  PXLZ and Steelfiber had good ball flights, etc., but the Steelfiber felt a bit better.  I mention to the fitter that Club Champion fit me in Steelfiber i110 R-flex a year ago and he rather abruptly says that is incorrect for me. I am guessing he is basing that on the optimizer showing S-flex and I did hit them well.   My question is does a taper tip play firmer than parallel tip and is that possibly why I was fitted into a taper tip R-flex and parallel tip S-flex?  I know fitting is the right way to go and I have some comfort in two different fittings putting me in Steelfiber i110's, albeit different flexes.  At 60 years old and with an 81mph, 7 iron swing, which while it may get more efficient since I work with an instructor, it's certainly not going to get faster or more powerful.  I am definitely going to buy new irons, but want to ensure as much as possible I am putting the best shaft possible for me that will last a few years.

Interestingly, I have been hitting my buddies Maltby TS-2 head.  He loves them and they felt nice so I was considering building a set through Golfworks and save $500 over Mizuno, but on the Golfworks site under i110 R-flex there are notes "no longer available" but under the i110 stiffs they are available.  It almost seems the R-flex is being phased out.

Thank you

Edited by dmarz911
  • Like 1

If your baseline is 81 mph I would not think you’re a stiff flex in steelfiber.  Maybe stiff soft stepped 2X or 3X? It is correct that the .370 plays just a bit softer but not night and day difference from the .355

I would think the first evaluation of regular flex in the taper was correct. 

call golfworks directly regarding the steelfiber in 110. It’s just something with their setup online. You could also only buy a couple clubs from them. You don’t have to do a full set. If you wanted to just try say a 7 and a PW. 

Edited by Colej

49 minutes ago, dmarz911 said:

New to WRX so hopefully I can get some help with Steelfibers.  January 2020, I get fitted at Club Champion.  TM P-760 with Steelfiber i110 R-flex (taper tips).  Good results on trackman but Club Champion wants $3,000 for the set and TM did not offer the Steelfiber i110 so I passed.  Recently, I started looking at the Mizuno MP20-MMC (nice club) and went to a Mizuno Demo day last week. Fitter used the shaft optimizer and order of shafts were:

1) Steelfiber i110 CW S-flex

2) C-Taper Lite S-flex (softstepped once)

3) PX LZ 5.0 (softstepped once). 

Seemed like an odd group but fitter said all 110g weight which is #1 consideration and all have similar profile which is #2 consideration, and I should not think in terms of stiffness.  I hated KBS they always seem boardy.  PXLZ and Steelfiber had good ball flights, etc., but the Steelfiber felt a bit better.  I mention to the fitter that Club Champion fit me in Steelfiber i110 R-flex a year ago and he rather abruptly says that is incorrect for me. I am guessing he is basing that on the optimizer showing S-flex and I did hit them well.   My question is does a taper tip play firmer than parallel tip and is that possibly why I was fitted into a taper tip R-flex and parallel tip S-flex?  I know fitting is the right way to go and I have some comfort in two different fittings putting me in Steelfiber i110's, albeit different flexes.  At 60 years old and with an 81mph, 7 iron swing, which while it may get more efficient since I work with an instructor, it's certainly not going to get faster or more powerful.  I am definitely going to buy new irons, but want to ensure as much as possible I am putting the best shaft possible for me that will last a few years.

Interestingly, I have been hitting my buddies Maltby TS-2 head.  He loves them and they felt nice so I was considering building a set through Golfworks and save $500 over Mizuno, but on the Golfworks site under i110 R-flex there are notes "no longer available" but under the i110 stiffs they are available.  It almost seems the R-flex is being phased out.

Thank you

I have the Maltby TS-2 irons with Xcaliber Rapid Taper 75g graphite shafts.    These were built by Popeye64.  

I'm very happy with these irons.   I was looking for a higher ball flight and the benefits of graphite shafts after having major hand surgery.    

My previous irons were Ping Gs with Nippon 950GH steel shafts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrDon said:

I have the Maltby TS-2 irons with Xcaliber Rapid Taper 75g graphite shafts.    These were built by Popeye64.  

I'm very happy with these irons.   I was looking for a higher ball flight and the benefits of graphite shafts after having major hand surgery.    

My previous irons were Ping Gs with Nippon 950GH steel shafts.

I put the 75’s in my hybrids and 95’s in my irons. So far I’m very impressed. I had both hands done 3 months ago (carpal tunnel surgery). 

Thanks for the replys. I figured at my swing speed R-flex is a better choice. But, I had Edwin Watts also put me on the shaft optimizer 2 days ago and top 3 were all 120g S-flex - go figure. I somewhat dismissed those results because the fitter did not seem real familar with the optimizer. But he says at 81mph you are definitely a S-flex. Before I leave another employee says at 81mph you are definitely a R-flex - again, go figure.

I currently have Maltby TS-2 with PX LZ 5.5. Gave them a try earlier this year.  At least a club longer than my Ping 210s. But the bulky head just does not appeal and I want to get back to a more player looking iron. Today I hit my buddies TS-1 with AMT Red R-flex side by side with an Apex with DG 105 S-flex. Both were towering in height (but I always hit high as I am an early releaser with a slight flip) and about the same distance and forgiveness, but the Apex was harsh.

I recently hit my buddies Mizuno MP-20MMC with AMT white S-flex side by side with my TS-2 at the range. TS-2 were 7-8 yards longer, but MP flew nice, felt good and surprisingly forgiving but I could feel the extra weight. Incidentally, I hit the MP 5 iron very well which I attribute the reduced shaft weight and closer to my ideal weight. I am every fitters nightmare.

I figure its going to be the TS-1 or Mizuno MP-20mmc once I figure out shafts.

• Like 1