2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2020 LPGA Year in Review

Argonne69

Another (crazy) year flies by. Thank goodness? "Only" 18 tournaments. 16 different winners from 6 different countries. 5 first time winners. Considering the strange year it's been, I'd say the tour managed to survive with minimal damage.

Thoughts on the year?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I was hoping 2019 rookies Jennifer Kupcho, Kristin Gillman and Maria Fassi make their presence felt in their sophomore year, but not to be.

The 2020 rookies were a lucky bunch; their playing opportunities were enhanced because the pandemic kept many higher ranked international players away.  They seized their opportunities by and large, but failed to produce a win.

My hope for 2021 is that Generation Z players (born 1997 or after) capture 10 of the 34 wins.  The tour won't grow any bigger if we don't have more fresh faces and fresh stories to capture new fans.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 3

Agree with what has been said above.

Work-life balance: So Yeon Ryu and Karrie Webb tried it, with minimal success. Inbee, however, seems to be a factor whenever she tees it up. At the USWO she said something about not being long enough for that tournament. The commentators grabbed a hold of it, and suddenly Inbee wasn't long enough. Not sure what you guys all think, but length seems a little overrated on these boards. Sure, it's a factor, but so is skill!

Rookies of 2019 were disappointing overall. I still think Kupcho has potential. Kristen Gillman went a mile backward, but hopefully that's a temporary glitch. I just think Fassi is overrated because of her length. A lot of pressure on her as an emerging superstar, but she has some golfing to learn, which she may or may not succeed at. On the plus side she seems very self aware.

What happened to the Chinese? Where is Shanshan? Yu Liu trailed off badly this year.

Of the Aussies Hannah Green looks a more likely winner than Minjee Lee. I love Minjee, and statistically she had a very good year, but she struggles with the W's. We await the arrival of Su Oh! Ruffels also - yeah!

I am impressed with the rookies of 2020, especially Yealimi, who looks very poised. The others have oodles of talent too.

Again, i am so impressed with the Koreans. Does anything need to be said? 3 out of 4 majors. Even a struggling Lee6 hung in there.

I think Argonne needs to write a detailed report card for every player though. I am too lazy.

Kudos to Lydia Ko on her return - and YES, she has returned. There was no doubt about it from my first look at her after the restart.

Look forward to 2021!

• Like 3

Nasa had a quiet year with five top 10s in 12 events, but still managed to finish 5th on the money list. Two of the top 10s were in majors. 

Austin had a solid year, grabbing her 2nd career win and four top 10s. She had a nice 5th place finish at the AIG, but otherwise she was a non-factor in the majors. 

Amy was in the spotlight at the USWO, but otherwise it was a mediocre year. She managed only 3 top 10s and didn't grab her first win. I expected more. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Minjee had another good start to her season, but then quickly ran out of gas. She didn't manage another top 10 after a 7th at the ANA. Me thinks she needs a new putting coach. 

Lydia sure looks like she's back, but still has to avoid the blow up holes that derail a good round. Five top 10s this season, and oh so (painfully) close to a win at the Marathon. She seems to be in good spirits, so I think she's mentally prepared to start the new season on a positive note. 

• Like 1

Brooke had two wins a season 2016 through 2019, but failed to win in this abbreviated year. She was close at the ANA, but her other top 10s didn't really feel like she was close to hoisting the trophy. Ballstriking continued to be solid, but Minjee and her need to find a two for the price of one deal with a putting coach. 

Ally had a great two week stretch with a win and a 2nd, but that was it for top 10s. She needs to work on consistency. Too many 20th+ finishes. 

• Like 1

Definitely thought we'd see more from Nelly this year. She had a great three week stretch mid-season where see posted top 5 finishes, but otherwise she was a non-factor. A few good rounds would put her in the hunt, but she'd take herself out of it the following day. Injury was a factor of course. We'll see how she rebounds next year. 

Lexi was in the spotlight last week trying to extend her annual winning streak, but otherwise it was a rough year. Only three top 10s with a 4th being her best finish. We're all aware of her struggles with the putter, but her wedge play this year seemed to be letting her down as well. She seems a little down. Burnout perhaps? This was her 9th season. 

I too was expecting more from the rookies given the expanded playing opportunities. Yealimi, Bianca, Yui, and Andrea had two top 10s each, but need to step it up next year. 

• Like 1

Simply awful year for Ariya. Only 3 top 10s in 13 tournaments. Good for 32nd on the money list. She really needs to put a driver in her bag and take advantage of her length. She's got the short game to deal with the misses. 

Expected more from Megan. She was getting more TV time as the season winded down, primarily thanks to her solid finish at the USWO, but the major was her only top ten for the year in 14 events. 

39 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I too was expecting more from the rookies given the expanded playing opportunities. Yealimi, Bianca, Yui, and Andrea had two top 10s each, but need to step it up next year. 

I doubt we will get to see much of Andrea and even less of Bianca in 2021 due to their low priority ranking. So they need to perform like a microwave as soon as they get the chance.  So I'm not expecting much from these 2 in 2021 until they hit qschool again in 2021. 

After some analysis, these 2 have benefited a lot from the absence of Koreans, Thais, Chinese, North Americans (remember Cambia and the forest fires?).  Bianca (total of 10 events in 2020, with luck playing in 3-4 events as she was last-4th last entry on last minute pull outs) barely made the KPMG, Cambia, Pelican, etc - didn't make ShopRite and waited till the first tee was played etc...

For others, expect to see more of Muni given Albon has no ride in F1 this coming 2021.  

For Stanford alumns, expect to see more of Albane I/o Andrea, for Beardown fans, Haley I/o Bianca, etc bec of priority list...

I'd say Yealimi and Yui would be most promising of the "rookie" class based on their "abilities"/consistency. 

Was actually surprised Albane fared so poorly in 2020. 

• Like 2

Not a good year for the Americans. Danielle Kang was very strong early with the two wins (weaker fields). Lexi was a disappointment. Nelly Korda battled injuries. Jessica Korda contended but never really came close to winning. Amy Olson was in the mix late. USA Women’s Golf seems to be trending in the wrong direction. 

Edited by Tailgater
  • Sad 1

Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.

9 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

To be honest I expected nothing from the rookies despite constant hype they endured.
It's not easy out there, and pressure being new does not help. For me Yealimi has shown she's ready, she actually reminds me of Nelly.
Give them time to get a feel for the tour, the new courses, travel..etc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tailgater said:

Not a good year for the Americans. Danielle Kang was very strong early with the two wins (weaker fields). Lexi was a disappointment. Nelly Korda battled injuries. Jessica Korda contended but never really came close to winning. Amy Olson was in the mix late. USA Women’s Golf seems to be trending in the wrong direction. 

Jessica is a complete mystery to me, I feel like she has all the tools to easily be a steady top 15 player producing a win and many top 10's per year. Does her mental game get clouded? Nagging injuries?

Seemed like a pretty good year for Americans in my opinion, 6 wins in 17 events.. not too shabby if you look back over the last 5 full seasons. I also take into consideration some European and Asian players may not have been here to hinder those wins. But pretty good in reality.

Yes, Lexi was a bit disappointing this year, but so were Fassi and Kupcho and Minjee, Nasa.
I seriously still believe if she stops rotating putters, hires a real putting coach and learns to control her wedge spin she would be a force out there hands down. It appears a lot of people dislike her, which is fine, but her raw talent to play the game cannot be overlooked any time soon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

Inbee, however, seems to be a factor whenever she tees it up. At the USWO she said something about not being long enough for that tournament. The commentators grabbed a hold of it, and suddenly Inbee wasn't long enough. Not sure what you guys all think, but length seems a little overrated on these boards. Sure, it's a factor, but so is skill!

Inbee ranks 129th out of 136 in driving distance with a massive 237yds, not to mention according to some she should be waaayyy past her prime at 32yrs old. Funny how she still gets it done..

Of the 16 winners this year only 3 rank inside the top 20 in driving distance, SYK, Madelene, and Mel.
The average distance (according to LPGA.com) of the combined winners is 254yds, which places that between 50-60th place in the rankings.

The average age of the winners 29.6, Georgia Hall being the youngest at 24, Angela Standford the oldest at 43.

Where were the bombers and where were the youngsters this year? 

• Like 1

'Not sure bombing was a effective strategy this season. They played a number of new courses this year, and most if them were rather penal. Good course management seemed to be the order of the day. Also, with new courses comes new green complexes. Many of the top bombers are suspect with their putting, and it showed. The best ballstrikers still need to get the ball in the hole, and few of the longest hitters are ranked near the top in ballstriking. Anne is 31T. Bianca is 61st. Maria is 65th.

Nelly and Lexi are both long off the tee, and top 10 ballstrikers, but their putting is spotty.

• Like 2

Highlight of the year seems oh so long ago, He Young winning the ISPS Handa. I've been a big fan of hers for years, even as she struggled to keep her card. She struggled most of the season, but that win ensured that she'll be around for a few more years.

Lowlight of the year had to be Lydia's final hole at the Marathon. A win would have really cemented her return to the upper levels, but it all came apart. She definitely moving in the right direction, but that stung.

23 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

'Not sure bombing was a effective strategy this season. They played a number of new courses this year, and most if them were rather penal. Good course management seemed to be the order of the day. Also, with new courses comes new green complexes. Many of the top bombers are suspect with their putting, and it showed. The best ballstrikers still need to get the ball in the hole, and few of the longest hitters are ranked near the top in ballstriking. Anne is 31T. Bianca is 61st. Maria is 65th.

Nelly and Lexi are both long off the tee, and top 10 ballstrikers, but their putting is spotty.

Bianca needs to improve her ball striking significantly as this is her weakest part of her game. If she's mediocre in stats for the round (eg 65% GIR +/-) she won't be in the mix. Higher than 75, she'll be up there... Any lower than 65%=MC. Putting is ok for her. It's really her 2nd and approach shots that usually "Doom" her round... Can't say it's Bec of equipment but rather her "feel" that needs to be worked on (remote caddie here lol)

That Lydia "meltdown" at the Marathon was my lowlight.  The SYK KPMG win was my highlight for this year.  I am cheering Minjee to do the same in 2021, but like Rickie/Xander/Tony, it may take quite a while still...

PS am pleasantly "surprised" Bianca is 60+ in ranking for ballstriking, 2 strong ballstriking tournaments (out of 10 played) definitely skewed it a bit ... 

Edited by HMHS
Added PS comment
  • Like 1

Some interesting thoughts about the year!

While she had her ups and downs, and didn't pull out a win, I was really impressed with Hannah Green. She's an interesting player with a lot of potential, her mental game is stronger than other players I say have potential. She kinda seems to be in her own world on the course and generally keeps good control of her emotions. Less affected by who she plays with or her position on the board than a lot of players. A fierce competitor too. She's really not happy with second, but I hope she feels good about the 2nd at CME. I think she'll get at least one win next year, maybe even another major. 

The other player I have to mention is Emily Pedersen who tore up the LET. I'm in Denmark so maybe biased, but I think she could shape up into a contender in the LPGA. What impressed me the most was how she plays final rounds and under pressure in general. She's fearless and calm. Really looking forward to see how she does next year in LPGA events, she's come close already, a win isn't out of the question. 

Georgia Hall is looking like she'll keep progressing. Nice all around player. Reminds me a bit of Inbee. 

So Yeon Ryu looks like she might be finding some of her magic.. I hope. 

Most disappointing player I had high hopes for was Brittany Altomare.. I thought she was close to pulling it together, but just wasn't much to see. 

Finally, my favorites, Danielle Kang and Sei Young Kim seem poised to continue climbing! Doubt anyone will catch Jin Young Ko though.. Can't wait. There's a definite possibility she'll dominate the tour like we haven't seen in a while. She makes the game seem beautiful. 

Edited by Sharrow
Clarity
  • Like 4

If I was handing out grades, there would be a lot of Incompletes given, e.g. Sung Hyun, In Kyung, Lucky 6, So Yeon, MJ. Many of the Korean players sat out most of the season, and played in fewer than 10 tournaments. 'Hoping that 2021 returns to (somewhat) normal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sharrow said:

Some interesting thoughts about the year!

While she had her ups and downs, and didn't pull out a win, I was really impressed with Hannah Green. She's an interesting player with a lot of potential, her mental game is stronger than other players I say have potential. She kinda seems to be in her own world on the course and generally keeps good control of her emotions. Less affected by who she plays with or her position on the board than a lot of players. A fierce competitor too. She's really not happy with second, but I hope she feels good about the 2nd at CME. I think she'll get at least one win next year, maybe even another major. 

The other player I have to mention is Emily Pedersen who tore up the LET. I'm in Denmark so maybe biased, but I think she could shape up into a contender in the LPGA. What impressed me the most was how she plays final rounds and under pressure in general. She's fearless and calm. Really looking forward to see how she does next year in LPGA events, she's come close already, a win isn't out of the question. 

Georgia Hall is looking like she'll keep progressing. Nice all around player. Reminds me a bit of Inbee. 

So Yeon Ryu looks like she might be finding some of her magic.. I hope. 

Most disappointing player I had high hopes for was Brittany Altomare.. I thought she was close to pulling it together, but just wasn't much to see. 

Finally, my favorites, Danielle Kang and Sei Young Kim seem poised to continue climbing! Doubt anyone will catch Jin Young Ko though.. Can't wait. There's a definite possibility she'll dominate the tour like we haven't seen in a while. She makes the game seem beautiful. 

Welcome to see you here, I’ve been enjoying reading your posts at the Seoul Sister Forum.

If you’re interested, please join us in “2021 LPGA Contest”.  You can pick your favorites Danielle and Sei Young, and we’ll have fun.

• Thanks 1

Kind of expect lpga play to move up considerably with driving distance and long forced carry shots into greens. It is just starting but in a few years, 260-280 driving will be more there. When this happens the lpga May begin to play more difficult tracks. Kind of expect the I. Park types will need to adjust....

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

On 12/23/2020 at 9:36 PM, Argonne69 said:

Minjee had another good start to her season, but then quickly ran out of gas. She didn't manage another top 10 after a 7th at the ANA. Me thinks she needs a new putting coach. 

I think Minjee lacks the killer instinct. It's almost like she just plays golf on a happy go lucky whim.
If she wins cool, if not cool. Her potential is awesome, she just needs to learn how to use it to the fullest. Kinda like Danielle Kang, it would appear as if working with Butch lit a fire and unleashed her potential.

Minjee needs to find her Butch and open a can of whoop a**! 

• Like 1

I would have liked Nelly to get her breakthrough major but think it will happen soon.  I would have liked Georgia Hall to do better in the majors and it is time for Charley Hull to start building on her promise.  Good to see Lydia back (and I agree that she is back) with some very consistent performances. 

Enjoyed all the coverage.  The two negatives for me were the advertising hoarding on 18 for the ANA and the exclusion of Popov to allow for Natalie Gulbis (both of which are well commented on in other threads so I hope I don’t derail this one!!).

Titleist TSi1 10 degree driver 

TM Stealth 4 and 7 woods
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Vokey 54 D grind 58 D grind
Scotty Newport 2.5 Special Select

TM Tour Response balls

H2NO stand bag

A pleasant surprise for me was Sophia Popov.  To come almost out of nowhere to win a major was awesome.  I wish she could have done more with her limited opportunities, but I guess you can't get everything!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!