How to keep ****s from stealing your rangefinder

After 5+ years it finally happened, I lost my Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder, pretty sure I know when / how it was taken. I was at the putting green a few days ago and noticed some shady guy walking near my bag suspiciously, I made a mental note to check that my rangefinder was still there but forgot. Today (first time I played since) I get to the first hole, open my rangefinder bag, and it's empty.

I previously kept my rangefinder in its small bag attached to my stand bag in clear display. That was a mistake and I was somewhat asking for trouble. So now what do I do? I was thinking to leave it in my glovebox or trunk, and only move it to my bag when I'm playing around. Or maybe hide it deep in one of the pockets in my stand bag. Any suggestions?

Normally I store it in it's case in my bag. When I play and take it out I clip the case on the D ring on my bag. That reminds me to get it out of the cart put it in the case and the case in my bag when I leave.

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Exactly why I dont use the case that hangs off a bag. If you suspected something, you should have made it known that you are watching the guy. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Mine stays in one of the bag's pockets when I'm not actually on course using it.

I also have a plain headcover for my putter for the same reason. I'll use the nice headcover when I'm out on course, but around the clubhouse or range, I go with the plain headcover.

That said, the only thing I've ever had stolen was a 20-ish year old blade 5-iron that I left laying down on the range. It was never turned in, even having checked back in with the course for weeks afterwards. Seriously, who steals a single 20 year old Ram Tour Grind 5-iron? Dumb.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dhacker56 said:

Play away from the inner city?  LOL

Winona Ryder 

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

On 12/23/2020 at 3:51 PM, tw_focus said:

After 5+ years it finally happened, I lost my Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder, pretty sure I know when / how it was taken. I was at the putting green a few days ago and noticed some shady guy walking near my bag suspiciously, I made a mental note to check that my rangefinder was still there but forgot. Today (first time I played since) I get to the first hole, open my rangefinder bag, and it's empty.

I previously kept my rangefinder in its small bag attached to my stand bag in clear display. That was a mistake and I was somewhat asking for trouble. So now what do I do? I was thinking to leave it in my glovebox or trunk, and only move it to my bag when I'm playing around. Or maybe hide it deep in one of the pockets in my stand bag. Any suggestions?

I’ve been using this for 10 years and haven’t lost my range finder yet:

Nikon Recon Gear Retractable Rangefinder Tether https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JJGY7A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_xnu5Fb8FQZGJG

It's all funny until it happens to you, then all would be posting their story on golf WRX. One of the reasons I have hesitated to buy a rangefinder why is firstly the cost, and secondly if I lost it or it got stolen. I'm probably more concerned how about me losing it than anything because I get a little absent-minded sometimes. I left my golf bag on the cart 50 miles away before I realized it. Thankfully, my partner who's driving us home turned around and went back to the course so I could retrieve my bag of Clubs. Sometimes we don't always make the right decisions and sometimes we pay for it , but that doesn't give anybody the right to steal your stuff or keep stuff they find on a course. I have a Bushnell V5 slope I paid $400 for and I keep it stowed deeply in one of the bag pockets so if somebody wanted to steal it they would have to go into my bag and scrounge around a a little bit. If I catch them they might be wearing a 5-iron for a day or two. I am always leery about leaving my golf bag anywhere out of my sight on a golf course period.

OP, sorry this happened to you.

Edited by hybrid25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Unfortunately, the scumbags sometimes win, no matter what you do.  I'd just keep it in my pocket while on the practice green.  Hopefully it's safe back in/on the bag once you get on the course - if not, I'd probably play a different course.  But you should try playing without a finder for a while now that you have the opportunity, and use the marking on the course (if well-marked).  You might find you don't really benefit that much from it after all.

22 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

Unfortunately, the scumbags sometimes win, no matter what you do.  I'd just keep it in my pocket while on the practice green.  Hopefully it's safe back in/on the bag once you get on the course - if not, I'd probably play a different course.  But you should try playing without a finder for a while now that you have the opportunity, and use the marking on the course (if well-marked).  You might find you don't really benefit that much from it after all.

I don't know how anyone would not be helped from a rangefinder/gps. Every PGA professional hashes over with their caddy the distance to the hole before the shot. The father/son tournament just played was laden with rangefinders  that were allowed in that tournament. Rangefinders are expensive, but they flat out work. Yes, the criminal side of society will grab it from you if given a chance, and that does suck.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

My bag has a special pocket for a rangefinder but my Bushnell doesn't fit in the pocket.  Not that I'd use the pocket.  It lives deep down in my large bag pocket.  Not that all my precautions help me.  I forgot it twice.  Once on the range and once on the tee.  Nice people returned it both times.  I found a SC head cover on Monday.  Studio Select.  Think I know who lost it and was surprised he didn't walk back to see if I had it.  Oh well.  The pro at the course has it if the guy comes back looking for it.  

1 hour ago, hybrid25 said:

I don't know how anyone would not be helped from a rangefinder/gps. Every PGA professional hashes over with their caddy the distance to the hole before the shot. The father/son tournament just played was laden with rangefinders  that were allowed in that tournament. Rangefinders are expensive, but they flat out work. Yes, the criminal side of society will grab it from you if given a chance, and that does suck.

Not to hijack this thread for a different subject, but all I'm saying is that, if your course has clear 150 markings, I'm betting most weekend golfers would find that using a rangefinder doesn't help their game all that much.  Reason - we don't hit the ball a consistent enough distance.  Sure, pros and very good golfers would benefit because they can hit the ball more precise distances.  I have a rangefinder, and I haven't completely put it to bed, but I've found recently that it doesn't really benefit me all that much on courses that have clear 150 markings, if at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

Not to hijack this thread for a different subject, but all I'm saying is that, if your course has clear 150 markings, I'm betting most weekend golfers would find that using a rangefinder doesn't help their game all that much.  Reason - we don't hit the ball a consistent enough distance.  Sure, pros and very good golfers would benefit because they can hit the ball more precise distances.  I have a rangefinder, and I haven't completely put it to bed, but I've found recently that it doesn't really benefit me all that much on courses that have clear 150 markings, if at all.

I can't say that I am very consistent, even though, I would rather know if the flag is actually 157 instead of 150 that the fw marker states. Not knowing the correct distance just adds another variable to one's inconsistency. Like I said, they are expensive, at least for a bushnell or the likes, but they can be purchased for $200 or even less. A new club in the bag will cost that or double that. It really all depends on your seriousness about the game.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

13 minutes ago, hybrid25 said:

I can't say that I am very consistent, even though, I would rather know if the flag is actually 157 instead of 150 that the fw marker states. Not knowing the correct distance just adds another variable to one's inconsistency. Like I said, they are expensive, at least for a bushnell or the likes, but they can be purchased for $200 or even less. A new club in the bag will cost that or double that. It really all depends on your seriousness about the game.

I have a Nikon Coolshot 20, and they can be had for under $200.  It does nothing other than give distance, but it does it very well.  Has been very reliable.  I really don't know what else one would need in a rangefinder.

• Like 2

That's a tough question. You can't stop a motivated thief. If they are willing to risk getting caught stealing in broad daylight, they would have stolen something. 

I'm much more prone to leave mine in a cart or at the range, so I bought my last one used at a pawn shop for cheap ($60). Not too heartbroken if I lose it or drop it, and it does everything I really need it to do. I've heard good things about the generic ones on Amazon too. No reason to spend $400 if you're worried about it getting stolen.  Most of the time I just play the distance from my Shotscope watch anyway, the rangefinder mostly gets used to scope the distance to trees or hazards. 

Edited by Mych

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

On 12/26/2020 at 9:59 AM, cristphoto said:

"I left my golf bag on the cart 50 miles away before I realized it." 

Now that's forgetful.  Plus another reason to keep your rangefinder in your pocket.  😁

Well I’ve also left my bag on a cart and also only realized it 50 miles from the course too... luckily, I had also forgot to remove myself from the cart as well. 

• Haha 2