How to keep ****s from stealing your rangefinder

23 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Used a Dremel and put my name on it. Left it in a cart by mistake and nobody turned it in.

I just don't understand how some people think what they find on the golf course actually belongs to them? One brother cheating the other brother. 

• Like 3

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

5 minutes ago, lchang said:

I’ll just tell a feel-good story to make us feel a tiny bit better about the world:  I got a call because I leave my first name and phone number labeled on my rangefinder. I’d left it in the cart and the kid working the barn called so I could retrieve it. 

That's the way it should be always. It is refreshing to hear a story like this.

• Like 2

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

I left mine in a cart on the east coast, flew home to California and realized I did not have the rangefinder.  Called the course, someone turned it in and they mailed it to me at their expense.

• Like 2

12* Paradym X

16* SIM2 MAX-D

19* SIM2 MAX-D

24* Paradym super hybrid

- 6~GW '23 Great Big Bertha for regular use

- 6~GW Apex DCB for occasional use 

ChipR

54* Glide 4.0 WS

58* Glide 4.0 EYE2

Scotty GoLo 6

These two courses noted for their honesty should be named so we can play them (or refer them) as a reward.  I had something similar happen to me a couple years ago. I left my Pebble Beach windbreaker in the carts basket at a course and was half way home when I realized what I did.  Since I'm in Maryland it couldn't be easily replaced. I turned around and went back to the course and the cart boy had placed it in their lost items basket.  I referred this honesty to the manager and gave the kid a decent tip. 

• Like 1

Depending on the state in which you reside:

1. Get a visual on shady X prior to theft 

2. Immediately fire a warning shot

3. If you’re not declared town sheriff, you know what to do.. YOU know what to do

Or, keep rangefinder in the golf bag zipper pocket, unless you’re in a cart and on the first tee.. then it goes in the cart cubby. 

I'm fortunate to have never misplaced mine (currently knocking on my wood desk), but I did take a sharpie and write my name / phone number on it just in case that were to ever happen. As far as taking precautions to prevent people from stealing it.... I just put it in the zippered rangefinder pocket in my bag, only take it out for the shot, and then put it right back in the pocket. I know it's not 100% effective but if someone wanted to take it they would at least have to know exactly what pocket to look in, spend time unzipping the pocket, and then reach down into it to grab it. 

I now the OP learned his lesson the hard way, but I feel like just clipping the rangefinder and case onto your bag is similar to setting the empty box from the 70" TV you just bought out on the curb. Might as well hang a sign on your house that says "I have nice things please rob me."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 11:34 PM, jordan2240 said:

Not to hijack this thread for a different subject, but all I'm saying is that, if your course has clear 150 markings, I'm betting most weekend golfers would find that using a rangefinder doesn't help their game all that much.  Reason - we don't hit the ball a consistent enough distance.  Sure, pros and very good golfers would benefit because they can hit the ball more precise distances.  I have a rangefinder, and I haven't completely put it to bed, but I've found recently that it doesn't really benefit me all that much on courses that have clear 150 markings, if at all.

We have clear 150 markers. We also have several raised greens up to 3 clubs deep. RF lets us know front, middle, back with certainty. 

I play off 11 and my yardages are pretty solid.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:27 PM, OBbogey5 said:

Depending on the state in which you reside:

1. Get a visual on shady X prior to theft 

2. Immediately fire a warning shot

3. If you’re not declared town sheriff, you know what to do.. YOU know what to do

Or, keep rangefinder in the golf bag zipper pocket, unless you’re in a cart and on the first tee.. then it goes in the cart cubby. 

I'd personally go with the James Bond briefcase used in From Russia With Love.  

• 2 weeks later...

For those who leave them in carts/at the range/etc...  I did that once (luckily got returned) and since then came up with a way to avoid this in the future.  Once I get to the first tee the range finder comes out of the zippered bag pocket and car keys go immediately in that spot.  Upon completion of round I can't leave the course without keys, so they don't come out until range finder goes back in.  I haven't forgotten it in 5+ years since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

On 3/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, halliedog said:

For those who leave them in carts/at the range/etc...  I did that once (luckily got returned) and since then came up with a way to avoid this in the future.  Once I get to the first tee the range finder comes out of the zippered bag pocket and car keys go immediately in that spot.  Upon completion of round I can't leave the course without keys, so they don't come out until range finder goes back in.  I haven't forgotten it in 5+ years since.

I do the same thing. It works. For a guy that left his entire bag still on the cart and drove home, I have to find ways to help this tired mind out.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

43 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

How did that go down?  At a private club?

yea...walked out of the bar area as i was finishing my burger, so the guy taking it out of my bag.....had to look twice to make sure it was mine.....said "hey what the hell are you doing"?   he didnt say anything.....went in to tell the pro shop manager who actually saw it through his window.....the pro said "is that your club"? and the guy said no....and he admitted trying to steal it since 2 people saw him.   They booted him for life.......we'll see

• Like 1

Lots of shady people happen to play golf.  They cheat too.   I have my Garmin Approach Z82 in its own non-logo carry case clipped on my golf bag.  It has a progressive slid-clip tightened down, so it won't fall out and others can't see what's in the bag. 

You bet your bippy, I keep an eye on my bag.  If I am on the practice green it's kept nearby in my sight line.  But if a thief wants to steal something they will.  Most courses have posted signs they are NOT responsible for bags left unattended.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

It wasn't a rangefinder, but somebody left their smartphone in the cart compartment. It was in a black case jammed way back into the compartment out of sight. The only way I knew it was there was a friend of the person's phone called the number. When I heard the strange ring tone it took me a few seconds to figure things out because it wasn't my phone/tone, and I couldn't see where the sound was coming from. In the end, I called an owner's contact and they got a hold of them. Turned it in to the pro shop, and everything is good!

Edited by hybrid25
  • Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

On 3/25/2021 at 1:45 PM, tsecor said:

yea...walked out of the bar area as i was finishing my burger, so the guy taking it out of my bag.....had to look twice to make sure it was mine.....said "hey what the hell are you doing"?   he didnt say anything.....went in to tell the pro shop manager who actually saw it through his window.....the pro said "is that your club"? and the guy said no....and he admitted trying to steal it since 2 people saw him.   They booted him for life.......we'll see

One of the advantages of being a lefty is no one wants my $%&! 😅

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• 6 months later...

Hi! We have created the solution to this, using your iphone to track and alert you when you are not near your rangefinder! See the link below:

https://www.etsy.com/MagTagGolf/listing/1099928448/hand-stitched-leather-rangefinder-airtag?utm_source=Copy&utm_medium=ListingManager&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lmsm&share_time=1636051034478

On 12/24/2020 at 7:42 PM, EricWGolf said:
  • Step 1: Buy Rangefinder
  • Step 2: Buy Sharpie
  • Step 3: Use Sharpie and write name and phone number directly on Rangefinder in prominent location 
  • Step 4: Keep Rangefinder in zippered bag pocket
  • Step 5: Profit?

This is exceptionally good advice.  I have my name and phone number written all over my rangefinder - it looks like a graffitied wall .  I also have my name on my bag - not because I'm a great golfer, but because I'm a criminal lawyer who has represented thieves multiple times and they all have told me they won't steal stuff that has a name on it - they can't sell it, can't use it, so it's worthless to them.  I also don't use headcovers that come with a club because they are just advertisements to thieves.

Step 5: Profit?  That comes from representing idiots. Steal a $400 rangefinder, pay a lawyer $3,000 to represent you in court.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, halliedog said:

Do something very similar. Its just having some sort of routine and keeping organized in the cart or walking. That being said I have a magnetic pocket on the front of my bag where I keep the keys. So rangefinder comes out of the magnetic pocket,  keys go in, watch and wallet go in the valuables pouch.  If I walk keys will go with the wallet.