Driver for 7yr old boy

Icamp10579

I have a 7yr old boy, he’s been using the us kids ultra light driver. He just started competing at the regional level  and we noticed most of the kids have an adult head on a junior shaft.

They seem to carry further and get more rollout despite similar swing speeds.

Any advice? I’m thinking of getting a Flynn alto shaft cut to his size and getting a prodi g 15 degree head for it.

Any other suggestions? Should I do the same for the woods/hybrid?

His irons are also us kids and he hits them well so sticking with them for now. 

16 hours ago, Icamp10579 said:

I have a 7yr old boy, he’s been using the us kids ultra light driver. He just started competing at the regional level  and we noticed most of the kids have an adult head on a junior shaft.

They seem to carry further and get more rollout despite similar swing speeds.

Any advice? I’m thinking of getting a Flynn alto shaft cut to his size and getting a prodi g 15 degree head for it.

Any other suggestions? Should I do the same for the woods/hybrid?

His irons are also us kids and he hits them well so sticking with them for now. 

I bought my son a Cobra Junior F9 Speedback for his 7th birthday in May to upgrade from the USKG UL 54" driver, and we saw much tighter dispersion with this upgrade.  He is now using the stock shaft it came with the F9 after using it with a Bassara Lite for the first six months he had it.  My son is 53.5"/ 68 lb for reference, low 60s swing speed spiking 65 occasionally.  His swing speed went down a little going to the heavier Cobra driver, and all the weights have been removed from the head.  The cool thing about F9 Junior, aside from the really good quality of the driver, is you get one shaft upgrade through Cobra free.  With the adjustable head (I believe I still have his loft set at 14*), it is truly a driver they can grow into with the help of that shaft upgrade.

The Prodi G driver head is a good one, and my daughter used that driver briefly.  Nice and light shaft, driver has a big sweet spot, but unfortunately the loft is not adjustable.   I highly recommend the Prodi G fairway and hybrid, as my son just inherited his sister's.  They get up in the air easy, offer a lot of room for error and the Prodi G shaft is a good one.  My son went through several hybrids and didn't hit any particularly well until he fell in love with that one.

Edited by MB19

Thank you, I didn’t realize the cobra was adjustable up to 14degrees. That was my concern with moving to an adult head and why I thought the prodi g at 15 degrees might we a good fit for now. He’s a new 7 and only 49” and 53pds with a swing speed of 57-58, low 60’s when he’s swinging well.

That’s why I was thinking the shorter custom alto shaft for now and move it back to the stock prodi g shafts when he grows a few more inches and gains a little more speed. 

If that makes sense? 

4 minutes ago, Icamp10579 said:

Thank you, I didn’t realize the cobra was adjustable up to 14degrees. That was my concern with moving to an adult head and why I thought the prodi g at 15 degrees might we a good fit for now. He’s a new 7 and only 49” and 53pds with a swing speed of 57-58, low 60’s when he’s swinging well.

That’s why I was thinking the shorter custom alto shaft for now and move it back to the stock prodi g shafts when he grows a few more inches and gains a little more speed. 

If that makes sense? 

It makes a ton of sense to put your competitive junior golfer into a shaft that fits him.  He swings hard for a little guy, and would likely benefit a bit from the extra roll-out he would get at either 15* or 14* over the 16* of the UL driver.  My son actually swung the Prodi G driver faster than the F9, possibly due to the slight weight savings in both the shaft and the driver head in the Ping.

Regarding the Flynn Alto shafts, I have no idea how they stack up to the Prodi G but I know a ton of juniors play them.  The grip options from Flynn are a really nice perk, IMO, as well.  My son plays a set of used Velocity irons and wedges I snagged on eBay at an agreeable price, and the upgraded Iomic grips are nice.

5 minutes ago, MB19 said:

It makes a ton of sense to put your competitive junior golfer into a shaft that fits him.  He swings hard for a little guy, and would likely benefit a bit from the extra roll-out he would get at either 15* or 14* over the 16* of the UL driver.  My son actually swung the Prodi G driver faster than the F9, possibly due to the slight weight savings in both the shaft and the driver head in the Ping.

Regarding the Flynn Alto shafts, I have no idea how they stack up to the Prodi G but I know a ton of juniors play them.  The grip options from Flynn are a really nice perk, IMO, as well.  My son plays a set of used Velocity irons and wedges I snagged on eBay at an agreeable price, and the upgraded Iomic grips are nice.

Great info and much appreciated.

I’m definitely going to get the prodi g fairway and hybrid and give them a try,  in addition to the driver I already got. I found the driver used on eBay fairly inexpensive so that was a no brainer. I think I’ll go with the alto shafts using uskg sizing chart for length for now, maybe a half inch up so he can grow into them this spring. He thinks the red shaft with red grips look cool, feel good play good. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put my kid in an adult head at 9 and wish I never would have.  While it gave him better immediate results, he swung the heavier club slower which hurt his overall swing speed development down the road.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

It doesn't matter for a 7 year old.   The distances are short anyways. They could hit a 7 iron off the tee if they wanted to and probably go farther than other kids who can't hit the ball strait.

If you hate junior clubs go out and buy a ladies driver and let them hit it.  Don't worry trying to get a perfect fit at this age stuff changes way too much.

Buy a Junior set of clubs and go out and have fun. At that age you do not even need a full set of clubs.  I also worried about the driver far too much at young age for my kids it is waste of time.

Spend the money on a nice putter that what wins tournaments at that age anyways.

Edited by tiger1873