2021 Callaway Epic Speed Max - Leaked Photo

8 hours ago, cardia10 said:

So basically it is the same as the Taylor Made or pick any other OEM concept, add colors, bells, whistles, BS marketing add ons and $50 with no discernable difference in distance or performance. I think we all know by now, unless you have access to tour quality launch monitors and tools, us mortals can't maximize all this anyway. Mute the sound one year, make it pop another. Makes us think it is something unique and different while nothing really changes. If these new drivers every year, or multiple drivers a year were that different, the pros would play the best performing instead of what they are contractually required to play. Heck, half of them are playing "tour" heads that most of us have to pay double just to put our hands on tour van rejects. Marketing is a wonderful thing. These "leaked" pics are them sending them to every club pro weeks early so they can tout them to their membership prior to public release. I can't fault them for trying, but I don't usually buy into the BS. 

As I said "One might argue that all the upgrades amount to little upgrade in the way of performance" Like you just did. 

Callaway Paradym 9* (N/+1) GD Tour AD DI 5/ Epic Speed 9* (N/+1) Ventus Red VeloCore 5
Callaway Epic Speed 15* 3wd Fubuki Ax f65 

Callaway Epic Max 18* 5wd Fubuki Ax f75  
Callaway Rogue ST Pro hybrid 23* KBS Prototype 75 or Apex UT 24* KBS Prototype 85
Callaway Mavrik Pro KBS TGI 6-PW 
Callaway MD3 46*/8* & 50*/10* 
Callaway Jaws Raw 54*/10*S & 58*/8*Z grind 
Odyssey Two Ball Ten Tour Lined Limited Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Flatso 1.0 or

Odyssey 5k Tri Hot #2 Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Pistol Tour

On 1/4/2021 at 6:02 PM, jgolf215 said:

GBB Epic introduced the Jailbreak technology. Rogue came next where they redesigned the bars to be lighter and Rogue was much more forgiving as advertised. Epic Flash introduced the AI face. More ball speed on center & off center strikes. Mavrik was the Rogue moving forward. Next generation AI face and drastically improved acoustics. Looks here like Epic Speed/Max introduces the next generation of Jailbreak, along with much needed improvement in acoustics for the Epic line by way of those ridges on the back right. Two driver families updating in alternate years. XR16/Rogue/Mavrik and GBB Epic/ Epic Flash/Epic Speed/Max. Notable technological upgrades in each iteration of each line. One might argue that all the upgrades amount to little upgrade in the way of performance. That's if you're only looking at it in terms of raw distance. However improvements have been made, depending on preference, in shape, color and sound/feel. But each driver differs in the ways I listed. 

They're going to be making little changes each year and try to pass them off as improvements as if they just keep advancing forever. This is great:

On 1/5/2021 at 5:45 AM, cardia10 said:

Mute the sound one year, make it pop another.

Which is fine.  People fall for it, so they continue to do it. (I love "improved color" you mention).

What I think is funny is that they have 2 separate brand names/models with no consumer difference. It's like the new driver in odd years are Epic, even years it's Mavrik/Rogue, etc. There's no segmentation "for elite players" or "for recreational players." If I'm standing in front of an Epic and a Rogue at PGATSS, I have NO idea which one to buy. 

I'm a marketing guy and I dont even understand it. Maybe so that left-overs in subsequent years can become cheaper entry models without hurting the one brand?

48 minutes ago, bsoudi said:

They're going to be making little changes each year and try to pass them off as improvements as if they just keep advancing forever. This is great:

Which is fine.  People fall for it, so they continue to do it. (I love "improved color" you mention).

What I think is funny is that they have 2 separate brand names/models with no consumer difference. It's like the new driver in odd years are Epic, even years it's Mavrik/Rogue, etc. There's no segmentation "for elite players" or "for recreational players." If I'm standing in front of an Epic and a Rogue at PGATSS, I have NO idea which one to buy. 

I'm a marketing guy and I dont even understand it. Maybe so that left-overs in subsequent years can become cheaper entry models without hurting the one brand?

The days of “players driver” vs “high handicap driver” are over with the exception of clubs like Titleist TSi4. So when you stand in front of a rack of drivers you have a plethora of choice but the club you buy should be the club that performs best for you via a comprehensive fitting session.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

1 hour ago, bsoudi said:

I’ve always thought it was basically a strategy to release an entire new line yearly with the appearance of a two year cycle. In reality their releases are just as frequent as TaylorMade but they can pretend each one has a two year cycle. 
I don’t mind though yearly releases are good with me

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bsoudi said:

How is Callaway any different than TM, Ping, or Titleist ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

8 hours ago, bsoudi said:

I would agree, especially when the XR16 moved into the Rogue line. Prior to that, Callaway had their flagship driver being composite and an all titanium model at a cheaper price point.

Now, both models are very similar. The only distinction being the Epic line having the sliding weight track. 

Callaway Paradym 9* (N/+1) GD Tour AD DI 5/ Epic Speed 9* (N/+1) Ventus Red VeloCore 5
Callaway Epic Speed 15* 3wd Fubuki Ax f65 

Callaway Epic Max 18* 5wd Fubuki Ax f75  
Callaway Rogue ST Pro hybrid 23* KBS Prototype 75 or Apex UT 24* KBS Prototype 85
Callaway Mavrik Pro KBS TGI 6-PW 
Callaway MD3 46*/8* & 50*/10* 
Callaway Jaws Raw 54*/10*S & 58*/8*Z grind 
Odyssey Two Ball Ten Tour Lined Limited Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Flatso 1.0 or

Odyssey 5k Tri Hot #2 Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Pistol Tour

On 1/6/2021 at 9:32 PM, nsxguy said:

How is Callaway any different than TM, Ping, or Titleist ?

I assume you mean besides the fact that Callaway just released new drivers in September, and Ping hasn't released anything since February 2019?

Because that's the difference.

Titleist TSR2 9* Tensei Blue

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

8 minutes ago, Celeras said:

I assume you mean besides the fact that Callaway just released new drivers in September, and Ping hasn't released anything since February 2019?

Ping also released G425 woods in Fall 2020 just not in North America. 

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

8 hours ago, Celeras said:

You mean the B21 which is aimed at a completely different group then the Mavrik or the new Epic drivers? 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Has anyone hit the fairways yet? Seems a few have been lucky enough to hit the driver....

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

9 hours ago, Celeras said:

Ouch. Sorry to have ruffled your Pin(g) feathers. I like Ping too. :classic_smile:

OK, so make it TM, Titleist and Cobra,,,,,,,, 👍

• Haha 1

Titleist Pro V1X

Staffer I play with got his Speed this week.   Hit it today.  Nice. Really good looking head. Very much like mavrik at address except no Orange.     Biggest difference I saw or heard was the sound.  It has a noticeable Ting like titleist.  Where mavrik has a muted thwack to my ear.  

• Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Staffer I play with got his Speed this week.   Hit it today.  Nice. Really good looking head. Very much like mavrik at address except no Orange.     Biggest difference I saw or heard was the sound.  It has a noticeable Ting like titleist.  Where mavrik has a muted thwack to my ear.  

Does the speed look any smaller than your mavrik?  Does it seem to neutral flighted?  

1 minute ago, SwooshLT said:

Does the speed look any smaller than your mavrik?  Does it seem to neutral flighted?  

It’s my understanding the cyclone shape has been refined for better aerodynamics and the overall footprint is a touch deeper (like a couple mm) front to back. 

• Thanks 1

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

On 1/8/2021 at 11:02 AM, ephmen said:
20 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

21 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Yes in a way.  I wish now I’d took side by side pics.   It’s just a round shape that has a hint of looking smaller.  You’d never notice it  without them side by side.  Very faint.  

flight was neutral.  I hit a draw And fade with it. Same as mavrik for me.   I’d have to spend some time with it with my preference shaft to see if there’s any spin etc difference. I hit it with the RDX  black.  

• Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

15 hours ago, bladehunter said:

:classic_laugh:

Only thing I liked about Mavrik was that "muted thwack".

Maybe it's an Epic "thing" ? 51683a_cd84c05761974e119b407e0c7eed70ce~

Epic Flash is loud. Not sure I'd call it a "ting" though but I confess I can't think of a better word to describe it.

Not nearly as loud as the L4V or Sumo though. shocked.gif

Epic Flash Triple Diamond is more muted though, kinda like Mavrik.

• Haha 1

Titleist Pro V1X