KBS C-Taper 120S vs 125S+

I have been playing 120S for a long time. I’ve tried other shafts like the Modus 120S , gave graphite shafts a try, but always came back to the trusty CTaper 120S. I like the feel more than anything else, but they are very consistent all around. I have plenty of good distance with my irons (EPON AF Tour CBs). I have always been curious to try the C-Tapers 125 S+. Anyone have experience with both? 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set of MP5’s with the 125’s and a set of MP15’s with the 120’s.  The 125’s produced a lower flight and touch less spin for my swing.  The difference between the s and s+ was pretty negligible for me. 

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

To put the S+ in perspective Rickie Fowler and and Woodland used to hit those. So unless you load it like them with freakish speed and a fast transition its way too much shaft. I used to hit the cTaper 120’s and then got fit and I picked up 14 yards with a 6 iron and dispersion and consistency got way better. That’s why no one on tour hits the cTaper is they are too boardy. I went to the modus 120 stiff and I have a driver swing speed around 112 and a +4 handicap. The best way to know for sure is get fit by someone really good. 

2 hours ago, Nofehr00 said:

To put the S+ in perspective Rickie Fowler and and Woodland used to hit those. So unless you load it like them with freakish speed and a fast transition its way too much shaft. I used to hit the cTaper 120’s and then got fit and I picked up 14 yards with a 6 iron and dispersion and consistency got way better. That’s why no one on tour hits the cTaper is they are too boardy. I went to the modus 120 stiff and I have a driver swing speed around 112 and a +4 handicap. The best way to know for sure is get fit by someone really good. 

Yep you’re a better handicap than me but similar in the driver swing speed,  last year I was at 115-117 if I tried to murder it.   I absolutely hated the modus shafts.  They only made it one range session before I pulled all of them 

Edited by Phabs

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

I play the 125s+ with no issues at all. I don't think you need freakish speed to play them, it's all about how the shaft fits you. I'm around 95-98mph with a 6 iron and I load them just fine. I was playing Project X LZ's before and they weren't a good fit for me. Driver swing around 112-114 with a medium transition. If you can, obviously get fit. A place with the mizuno optimizer is recommended. It actually recommended Ctaper 130x as one of my fits along with LZ 6.5 and DGx100. Tried them all and settled on Ctaper, going down to 125 really helped me. I would say, whatever you play flex wise in other shafts, i would go down a flex in the Ctapers. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max - Accra TZ5 75 M5

3 Wood:  Taylormade SIM Ti - Accra TZ6 85 M5

Hybrid:  Taylormade DHY - Diamana Thump 100x

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-PW  - KBS C Taper 125S+

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 51/10, 56/12, 60/10 - KBS 610 125S+

Putter: TM Spider X Chalk 

14 hours ago, Phabs said:

I have a set of MP5’s with the 125’s and a set of MP15’s with the 120’s.  The 125’s produced a lower flight and touch less spin for my swing.  The difference between the s and s+ was pretty negligible for me. 

Lower flight and less spin is music to my ears!! Thanks for the feedback!

11 hours ago, ScottHutch2 said:

I play the 125s+ with no issues at all. I don't think you need freakish speed to play them, it's all about how the shaft fits you. I'm around 95-98mph with a 6 iron and I load them just fine. I was playing Project X LZ's before and they weren't a good fit for me. Driver swing around 112-114 with a medium transition. If you can, obviously get fit. A place with the mizuno optimizer is recommended. It actually recommended Ctaper 130x as one of my fits along with LZ 6.5 and DGx100. Tried them all and settled on Ctaper, going down to 125 really helped me. I would say, whatever you play flex wise in other shafts, i would go down a flex in the Ctapers. 

1 minute ago, Mauricio Esquino said:

Lower flight and less spin is music to my ears!! Thanks for the feedback!

11 hours ago, ScottHutch2 said:

I feel I definitely load up well with my irons so the 125’s sound like something I should give a try, thanks!!

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 8:25 PM, Nofehr00 said:

To put the S+ in perspective Rickie Fowler and and Woodland used to hit those. So unless you load it like them with freakish speed and a fast transition its way too much shaft. I used to hit the cTaper 120’s and then got fit and I picked up 14 yards with a 6 iron and dispersion and consistency got way better. That’s why no one on tour hits the cTapeIr is they are too boardy. I went to the modus 120 stiff and I have a driver swing speed around 112 and a +4 handicap. The best way to know for sure is get fit by someone really good. 

I am trying to figure out if my persistent draw is due to the shafts or the different heads.  I have a C-taper S+ 125 on my Srixon heads and a DG120 x100 on my Mizuno heads.  I draw everything on the C-tapers and can't figure out why.  Perhaps it is a timing issue to shaft loading.  I thought perhaps they were too soft but it doesn't sound like that is the case.  I don't know my SS but my driver is 290-320 (w/rollout), so likely a 115-ish speed.  

Thoughts?  I really like the Z585 Srixon heads: super forgiving, huge sweet spot.  I hit 2 greens today on a 195-yard par 3 which was playing up a club due to headwind; my 5-iron with these is easy to hit and carries exactly 210.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2020 at 9:46 PM, ScottHutch2 said:

I have been playing the C-Taper 125 S+ for two months now and I like them very much, as posted by some it reduced mi flight with my shorter irons which is great for me and have been lowering my spin a bit which in my case is also good. I have read that the X7 feels smoother, which is probably something that can be better than the CT. Has anybody compared these two?