Jump to content

New TP5 and TP5X for 2021


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TXG’s review:     TL;DW: new X is softer and spins a little more

I posted this in the "TM not SIM" thread in the tour forum, but thought I'd post here too. Morikawa has the new TP5 in play. Nice shot of the side stamp from Getty.  

Pre-2014 TaylorMade? Yes. Current TaylorMade? No chance.

Posted Images

My TP5 pre-order arrived today, but TP5x have not shipped yet. Looking forward to some TrackMan sessions once I have them both. I've played TP5 for the past two seasons, but was a huge fan of the original TP5x. Hoping the new TP5x is as good as has been claimed.

 

IMG_9524.jpg.222ee2b2701871a2d1c32a6e3a708d35.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade SIM2 8.0, Tensei 1K White 60TX, 45"
TaylorMade SIM2 Rocket 3, HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"
TaylorMade P790 UDI (2019), Tensei CK Pro White Hybrid 90TX, 40"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2019), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P770 4 (2020), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC 5-9, DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7TW PW, DG X100 (SSx2)
TaylorMade MG raw 52, raw Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it seem to anyone else the TP5X may be delayed?  Supposed to release this Friday and no shipping yet when I ordered the day they opened up.  I really hope not, would love to being them to Florida Sunday . 

SIM 8.0 w/ HZRDUS Blue RDX
SIM Rocket 3 wood 
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
TM MG 50 
Hi Toe 54/58
Tour Spider X 
TP5X pix
TMAG Tour Preferred Locker

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I swung up to the local crack house (aka PGA Superstore) to buy the new ball and put some of the new TP5x's into play yesterday.  All positive changes from the prior model - best change I noticed was 1) how well it cut through wind, especially side wind and 2) the feel off the wedges and putter was improved.  

How was the green side spin and spin on full wedges?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, toddmanley said:

Good, but I wasn't zipping balls back by any means.  More of a stop'n'drop with a yard or two of rollout.

Kinda concerning for this time of season. Where are you playing and how hard are the greens?

TSi3 9° Tensei White Prototype 2.0 TX
Epic Flash SZ 15° Kai'li x
Epic Flash 3H 19° Evenflow Black 6.5
i210 4-G Modus3 120x
Glide 3.0 54°/60° Modus3 120x
2 Ball Ten

V1X, CSX-LS, who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Kinda concerning for this time of season. Where are you playing and how hard are the greens?

Playing Cinnabar in San Jose, CA. Greens are super firm and fast. Played the TP5x again today and had a better ball striking day with approach shots. Had several 7-9 iron shots land and roll out ~8-10 feet. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toddmanley said:

Playing Cinnabar in San Jose, CA. Greens are super firm and fast. Played the TP5x again today and had a better ball striking day with approach shots. Had several 7-9 iron shots land and roll out ~8-10 feet. 


Is that normal for your course; and is it better / worse tram ‘normal’ ?

 

Did you by any chance try another other ball to compare to ?

Regards - 'Shuv"

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you be able to compare putter feel to last version (and 2017 if possible)? I feel like last version TP5x was extremely firm and a little jumpy off the putter, but not necessarily clicky.

Callaway Fusion 9* - Tensei Blue 65S / Callaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi S / Callaway Rogue X 18 - Synergy 60 S / Callaway Rogue 4, 6-PW - TT XP95 S / Callaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300 / Odyssey Rossie Metal X Milled / Snell MTB Black

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have an idea when TM will be allowing custom orders for the new TP5X? Looking to get a case of my number and business logo, just trying to get an idea on how long it’ll be before they let retailers place special orders. 

  • Like 1

Titleist TS3 KuroKage XT60 TX
Titleist TS3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.5

Mizuno MP20 HMB 18* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 50/9
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 54/11
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 58/11
TaylorMade Spider Tour X Chalk 33"
TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, golf_addict73 said:

Anyone have an idea when TM will be allowing custom orders for the new TP5X? Looking to get a case of my number and business logo, just trying to get an idea on how long it’ll be before they let retailers place special orders. 

It’s already available. Just ordered 6 dozen custom myself 

  • Like 1

SIM 8.0 w/ HZRDUS Blue RDX
SIM Rocket 3 wood 
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
TM MG 50 
Hi Toe 54/58
Tour Spider X 
TP5X pix
TMAG Tour Preferred Locker

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KC4441 said:

It’s already available. Just ordered 6 dozen custom myself 

I know I saw it on the website for number and their stock images. Wasn’t sure about the true custom orders. 
 

I’ll get up with my buddy and see if he can put the order in tomorrow. 

Titleist TS3 KuroKage XT60 TX
Titleist TS3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.5

Mizuno MP20 HMB 18* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 50/9
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 54/11
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 58/11
TaylorMade Spider Tour X Chalk 33"
TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2021 at 7:08 PM, KC4441 said:

It’s already available. Just ordered 6 dozen custom myself 

Got my order in yesterday for my custom number and business logo. Not sure the timeframe, but looking forward to the new X for sure. 

  • Like 1

Titleist TS3 KuroKage XT60 TX
Titleist TS3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.5

Mizuno MP20 HMB 18* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 50/9
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 54/11
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 58/11
TaylorMade Spider Tour X Chalk 33"
TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2021 at 6:48 PM, c50sooner said:

Would you be able to compare putter feel to last version (and 2017 if possible)? I feel like last version TP5x was extremely firm and a little jumpy off the putter, but not necessarily clicky.

The new model feels quite a bit softer off the putter than the previous version.  I'd say it actually feels a little bit softer than the new Pro V1x.  Taylormade definitely seems to have a winner here.  

  • Like 3

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been playing the left dash Prov since it came out, probably over 150 rounds with that ball. I recently tested the new TP5x on gc quad and after a couple of sessions, I’m very impressed. Spin is up on all clubs which is a good thing to me and carry yardage is the same if not better across everything except maybe driver where yardage is relatively the same. Ball speed is up a hair on everything and dispersion is better than the left dash. Haven’t played outside with it yet and still a few weeks from doing that but color me curious. I’ll be continuing to test it in the simulator and then hopefully get to put it in play next weekend for the real test. Taylormade definitely has a winner here though. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, StillCantPutt said:

I’ve been playing the left dash Prov since it came out, probably over 150 rounds with that ball. I recently tested the new TP5x on gc quad and after a couple of sessions, I’m very impressed. Spin is up on all clubs which is a good thing to me and carry yardage is the same if not better across everything except maybe driver where yardage is relatively the same. Ball speed is up a hair on everything and dispersion is better than the left dash. Haven’t played outside with it yet and still a few weeks from doing that but color me curious. I’ll be continuing to test it in the simulator and then hopefully get to put it in play next weekend for the real test. Taylormade definitely has a winner here though. 


Thanks for your early thoughts.

 

Still very high on my radar too.

 

Yellow TP5X not released until Mid April in the U.K. And no golf until COVID restrictions start getting lifted on March 29th anyway....


But I’ll be trying as soon as I’m able !

 

Regards - 'Shuv"

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been a diehard loyal TM ball guy for years now, and I have always found the TP5Xs to outperform the others, and Ive done all kinds of testing, but I am not a fan of the new 2021 TP5Xs.  I put them in play today and had my worst round in over a year.  It spins waaaaaay too much off the long clubs, so tiny mishits were exacerbated.  It was windy and although it penetrated well into the wind, if there was a side wind and a slight toe or heel, forgetaboutit.  I noticed slightly more spin on wedge approaches, but were talking very minor, and nowhere near enough to justify the excessive increase in spin on the rest of the clubs.  Usually with the '19 TP5Xs, I get drop and bounce once with 1-3 yds roll.  The '21 Xs were .5-2.  

 

The excessive spin was most evident off the driver face.  My playing partners were shocked to see slight toe hits fading off into the schmutz multiple times today when they usually are right side of the fairway playable for me.  Luckily I had some old '19 balls in my trunk, so I ran out at the turn and saved about 7 shots on the back using one of my old '19 TP5Xs.

 

To each their own obviously, but that was my one and down experience.  FWIW, Im a high spin player to begin with, so I seek out the lowest spinning urethane balls with just the minimal amount of spin necessary to bite on short game shots (the most important variable to me is how little they spin of long clubs and driver). My driver SS is ~114. This iteration of these balls are NOT for players like me, in my opinion.  I kinda feel like TM is trying to increase its market by widening the audience to take more chrome soft users by adding so much spin.  Guys who want more spin will probably like this year's X better than the previous.  Thats my $.02.  Sad too, because I was very pumped for these.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shockandawe said:

Ive been a diehard loyal TM ball guy for years now, and I have always found the TP5Xs to outperform the others, and Ive done all kinds of testing, but I am not a fan of the new 2021 TP5Xs.  I put them in play today and had my worst round in over a year.  It spins waaaaaay too much off the long clubs, so tiny mishits were exacerbated.  It was windy and although it penetrated well into the wind, if there was a side wind and a slight toe or heel, forgetaboutit.  I noticed slightly more spin on wedge approaches, but were talking very minor, and nowhere near enough to justify the excessive increase in spin on the rest of the clubs.  Usually with the '19 TP5Xs, I get drop and bounce once with 1-3 yds roll.  The '21 Xs were .5-2.  

 

The excessive spin was most evident off the driver face.  My playing partners were shocked to see slight toe hits fading off into the schmutz multiple times today when they usually are right side of the fairway playable for me.  Luckily I had some old '19 balls in my trunk, so I ran out at the turn and saved about 7 shots on the back using one of my old '19 TP5Xs.

 

To each their own obviously, but that was my one and down experience.  FWIW, Im a high spin player to begin with, so I seek out the lowest spinning urethane balls with just the minimal amount of spin necessary to bite on short game shots (the most important variable to me is how little they spin of long clubs and driver). My driver SS is ~114. This iteration of these balls are NOT for players like me, in my opinion.  I kinda feel like TM is trying to increase its market by widening the audience to take more chrome soft users by adding so much spin.  Guys who want more spin will probably like this year's X better than the previous.  Thats my $.02.  Sad too, because I was very pumped for these.

 

Your experience is very much what the TXG guys cited in their review... basically that a subset of players that loved the '19 TP5x's would not like the '21 model. It sounds like you might be a candidate for the ProV1 Left Dash.

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi2 11.0 degrees w/ Accra Tour Z TZ6 55 M4

Fairway 1: Titleist TS2 16.5 degrees w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 60 stiff

Fairway 2: Titleist TSi2 18 degrees w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 60 stiff
Hybrid 1: Titleist TSi2 21 degrees w/ Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec 7R

Hybrid 2: Titleist TSi2 24 degrees w/ Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec 7R
Irons: PXG 0311XF Gen 2 (6-GW) w/ True Temper XP95
Wedges: Vokey SM8 54.12D w/ True Temper XP95 and 58.12D w/ True Temper XP95

Putter: 2018 Scotty Cameron Squareback @ 34"
Ball: TaylorMade TP5x

Bag: Vessel Player III Stand

Link to post
Share on other sites

The '21 TP5X might just be the perfect ball (for me). It spins perfectly off of every club and it's softer than the last X, which I thought was too hard. Durability is exceptional as well. I'm sold.

  • Like 1

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, UNDY24 said:

 

Your experience is very much what the TXG guys cited in their review... basically that a subset of players that loved the '19 TP5x's would not like the '21 model. It sounds like you might be a candidate for the ProV1 Left Dash.

You're right.  I watched the review after I posted and I was like yup, that sounds like me! lol  They were much more diplomatic about it in their review, as they usually are.  Also, his swing is muuuuch more consistent than mine, so the spin outliers that I sometimes see on mishits arent an issue for him, and didnt show up in his numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointing that the new version seems to have lost the characteristics that made it unique to other options in the market 

  • Like 1

TM SIM 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

TM SIM 14.25* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 510U 3i KBS Hybrid Prototype 95x
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6i, MP20 MMC 7-P Oban CT 115x 
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* Modus 125 Wedge
TM Spider X Navy
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aph2011 said:

Disappointing that the new version seems to have lost the characteristics that made it unique to other options in the market 


You've obviously done some testing.....

 

Can you share your thoughts / findings ?

Regards - 'Shuv"

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sevenfourate said:


You've obviously done some testing.....

 

Can you share your thoughts / findings ?

I switched to the TP5x in ‘17 when Titleist muddied the waters (imo) on the Pro V1 line, and used the ‘19 TP5x for same reason. I found it to be more stable in the wind, a bit longer off the tee, and I preferred the reduced spin through the mid irons even if I maybe would’ve preferred a bit more green side grab. 
 

I tested the LD and switched bc I found it did everything the TP5x did and was a little better around the greens (plus comfortable of the consistency of quality from Titleist given their mfc capability). When I tried the ‘21 TP5x, the fixed the green side spin issue, but in turn moved the ball overall towards the V1x rather than the LD scale in performance through the middle of the bag, and I didn’t love that. 

TM SIM 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

TM SIM 14.25* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 510U 3i KBS Hybrid Prototype 95x
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6i, MP20 MMC 7-P Oban CT 115x 
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* Modus 125 Wedge
TM Spider X Navy
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 3M Open - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #4
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #5
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #6
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #7
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #1
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #2
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #3
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #4
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #5
       
       
       
      TaylorMade MG3 wedges - 2021 3M Open
      Mizuno 225 2 iron - 2021 3M Open
      TaylorMade Mini Driver - 2021 3M Open
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 3M Open
      New Odyssey putter cover - 2021 3M Open
      Bettinardi wedges - 2021 3M Open
      Rypstick training aid - 2021 3M Open
      Bettinardi putters and covers - 2021 3M Open
      Kuch putting right armlock - 2021 3M Open
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 12 replies
    • 2021 TPC Colorado Champ. @ Heron Lakes WITB Photos- Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here...
       
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #1
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #2
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #3
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #4
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #5
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #6
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #7
       
      Titleist T200 2& 3 irons - 2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes
       

       

       
      • 16 replies
    • 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos- Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here.
       
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #1
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #2
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #3
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #4
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #5
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic
       

       
       
       
       
      • 15 replies
    • 2021 Travelers Championship - Discussion & Links
      2021 Titleist T100 irons (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      2021 Titleist T100S irons (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      2021 Titleist U 505 (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      Mitsubishi Tensei K series (red, white & blue US Open) shaft - 2021 Travelers Championship
       
      Rickie Fowler's custom Cameron putters - 2021 Travelers Championship
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 Travelers Championship
       
      2021 Travelers Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Travelers Championship - Tuesday #2
       
      • 20 replies
    • Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Discussion and Links
      Please put any question or comments here.
       
      Links to the galleries...
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       


       
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       

       
        • Like
      • 4 replies

×
×
  • Create New...