2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New TP5 and TP5X for 2021

SSP217

4 hours ago, aph2011 said:

I switched to the TP5x in ‘17 when Titleist muddied the waters (imo) on the Pro V1 line, and used the ‘19 TP5x for same reason. I found it to be more stable in the wind, a bit longer off the tee, and I preferred the reduced spin through the mid irons even if I maybe would’ve preferred a bit more green side grab. 

I tested the LD and switched bc I found it did everything the TP5x did and was a little better around the greens (plus comfortable of the consistency of quality from Titleist given their mfc capability). When I tried the ‘21 TP5x, the fixed the green side spin issue, but in turn moved the ball overall towards the V1x rather than the LD scale in performance through the middle of the bag, and I didn’t love that. 

VERY interesting Thankyou.

I’m a staunch TM ball guy. But last version of the TP5 was really spinny. X version was clearly less so - but ‘horrid’ 30 yards and in.

I’m 110mph driver SS kinda guy; and fairly high spin. Not used any other ball brand for 5 years or more. 

I was set on using the new TP5-X this year - until I’ve now read a few reviews like yours. The extra green side spin is awesome. The fact it’s morphed / morphing into the stock TP5 elsewhere in order to do that: sucks..

Debating now trying the new Tour B X or.....(?) 

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

1 hour ago, sevenfourate said:

VERY interesting Thankyou.

I’m a staunch TM ball guy. But last version of the TP5 was really spinny. X version was clearly less so - but ‘horrid’ 30 yards and in.

I’m 110mph driver SS kinda guy; and fairly high spin. Not used any other ball brand for 5 years or more. 

I was set on using the new TP5-X this year - until I’ve now read a few reviews like yours. The extra green side spin is awesome. The fact it’s morphed / morphing into the stock TP5 elsewhere in order to do that: sucks..

Debating now trying the new Tour B X or.....(?) 

Pro V1x LD aren’t sold as broadly, so tougher to just get a sleeve to test out, but I’ve really liked that ball and think it’s worth trying alongside the Tour BX as potential alternatives to the ‘21 TP5x 

• Thanks 1

TM SIM 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

TM SIM 14.25* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 510U 3i KBS Hybrid Prototype 95x
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6i, MP20 MMC 7-P Oban CT 115x 
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* Modus 125 Wedge
TM Spider X Navy

On 3/24/2021 at 8:55 AM, aph2011 said:

I switched to the TP5x in ‘17 when Titleist muddied the waters (imo) on the Pro V1 line, and used the ‘19 TP5x for same reason. I found it to be more stable in the wind, a bit longer off the tee, and I preferred the reduced spin through the mid irons even if I maybe would’ve preferred a bit more green side grab. 

I tested the LD and switched bc I found it did everything the TP5x did and was a little better around the greens (plus comfortable of the consistency of quality from Titleist given their mfc capability). When I tried the ‘21 TP5x, the fixed the green side spin issue, but in turn moved the ball overall towards the V1x rather than the LD scale in performance through the middle of the bag, and I didn’t love that. 

Agreed with all of the above.   Have you tried the Cally Low spin CS yet?  Or why not just stick with the '19?  I tried the LS CS last wknd and I felt like it was the same story as the '21 TP5X: too spinny and lacked hold the line integrity in the middle of the bag.  I have concluded that nothing beats the '19 TP5X....yet.  

On that note, I havent tried the Prov1 LD.  Can you compare that to the '19 TP5X?  I dont need or want more spin.  I was a urethane ball with the least amount of spin possible.  I also dont care abt this silly concept people talk about with the word "feel."  Who cares how it feels for the .05 secs its on the clubface if it performs?!   

2 hours ago, Shockandawe said:

Agreed with all of the above.   Have you tried the Cally Low spin CS yet?  Or why not just stick with the '19?  I tried the LS CS last wknd and I felt like it was the same story as the '21 TP5X: too spinny and lacked hold the line integrity in the middle of the bag.  I have concluded that nothing beats the '19 TP5X....yet.  

On that note, I havent tried the Prov1 LD.  Can you compare that to the '19 TP5X?  I dont need or want more spin.  I was a urethane ball with the least amount of spin possible.  I also dont care abt this silly concept people talk about with the word "feel."  Who cares how it feels for the .05 secs its on the clubface if it performs?!   

I’ve always felt the same way about “feel” personally. I switched to the LD because I felt that it gave me similar long game characteristics (spin and performance in cross winds) to the ‘19 TP5x, but spins a bit more around the greens for me which I liked. 

I haven’t tried the CS low spin ball yet, sorry I can’t help there. I’ve just never been a fan of their balls. 

TM SIM 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

TM SIM 14.25* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 510U 3i KBS Hybrid Prototype 95x
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6i, MP20 MMC 7-P Oban CT 115x 
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* Modus 125 Wedge
TM Spider X Navy

• 3 weeks later...

Release date in the UK today - for the Yellow versions  😍 Ordered mine online.....should be here very soon.

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on the new models durability - compared to the outgoing version........

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 11:06 PM, jshel said:

Anybody else finding the 21 TP5x to shred way more than the 19 version. 

Or do I just suck more than ever?

I came here to say this but about the tp5. I opened a box yesterday and on the first tee noticed a crack in the cover half way around the ball. Checked the others and they were fine but then during the round I had to change my ball 3 or 4 times due to the cover shredding more then I ever saw with last years version

1 hour ago, nfreda2211 said:

I came here to say this but about the tp5. I opened a box yesterday and on the first tee noticed a crack in the cover half way around the ball. Checked the others and they were fine but then during the round I had to change my ball 3 or 4 times due to the cover shredding more then I ever saw with last years version

Not sure what to say other than ‘wow’.

That’s shocking. Can only hope it’s an isolated quality control issue 🙄

I’ve been a staunch TM ball guy since 2006. The TP Red LDP was truly a ground-breaking ball for me. No ballooning, low spin on the long stuff. And spun like a top close in. As big of a game changer as any equipment upgrades / fine tuning. For me. 

And the TM golf-ball love affair has continued pretty much. I’m an ex Pro, currently don’t have an official handicap - likely around scratch; and held a U.K. plus handicap for many years recently. Approx 110mph s/speed these days and a ball striker. But: approaching 50 I do like the visuals that Yellow ammunition offers.

Last year i split my choice between TP5 and the X version. Durability of the stock 5 wasn’t too bad. (Although it was short / high spin for me - particularly on irons). The TP5X was more like it with the long stuff. But of course was a bit firm around the greens. And durability wasn’t great - with the white urethane cover under the yellow paint showing through pretty dammed sharpish !

So: I was HUGELY looking forward the the release of the Yellow TP5X in the U.K. earlier this month. And snagged a dozen as soon as humanly possible….

Today was the first outing. Rained here - so after it had cleared we decided to give the main course a miss and head for our Par 3 course.  Likely a good test for this balls supposed extra durability (Now Yellow urethane cover under the yellow paint), potential short game improvements with the extra spin / softer feel etc.

**And after 18 holes let’s say I’m ‘grossly disappointed. Mostly.

Weather has been great here this week. And the course in general - and greens obviously - have firmed up. The perfect ball test therefore !

And performance wise I definitely think it’s a level up from the 2019 version(s). Half a club or more longer than the old version TP5 (What I can mostly compare to) for sure. Feel around the greens is definitely a notch softer than the 2019 TP5X - which was too firm for me / the courses I play. And this 2021 version span / gripped like an absolute gem for me. One bounce and stop on the spot. Perfect for me and the way I like to work close in.

But…..And it’s a big but. A huge ‘but’ infact ! Durability was no better. I’ve got 10 (?) year old;  favourite irons. And my wedges aren’t far behind age-wise. So far from fresh grooves. But from the first full wedge struck:  it looked obvious how this was going to play out.

Two of the pictures (bottom) show solitary strikes with shortish irons. One (top) pic clearly shows cumulative wear in one spot; from the ball being aligned on the tee box. And it was like that on both opposite poles.

2021 Performance so far 9/10.

2021 Durabilty so far 6.5/10.

Im afraid to say TM ball designers; I will be trying the Callaway Chrome-soft X LS when it’s available ‘over here’ In plain yellow. I’m not overly fussy over the odd mark. And can / will / have played a single ball for 36 holes with no issue. But I very much doubt I’d start a second round with this version of your ball from my initial findings. The cover damage would / was that bad. And you’d have to imagine - performance degrading.

A real shame because it’s shear (**sic) performance in its own right is mighty fine.

7939FE94-6957-4ED0-9C97-B804E5D0725C.jpeg

B17FDFAC-4729-4C66-95C3-E4E5BAD23BE5.jpeg

475EA3F6-C4B4-4EAB-9DEF-DBE96C98DB62.jpeg

Edited by sevenfourate
Spelling !

I’m addition to the above:

9 holes on the main course this morning. Finished with 2 birdies for -1 gross. So good Golf. While my first review may have been too long - I can sum it up easily:

Impressive performance. Shocking (Is any premium ball worse ?) durability at that supposed technology level / price point.

**Trouble is; needing a Yellow ball with these traits - whats next ? 🙅‍♂️

On 4/24/2021 at 8:06 PM, jshel said:

I agree...first wedge shot and there was a big scuff mark...obviously due to it being softer. Not a huge fan of the new ball. I'm going to be going with Callaway CS X LS this year.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:36 AM, nfreda2211 said:

I also experienced this...half way right along the seam...very disappointed in the new ball

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 8:06 PM, jshel said:

The '21 TP5X looks more beat after 9 holes than the '21 ProV1X after 2 rounds. I haven't saltwater dunked and balanced the '21 TP5X, but when I did the '19 TP5X it was significantly more out of balance than the Titleist and Callaways.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

Like others have mentioned I am also experiencing moderate durability issues with the '21 TP5. It seems like every time I take a full wedge shot I'm flipping a coin on whether the cover will be significantly cut or not. I shouldn't have to pick up my $4 ball after a hole and be relieved not to find any deep cuts. I'd expect that on a budget DTC ball for $20/dozen, not a premium $48 per dozen ball. Pretty gross, Taylormade.

• Like 1

Been a TM ball guy for many years because of their low spin option.  Played 13 holes with the new one this weekend and didn't like it.  Spun more off the driver and irons and the cover was getting eaten up.  I'm either going to hoard the '19 version or switch to the Chrome X LS.  Tried left dash already and it spins less than the TP5x.  Not a ton, but noticed several chips that didn't react the way I expected them too.  

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

5th round today with a Yellow 2021 TP5X.

Had a great iron / wedge day; and for me it just flat out performs. Receptive greens today - and the one bounce and stop (upto perhaps 9 iron) performance  - with one hop, stop and very small amounts of backspin on clubs below that……is truly epic. And I’ve unsurprisingly picked up a few yards I think - coming from a 2019 TP5…..not X.

Second round with the same ball - and it wasn’t great come round end. Infact I’m not sure it didn’t have a small crack in the cover (I could feel it with a fingernail)…….. 

BUT - the way it plays for me is so good: I may have to suck up the durability issues / concerns.

On 4/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, sevenfourate said:

I’ve been a staunch TM ball guy since 2006. The TP Red LDP was truly a ground-breaking ball for me. No ballooning, low spin on the long stuff. And spun like a top close in. As big of a game changer as any equipment upgrades / fine tuning. For me. 

And the TM golf-ball love affair has continued pretty much. I’m an ex Pro, currently don’t have an official handicap - likely around scratch; and held a U.K. plus handicap for many years recently. Approx 110mph s/speed these days and a ball striker. But: approaching 50 I do like the visuals that Yellow ammunition offers.

Last year i split my choice between TP5 and the X version. Durability of the stock 5 wasn’t too bad. (Although it was short / high spin for me - particularly on irons). The TP5X was more like it with the long stuff. But of course was a bit firm around the greens. And durability wasn’t great - with the white urethane cover under the yellow paint showing through pretty dammed sharpish !

So: I was HUGELY looking forward the the release of the Yellow TP5X in the U.K. earlier this month. And snagged a dozen as soon as humanly possible….

Today was the first outing. Rained here - so after it had cleared we decided to give the main course a miss and head for our Par 3 course.  Likely a good test for this balls supposed extra durability (Now Yellow urethane cover under the yellow paint), potential short game improvements with the extra spin / softer feel etc.

**And after 18 holes let’s say I’m ‘grossly disappointed. Mostly.

Weather has been great here this week. And the course in general - and greens obviously - have firmed up. The perfect ball test therefore !

And performance wise I definitely think it’s a level up from the 2019 version(s). Half a club or more longer than the old version TP5 (What I can mostly compare to) for sure. Feel around the greens is definitely a notch softer than the 2019 TP5X - which was too firm for me / the courses I play. And this 2021 version span / gripped like an absolute gem for me. One bounce and stop on the spot. Perfect for me and the way I like to work close in.

But…..And it’s a big but. A huge ‘but’ infact ! Durability was no better. I’ve got 10 (?) year old;  favourite irons. And my wedges aren’t far behind age-wise. So far from fresh grooves. But from the first full wedge struck:  it looked obvious how this was going to play out.

Two of the pictures (bottom) show solitary strikes with shortish irons. One (top) pic clearly shows cumulative wear in one spot; from the ball being aligned on the tee box. And it was like that on both opposite poles.

2021 Performance so far 9/10.

2021 Durabilty so far 6.5/10.

Im afraid to say TM ball designers; I will be trying the Callaway Chrome-soft X LS when it’s available ‘over here’ In plain yellow. I’m not overly fussy over the odd mark. And can / will / have played a single ball for 36 holes with no issue. But I very much doubt I’d start a second round with this version of your ball from my initial findings. The cover damage would / was that bad. And you’d have to imagine - performance degrading.

A real shame because it’s shear (**sic) performance in its own right is mighty fine.

7939FE94-6957-4ED0-9C97-B804E5D0725C.jpeg

B17FDFAC-4729-4C66-95C3-E4E5BAD23BE5.jpeg

475EA3F6-C4B4-4EAB-9DEF-DBE96C98DB62.jpeg

Try the Chrome Soft X LS.  I alternate that between the MTB-X.  It's a fantastic ball.  My ss with driver is 118 stock swing.  The LS can hang distance wise with any other tour ball.  It's the lowest spinning ball I've ever tested.  As you can see with my set up, I struggle with high spin.  Don't get me wrong, the '21 TP5x is a wonderful ball but like you said durability is def an issue.  The LS also some issues with the cover but is slightly more durable than the TP5x.  Spins maybe 200 rpm less as well.  Where the LS shined for me was irons.  I'm 5 yards longer with irons and it has enough spin to hold the greens.  It's on the firm side, but I prefer that.  Not a fan of soft mushy feeling balls.  Also a good wind ball that holds it's line pretty well.  LS tends to roll out a bit more than the TP5x and MTB-X so I had to make some adjustments.  I'm very picky about what ball I play and the LS is going to be my gamer for awhile. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

58 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Try the Chrome Soft X LS.  I alternate that between the MTB-X.  It's a fantastic ball.  My ss with driver is 118 stock swing.  The LS can hang distance wise with any other tour ball.  It's the lowest spinning ball I've ever tested.  As you can see with my set up, I struggle with high spin.  Don't get me wrong, the '21 TP5x is a wonderful ball but like you said durability is def an issue.  The LS also some issues with the cover but is slightly more durable than the TP5x.  Spins maybe 200 rpm less as well.  Where the LS shined for me was irons.  I'm 5 yards longer with irons and it has enough spin to hold the greens.  It's on the firm side, but I prefer that.  Not a fan of soft mushy feeling balls.  Also a good wind ball that holds it's line pretty well.  LS tends to roll out a bit more than the TP5x and MTB-X so I had to make some adjustments.  I'm very picky about what ball I play and the LS is going to be my gamer for awhile. 

I’d absolutely love to my friend. But the Yellow Triple Track (Which would bug the crap out of me) is now due here on the U.K. shores early July. And the plain Yellow version; goodness knows when !

Im booked and paid (Covid rules allowing of course) to come Stateside in Sept for a month to take in all Route 66 has to offer….

Guess what my suitcase will be stuffed with on the return journey 🤣

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

I’d absolutely love to my friend. But the Yellow Triple Track (Which would bug the crap out of me) is now due here on the U.K. shores early July. And the plain Yellow version; goodness knows when !

Im booked and paid (Covid rules allowing of course) to come Stateside in Sept for a month to take in all Route 66 has to offer….

Guess what my suitcase will be stuffed with on the return journey 🤣

Where is your destination if you don't mind me asking?  Route 66 extends a long way.  In fact, across several states.  We have Route 66 here in LA as well that runs from Glendora on which I reside near. 

• Thanks 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Where is your destination if you don't mind me asking?  Route 66 extends a long way.  In fact, across several states.  We have Route 66 here in LA as well that runs from Glendora on which I reside near. 

I’m in the U.K. as above (England).

We’re spending some time in Cali, Los Angeles etc. Then starting Route 66 from the West Coast; and travelling the whole route to Chicago (3 weeks allowed for this part alone) Spending some time there in Chicago  - before flying onto;  and a few days in NYC before heading home.

We’re spending some time in Cali, Los Angeles etc. Then starting Route 66 from the West Coast; and travelling the whole route to Chicago (3 weeks allowed for this part alone) Spending some time there in Chicago  - before flying onto;  and a few days in NYC before heading home.

That's awesome.  I'm here in the subarbs of Los Angeles.  If you're up for it, just PM me and if I'm not working that day, I can set something up for us in terms of a tee time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should play Bethpage Black if you're physically up to it.  The course is in GREAT SHAPE!  If that's not possible, play Bethpage Red.  Bethpage is only about 25 miles from J.F.K.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

That's awesome.  I'm here in the subarbs of Los Angeles.  If you're up for it, just PM me and if I'm not working that day, I can set something up for us in terms of a tee time. 

Argh man. That’s such an awesome gesture. And if this was a family trip - where my wife could entertain herself while I played - I would absolutely jump at your generous offer ! But: it’s just us two on this trip. Which is to celebrate 50th Birthdays ! The other thing is I’m not bringing clubs. And I’m ultra anal about grips. I use ultra thin, carefully ‘shaped’ Tour velvet ribbed. I’m not sure i’d do anything else; or any course justice trying to play with other grips - after 30 years using these on everything through the bag 🤷‍♀️ 

But again - I’m humbled at the offer. Thankyou. 

2 hours ago, wantacigar said:

You should play Bethpage Black if you're physically up to it.  The course is in GREAT SHAPE!  If that's not possible, play Bethpage Red.  Bethpage is only about 25 miles from J.F.K.

Yes,yes YES ! We’re true NYC fans. 5 trips so far in 4 years, missed 2 through the World pandemic - but hopefully we’ll be able to make our booked trip for this Christmas (Covid allowing).

And great thing is one of my sons is now taking his golf quite seriously. So next fall / summer trip - we will definitely be playing some NYC golf.  

***My son wants to go to the range at Chelsea Piers this Christmas. We will see if he’s still so keen once he’s experienced a bitter New York evening in December  !  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Argh man. That’s such an awesome gesture. And if this was a family trip - where my wife could entertain herself while I played - I would absolutely jump at your generous offer ! But: it’s just us two on this trip. Which is to celebrate 50th Birthdays ! The other thing is I’m not bringing clubs. And I’m ultra anal about grips. I use ultra thin, carefully ‘shaped’ Tour velvet ribbed. I’m not sure i’d do anything else; or any course justice trying to play with other grips - after 30 years using these on everything through the bag 🤷‍♀️ 

But again - I’m humbled at the offer. Thankyou. 

Yes,yes YES ! We’re true NYC fans. 5 trips so far in 4 years, missed 2 through the World pandemic - but hopefully we’ll be able to make our booked trip for this Christmas (Covid allowing).

And great thing is one of my sons is now taking his golf quite seriously. So next fall / summer trip - we will definitely be playing some NYC golf.  

***My son wants to go to the range at Chelsea Piers this Christmas. We will see if he’s still so keen once he’s experienced a bitter New York evening in December  !  

Lmk if plans change or you change your mind.  Cheers. 

• Like 1

Used the new TP5x yesterday for the first time (here in Oz)

Really good all round ball, didn't necessarily see any durability issues as others have mentioned.

I did feel that it was shorter than I'd expected. Lately I've usually been a ProV1x user and noticed that on many shots (irons and woods) the TP5x was a little shorter (10m on drives, 3-5 on mid and short irons).

I will say that the greenside spin is far better with this version than previous. 

Will use a few more times to see if this was a one off (bad day) or if it's a trend...

I just bought two dozen of the 21 TP5x and while the performance is a little different compared to the 19 there’s one issue that will probably have me looking for a different ball. The cover quality of the new ones is terrible. There’s uneven paint, chips in the cover and a ton of casting marks on every ball. Out of two dozen there isn’t a perfect ball. 

Has anybody else seen this?

I have been playing the Tour Preferred line for the last few years. Every time they announce a change I hold my breath. It seems as though once they get a winning product they assign improvements for next year to the marketing department who push the engineers aside. I won't detail out every missed step they have made over the years but this year the so called "improvement" to the TP5 reminds me of their 2016 disaster. My swing speed is slower so I do not play the X line, I need a ball with lower compression, so my comments are strictly about the non-X line. My driver swing speed is 93 and I am a 6.6 index.

The 2014 Tour Preferred was a winner. Coming off of the experimentation of the Penta and Lethal years it reminded me of the 2008 Red. It was softer than the Penta and Lethal and was great in the wind. I was a very happy guy for two years. Then, in 2016, they inexplicably decreased the compression and completely screwed up a good thing. The 2016 Tour Preferred ball was crap. It spun like a top and was a distance killer off the tee. It was a huge miss for the Tour Preferred line and they knew it.

They fixed it with the 2017 TP5. I LOVED the 2017 TP5! It was everything the 2014 Tour Preferred was with the added benefits of being longer off the tee and having better green side spin. The compression was perfect.

In 2019 they bumped up the compression a little. Hmmm, distance off the tee improved (which I like) but the ball feels slightly harder, probably because my swing speed is down a smidge day to day. I was OK with the trade off of longer distance but harder feel. The release of the pix version last year was a thumbs up - I like the graphics.

Which brings us to this year and the "improved" 2021 TP5. Hogwash. Once again, TM has fiddled with the design and it reminds me of exactly what happened from 2014 to 2016. Tee spin is way up and distance is way down. I have not researched the data but I think I understand the compression has not significantly changed. The big news this year is the new dimple design - they have managed to increase spin, not by decreasing compression, but by fooling around with the aerodynamics. Side spin is atrocious. Some of my mishits have been comical to watch. I can also confirm all the previous comments on durability. It is astonishing how quickly these balls get chewed up.

TM, hope you are listening. I want to play the TP5. There is nothing better around the greens, but you have got to stop tinkering with a good thing. Go back and take a look at the 2017 TP5.

I am changing to the Callaway Chrome Soft.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not seeing any durability issues here with the TP5x, but I'm a moderate speed guy which may be factor. I'm getting at leadt one full round out of each ball that I don't hit into a cart path or something similar. Performance has been great. The blend of distance and spin is just what I've been looking for.

Went through all 4 boxes of my Spring order when I was out of commission for a few weeks to recover from a surgery and I'm not finding any of the cover issues that have been mentioned. I wonder if there was a bad batch from somewhere?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"