New TP5 and TP5X for 2021

SSP217

On 7/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, wantacigar said:

This is after 10 holes with the 2019 TP5x today.  I've been hitting my irons and wedges well.  This is the 2nd ball this has happened to me in the past 4 rounds.  It happens.  Not a reflection on the quality of the ball, it just happens with urethane balls.  The TP5x has a thinner cover than the TP5.  I haven't played the 2021's yet and I don't think that will happen.  I have 14 dozen balls pretty much evenly split between the 2019 TP5x and the TP5.  

IMG_8692[1].JPG

IMG_8693[1].JPG

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday. My cut was from a well struck hybrid from the fairway. I couldn't believe it when I marked the ball to clean it before I putted. Ive never cut a ball like that before 

1 hour ago, Highlander 24 said:

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday. My cut was from a well struck hybrid from the fairway. I couldn't believe it when I marked the ball to clean it before I putted. Ive never cut a ball like that before 

you cut a ball with a well struck hybrid?  did it hit a tree or a rock wall or the cart path? 

1 hour ago, Highlander 24 said:

No thats why I couldn't believe it. A Ping 410 6 hybrid from 180 yrds out landed on the green and stayed on. Im a huge fan of the TP5X but the durability is bad

ive had the exact opposite experience with the 2021 model.  The one ball that i had a problem with is the newer AVX...i was shocked.....

43 minutes ago, tsecor said:

ive had the exact opposite experience with the 2021 model.  The one ball that i had a problem with is the newer AVX...i was shocked.....

I only tried AVX a couple of times its not for me. I've been playing mostly the new TP5x this year and like I said I love everything about the ball and have played an entire round with the same ball and not a mark and have played with some and they look like they've been played with on a highway after 3 or 4 holes. Im sure its me but after that cut yesterday I think im going to play the BX for a bit

16 hours ago, Highlander 24 said:

No thats why I couldn't believe it. A Ping 410 6 hybrid from 180 yrds out landed on the green and stayed on. Im a huge fan of the TP5X but the durability is bad

That cut was on a 2019 TP5x.  Second time that has happened to me with the 2019.  I've started playing with the TM Tour Response.  I love that ball.  My driver SS is 95-100.  100 on really good days.   Drives are long, irons are usually at the top range of my distances and the ball is durable.  Seems like this ball is a tweak of the Project (a) which was a great ball also.  I just sold my remaining 6 dozen 2019 TP5x.  I have 7 dozen 2019 TP5 and 8 dozen Tour Response.  I work my 7 dozen Ksig 3.2 into that rotation as well.  The Ksig and the Tour Response are similar to me in feel, distance, spin, etc.  I likely won't play any 2021 TM due to me having about 5 years worth of golf ball stock....Unless.....I get a deal I can't refuse. 🤦‍♂️

20 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

That cut was on a 2019 TP5x.  Second time that has happened to me with the 2019.  I've started playing with the TM Tour Response.  I love that ball.  My driver SS is 95-100.  100 on really good days.   Drives are long, irons are usually at the top range of my distances and the ball is durable.  Seems like this ball is a tweak of the Project (a) which was a great ball also.  I just sold my remaining 6 dozen 2019 TP5x.  I have 7 dozen 2019 TP5 and 8 dozen Tour Response.  I work my 7 dozen Ksig 3.2 into that rotation as well.  The Ksig and the Tour Response are similar to me in feel, distance, spin, etc.  I likely won't play any 2021 TM due to me having about 5 years worth of golf ball stock....Unless.....I get a deal I can't refuse. 🤦‍♂️

the Tour Response is the old Project A with a few tweaks.....i tried that ball and hated it but loved the 2019 TP5 and this years TP5 and 5X.....the 5X is still a bit clicky but noticeably better in all areas that the 2019 version.  The 2019 TP5x was horrible for me.....couldnt keep it straight and it ballooned a lot for me

27 minutes ago, tsecor said:

the Tour Response is the old Project A with a few tweaks.....i tried that ball and hated it but loved the 2019 TP5 and this years TP5 and 5X.....the 5X is still a bit clicky but noticeably better in all areas that the 2019 version.  The 2019 TP5x was horrible for me.....couldnt keep it straight and it ballooned a lot for me

I've noticed the 2019 TP5x ballooning as well.  I have about 2 dozen left of them.  Use them on water courses, LOL.  The Tour Response and the Ksig 3.2 are close in feel, spin, distance, etc. IMHO.  They fit my game.  I really like the 2019 TP5 as well.  I don't get any ballooning with it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty curious, TM is still the only 5 piece ball in the market I believe ? I just bought some 5 piece balls last week that I will try on the weekend, which I suspect are from the TM ball manufacturer. Will be interesting to see how they perform compared to the TP5/x.

I say this since they're manufactured in the same country and I read TM import the unfinished balls to the U.S for their own coating. Therefore, only the spin should be technically different if indeed they're the same cores and mantles. I'm only not sure about the manufacture date or how they'd compare split open to confirm. Depending on the date and inner cover comparison, would be interesting to see if it's indeed correct and for which version they're comparable to.

I played 1 box of TP5x pix previously and I really liked the alignment and performance in the long game, however, not so much on driver and putter feel. They're very clicky. I'm trying to move away from feel based golf however, and try to put a performance related ball into play.

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

7 hours ago, Andygolderson said:

I'm pretty curious, TM is still the only 5 piece ball in the market I believe ? I just bought some 5 piece balls last week that I will try on the weekend, which I suspect are from the TM ball manufacturer. Will be interesting to see how they perform compared to the TP5/x.

I say this since they're manufactured in the same country and I read TM import the unfinished balls to the U.S for their own coating. Therefore, only the spin should be technically different if indeed they're the same cores and mantles. I'm only not sure about the manufacture date or how they'd compare split open to confirm. Depending on the date and inner cover comparison, would be interesting to see if it's indeed correct and for which version they're comparable to.

I played 1 box of TP5x pix previously and I really liked the alignment and performance in the long game, however, not so much on driver and putter feel. They're very clicky. I'm trying to move away from feel based golf however, and try to put a performance related ball into play.

Don't believe the various conspiracy theories you see online about gray market versions of Taylormade or some other balls. It's all internet/social media silliness. 

If you like that particular 5pc ball, great. If not, try something else. 

10 hours ago, Andygolderson said:

There are several non-TM 5 piece balls on the conforming list.  They are all from companies that I'm not familiar with: Kasco, Snyder, and V Plus.  Callaway used to have 5 piece balls but nothing currently on the market.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cardigan said:

There are several non-TM 5 piece balls on the conforming list.  They are all from companies that I'm not familiar with: Kasco, Snyder, and V Plus.  Callaway used to have 5 piece balls but nothing currently on the market.  

I'm about to try the v plus. Scanna seem to be a mass production fab for balls, so I'll report back on how they are.

Kasco I see widely available, but the branding and marketing throws me off trying them.

I tried Snyder when I was in Europe, they were very expensive, very clicky and did not deliver what they promised whatsoever.

XXIO premium ball.

32 minutes ago, Andygolderson said:

I'm about to try the v plus. Scanna seem to be a mass production fab for balls, so I'll report back on how they are.

Kasco I see widely available, but the branding and marketing throws me off trying them.

I tried Snyder when I was in Europe, they were very expensive, very clicky and did not deliver what they promised whatsoever.

It will be interesting to see how they work out for you.  Btw - Snyder balls are also made in Taiwan.  I have no idea who makes the balls for them though.

8 hours ago, cardigan said:

It will be interesting to see how they work out for you.  Btw - Snyder balls are also made in Taiwan.  I have no idea who makes the balls for them though.

I still managed not to lose the final Snyder. it's bright pink and hard as a rock 🤣.

There are a lot of manufacturers over here, I was quite surprised. Maybe need to dig deeper to find the TM manufacturer to put and end to my curiosity. USGA list still says USA, since they are finished there.

XXIO premium ball.

1 minute ago, Andygolderson said:

I still managed not to lose the final Snyder. it's bright pink and hard as a rock 🤣.

There are a lot of manufacturers over here, I was quite surprised. Maybe need to dig deeper to find the TM manufacturer to put and end to my curiosity. USGA list still says USA, since they are finished there.

The only thing you can take from the "Country" listing on the conforming list is the country of the company that is submitting the ball.  It doesn't indicate where the ball was made at any stage of the process.  I have no experience with Snyder golf balls but I would have to assume that if it was a pink ball that it was not a 5 piece urethane ball.  Definitely something not on the conforming list.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a TP5x ball walking off of the back of the 11th green yesterday. It was brand new so I decided to tee it up on #12. I’d never played a Taylor Made golf ball, but one of my playing partners gave it a thumbs up. Off the tee it was comparable to my Pro V1. I gained about a 1/2 club on my iron shots. I don’t know how it performs around the green because I hit 6 of the last 7 greens and the one that I missed was in a green side bunker. The feel on the greens was similar to my Titleist. I liked the ball. I certainly had great results. I bought a sleeve in our Pro Shop for further testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Moonlightgrm said:

I found a TP5x ball walking off of the back of the 11th green yesterday. It was brand new so I decided to tee it up on #12. I’d never played a Taylor Made golf ball, but one of my playing partners gave it a thumbs up. Off the tee it was comparable to my Pro V1. I gained about a 1/2 club on my iron shots. I don’t know how it performs around the green because I hit 6 of the last 7 greens and the one that I missed was in a green side bunker. The feel on the greens was similar to my Titleist. I liked the ball. I certainly had great results. I bought a sleeve in our Pro Shop for further testing.

i have a dz ill sell you cheap if you like em.....TM sent me an extra dzn by mistake.....

• 3 months later...

Just got the TP5. So far, absolutely love the ball. Reminds me of the older pro v1s before thet switch the v1/x. Great control, distance. I was blown away by the stopping power. I was getting backspin on shots with significant wind in my back. Finally it putts incredibly true. Made multiple one putts. 

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

5 hours ago, elwhippy said:

UK. One store is giving a dozen a way with sets of irons or a driver and others dropping price by 20%. Very few people using these in my area as durability is dire and both models spin excessively. I think TM can write this model off as a step backwards.

I haven't seen a price drop anywhere locally or online.  20% is basically the going rate for prior generation TP5/TP5X balls both locally and online.  I guess what you are seeing is either isolated or regional.  Please post if you see that deal anywhere online as I would imagine any place doing that would also be dropping the prices of prior generation balls and possibly the practice balls as well.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:45 PM, cardigan said:

Where are you seeing a price drop?

Ive only seen $3 off a dozen in our local stores.   Not enough to pull the trigger. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

1 hour ago, Minarets said:

Ive only seen $3 off a dozen in our local stores.   Not enough to pull the trigger. 

I don't think I've seen anything besides $47.99 for standard and $49.99 for "pix" anywhere.  I've been using 2019 practice TP5X that I got from golf discount for $19.99 a dozen (bagged, not boxed) but since it looks like they gone up to $25 I'm unlikely to restock when I run out.

• Like 1