2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

JPX 921 Forged or Srixon X5/X7 combo set?

DeboRU2002

1 hour ago, Krt22 said:

I have the J15CBs and the 585/785, put in the order for the ZX series after hitting them once. They are fantastic feeling

ugh, you're not helping me here lol.  

• Haha 1

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

12 hours ago, Krt22 said:

I have the J15CBs and the 585/785, put in the order for the ZX series after hitting them once. They are fantastic feeling

Where do you split the set? 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I went to the range this morning for the first time since getting my set. First impressions - these are great clubs. Have been dealing with a hand injury so haven’t hit balls for 5 weeks. So was expecting to hit the ball poorly. Surprisingly hit the ball pretty well. 

I am generally a very shallow swinger so was concerned I wouldn’t like the v sole base on feedback I’ve read on this site. I actually loved them. Made me more confident to hit down on the ball and take nice divots. X7 feels much better than the X5. X7 feels like butter when you hit it pure. X5 feels harder and faster. I probably could have gotten the X7 7 iron because I didn’t have any issue hitting the 8 iron. If you are in the border, my advice would be go with X5 7 iron if you are more cornered with forgiveness/performance. If you care more about feel, go X7. 

Last night I picked up a set of Jpx 921 forged irons off of BST. Was a good deal and I really want to compare the two against each other. Both irons have the same exact shafts, so there will be no other variables. Just which one I prefer. 

Even though it was one range session, Srixons will be hard to beat. I think the v soles are the real deal. If you’ve never tried them, I suggest you do. 

For my fellow shallow swingers who want to try to take more of a divot (which I do), the v sole actually makes you feel more confident to swing down and not hit it fat. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2021 at 12:22 PM, DeboPga78 said:

I went to the range this morning for the first time since getting my set. First impressions - these are great clubs. Have been dealing with a hand injury so haven’t hit balls for 5 weeks. So was expecting to hit the ball poorly. Surprisingly hit the ball pretty well. 

I am generally a very shallow swinger so was concerned I wouldn’t like the v sole base on feedback I’ve read on this site. I actually loved them. Made me more confident to hit down on the ball and take nice divots. X7 feels much better than the X5. X7 feels like butter when you hit it pure. X5 feels harder and faster. I probably could have gotten the X7 7 iron because I didn’t have any issue hitting the 8 iron. If you are in the border, my advice would be go with X5 7 iron if you are more cornered with forgiveness/performance. If you care more about feel, go X7. 

Last night I picked up a set of Jpx 921 forged irons off of BST. Was a good deal and I really want to compare the two against each other. Both irons have the same exact shafts, so there will be no other variables. Just which one I prefer. 

Even though it was one range session, Srixons will be hard to beat. I think the v soles are the real deal. If you’ve never tried them, I suggest you do. 

For my fellow shallow swingers who want to try to take more of a divot (which I do), the v sole actually makes you feel more confident to swing down and not hit it fat. 

Any update on the Srixons vs JPX 921 Forged?

Rox

Edited by roxald

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

I actually got fit yesterday. I went in going for 770, apex pro and 790s. Really didn’t like the 770 or 790 I couldn’t tell if I hit it bad or not. Apex pro were solid. Then fitter gave me the zx7 which I loved and the 921 forged which I loved. Also tried the zx5 and ultimately decided to go zx5 4-6 1 weak and zx7 7-pw standard. The soles worked great indoors for me but if any reason they aren’t great outside I will 100% switched to the 921 Forged. 

4 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

I actually got fit yesterday. I went in going for 770, apex pro and 790s. Really didn’t like the 770 or 790 I couldn’t tell if I hit it bad or not. Apex pro were solid. Then fitter gave me the zx7 which I loved and the 921 forged which I loved. Also tried the zx5 and ultimately decided to go zx5 4-6 1 weak and zx7 7-pw standard. The soles worked great indoors for me but if any reason they aren’t great outside I will 100% switched to the 921 Forged. 

Interesting-I like the ZX7 but need more help in the longer irons and do not like the feel in theZX5s. I have the ZX5 4-iron.

Wondering if the forgiveness in the 921 forged is any different than the ZX7- I know the feel will be better in the 921 vs ZX5 if I do go with a more forgiving 5/6 iron.

Thats why the 921 has me interested.

Feel should be great in both ZX7

and 921 models, but more forgiveness in the 921?

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

23 minutes ago, roxald said:

Any update on the Srixons vs JPX 921 Forged?

Rox

Had to get a cortisone shot in my hand so I’m out of commission for a couple of weeks. But have been chipping in the back yard and to me the jpx 921 wedge feels softer than my x7 wedge.

jpx irons look smaller than both X5 and X7s.

that’s all I can share so far.  Will try to get out to the range in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, roxald said:

Interesting-I like the ZX7 but need more help in the longer irons and do not like the feel in theZX5s. I have the ZX5 4-iron.

Wondering if the forgiveness in the 921 forged is any different than the ZX7- I know the feel will be better in the 921 vs ZX5 if I do go with a more forgiving 5/6 iron.

Rox

I thought the zx5 felt good and powerful but they were insanely easy to hit. I found 921 to be a blend of the 2. I could easily game either but I am pretty steep so figured the V sole was a better fit. Again if I don’t like the V sole outside I will be ordering the 921s 

• Like 1

I have had 921F, 921T and now have ZX7.  I am a good golfer now that I don't work as a top fitter anymore, for reference. 😜

I would rank them like this:

Forgiveness: 921F - ZX7 - 921T (921F I would say is very similar to ZX5 with ZX7 fairly close, 921T are a ways down the scale and found them to spin a lot)

Looks: ZX7 - 921T - 921F (Obviously subjective but the ZX7 are just about perfect to me)

Feel: ZX7 - 921T - 921F (Not even close in my opinion) 

If you are super shallow (as in never take a divot) you might get along better with the 921T but outside that it's hard to go against Srixon.  I am a big fan of Srixon and have been for a long time.  I was sad the day I had to sell my 745s because I became a fitter for Kaboom Baby and had to play that Gen2 nonsense. 😅

• Like 2

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

7 hours ago, TrueWRX said:

Winter here won’t get them outside until April 

New York could be the worst place ever to live for golf 

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

old green logo.jpeg

that cant be good for golf can it? I thought it sucks here but that isnt good either

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

old green logo.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. Sold the Mizunos. I’m sticking with the Srixon’s as my gamers. Couple reasons I went with the Srixons. 

My backup set are Titleist T200s. So I was comparing the 921s and Srixons to be my gamers. Felt the 921s were too similar to my t200s. Head sizes were about the same and the soles are the same as well. Main difference between the two is the Mizunos are definitely a bit softer. But the t200s are more forgiving. So of the two, I’d probably game the t200s over the Mizunos.  

But to me, the Srixons are totally different. Mainly because of the v sole. The v sole set them apart from the Mizunos and my t200s. 

Over the last 7 years, I’ve dealt with hand, wrist and elbow injuries from playing too much golf:) One of the injuries led to a surgery that knocked me out from golf for over a year. And once again I’ve been dealing with some tendinitis after 3 long range sessions off mats in a row in December. Nothing worse for my body than hitting off mats.  

To me, the vsoles feel like they are taking a bit of the force out of hitting the ground. And that’s exactly what I need at this point in my life. The feel is just completely different when you hit the dirt compared to the mizunos and my t200s. They just glide through. 

So the only thing that’s a bit of an internal debate right now is if I split the Srixons right. I split at 7/8. Going to play them for a couple of months but might add the 7 iron in X7, because I do like the feel of the X7s better than the X5s. I’m also a high ball hitter, so I don’t need the launch help. Just need a little help with forgiveness. 

Hoping these srixons can be my gamers for the next couple years. 

On 1/30/2021 at 11:31 AM, roxald said:

Rox

If you need more long iron help go with hybrid. They used to be left machines but are easy to play currently.

I had a split set of the 585(5&6) and 785(7-pw). Never really got along with the 585. Then went off and tried Honma and P790. Best I ever had were the 7 series so 5-pw in the ZX7 with Nippon 125s are on order.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 1/30/2021 at 1:36 PM, DeboPga78 said:

Had to get a cortisone shot in my hand so I’m out of commission for a couple of weeks. But have been chipping in the back yard and to me the jpx 921 wedge feels softer than my x7 wedge.

jpx irons look smaller than both X5 and X7s.

that’s all I can share so far.  Will try to get out to the range in a couple of weeks. 

Srixon and Mizuno both share the full dimensions of their irons, unlike to other manufacturers.  The 921 Forged are slightly larger, heel to toe, than the ZX 7.

I went with 921 Forged.

Played about 24 rounds with it so far.

Wet, cold, soft, hard and etcs... all types of playing conditions here.  I am very happy with it and I can dig it, pick it, spin it and float it. Did I say forgiving and straight? 

Been winning more greenies with my groups. Honeymoon perhaps but works all type of swing and conditions and did I say longer?

PW and GW are money club in 921 forged. I made some tap ins with these two clubs. 

I love Srixon irons but very happy with 921F. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

• 2 weeks later...

Have 6 rounds with the 921F and happy with them but miss the players CB look in the scoring irons, and having a steep swing really intrigued by the V soles. Tested the ZX7 indoors and didn’t see a big difference against the 921F, so I’m even more on the fence about picking up a set to test outdoors to get a true feel for the V soles. It also seems like the 921F is inbetween the ZX7 and 5 in terms of feel and forgiveness, and a mixed set of Srixons might be what I’m looking for (or maybe just want due to all the love they are getting recently).  

anyone else have any feedback.  Guess I could pick up some 921T in the scoring irons but it’s almost more of a hassle to buy and sell half sets. 

Edited by sbjinx

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Odyssey #7 CH

15 minutes ago, sbjinx said:

Have 6 rounds with the 921F and happy with them but miss the players CB look in the scoring irons, and having a steep swing really intrigued by the V soles. Tested the ZX7 indoors and didn’t see a big difference against the 921F, so I’m even more on the fence about picking up a set to test outdoors to get a true feel for the V soles. It also seems like the 921F is inbetween the ZX7 and 5 in terms of feel and forgiveness, and a mixed set of Srixons might be what I’m looking for (or maybe just want due to all the love they are getting recently).  

anyone else have any feedback.  Guess I could pick up some 921T in the scoring irons but it’s almost more of a hassle to buy and sell half sets. 

I have a steep swing and have never liked v-soles (irons or wedges). My fitting was outdoors and I preferred the 921F over the ZX7. I have played multiple Frankenstein combo sets but I get your point. Its easier to find long iron replacements later on and you will know where the break should be after playing them for a while. If you wish your short irons were more player its difficult to build a set that way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krazykarlsig said:

I have a steep swing and have never liked v-soles (irons or wedges). My fitting was outdoors and I preferred the 921F over the ZX7. I have played multiple Frankenstein combo sets but I get your point. Its easier to find long iron replacements later on and you will know where the break should be after playing them for a while. If you wish your short irons were more player its difficult to build a set that way.

Yeah I think that’s my thing. I wanted something more forgiving so I with the Forged but now that I’ve had them for a while, I realized prob should of went with the combo set. I would also be perfectly happy playing the 921F but with all the love the ZXs are getting lately I’m tempted to pick up set. First world problems lol

• Like 1

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Odyssey #7 CH

On 12/28/2020 at 6:33 AM, DeboPga78 said:

Looking to either get a set of JPX 921 forged or a combo set of the new Srixons - X5 5-7 and X7 8-P. Anyone hit both and have feedback on them? Or have played prior versions and have feedback. 

I have 919 Forged and love them. Perfect combo of looks, playability and forgiveness. A well struck shot is golf nirvana and I’m not punished too badly when I miss the sweet spot. I haven’t hit the X5 or X7. That said I’m sure they are wonderful irons, as Srixon makes a top notch product. But  I wonder how much BKs switch and win with Srixon has led to the fact that they’re suddenly the iron du jour??? Very little chatter about them prior 🤷🏼‍♂️ Doesn’t mean they aren’t great irons though. I do know that 919 forged are wonderful and that Mizuno irons are timeless. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just got fitted at Club Champion, was going in thinking I’m getting the 921 Tour or 0311t or  P 7MC, got the best numbers with the ZX7 and they weren’t even on my radar.   Seems like I tried every head under the sun, Callaway X forged, Apex pro, p770, mp20, t100, king cobra tour and Miura.  The ZX7 gave me the best dispersion and the second longest.  It was the most consistent 6 iron for my swing out of the group snd was only shorter then the p770 by 1.65 yards.  The 921 Tour was the most disappointing, mostly since I went in liking the way it looked.  Had one of the shortest average distances and was spinning over 7,000 with a 6 iron.  Unfortunately changing shafts either made the flight not work or the ball speed significantly drop.  I was fitted for the KBS Tour V tour spec S+ shafts in the ZX7.  My previous shafts are KBS S taper S+ and before that I played S400 shafts.  The PXG 0311t were unfortunately too wide of a dispersion for me, had a few of my longest 6 irons with them but my average was a bit shorter then the ZX7’s do to a large range of distance.  I really like the P 7MC, numbers were fairly good, just a bit too much of a penalty with my common slight toe miss.  They seemed to be much less forgiving then other irons in the group even though they were not the smallest.  Callaway’s all had too high of a peak height to work well were I live along the ocean, mid pack numbers for me, besides peak height.  T100 was bottom of the pack for me, high flight, high spin, shortest distance, very unforgiving while still looking a little chunkier then others.  King cobra tour was another mid pack, felt good, but gave me not great dispersion.  Miura was a surprise, decent numbers, slightly wider dispersion with a bit of a left miss tendency over slightly shorter distance.  Definitely wasn’t going in wanting or even caring to try the Srixon but the ZX7 definitely gave me the best numbers, the ZX5 in the 3 and 4 iron actually gave me worse numbers then the ZX7.  So I went 4 thru with ZX7.  The ZX5 is a much higher peak height, 4 iron was 110-115 feet for me, verse the ZX7 was 95 feet.  The ZX5 does spin a bunch less also, 3,900 verse ZX7 at 4,600.  ZX5 carried 2 yards shorter but overall was 4 yards longer, but had a worse left to right dispersion for me.  I guess the importance of getting fitted everyone has a different swing. 

• Like 2

I switched from the 921 forged /HMP combo to the ZX7/ZX5 combo. For me the deciding factor was 2 things - the ZX7 feels way better and they were a club longer than the 921. And it’s only been 2 rounds but I don’t think I’ve lost any forgiveness either. I actually like the HMP 4 iron over the ZX5 4 iron and might end up keeping the HMP. 

• Like 1

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Odyssey #7 CH

12 hours ago, sbjinx said:

I switched from the 921 forged /HMP combo to the ZX7/ZX5 combo. For me the deciding factor was 2 things - the ZX7 feels way better and they were a club longer than the 921. And it’s only been 2 rounds but I don’t think I’ve lost any forgiveness either. I actually like the HMP 4 iron over the ZX5 4 iron and might end up keeping the HMP. 

The ZX5 didn’t mesh with me either, the ZX7 4iron with graphite design ad 95 shaft turned out perfect.  The slight extra offset on the ZX5 cause me a few too many heavy shots.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 2:40 PM, Krt22 said:

On 12/28/2020 at 9:33 AM, DeboPga78 said:

Looking to either get a set of JPX 921 forged or a combo set of the new Srixons - X5 5-7 and X7 8-P. Anyone hit both and have feedback on them? Or have played prior versions and have feedback. 

I went ZX Utility with Tour AD DI 95, then ZX5 4-6, and ZX7 7-PW with Tour Issue X100. Then Mizuno T20 50,54 & 60 with Tour Issue S400. Absolutely love them.

I had 919 HMP along with a 919 forged AW and Tour pw. Had their moments but coming back from a long injury lay-off I was struggling with them. Got Zx5 7i and Zx7 8i to test. Ended up bonding with the zx7 - narrower v sole works with my current swing. I do have zx5 6i and am waiting on the 5i but may see how low I can go with the zx7.

I think you need to hit the candidates off grass. In my case, mats tell me nothing about turn interaction. But ymmv.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

I would pick Srixon's over most brands out there except If I didn't fit into my KING COBRA TOUR MIM irons I would be playing Srixon's 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 2/22/2021 at 5:14 AM, forrester_fire said:

Srixon and Mizuno both share the full dimensions of their irons, unlike to other manufacturers.  The 921 Forged are slightly larger, heel to toe, than the ZX 7.

921 F is definitely more forgiving than the 7s. I think 925 tour is more similar to the 7s. 
I personally don’t like the blend of the 5s and 7s. There is just too big of a difference between the two to blend well. But of course that’s just my opinion.