2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rick Shiels Butchers another Tech Review - AutoFlex

jmorrow020

23 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

As a 5'7" 68 year old man who hits his tee shots 200-220 yards and his 7 iron 130 yards, what are the things I should be paying attention to that are going to benefit me by watching a guy like Matt from TXG pound balls?

This ^

I’m younger (54) and can get my driver up to a little more than 100 mph and my 7 iron will be about 155/160 on good days.

How does watching a guy with 120+ mph help the average golfer?

I like the TXG guys for their product knowledge, technical descriptions / information but they aren’t helping the 95% of the golfers out there.

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

1 minute ago, Red4282 said:

Ok for example, lets say they have a video testing two driver heads against each other. Driver head A launches at 14 degrees, driver head B launches at 12.5 degrees. The delivery and strike were nearly identical. Its safe to assume driver head A has lower COG and and will launch higher than driver B, and thats at ALL speeds. 

That's what I mean. Most of the golfing world doesn't  have the same delivery every time. We hit it all over the face. We come over the top. We hit fat,thin shots. Most of us suck compared to the guys doing the reviews. Every once in a while I want to see a 8 handicap like me test equipment.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

1 minute ago, Cwing said:

This ^

I’m younger (54) and can get my driver up to a little more than 100 mph and my 7 iron will be about 155/160 on good days.

How does watching a guy with 120+ mph help the average golfer.

I like the TXG guys for their product knowledge, technical descriptions / information but they aren’t helping the 95% of the golfers out there.

Read my reply

8 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Read my reply

That’s one piece and something you would get from any decent reviewer comparing two products.

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

7 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

That's what I mean. Most of the golfing world doesn't  have the same delivery every time. We hit it all over the face. We come over the top. We hit fat,thin shots. Most of us suck compared to the guys doing the reviews. Every once in a while I want to see a 8 handicap like me test equipment.

Ok it doesnt matter though. It doesnt change the fact that a certain driver head performs a certain way, because the player cant be consistent. If you delivery it 20 different ways, 20 different strikes it will STILL be a higher launching driver thanks to that test. 

i mean your argument here is alot of golfers stink so just get a wal mart set. I have no problem with that. But if you are considering a huge purchase, 400 dollar driver you might want to understand what you are getting. 

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cwing said:

That’s one piece and something you would get from any decent reviewer comparing two products.

But the argument is watching txg offers nothing, i never said other reviewers. It would be hard to determine any differences in equipment if you dont take out certain variables. So if a 30 cap is testing, you introduce alot of unwanted variables that will make it much harder to decipher any real differences.

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 4:14 PM, MysteryV said:

I'm curious whether the shaft was sent directly from KHT cut and tipped, or if he just had it in it's original tube for branding.  He never says it was sent to him that way from KHT, and I kinda doubt it was.

Interestingly enough, he also starts with "I don't review shafts because I haven't seen any difference" and then goes on to see a big difference for the first time ... odd.

I like Rick, and I think he's pretty honest about his reviews.  That said, I'm hoping he takes the TXG guys up on a fitting and revisits this one.

EDIT TO ADD:

What I'd really like to see - is him test it at 46.5" versus a Ventus Red R2 flex at the same length.  I've begged for that review from the TXG guys - but have yet to have anyone do it.

You're restoring my faith in this forum a bit more! Finally somebody who makes sense around here and isn't just tossing crap to see if it sticks to the wall.

I personally left Rick a comment (not that he'll see it) that he needs to let Ian fit him into the shaft. He obviously respects or is at least curious about TXG because he often attends the live chats. Just b/c Matty is a good golfer doesn't mean it can't benefit other players of different skill and speed levels. He did not review the product in it's intended "final form" (over length) and IMO did not perform a valid review.

27 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

But the argument is watching txg offers nothing, i never said other reviewers. It would be hard to determine any differences in equipment if you dont take out certain variables. So if a 30 cap is testing, you introduce alot of unwanted variables that will make it much harder to decipher any real differences.

I personally like the TXG guys and the data they provide. That stated, I would love for someone to jump in using TXG styling and knowledge utilizing those with a driver swing speed in the 95-105 mph range.

I believe that information would be far more useful to 95% of the golf world.

if someone knows of such a site and an provide a link, I would truly appreciate it.

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 2

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

12 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Ok it doesnt matter though. It doesnt change the fact that a certain driver head performs a certain way, because the player cant be consistent. If you delivery it 20 different ways, 20 different strikes it will STILL be a higher launching driver thanks to that test. 

i mean your argument here is alot of golfers stink so just a wal mart set. I have no problem with that. But id you are considering a huge purchase, 400 dollar driver you might want to understand what you are getting. 

No, my argument here is that I'm not going to learn a damn thing from a guy with a 120 mph swing in a simulator testing drivers. The ONLY way you're going to know what you're getting is by testing the equipment you buy yourself. Oh, and I love watching TXG. I just never watch expecting to learn anything about equipment that would fit me.

Edited by braincramp52

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

On 12/28/2020 at 5:56 PM, calfan36 said:

Rick doesn't actually know much about clubs. When I used to watch his reviews more I could always point out 3-4 things he said in each video that were flat out wrong. 

Also his opinion is usually opposite of most people. He said the new King Tour irons feel horrible when others are saying softest ever. He said i500 feels very soft when others don't like the clicky feel

yea I feel Rick needs to feel different than what others say about products. He has nothing positive to say unless its something currently in his bag. He said the Mizuno putters felt bad and practically every other person on the plant said they had a great feel to them. 

I know he did a follow up review on the 3 new mizuno putters and did say he needs to give them more time, but still basically concluded its not a good putter

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

29 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

No, my argument here is that I'm not going to learn a damn thing from a guy with a 120 mph swing in a simulator testing drivers. The ONLY way you're going to know what you're getting is by testing the equipment you buy yourself. Oh, and I love watching TXG. I just never watch expecting to learn anything about equipment that would fit me.

Well i just showed you how you can. Its like the speed is clouding your mind here. Ill give you another. Take the SIM driver lineup. Three heads, for three different golfers. One low spin bomber for high speeds, one high moi for more average golfers who need control, and a d-type for people who need slice help. If they explain this on the channel, what did matts speed have ANYTHING to do with that. You can still learn a ton.

OR the fitting videos. How they use loft to get spin and launch in the correct window. That applies to every golfer. 

Im not as fast as matt but i basically used concepts i learned on txg to self fit my driver. Its been excellent

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

Well i just showed you how you can. Its like the speed is clouding your mind here. Ill give you another. Take the SIM driver lineup. Three heads, for three different golfers. One low spin bomber for high speeds, one high moi for more average golfers who need control, and a d-type for people who need slice help. If they explain this on the channel, what did matts speed have ANYTHING to do with that. You can still learn a ton.

OR the fitting videos. How they use loft to get spin and launch in the correct window. That applies to every golfer. 

Im not as fast as matt but i basically used concepts i learned on txg to self fit my driver. Its been excellent

And if I bought the driver with the high moi for my 86mph swing it would be a$500 mistake. Even with my slow swing I create a ton of spin. I get the best results with a low spin driver set at around 9 degrees and a stiff shaft. I only found that out with a lot of testing. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

13 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

And if I bought the driver with the high moi for my 86mph swing it would be a$500 mistake. Even with my slow swing I create a ton of spin. I get the best results with a low spin driver set at around 9 degrees and a stiff shaft. I only found that out with a lot of testing. 

Do you know why you create alot of spin? What are your spin numbers?

2 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

Then you shouldn't be on this site lol

2 hours ago, Red4282 said:

i mean your argument here is alot of golfers stink so just get a wal mart set. I have no problem with that. But if you are considering a huge purchase, 400 dollar driver you might want to understand what you are getting. 

Exactly

21 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

Yeah but you can see from the reviews which drivers spin how much relative to each other which is info that will help speed up your own testing. 

And they test everything. They test the effects of lie angle, grip size, shaft length, tee height, etc. If you think none of that is relevant to you just because he's faster I'm sorry but you're an idiot

• Like 1

2 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

This is where I think the value comes in. If you’re testing five different 7 irons and you’re drilling the sweet spot every time, that would show the minor differences inherent in each club which is great, but what if I’m hitting it all over the face like most golfers? Sure the mechanics of why they’re not making consistent contact will differ but the variance across the face is still pretty similar. Put another way, if a buddy and I are both 13s we may be 13s for different reasons, but how he hits a Mavrik versus a Ping iBlade would tell me a ton more because it would probably translate to my game in a similar fashion. Seeing Bubba stripe a p790 doesn’t really help me.

33 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Do you know why you create alot of spin? What are your spin numbers?

I was over 4000 with my G400 set at 10.5. I have a poor angle of attack and stay on my left side( I'm a lefty).

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

8 minutes ago, PuffyC said:

This is where I think the value comes in. If you’re testing five different 7 irons and you’re drilling the sweet spot every time, that would show the minor differences inherent in each club which is great, but what if I’m hitting it all over the face like most golfers? Sure the mechanics of why they’re not making consistent contact will differ but the variance across the face is still pretty similar. Put another way, if a buddy and I are both 13s we may be 13s for different reasons, but how he hits a Mavrik versus a Ping iBlade would tell me a ton more because it would probably translate to my game in a similar fashion. Seeing Bubba stripe a p790 doesn’t really help me.

Thats a fair criticism of txg, not testing forgiveness as much as they should. Doesnt mean there isnt anything to learn from good strikes either. They do other things too like the wet ball test-very valuable stuff to learn. Its a funny thing cause im rippin them one day and defending them another day. Even so, to say their content offers high handicaps or slow speeds nothing is just flat wrong. 

33 minutes ago, calfan36 said:

Then you shouldn't be on this site lol

Oh really?

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

3 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

So is from poor spin loft? Negative angle of attack with high dynamic loft? 

Not sure. All I know is the lower the loft and the stiffer (to a point) the shaft,the longer my drives are on the course.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

36 minutes ago, calfan36 said:

Yeah but you can see from the reviews which drivers spin how much relative to each other which is info that will help speed up your own testing. 

And they test everything. They test the effects of lie angle, grip size, shaft length, tee height, etc. If you think none of that is relevant to you just because he's faster I'm sorry but you're an idiot

Thanks for your contribution.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

11 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I was over 4000 with my G400 set at 10.5. I have a poor angle of attack and stay on my left side( I'm a lefty).

Spin that high with a sub 90mph swing is indicative of some serious delivery issues, and to your point about relating to TXG and their style of testing, your delivery conditions would produce the same homogenous results you're complaining about from TXG, just the opposite extreme. The only learning there would be crank the loft down and maybe use a low spin ball. That would help you and really not many others. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

11 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Thats a fair criticism of txg, not testing forgiveness as much as they should. Doesnt mean there isnt anything to learn from good strikes either. They do other things too like the wet ball test-very valuable stuff to learn. Its a funny thing cause im rippin them one day and defending them another day. Even so, to say their content offers high handicaps or slow speeds nothing is just flat wrong. 

You're right Red. I'm sure people of all abilities can take something away from TXG. But club faces don't react anywhere near the same at 90mph vs 120. Lets take hollow irons. I don't create nearly enough speed to get the full benefit of a P790 or I500. TXG is a great watch but most of the stuff they do just doesn't help the average golfer that much.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

Auto flex said on their Instagram they didn't send Rick the shaft. Rick gets a lot of stuff from viewers like his Kirkland reviews. I bet someone with a cobra tip sent him their 45ish length shaft. That person might play it in a lower spin cobra head than Rick's extreme and/or lower loft. The auto flex is unique enough it needs more consideration than Rick gave to the setup.The majority of his audience is not the target market as they would do what he did and it wouldn't work for them. So in that since Rick gave a good review, if you don't take the time to get it fit or set it up properly don't buy it.

Another note the TXG guys used to use more people but because of the lockdown they can only use Matt. They've said once things are back to normal they want to bring in other swing speeds and handicaps. 

Capture+_2020-12-31-08-59-51.png

Capture+_2020-12-31-08-59-32.png

Edited by enfuego

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

3 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Spin that high with a sub 90mph swing is indicative of some serious delivery issues, and to your point about relating to TXG and their style of testing, your delivery conditions would produce the same homogenous results you're complaining about from TXG, just the opposite extreme. The only learning there would be crank the loft down and maybe use a low spin ball. That would help you and really not many others. 

You're right. I personally put more value hitting fairways than I do distance. Low spin drivers and stiffer shafts seem to be the best combination for me. I've never liked low spin balls because I don't like them around the greens. I'll take a few yards less and keep the control.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

8 minutes ago, enfuego said:

Auto flex said on their Instagram they didn't send Rick the shaft. Rick gets a lot of stuff from viewers like his Kirkland reviews. I bet someone with a cobra tip sent him their 45ish length shaft. That person might play it in a lower spin cobra head than Rick's extreme and/or lower loft. The auto flex is unique enough it needs more consideration than Rick gave to the setup.The majority of his audience is not the target market as they would do what he did and it wouldn't work for them. So in that since Rick gave a good review, if you don't take the time to get it fit or set it up properly don't buy it.

Another note the TXG guys used to use more people but because of the lockdown they can only use Matt. They've said once things are back to normal they want to bring in other swing speeds and handicaps. 

Capture+_2020-12-31-08-59-51.png

Capture+_2020-12-31-08-59-32.png

Yea he is plug and play, which outside of looks and feel-which is an opinion, everything else should just be ignored.

12 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

You're right Red. I'm sure people of all abilities can take something away from TXG. But club faces don't react anywhere near the same at 90mph vs 120. Lets take hollow irons. I don't create nearly enough speed to get the full benefit of a P790 or I500. TXG is a great watch but most of the stuff they do just doesn't help the average golfer that much.

Aha but they do. Its just on a scale. So if matt gained 5mph ball speed at his swing speed with a hollow faced vs traditonal faced, its safe to assume you would see about 3/4 of the increase, about 3.5 mph extra.  Its not like the equipment magically changes its characteristics based on who is swinging..