Wanting to spend about $7,500 on a simulator

boycer

Looking to spend about $7,500 on an indoor simulator.. want to practice and play different courses. Will be in an outdoor garage so plenty of room.  Needs to be left and right handed. 

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

5 hours ago, Liveonce said:

I would look at Uneekor or wait for the Full Swing Kit that comes out in the summer. 

Going to have a hard time finding a used QED with sim software for under 7500, let alone the hardware to run it and something to hit into/off - especially with all the inflated prices we've been seeing in the last 9 months.

Edited by Bubbtubbs
  • Like 1

If left/right play is a a must, you can get a new Uneekor QED with the base software for $6000. The best sim software out there in my opinion is this new one in development called GSPro. It's been in beta for a while now so it is free. The only cost associated is $30 every 6 months to join the simulatorgolftour.com website, which is fully integrated into the sim software. They have weekly tournaments and a growing user base. You can get all the details about in on their Discord channel. It's currently integrated with Uneekor (QED and Eye XO) and the Foresight GC2 and Quad. Depending on tax if there is any on the Uneekor, that will leave you with around $1500 for a PC if you don't already have one, a mat, display, and net. It might be tight but that's probably your best option for that price range. If you don't need left/right you can probably find a used GC2 for around $4500.

1 hour ago, Linkkingx said:

If left/right play is a a must, you can get a new Uneekor QED with the base software for $6000. The best sim software out there in my opinion is this new one in development called GSPro. It's been in beta for a while now so it is free. The only cost associated is $30 every 6 months to join the simulatorgolftour.com website, which is fully integrated into the sim software. They have weekly tournaments and a growing user base. You can get all the details about in on their Discord channel. It's currently integrated with Uneekor (QED and Eye XO) and the Foresight GC2 and Quad. Depending on tax if there is any on the Uneekor, that will leave you with around $1500 for a PC if you don't already have one, a mat, display, and net. It might be tight but that's probably your best option for that price range. If you don't need left/right you can probably find a used GC2 for around $4500.

From what I have heard the Uneekor QED will be going up in price to $7K at the beginning of 2021. It's a solidly built unit though. Works great for lefty & righty. Uneekor kind of hit that middle price point between the the high end Trackman & Foresight GCHawk & the lower end like SkyTrak & Mevo Plus. That being said if your total budget is $7500 with everything you need aside from the unit itself you will probably top out at $10K+.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

Yea 7500 not realistic imo Unless going to do a bunch of used bargain hunting. 

Also consider height of ceiling when comparing simulators and mats. Height evaporates when building a sim

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I would invest in the best launch monitor that's within your budget and do everything else as cheap as possible. You can always piece together a nicer room over time, but the launch monitor itself is the biggest chunk of the budget and really the heart of any sim setup. I started with a Skytrak and ended up selling it and getting a GC2. I wish I would've gone GC2 to begin with.

• Like 1

I agree that Mevo+ is your only option right now at your budget, but if you can stretch a bit, go with a Uneekor QED.
I did the same and so far I've got the projector, PC and QED and spent around $7,500

The mat, screen, enclosure will likely be another 2,500 but I think the QED is a way better system that you'll enjoy a lot longer. 

On the software side, I've got the GSPro beta version which is currently free for testing with a 6 month subscription ($30). After a while I might end up going to TGC 2019

I think the Uneekor is still an option if you're willing to make some sacrifices. When I first set up, I got a used mat from a local driving range for $20 and cut out a spot for the Fiberbuilt flight deck ($53 on Amazon at the moment). I'm sure you can find a preowned PC with decent specs on FB marketplace or piece together one yourself. You can also go with a net and display on the side to save, or get a cheap projector and lower quality impact screen. Like I said, you can make it happen but it would be tight.

If you go with a Mevo+ you can build up a nicer space for sure. The trade off is that radar technology has a harder time picking up short chips and putts and the spin and spin axis are questionable indoors, but probably ok for most. It's also a more finnicky setup to get right. The Uneekor has it's own set of trade offs such as having to use a special marked ball and the cost obviously. You should also take software cost into account as well. The Mevo+ comes with a few E6 courses but will cost you $300/year for a continued subscription. The base Uneekor I believe just comes with a range or something, but it is also compatible with the GSPro software which at the moment only costs $30/6 months. Once out of beta it will probably be more like $200-$300 per year, but that's still relatively cheap compared to other options.

On 12/28/2020 at 2:22 PM, boycer said:

Looking to spend about $7,500 on an indoor simulator.. want to practice and play different courses. Will be in an outdoor garage so plenty of room.  Needs to be left and right handed. 

This is +/- the budget that I built my garage SIM for. IMO, GC2 is pound for pound the best launch monitor you can buy, especially if your setup is going to be indoors. Camera-based systems beat radar-based launch monitors everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's in terms of the accuracy of the ball data captured. 

I'm not sure what they're current wait time is, but I believe you can still get their refurbished units for <$5k. As for right/left capabilities, the unit only weighs a few pounds so switching it for right & left handed hitters isn't cumbersome. I've found that so long as you mark with paint, tape, etc. where the unit needs to be set up for right & left hand orientations, switching the unit back & forth isn't an issue.

As for software, another perk of going with the GC2 is that it can be paired with a variety of different software packages. I've found The Golf Club 2019 (TGC) to be a great value! +/- $1k one-time purchase. But has virtually limitless course options plus a solid driving range. Also has the benefit of having a vibrant online community for online play (although most of what I do is local with friends/family). 

I use a 5x5' Country Club Elite hitting mat. I believe you can still find them at Costco and/or Amazon (+/-$500).

I use a specific golf impact (premium) screen from Carl's Place (https://www.carlofet.com/shop/golf-impact-screens); price depends on sizing. Carl's has ready made kits; I however, used EMT conduit pipes available at any Home Depot to build my frame and purchase a large 30'-10' golf net off Amazon.  

Projectors can / need to vary based on your specific set up. You'll want something with relatively high lumens (3,000+). If space isn't an issue, you can save some $ by not having to buy a short throw projector. I use a View Sonic PJD7828HDL which I think was $600-$700 on Amazon. 

Last but not least is the computer that needs to run the software. You'll want to look at your specific software's minimum requirements. I currently run my sim off an 3+ year old Lenovo gaming computer but prior to that ran it off a Microsoft Surface Book. You just need something with a decent graphics card, a fair amount of ram, and ideally, SSD memory. 

Good luck! Would love to hear about your eventual build. 

1 hour ago, eth4and said:

This is +/- the budget that I built my garage SIM for. IMO, GC2 is pound for pound the best launch monitor you can buy, especially if your setup is going to be indoors. Camera-based systems beat radar-based launch monitors everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's in terms of the accuracy of the ball data captured. 

I'm not sure what they're current wait time is, but I believe you can still get their refurbished units for <$5k. As for right/left capabilities, the unit only weighs a few pounds so switching it for right & left handed hitters isn't cumbersome. I've found that so long as you mark with paint, tape, etc. where the unit needs to be set up for right & left hand orientations, switching the unit back & forth isn't an issue.

As for software, another perk of going with the GC2 is that it can be paired with a variety of different software packages. I've found The Golf Club 2019 (TGC) to be a great value! +/- $1k one-time purchase. But has virtually limitless course options plus a solid driving range. Also has the benefit of having a vibrant online community for online play (although most of what I do is local with friends/family). 

I use a 5x5' Country Club Elite hitting mat. I believe you can still find them at Costco and/or Amazon (+/-$500).

I use a specific golf impact (premium) screen from Carl's Place (https://www.carlofet.com/shop/golf-impact-screens); price depends on sizing. Carl's has ready made kits; I however, used EMT conduit pipes available at any Home Depot to build my frame and purchase a large 30'-10' golf net off Amazon.  

Projectors can / need to vary based on your specific set up. You'll want something with relatively high lumens (3,000+). If space isn't an issue, you can save some $ by not having to buy a short throw projector. I use a View Sonic PJD7828HDL which I think was $600-$700 on Amazon. 

Last but not least is the computer that needs to run the software. You'll want to look at your specific software's minimum requirements. I currently run my sim off an 3+ year old Lenovo gaming computer but prior to that ran it off a Microsoft Surface Book. You just need something with a decent graphics card, a fair amount of ram, and ideally, SSD memory. 

Good luck! Would love to hear about your eventual build. 

Awesome information.  Thanks..

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

11 hours ago, eth4and said:

I'm not really interested in playing indoor rounds, just using something like a driving range for software. Is there anything built in or cheaper on GC2 that you don't have to spend thousands on?

26 minutes ago, rouski12 said:

I'm not really interested in playing indoor rounds, just using something like a driving range for software. Is there anything built in or cheaper on GC2 that you don't have to spend thousands on?

Foresight's in-house FSX software has the best range capabilities IMO for fitting and/or bag gapping applications; unfortunately, it's also one of, if not the, most expensive software platforms. Up until about a year ago GC2 users like myself could use Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf which for driving range & indoor rounds and was a relatively inexpensive yearly subscription (few hundred bucks)... unfortunately, JNPG was acquired by Trackman to be their built-in software suite and in doing so turned the lights out on all non-Trackman hardware. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hopefully another user can offer more insight. 

On 1/3/2021 at 8:42 AM, rouski12 said:

It's worth noting that GC2 gives you all the data on it's screen so software would only give you tracking/recording capability and a visual for shot shape. If getting full-swing data is mostly your goal, you can always get a sim program down the road.

Something to think about if you want the driving range aspect immediately but might want more fleshed-out features in the future.

On 1/3/2021 at 6:42 AM, rouski12 said:

GSPro, it's in beta stage at the moment, likely for another year. With Uneekor you could go with the base software and try this until you're ready to buy something else. This is what I'm doing and costs nearly-nothing to try. It only works with GC2, Quad, QED and EyeXO

• Like 1