Help me decide P770 or mp20 mmc

Jim E

I think I’ve narrowed it down to these 2 irons. I usually shoot in the low 80’s but my game has been steadily improving. I’ve been playing my i3’s for many years so no experience with Mizuno or TM irons. My 7 iron is my 150 yard club. I’ve only tested these in 7 iron and only off mats. 

MMC:

feel softer

very workable(possibly too much?)
look better at address

Not hollow 

P770:

a bit more distance(barely)

beautiful iron

more forgiveness(less workability)

seems more consistent 

has an A wedge in the set(which to me is a big deal)

I’m leaning towards the P770 for consistency and added distance but as I’m improving I’m wondering if being able to work the ball left and right better would be better in the long run. Or the Mizuno not being hollow would also be more durable and also better in the long run. I don’t plan on buying irons again for a long time.

What do you think?

I think you’re pretty educated on the two options.  I have 20 rounds in my P770s and I do enjoy them.  I can move them as needed, but admittedly I play a straight ball/slight draw as default.  I’m down to a 4.2 with them.  I have gamed many sets of Mizuno to include the MP-18 MMC.  If I wasn’t in the 770s I’d be gaming the MP-20 MMCs (I still scour the ‘Bay for perhaps a set to experiment with).

The Speedfoam I hope increases durability over the long run with the 770s, as it’s supporting the face.  I guess time will tell.  Once I got fitted to a proper shaft I could really start to appreciate how stable the 770 head is for what it is.  There’s a good amount of forgiveness built in to the compact shape.  

Thus far I’m satisfied.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

I play off of around a 6 and I found the mmc’s to be fairly unforgiving.  The feel was nice but personally I would have to combo them with hmp’s or something and would probably want to start them at 8 iron to really feel comfortable.  I haven’t hit the 770’s but it is hard for me to imagine that they are not workable enough.  I’m currently gaming ping i500’s and I will probably not go hollow again for at least a generation or two.  I know the 770’s are supposed to feel better than the i500’s so maybe it’s not an issue, but the more I play the i500’s the more it irritates me... 
Did you test the 921 forged?  If I was looking at mmc/770 these would be ones I would be considering, possibly a combo with the tours.  I would also consider the 770’s for the long and mid irons and p7mc for 8-p or 9-p.  I would definitely want to hit the new Srixons before making a decision as well.

3 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Coming from a ping guy surprised the i210s didn't make the cut.  Did you try them?  If so, what did you know like about them?

I gamed i210s for 2 years before switching to P770.  IMO the i210 is dang near perfect. But they have a bit too much bounce for me and needed slightly thinner soles.  The P770 fits that bill.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

Coming from a ping guy surprised the i210s didn't make the cut.  Did you try them?  If so, what did you know like about them?

I tried the i210 a few times. I wanted to like them but just didn’t hit them that well. I’m also looking for a little distance help as well and the i210 was 5-10yards shorter than the others.

8 minutes ago, Jim E said:

I tried the i210 a few times. I wanted to like them but just didn’t hit them that well. I’m also looking for a little distance help as well and the i210 was 5-10yards shorter than the others.

I plan on trying mmc, 770, and i210 so very interested to see how it goes.

19 hours ago, Nick_E said:

I plan on trying mmc, 770, and i210 so very interested to see how it goes.

Definitely test them using the same shaft. I really like the mmc but I thought the 770 was longer and very consistent. I need a little help to keep up with the young guys😀. Mmc looks slightly better at address and I could work the ball really well. It was just really fun to hit. I wish I could afford 2 sets. 

I got fit for 770’s this week. Tried a lot of irons and didn’t even consider the 770 prior to the fitting. I was blown away by these irons. They have a very pleasing sound/feel and look, spin great and have very consistent distance.
 Better feel (to me) than all the one-piece CB’s I tried with the exception of Srixon. 

I liked the jpx forged and HMB but not the mmc’s bc the spin was too low. JPX forged was in the top 3 but had a touch flatter ball flight than the 770’s.  

As a reference, I’m a +1 and have t100s’ currently and the 770’s are exactly what I was looking for in an iron. 

• Like 3

TM SLDR 10.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 60X
913 FD 15* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3X
913 HD 20* - D+ 92X
712 U 4 & CB 5-PW C-Taper S+
sM4 50.12, 54.11, 60.10 C-taper S
see More M3 Platinum

Fitted into 770's in early October, just came in a few days prior to Christmas.  Played twice, love them so far.  Gamed 790's previously, was afraid I would lose a bit of distance with the weaker lofts but if I have it's not noticeable.  Hitting the same irons into the same greens I always have, but with much improved ball flight and spin.  I know it's winter conditions and soft greens but approach shots are stopping on a dime.  Feel is much improved over the 790's which were honestly pretty harsh and clicky if not perfectly struck.  Was a little worried the smaller size would make them less forgiving and maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase but so far I haven't noticed them being any harder to hit than the 790's either.  Bottom line, they're rockets with great feel and look awesome in the bag.  Zero regrets.  

On 12/31/2020 at 12:53 AM, Nobody2 said:

I got fit for 770’s this week. Tried a lot of irons and didn’t even consider the 770 prior to the fitting. I was blown away by these irons. They have a very pleasing sound/feel and look, spin great and have very consistent distance.
 Better feel (to me) than all the one-piece CB’s I tried with the exception of Srixon. 

I liked the jpx forged and HMB but not the mmc’s bc the spin was too low. JPX forged was in the top 3 but had a touch flatter ball flight than the 770’s.  

As a reference, I’m a +1 and have t100s’ currently and the 770’s are exactly what I was looking for in an iron. 

Just curious ... what were you looking for that the T100s didn't provide?  Reason I'm asking - I've demoed and strongly considering the T100S, but the P770s are intriguing (not had a chance to hit them as yet, though).  Thanks.

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

11 minutes ago, Tommy56 said:

Just curious ... what were you looking for that the T100s didn't provide?  Reason I'm asking - I've demoed and strongly considering the T100S, but the P770s are intriguing (not had a chance to hit them as yet, though).  Thanks.

If I were to rank the clubs I hit it would be p770s, mmc, jpx tour, then t100s. 

The feel of 770s, mmc, and tour were close enough.  T100 just felt more clickish.  

The 770s outperformed all the irons on dispersion, height, ball speed with similar spin.  Honestly i wasn't expecting it at all, but once I hit them at least for me it was a clear winner 

• Thanks 1

If you hit your 7 iron 150 yards then I would not be looking at any club with traditional lofts.

P770s are among the longest players irons on the market, but you sacrifice feel and workability for the distance that comes from the hollow face. 

The MMC is a decent option but I expect at your speed you will have a easier time launching the P770 long irons, and they sound like a better option for you based on what you have shared. 

The T100 has been suggested, but it is the least forgiving club of anything mentioned here. Much smaller blade length. Thinnest top line. Even the stronger lofts of the T100s won't help it compete for distance against the MMC or P770. Personally I'm not a fan of the T100 or T100s and didn't enjoy my time hitting either of them. 

I would strongly advise you to check out the Srixon ZX7. It is longer than the P770, is more forgiving than the P770 or MMC, has the softest feel of any players iron i've hit, and sits somewhere between the MMC and P770 in terms of workability. There's tungsten in the longer irons too to help your launch. 

Edited by bombs

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

Just now, bombs said:

If you hit your 7 iron 150 yards then I would not be looking at any club with traditional lofts.

P770s are unquestionalby the longest players irons on the market, but you sacrifice feel and workability for the distance that comes from the hollow face. 

The MMC is a decent option but I expect at your speed you will have a easier time launching the P770 long irons, and they sound like a better option for you based on what you have shared. 

The T100 has been suggested, but it is the least forgiving club of anything mentioned here. Much smaller blade length. Thinnest top line. Even the stronger lofts of the T100s won't help it compete for distance against the MMC or P770. Personally I'm not a fan of the T100 or T100s and didn't enjoy my time hitting either of them. 

I would strongly advise you to check out the Srixon ZX7. It is longer than the P770, is more forgiving than the P770 or MMC, has the softest feel of any players iron i've hit, and sits somewhere between the MMC and P770 in terms of workability. There's tungsten in the longer irons too to help your launch. 

When I looked at the mmc, jpx tour, t100, 770 there was very little difference in blade length. Were talking a mm or 2.  Top line a little thicker on 770, but just barely, again hard to tell.

On lofts for 7 iron

770 - 33

MMC - 32

Jpx tour - 34

T100 - 32

Zx7 - 32

I didn't have an issue with feel on 770 and worked it both ways.  Its no mmc but wasn't struggling.

I haven't hit srixon so I can't comment, but for someone that's never even considered 770s hit them at least.

33 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

When I looked at the mmc, jpx tour, t100, 770 there was very little difference in blade length. Were talking a mm or 2.  Top line a little thicker on 770, but just barely, again hard to tell.

On lofts for 7 iron

770 - 33

MMC - 32

Jpx tour - 34

T100 - 32

Zx7 - 32

I didn't have an issue with feel on 770 and worked it both ways.  Its no mmc but wasn't struggling.

I haven't hit srixon so I can't comment, but for someone that's never even considered 770s hit them at least.

I wouldn't compare the 770 to the jpx tour or t100.  I don't know anything about the mmc or zx7, so I can't speak on those. 

I play the 770s in the 4 and 5(weak), so I don't have to carry a hybrid.  Justin Rose has a similar set up, but I don't like how he goes 770(4), 5(mc), P730(6-pw).  I've played the jpx tour for a few years and that is like comparing my driver to a 4 iron.  If you are looking for forgiveness, distance and consistent spin, I would go with the 770.  If you are looking for a slightly forgiving VERY Consistent player's iron, I would go for the t100 and in your case the t100s over almost anything. 

The jpx tour is a very unforgiving club even though it is marketed as a more forgiving option to the mp20.  You really have to consistently strike it out of the center with some high swing speed to get consistent numbers out of it.  I just dropped my jpx900 tours (i've played for a few years) for the P7mbs because the launch and spin numbers were more consistent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tommy56 said:

Nick_E had similar thoughts but here goes:

My t100s’ are 1* weak as the flight is a little strong for my liking. 770’s fly higher with higher spin and go the same distance. 

I have dg 120 s400 and not a big fan. they are a little harsh feeling. If I purchased again I’d go t100 and s400 or modus 120

I played 712CB’s for 6 years and love them. They are softer and a thicker top line. The t100 was not more forgiving (which is what I wanted) and look even less forgiving. 770 actually has very similar feel and size to my 712. 

t100’s feel hard in comparison to the 770’s. I didn’t consider the 770’s before my fitting bc I do not like the feel of hollow irons. 770’s have no click to them which surprised me. 

770’s are more forgiving. My miss is center thin and the t100s’ don’t perform well when hit thin; even a groove or 2. 770 still gets up in the air with less loss in distance. Feedback on misshits is not as pronounced on 770 but who really cares. I still know where I hit it. 

as far as workability, 770’s are not a MB, and I’m OK with that. Most tour guys are not working the ball both ways to get at flags so I sure as heck don’t need to. With that said, I had no issues hitting all 9 windows with a 7i. 

• Like 2

TM SLDR 10.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 60X
913 FD 15* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3X
913 HD 20* - D+ 92X
712 U 4 & CB 5-PW C-Taper S+
sM4 50.12, 54.11, 60.10 C-taper S
see More M3 Platinum

5 hours ago, bombs said:

P770s are among the longest players irons on the market, but you sacrifice feel and workability for the distance that comes from the hollow face. 

Yes, I definitely want to go hit the zx7. Is it in stores here in the US yet?

On 1/1/2021 at 12:55 PM, Nick_E said:

I just hit p770 and mmc.  Mmc feels great, buttery feel, very consistent.  Very clean look.

770s though were amazing.  Awesome feel, better launch, better descent angle.  And on thin shots provided more forgiveness.  Im sold on 770s and ordered a set. 

Hi Nick, I’m ordering the P770’s tomorrow. I’m wondering if you’ve had a chance to play much with the long irons. I’m trying to decide if I should go p790 in 4-5 irons. I’ve only hit the 7 irons.

what do you think?

On 12/29/2020 at 6:39 AM, bvanlieu said:

Hot take here, may get my WRX card pulled. 

Workability is over rated. Anyone above scratch, we see the target we want to hit it strait at target.

We see more side spin and shot shaping hitting the blades and we convince ourselves this is good to purchase them 🙂 

When do I realistically try to shape shots? When a tree is in the way. I work hard to minimize this initial position and don't worry about shaping. I can hit a cut/draw from trouble and do practice that shot on the range as that shot comes in handy. 

If I was buying a new set today with what I know about my game, I'd go P770s over the forged CBs I did buy in 2017 (which were...P770s. They 790's launched 2 weeks after I got my 770s :D)

OP, I am a fan of blending as well. Less help is needed 8-W, nothing wrong with some help 7-5. So in 2018 I snagged some P790s to blend at the top of the bag. Its a compromise to me between liking the feels of the softer clubs and objectively knowing my misses are overall better with the 790s on the harder to hit shots. 

Try the P7MC  and may be a combo set gets you into that same happy place balancing some feel with help. 

Agree....and I think that lots of us confuse workability and forgiveness. Workability is based on physics. Gave to path its is what causes curve and I have hit plenty of "forgiving" clubs that with a poor strike become very "workable"....I think workability is a player skill and forgiveness is club tech.  Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Jim E said:

Hi Nick, I’m ordering the P770’s tomorrow. I’m wondering if you’ve had a chance to play much with the long irons. I’m trying to decide if I should go p790 in 4-5 irons. I’ve only hit the 7 irons.

what do you think?

Let us know the outcome! I have a fitting in March and am leaning towards TM irons again and potentially a 790/770 split.  Have not hit either yet though so we shall see but would love to hear a review!

• Like 1