Golf In Canada

2 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Nice thanks for this! Silly question on the brutal winters... what I understand is that homes, shopping centres, places of work etc are fairly geared to the cold and less light right? So when its winter and you head out to the shop or the office its not unbearable? What I am assuming is that come weekends you either need to ski / snowboard (if the weather allows) or your inside watching some tv or hanging out with family and friends as the outside world is a snowy ice park? Meaning that when its brutal your getting many "bad" days on weekends where you cant do anything? Or is there still option to head into town when its snowed under and do something? (Assuming golf outside is out haha)...

In the more northern areas where temps get into the -20's regularly the norm is for it to be cold and clear/sunny. Most of the time it's not snowing when it's -20(the winter of 2019/20 being an exception here). A temp of -25 while getting 30cm+ of snow in two days is pretty demoralizing but thankfully uncommon here. Also in areas outside of the big cities in the most southern parts of the country snow clearing is generally pretty efficient and all but the most major storms rarely shut anything down.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One final rec to the OP: you have come this far in life, do not under any circumstances subject yourself and your family, voluntarily, to a full blown Canadian winter. You will not be thanked by anyon

Typical Canadian.  "Pros and Cons with everyone..."  C'mon, take a stand!!!  🤪

C'mon guys, Canada is not that big. Don't we all know each other? How many times have you been asked(after you identify yourself as Canadian) "Do you know Joe Blow from Vancouver?" "Yes by' he's right

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Nice thanks for this! Silly question on the brutal winters... what I understand is that homes, shopping centres, places of work etc are fairly geared to the cold and less light right? So when its winter and you head out to the shop or the office its not unbearable? What I am assuming is that come weekends you either need to ski / snowboard (if the weather allows) or your inside watching some tv or hanging out with family and friends as the outside world is a snowy ice park? Meaning that when its brutal your getting many "bad" days on weekends where you cant do anything? Or is there still option to head into town when its snowed under and do something? (Assuming golf outside is out haha)...

Yeah, all houses, buildings, and vehicles in Canada are built for cold in the Winter and heat in the Summer. Our houses and buildings have insulation built in, strong furnaces for the Winter and Air Conditioners for the Summer.

During the Winter, there are lots of indoor activities geared for adults and kids (pre-COVID lockdowns) with everything from indoor pools, gyms, sports, shopping, malls, movie theatres, restaurants, concerts, play areas etc. There are also indoor golf simulators that have leagues, memberships etc.

For outdoor Winter activities, it depends on where you are...some areas have skiing (downhill and cross-country), snowboarding, tubing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, skating, hockey etc, but lots of people don’t do any of those and just mostly stay indoors in the Winter, hence Chanceman’s line of “going from one hot box to another”.

Winter is just a reality of most parts of Canada that we accept as a part of life. Some parts of Canada are blessed to have less harsh Winters, but most aren’t and we suck it up and make the best of it.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM Max D (9* @ 10.5*) / UST Mamiya Helium

Callaway Rogue (15*) / Aldila Synergy Blue 60 S

Callaway Rogue X (20*) / Aldila Synergy Blue 60 S

TaylorMade Tour Preferred (3-7 MC/ 8-PW MB) / True Temper XP 95 S300

TaylorMade Milled Grind (52*, 58*) / True Temper Dynamic Gold

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred / TaylorMade Redline Monza

🇨🇦🤣

A792CE06-A87C-49E2-89FC-84F7CE8034BA.jpeg

52 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, all houses, buildings, and vehicles in Canada are built for cold in the Winter and heat in the Summer. Our houses and buildings have insulation built in, strong furnaces for the Winter and Air Conditioners for the Summer.

During the Winter, there are lots of indoor activities geared for adults and kids (pre-COVID lockdowns) with everything from indoor pools, gyms, sports, shopping, malls, movie theatres, restaurants, concerts, play areas etc. There are also indoor golf simulators that have leagues, memberships etc.

For outdoor Winter activities, it depends on where you are...some areas have skiing (downhill and cross-country), snowboarding, tubing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, skating, hockey etc, but lots of people don’t do any of those and just mostly stay indoors in the Winter, hence Chanceman’s line of “going from one hot box to another”.

Winter is just a reality of most parts of Canada that we accept as a part of life. Some parts of Canada are blessed to have less harsh Winters, but most aren’t and we suck it up and make the best of it.

Awesome, sure by the time we can come across Covid would have calmed down! 

What is golf like for Juniors in Canada? My son is turning 4 and would love to get him into the game if he so wishes... he enjoys coming with me in the golf cart now and playing in the bunkers... building blocks 😂

Cobra SZ Driver, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI, 60-X

Cobra SZ Tour Fairway, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI, 70-X

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Mizuno MP5 4-PW, True Temper X100

Cleveland RTX 3 50, 54, 60

Ping G2 Anser

6 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

I also live there, the brutal part is usually just 2 weeks where it’s super cold a winter. But after that it’s not bad, you just wear a jacket and a toque (winter hat) but you don’t stay inside the whole time. You still can do outside activities, skating or cross country skiing and stuff like that. Of course there’s indoor golf simulators. But golf seasons awesome with the late sunsets, in July I’ll work a 12 hour day shift and then go play twilight priced 18.
There’s also so many courses that I’d recommend not even getting a membership so you can go play wherever you want. You can also get a discount pass (vip golf) if you play lots and save a ton of money. 

8 minutes ago, ewaldbeukes said:

What is golf like for Juniors in Canada? My son is turning 4 and would love to get him into the game if he so wishes... he enjoys coming with me in the golf cart now and playing in the bunkers... building blocks 😂

Yup, hopefully COVID will be a bad memory soon! 

For kids’ golf, I can only speak to my area (Barrie, 45 mins North of Toronto)...we have a few courses here where kids under 13 can actually play for free when accompanied by a parent. We also have a course here where they have family nights on Sundays and you only pay $25 for an adult + 1 child. Probably not possible closer to Toronto where it’s way more expensive and high demand, or places like Victoria or Vancouver, but here in Barrie it’s a family friendly small city and golf is still pretty affordable.

We have really good junior golf programs here in Edmonton as well. I know last summer they were running a program where kids could play a few courses for something like $5. It was really popular and lots took advantage. I complain a bit about living here, but usually (pre-Covid) it isn't that bad. We just take a few trips in the winter (Phoenix or Palm Springs) to get some sun and golf in. And the summers are awesome. 

Driver & 3 wood: Ping G400

Hybrid: Adams

Irons (4 to 9): Ping I200

Wedges (46, 50, 56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0

Putter: Ping Anser or Myday

7 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Usually most clubs offer a very attractive junior rate.

At my club the rate is less than $600 per year for unlimited play and use of practice areas. 

Juniors also have signing privileges around the club (the 1st day my son played with his friends I got a call from the associate pro asking if it was ok for him to charge a box of Pro V's to the account .... lol) and can bring guests.

Note that juniors are restricted to play after 2pm in the summer but in Vancouver it does not get dark till after 9pm.