Does game a 3 iron anymore?

I game Srixon zu85 3i which comes in handy when I'm playing a course with tight fairways and lots of trees. It keeps me from turning into a lumberjack. I do switch to using 4H with same loft but just can't seem to hit hybrid as pure as my 3I. Plus, my 3I gets more after carry distance so I love teeing it off on downsloping drives. Typically, I get consistent 200 carry with 15 ish additional run. Best drive so far was 250 yards hitting downsloping 400 yard par 4 right down the middle of fairway.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still carry a 2 iron on some courses and a 3 iron all the time. I do it solely for the intimidation factor and always tee off on number one with it to just let everyone in the foursome know I’m bett

Interesting how many here list their current “ 4 iron “ as a 3 iron because of loft and yet when you flip this subject around to modern lofts many will say that “ my 9 iron goes 160 yards and it’s a 9

I've never been good at hitting hybrids, so I've gamed a 3 iron or 3 iron driving iron. Now I have a NCW custom 3 iron in the bag that I keep for tight par 4's, or layups. I don't hit it very high, bu

Posted Images

3 wood, 2 iron hybrid, 3 iron. 4 iron goes 200-210 so there would be a large gap in my 210-260 range if I stopped at a 4 iron and went to a 3 iron hybrid. 

Additionally I don't get to practice a whole lot anymore and becoming an expert with my 58 degree wedge is more valuable than being okay with a 60 and a 56. 

3 & 4 iron are long gone for me. Last few years also stopped carrying a 5 iron. My irons start at 6 but at 26.5 degrees it's somewhat close to traditional 5 iron. I play what works best for me.

I play with guys who carry 3 & 4 irons but they don't hit them very consistently. They would probably be wise to switch to a hybrid or even a 7 wood but ego seems to stop them from doing so.

Driver: Cobra SZ Extreme @ 11.5 Degrees

5 Wood: Cobra F8 @ 17 Degrees

Hybrid: Cobra 3-4 OS @ 20.5 degrees

Hybrid: Cobra F9 @ 24 Degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 19's 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degrees

Putter: PXG Closer

I do not have an iron in my bag with a 3 on it. Havent in years. 

TM SIM Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
TM P790 6 Nippon Modus 3 130, Black 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Milled Grind 2 Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
TM Hi-Toe Big Foot 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I used to have a set of Titleist DCI 981s that I took all the way down to a 1 iron, though I rarely carried anything longer than the 2i or 3i. I have always had a difficult time with fairway woods, so 10 years ago when I started playing Mizuno MP-H4s I special ordered a 3i (which is actually a hollow-head iron-based hybrid,.looks.like a thick iron) and I loved THAT so much I special ordered the 2i. So now I carry a driver, 2i-PW, GW, SW, LW and putter for my 14 clubs. Love this set, though it's probably time to upgrade.

So not exactly a 3i but a lot closer than most hybrids.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Chuck905 said:

3 (20*) iron mb is my true longest iron now after swapping my 2 (18*) mb for a 17* driving iron; more versatile.

The 3 is great for tee shots where I need tight dispersion or a certain yardage.

I still carry an iron in the 1i/2i slot (17* or 18*), but I admit I've not tried a utility in that slot.  It's something I should explore at some point.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I got fit a couple  of years ago for Ping G400 irons.  They only came 4-pw. I found 2 options from Ping a hybrid- I've never liked hybrids,  or what they called a crossover.  The 3 iron looks like a driving iron and only comes in graphite but I can smoke it.  Would have enjoyed a traditional 3 iron option but I certainly enjoy this without needing a hybrid 

I put mine back in a few weeks ago after loaning my hybrid to a friend to try. I love it, but it just doesn’t fly far enough. The hybrid I have (3i & hybrid both 20 degrees) is just fits a bit better distance wise between 4i & 3 wood.

Taylormade M3 9.5 @ 10.25 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Titleist 816 H2 (20) Aldila Rogue Black 85X 
Titleist 716CB 3-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1X

I still believe in the value of a 3-iron...just can’t get the same consistent accuracy from a Hybrid off the Tee! I actually wanted a 3-iron so badly for my set that I drove 5 hrs round trip to buy one used, Lol!!

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik (10.5*) / Tensei AV Blue 65

Callaway Mavrik (15*) / Rogue White 130 M.S.I. 70

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / Hzrdus Black 6.0 85

TaylorMade P790 (4), (5-PW Coming soon...)

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred (36")

🇨🇦

I'm known as "Hybrid Dave" among my playing buddies, so no, no 3 iron for me.  They laugh and call me that as my ball flies high and lands soft on (or safely nearby) the green, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to think that says anything about whether they ought to use hybrids in their  3 and 4 spots. They stubbornly continue to carry and hit their 3 and 4 irons, mostly with poor results.   I think hitting that long iron pure 1 out of 10 times provides a better "rush" than hitting a hybrid "adequately" 8 out of 10 times.  I'm fine with "adequate" from 3 and 4 iron distances.  

• Like 1
Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 16* Hybrid with Proforce V2 86 
Cobra Baffler T-Rail 7-wood with GD YS-6+
Adams Pro Mini 23* and 26* Hybrids w/RIP Tour 115
Adams XTD Forged 6-PW w/RIP Tour 115 
Vokeys: SM4 52F-12, SM4 56M-11, WedgeWorks 60T-04, all w/RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
18 minutes ago, DaveGoodrich said:

I'm known as "Hybrid Dave" among my playing buddies, so no, no 3 iron for me.  They laugh and call me that as my ball flies high and lands soft on (or safely nearby) the green, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to think that says anything about whether they ought to use hybrids in their  3 and 4 spots. They stubbornly continue to carry and hit their 3 and 4 irons, mostly with poor results.   I think hitting that long iron pure 1 out of 10 times provides a better "rush" than hitting a hybrid "adequately" 8 out of 10 times.  I'm fine with "adequate" from 3 and 4 iron distances.  

For me it has nothing to do with stubbornness, just get better consistent results from the 3-iron than the Hybrid. If I could get the same results from the Hybrid, I’d have no problem dropping the 3!

🇨🇦

I carry my set 22* 4i that came with a KBS Tour 90 shaft (~95 grams trimmed). I refit it with a 75-gram hybrid shaft and use it primarily as a driving iron. The lighter weight gives a medium launch, with some straight rollout.

It also makes a good approach club from the fairway, into the wind.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

2 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

For me it has nothing to do with stubbornness, just get better consistent results from the 3-iron than the Hybrid. If I could get the same results from the Hybrid, I’d have no problem dropping the 3!

Sorry, I'm not meaning to imply anything about anyone posting here.  I know guys who hit their long irons well, the guys I play with (mostly high single digits) aren't them.  

Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 16* Hybrid with Proforce V2 86 
Cobra Baffler T-Rail 7-wood with GD YS-6+
Adams Pro Mini 23* and 26* Hybrids w/RIP Tour 115
Adams XTD Forged 6-PW w/RIP Tour 115 
Vokeys: SM4 52F-12, SM4 56M-11, WedgeWorks 60T-04, all w/RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
40 minutes ago, DaveGoodrich said:

Sorry, I'm not meaning to imply anything about anyone posting here.  I know guys who hit their long irons well, the guys I play with (mostly high single digits) aren't them.  

For sure, no offense taken. Just saying maybe the guys you play with have similar experiences with tighter dispersal with the 3-iron or 4-irons vs Hybrids. I’ve found my Hybrid much more difficult to control than irons off the turf and off the Tee, but obviously can’t speak for your buddies.

🇨🇦

I have a 21° 3 iron that I bag once a year for our "irons only" tournament. I'm too scared to hit it off the deck but have hit some great drives with it off the tee. 

Edited by kiwihacker

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Yes sir! I interchange between it and a hybrid but since putting a Tour AD in my 3 iron it has become an absolute rocket launcher off the tee and it has been in the back more often than not.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

7 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

I play a Srixon Z565 3 iron and love it off turf or tee.

In times past I always gamed a 1 or 2 iron, particularly liked a BeCu Ping Eye2 2 iron.

The Srixon is so easy to hit, very forgiving, I've thought about a driving iron but figure this does a similar job, probably a little better off turf.

Not a hybrid fan.

Same here. I can’t hit a hybrid to save my life. 

I gave up the 3-iron when I switched to single-length irons. The manufacturer (Wishon) didn't even make one for the set (Sterling) because you can't get proper gapping with one at the length Wishon builds them (36.5"--an 8-iron length). 

I did have a Ping driving 3-iron in my bag for awhile, but that's been replaced with Ping G410 3- and 4-hybrids. (My Sterling set has been replaced with Wishon's new EQ1-NX, 5-iron through SW.) I liked the Ping driving iron, but the need for the 4-hybrid caused me to add the 3-hybird as a replacement.

I also dumped my 3-wood in favor of the TM Original mini-driver because of the presence of those two hybrids. A better choice off the tee than the 3-wood, still able to hit it off the deck, but I almost never do because of the hybrids.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60)
2W: TM Mini Driver
3H: Ping G410 (19 degrees)

4H: Ping G410 (22 degrees)
Irons: Wishon EQ1-NX Single Length 5I-SW (UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES “S” Flex 86 grams)

LW: Callaway Mack Daddy 4
Putter: Bloodline (center-shafted mallet)
Ball: Titleist ProV1 (2021)

Glove: Bionic Performancegrip Pro

Shoes: Sqairz 20/20

I have a 716cb 3 iron that was part of my last set that were replaced by srixon 785 The 716 has "traditional" 21* of loft but the 785 4 iron is 22*, so essentially the same with a different number. It would be interesting to know % of "3" irons still being gamed that are non-driving iron, non graphite shafted or have matching shaft to the irons or non < 20* loft.

Side note...as I write this, I realize my first order of business tomorrow will be to hit MP14 3 iron on the sim. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9* @ 8.25* - Kuro Kage Dual Core 60TX (44.75")/ Fujikura Atmos Patriot 7x (44.75")

Driver: TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2 9.8*@8.3* Kuro Kage Dual Core 60TX (44.25)

Titleist 917F3 13.5* (A1) - Diamana LTD D+ 80x

Titleist 816 H1 17* (B1) - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 818 H1 21* (B1) - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Srixon 785 4-9 (2* Flat) - DG x100; Srixon 965 PW (2* Flat) - DG x100

Vokey SM7 52* @ 50*, Vokey SM8 56* , TaylorMade High Toe 60* (2* Flat) - DG TI S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball

I bought my 785s as a 3-P set but immediately put the 3i in the garage bag.  I hit my 21* 915h well so I don't think much about even attempting to game the 3i, but I might now.  My home course's 18th is a par 5 that dog legs right to the green but has a good size body of water in front.  A good drive usually leaves me in the 200-210 area so getting the ball in the air and having it land somewhat soft is imperative there... I just dont think my 3i pulls that shot off consistently although the 785 3i feels really nice and seems like it could be super friendly.  I will have to take it out one of these days, but maybe not on that course.

Ping G410 LST 10.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Ping G425 Max 14.5* Alta CB 65x

Ping G410 22* Tensei Blue 80s

Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.5

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52, 56, 60 AWT 

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne stealth

Yes, 20° Z545 3 iron. Love it at address, feel, flight, workability, accuracy as an old trusty tee club.  4 utility type iron or hybrid after that.  All have matching steel shafts to my iron set. 

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

I didn't believe it, but P790 3 and 4 iron are game changers. I used to play blade 4 iron and 3 hybrid. hit the 4 iron well for years but it's just cheating with the 790. I'll never hit another traditional 4 iron or hybrid again. I got my MP-4 Yoro's 3-PW, the 3 and 4 haven't even been shafted...

Edited by jds101086

Callaway Mavrik SZ TD 10.5* - Tour AD-DI 6x

Titleist TS3 16.5 -Tour AD-TP 7x

3- Taylormade P790 - Tour AD-DI 105x

4- Taylormade P770 - True Temper Monaco X

5-PW - Mizuno Yoro MP4 - True Temper Monaco X

50, 54, 60 Raw Vokey SM7 - True Temper Monaco X and S

Taylormade MySpider Flow Neck/Odyssey Tri-Hot #3

TP5x

On 12/30/2020 at 12:43 PM, NRJyzr said:

I still carry an iron in the 1i/2i slot (17* or 18*), but I admit I've not tried a utility in that slot.  It's something I should explore at some point.

The big pluses are being able to hit the utility iron off the deck, fairway bunker, touchy fairway (ball below you’re feet or downhill lies) lies and decently out of the rough consistently; where as my blade 2 iron was not even an option on advancing the ball. It’s the difference in playing a long par 4 in 2 shots vs 3 shots in my game.

Secondly and worst, later in the round or playing a double header when I am fatigued and need a solid tee shot into a dog leg becomes too daunting. A slight mishit with a utility off the tee isn’t punishing.

Edited by Chuck905