Need advice for updating my dad's bag (high handicap index)

AdamsAT

My father is 76 years old and a high handicapper. Golf has been great during this pandemic as it's allowed he and my two brothers to gather regularly and catch up in person as we live in different nearby cities. He cares more about spending time with us than improving his golf game but I'd still like to get him some gear to update his twenty year old set of clubs that we probably got him on discount (I can't even tell you what brand, but definitely not a good one).   

He currently has a driver and 3-PW graphite irons but I am thinking of replacing those longer irons with hybrids. Also, I don't necessarily have to get the latest as he would probably scold me for spending too much money on him.  He hits it straight with low-to-medium trajectory but could use a bit more distance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   

Edited by AdamsAT

TM Sim Max, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Cleveland RTX4 52 mid, 56 mid, 60 low, Dynamic Gold S400

Ping Sigma putter

Really depends on budget 🙂  The drivers in the last 2-3 years would all work well - one of the draw bias 12* models would probably work well.  As for irons, the G400 mentioned above would be a great one to look at or even the G700.  Other major brands have similar models which could work also.  Definitely go the hybrid route - depending on what you can find, even starting with a 6I would work, and put a 5H in the bag.  Recommend staying away from a 3W and going with either a 5W or 7W to help get the ball in the air.  

If budget allows, it would be great to have a fitting for new clubs.  Just a really nice experience.  I did this with my 83 year old father in law a couple of years ago for a driver and had a great time.  

Good luck and enjoy you time with dad.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

What I would do and only if financially possible for you and your two brothers. I would get him a fitting and full bag of clubs just kinda of thank you for him, it may be more than he'd want for clubs but they'd fit him for a long time, he'd enjoy the game more especially spending time with you guys and just shows some appreciation as well. 

That's what I'd do especially if you have others who can chip in. 

• Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Thanks all. I am partial to Ping and wouldn't mind converting him so the G400 or 700 would be good suggestions for irons, especially if the price drops after the release of the G425s.

A fitting is a good idea, especially as I don't have a good read of what are better driver/shaft combos for older high handicap players.   

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Ping Sigma putter

Does he play typical old man golf?  Meaning driver, 3 wood, chip, putt, putt?  Does he have any use for irons longer than an 8 or 7?  The typical high cap old guys I play with need a good driver and long fairway wood.  Then either a hybrid or higher loft fairway.  A 36 or so degree iron to chip with. A couple of wedges and a putter.  Everything else just takes up space.

If you are going to buy irons, I’d suggest Cleveland HB Turbo or similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

26 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

Does he play typical old man golf?  Meaning driver, 3 wood, chip, putt, putt?  Does he have any use for irons longer than an 8 or 7?  The typical high cap old guys I play with need a good driver and long fairway wood.  Then either a hybrid or higher loft fairway.  A 36 or so degree iron to chip with. A couple of wedges and a putter.  Everything else just takes up space.

If you are going to buy irons, I’d suggest Cleveland HB Turbo or similar.

It's more like driver, iron, a few more irons, and then putt, putt. 

Not sure whether he would enjoy a long fairway wood. I know I don't! But definitely will keep in mind higher loft hybrids and fairways. And diversify his wedges as he only uses a PW right now. 

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Ping Sigma putter

Really can't go wrong with Ping.  Callaway pre-owned sometimes has good sets.

Main thing is make sure the shaft is appropriate for him, IMO (assuming you know the proper length and lie can always be checked) - about any decent GI irons should do and help with getting him a better ball flight.  Hybrids a must, 5W suggestions - yep, and 7w if hybrid for that distance isn't his thing.  

• Thanks 1

Snowman might be on to something. Perhaps a minimalist bag if he’s not got very specific distances for each iron. Driver, 3-4 hybrid, 5, 7, 9 iron, gap wedge, sand wedge, putter. Lighter load if there’s ever walking/push cart. A little less decision making, perhaps. 

ping, cobra, Cleveland, or possibly D series Wilson staff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAM01 said:

Snowman might be on to something. Perhaps a minimalist bag if he’s not got very specific distances for each iron. Driver, 3-4 hybrid, 5, 7, 9 iron, gap wedge, sand wedge, putter. Lighter load if there’s ever walking/push cart. A little less decision making, perhaps. 

ping, cobra, Cleveland, or possibly D series Wilson staff. 

A more minimalist bag is definitely  worth considering. It does remind me that he does not maximize the use of his bag. Would save on cost, which would help convince him to get a fitting. 

• Like 2

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Ping Sigma putter

Could you get him a fitting, even if it's for used clubs?

If he has a good swing and squares up the club well, go for hybrids with a square face. People who complain hybrids are hook machines often have hybrids with too much offset.

Along with trying hybrids, have him try higher lofted fairway woods. See if he feels more comfortable with them than hybrids.

I'm rather in between. I do OK with fairways and hybrids.

Also, if his 3W is 15* loft or less, he might do better with a 4W + 7W or a 5W + 7W (and some add a 9W).

6 hours ago, AdamsAT said:

He hits it straight with low-to-medium trajectory but could use a bit more distance

Sounds like his clubhead speed is slipping. In long clubs, higher head loft and higher launching shafts will give him more distance.

Again, a fitter can help on this, even if it's used clubs. The golf shops want to get those used clubs back out the door to recoup their trade-in $$.

• Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

33 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Could you get him a fitting, even if it's for used clubs?

If he has a good swing and squares up the club well, go for hybrids with a square face. People who complain hybrids are hook machines often have hybrids with too much offset.

Along with trying hybrids, have him try higher lofted fairway woods. See if he feels more comfortable with them than hybrids.

I'm rather in between. I do OK with fairways and hybrids.

Also, if his 3W is 15* loft or less, he might do better with a 4W + 7W or a 5W + 7W (and some add a 9W).

Sounds like his clubhead speed is slipping. In long clubs, higher head loft and higher launching shafts will give him more distance.

Again, a fitter can help on this, even if it's used clubs. The golf shops want to get those used clubs back out the door to recoup their trade-in $$.

Didn’t realize getting fit into used clubs was an option but it makes a lot of sense that shops would provide this as an option.

You’re right about his swing speed. It is slipping though years of playing tennis is keeping it from declining too much. Will be interesting to see what fit clubs could do for him. We always figured that his swing was what it was but I don’t think that’s a true reflection of what he could do on the course

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Ping Sigma putter

9 minutes ago, AdamsAT said:

It is slipping though years of playing tennis is keeping it from declining too much. ...  We always figured that his swing was what it was but I don’t think that’s a true reflection of what he could do on the course

I bet he has a smooth stroke and good balance, from the tennis.

I turned 70 in November; this past summer I went about 10 grams lighter on all my long clubs. Need to reconsider my irons too. The iron distances are becoming more inconsistent.

Hint: in the last three Senior events I played, I was the only one still using steel shafts in his irons. Hmmm...

And, in the final two-day event, I was the only one in our foursome with all "original parts." The others had hip replacements and/or knee replacements.  

• Haha 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

These are all good suggestions about gear and fittings, but I think what you've got here is a 'Dad management' problem.  My guess is that if you and your brothers gave him a fitting as a late Christmas present or something, and you all went out to lunch or whatever afterwards, he'd thoroughly enjoy the outing.

And, if his idea of what golf clubs should cost is fixed in ca. 1995, talk up second hand, demo clubs, open box specials, that sort of thing.  If all else fails, when you and your brothers actually buy the gear, you can always lie and tell him you spent half what you actually paid.  He'll suspect that it actually cost more than you're admitting, but won't really want to know.

This is the voice of experience speaking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DwightC said:

These are all good suggestions about gear and fittings, but I think what you've got here is a 'Dad management' problem.  My guess is that if you and your brothers gave him a fitting as a late Christmas present or something, and you all went out to lunch or whatever afterwards, he'd thoroughly enjoy the outing.

And, if his idea of what golf clubs should cost is fixed in ca. 1995, talk up second hand, demo clubs, open box specials, that sort of thing.  If all else fails, when you and your brothers actually buy the gear, you can always lie and tell him you spent half what you actually paid.  He'll suspect that it actually cost more than you're admitting, but won't really want to know.

This is the voice of experience speaking.

Haha, the thought did occur for me to lie about price.

"Yeah, when I got my new set of Pings, they gifted me these 7,9, and GW irons, with senior flex graphite shaft. What was I going to do with these? Here you go". He might buy it or maybe it's more likely he would believe that it was part of a BOGO sort of deal. 

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Ping Sigma putter

14 hours ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Advice?  Stop treating your father like a child.

That's a totally valid point.  It certainly is way of interacting with my parents that I fall victim to during this pandemic. 

Wanted to thank everyone for all of the feedback. Lots of great ideas and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can get my dad.  Since it's Dec.31, Happy New Year/Good Riddance 2020 to everyone! Looking forward to lots of good golfing this year.   

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Ping Sigma putter