2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

JDM version vs US version

ReidThompson

7 hours ago, ReidThompson said:

In Tour spec golf there are JDM versions and US but no descriptions as to the differences.  Anybody know what they might be?   Specifically to Srixon but other explanations may help with other brands.  

@ReidThompson: Ok i searched TourSpecGolf for your specific Srixon JDM question (and also none the wiser / didn't get much more details on the specifics , eg for the ZX7 irons / ZX5 irons / ZX5 Driver)

... So here's my 2 cents/ guess...
(a) Shafts/ components:  Usually JDM / Asian-spec stock driver shafts = Lighter / more torque. e.g. Cobra drivers from a few years ago (e.g. FlyZ / F6 era) for USDM = Matrix shafts. JDM = Fujikura stock-shaft. The Upcharge shafts = also different range for JDM?

(b) for fully-built irons:  JDM stock shafts might be NS Pro GH950 (vs TT Dynamic Gold / KBS for USDM).  
..I've also seen a few examples where the JDM iron heads = Less-offset (e.g. Miura Passing Point PP9003 & the 'Straight Neck' JDM version? And Miura's global distribution usually use the 'Miura' branding, vs 'Miura Giken' for the JDM?
..These GolfWRX Forum Links = some discussion w.r.t. other differences: 
(2008)

http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/topic/29524-miura-international-vs-miura-giken-japan/

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

Shafts are the biggest difference and as stated above, the tendency is to lighter and as a general rule with a softer tip.  As an example, TSi3 fairway in most stores now comes in four offerings:  two ‘made for’ shafts at about 45 and 55 grams and real deal AD-DI 5 and AD-DI 6.  The ‘made for’ is about ¥40,000 and the AD-DI is about ¥49,000.

The only DG you will see these days on any rack is DG 120 with the exception of Vokey wedges which generally come in S-200, Nippon 950GH, or Modus 105.  The Vokey forged, which are not real popular and are currently on sale for ¥14,000 almost exclusively are found with either S-200 or occasionally a Diamana graphite shaft.

In the Srixon line, the stock option is ZX5 Modus 105 and ZX7 Modus 120.  The grips seem to be just a skosh undersized.

Hybrids come with a steel shaft option that is pretty close to ‘equivalent iron’ length.  In Ping 425 it is Modus 105.  In TS2/3 it was Nippon GOST and 950GH neo.  In Srixon it is 950GH neo.  The GOST feels awesome.  The 950GH neo not so much.  Haven’t hit the Ping.

Regarding stuff like Titleist Vega, TM Gloire, OnOff, Royal Collection, Miura, Edel, Callaway Legacy Black and such:  lived here nearly six years over a couple of stints and never, not once, seen any of it on any golf course.

• Like 2

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

17 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

JDM stiff shafts are usually S-200. And yes, woods may be 1 degree flatter.

And to add they are typically 1/4" to 1/2" shorter with lighter swing weights.   

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

@ReidThompson Saw this 'FullyEquipped' podcast (from ~11m30s mark) mention "...The Gear Spotlight is then put on equipment only available in the Japanese market " (JDM differences / specs vs USDM = "flatter", "longer", "lighter"... ~15min30s mark)  & thought you'd be interested.

https://fullyequippedgolf.podbean.com/e/what-taylormades-christmas-card-means-for-this-years-tour-staffs-interview-evnroll-ceo-guerin-rife-part-1-of-2/

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/what-taylormades-christmas-card-means-for-this-years/id1476863701?i=1000502799459

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@ReidThompson Saw this 'FullyEquipped' podcast (from ~11m30s mark) mention "...The Gear Spotlight is then put on equipment only available in the Japanese market " (JDM differences / specs vs USDM = "flatter", "longer", "lighter"... ~15min30s mark)  & thought you'd be interested.

https://fullyequippedgolf.podbean.com/e/what-taylormades-christmas-card-means-for-this-years-tour-staffs-interview-evnroll-ceo-guerin-rife-part-1-of-2/

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/what-taylormades-christmas-card-means-for-this-years/id1476863701?i=1000502799459

Yes sir. Thank you!

A couple of years back I asked a Callaway Japan rep about the differences between JDM vs US version if the same club and he said the biggest differences was that the tolerances are tighter in Japan (stated vs actual loft, weight, etc) based on the expectations from the market as a whole. 

Also the stock shaft options can be different.  For example the Tisi in the US have a greater number of no charge stock shaft options than in Japan where they only have two options (one a 40 gram and the other a 50 gram shaft).  Because of this there are a lot of companies importing clubs from the US. 

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

• 3 months later...
On 1/12/2021 at 7:01 AM, 3_Putt_Par said:

A couple of years back I asked a Callaway Japan rep about the differences between JDM vs US version if the same club and he said the biggest differences was that the tolerances are tighter in Japan (stated vs actual loft, weight, etc) based on the expectations from the market as a whole. 

Also the stock shaft options can be different.  For example the Tisi in the US have a greater number of no charge stock shaft options than in Japan where they only have two options (one a 40 gram and the other a 50 gram shaft).  Because of this there are a lot of companies importing clubs from the US. 

That’s good to know. I once asked Callaway to see if there is any material difference between jdm and us x-forged 18 model. I didn’t get any response. 😕

• 8 months later...

I have a JDM callaway epic driver and it is (wait for it) “forged” as where the US model is not.   I figured that was Japanese must have lingo to sell even a driver but I have always wondered if I’m the metal was in fact produced different?  When I read up at time it was supposed to feel better (again LOL) but I must say in fairness it does feel really good for a big driver.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bigmean said:

I have a JDM callaway epic driver and it is (wait for it) “forged” as where the US model is not.   I figured that was Japanese must have lingo to sell even a driver but I have always wondered if I’m the metal was in fact produced different?  When I read up at time it was supposed to feel better (again LOL) but I must say in fairness it does feel really good for a big driver.  

You must be referencing the Epic Forged Driver from 1st Gen. Epics. 

Japan only. 

I've got one too! Great Driver! 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:37 AM, dlow206 said:

Are the JDM "Standard" size grips slightly smaller?

@dlow206
I’ve found the Iomics a bit thinner than Golf prides (but still excellent quality... ditto Elite Grips, Perfect Pro, etc)... but typically the Golf Prides in Asia market are same size as the “global spec”

you might want to search the forums (here or tourspecgolf?) , or try to catch the attention of some of the members here with JDM experience eg @LionGolfer @Christen_The_Sloop @Soloman1
 (Apologies in advance... I’m sure I’ve missed out other notable helpful folks who’ve generously shared their responses previously, to my noob questions! 🙏 )

• Like 1

It really depends on the brand and model.  The iomics can run slimmer but that's because they are made that way as opposed to JDM standard being smaller...  I think.  I play Xroz grips now which are pretty much the same size  as your standard GP Tour Velvets.  The Elite grips also vary in size with the XTs playing a bit larger but not marketed as mid size.

Another thing to possibly look out for is weight.  A similar gauge grip that weighs 48 as opposed to 52 grams will likely play slimmer at the lower end as weight savings has to come from somewhere.. assuming same material compound is used.  

Try the Xroz grips.  The material compound is excellent and has a low torque construction.  Although its non cord, the grip is excellent and they are very durable.  I definitely feel less twisting that the GP Tour Velvets as a frame of reference.  The Elite XT grips are also excellent and are a tad larger than the Xroz without compromising weight.  Both are 50 +/- 1 gram.  So far all seem to have come in at a very consistent 50 grams for me.

Edited by LionGolfer
  • Like 1

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

1 hour ago, Bigmean said:

Exactly what I have.  I have other drivers and honestly it is really my favorite driver, not that I am hitting it well now 😂 

My personal low is 66, the Epic Forged Driver was in the bag that day! 

I did not like the 1st Gen. USD Epic Drivers. Feel and Sound were terrible. But, the Epic Forged is a helluva stick. Much different head. Since the Epic Forged, the Epic Line has been good to me! The Epic Flash was an improvement over the Epic Forged. And the Epic Speed was an improvement over the Epic Flash.