Who tried and didn’t like leather grips?

I found quite a few threads on leather grips but the vast majority of comments were very favorable towards leather grips.  Yet very few pros or serious amateurs are going the leather route.  The idea of potentially not having to wear a glove or changing out the grips is definitely interesting to me though.  I’ll probably order one grip to experiment with, but was curious who had tried this experiment and had it not work out.  

I’m also curious how much difference people saw between the cowhide grip masters and the kangaroo ones?  I had some kangaroo baseball spikes back in high school some 25 years ago and they were amazing, but other than that I don’t know much about kangaroo leather and how much better it makes a golf grip.

Thanks,

Matty

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How well you like them depends on your preferences, and the model you choose to try.     I first tried GripMaster several years ago.  I tried one of the moderately tacky grips, thinking the

I got the gridiron version from BestGrips.  Blew the first grip on and went outside to test it.  Took about 10 swings, walked right back in the garage and took it off .  That club wasn't going to stay

Here's the deal. As mentioned above, they come in different levels of tackiness. I play nothing but leather, but there are leather grips I WILL NOT PLAY. I like them as tacky as possible and have been

When I grew up the clubs I learned on had leather grips.  So glad to have modern grips now.    Leather gets slick when wet. If you sweat or play in fun conditions good luck, you will need it. 

Sim max 10.5° ventus red r
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s
Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300 5-U 

mizuno T7 54° Bent to 52°
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind bent to 56°
Ping glide 2 58°. ES bent to 60°
Ping anser

I got the gridiron version from BestGrips.  Blew the first grip on and went outside to test it.  Took about 10 swings, walked right back in the garage and took it off .  That club wasn't going to stay in my hands for anything.  7/8 grips still brand new in packaging sitting in my garage.  Nothing against BestGrips but I guess me and leather aren't going to get along

• Haha 1

How well you like them depends on your preferences, and the model you choose to try.  

I first tried GripMaster several years ago.  I tried one of the moderately tacky grips, thinking the tacky would be more than I'd care for.  Found I didn't care for the grip, it was a bit slick when the weather was drier.  It's gone.  

Were I to guess, and it looks like I'm about to (LOL), this is why jamgam didn't like his leather experiment.  The Gridiron grip is a bit lower on the tacky spectrum, I believe.  He and I may have just picked the incorrect grip model at the start.  (or, obviously, leather isn't his thing)

Last year, I put two Best Grips Microperf grips on my 8 and 9 irons in my MP37 set, for another test.  At first, I wasn't sure, but as the season went on, found them fairly nice.  I think one of my problems was getting a bit of solvent on the grips in the install (I don't have a compressor).  Once the solvent was worked out of the grip, they were pretty good.

Made me think my mistake in my first trial was going lower tack, so I tried a couple Roo grips, installed one on a SW and off I went.  Liked the grip quite a bit, easy to grip with as little tension as I wished.  At the end of the round, it started raining.  I had two shots with my SW over the last two holes, and had zero problems with the grip.  It was just awesome. 

I also decided to try a GripMaster Kidd leather grip.  Don't like this one as much, it's not as tacky.  It's great when it's wet, but in drier conditions, I've found it can be a little on the slick side. 

So, I've got a full set of Roos to install on one of my sets of irons.  Going full-bore once I get the irons reshafted (transitioning to graphite iron shafts, also).  Side note:  I still play with a glove, but it's a lot easier to hit shots without one with the leather.

TLDR version - try one grip, maybe two.  Don't be afraid to go with the tackiest grip available as one option, if you try more than one model.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I have a set of best grips microperfs and I like them a lot. There is absolutely nothing about them that are slippery. I can literally squeeze the club in my hand, open my hand, and it stays there. The more humid it gets, the tackier it gets. As they get dirty, just use warm water, wipe them down and they’re gtg again. I play in ga and it gets pretty hot and humid here and I never wear a glove. The one thing you may or may not like is, the microperfs feel thin. They don’t feel like they have much of an underlay on them. There’s not much cushion with them. 

Edited by Aucaveman

I tried Gripmaster(i think that was the brand) perforated ones 10-15yrs ago and hated it. It was advertised as being tacky but I found it got slick very fast and was near useless if it got damp much less wet. For me it led me to putting a stranglehold on the club which as you know is not conducive to making a good swing. Fortunate I only had it on one club(probably played it for 10-15 rounds) and was only out $20 when I cut it off and tossed it.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Here's the deal. As mentioned above, they come in different levels of tackiness. I play nothing but leather, but there are leather grips I WILL NOT PLAY. I like them as tacky as possible and have been very happy with the ones that are stated by the company as such.

Regardless of which model you decide to try, installation has to be done right. If using DS tape and solvent, ALL SOLVENT MUST BE CLEANED FROM THE GRIP BEFORE USING! If it's just wiped with a rag, it will be slicker than owl sh!t as soon as it gets damp from water or sweat. It MUST be cleaned with something that will remove all of the solvent. I use a small dot of Dawn dishwashing liquid and a bit of water in the palm of my hand and lather up the entire grip for a good 30 seconds. Rinse with water while rubbing until there is no more indication of soap (you should feel the grip start to get tacky once it all off. Towel dry with a cotton towel that does not have fuzz (I use an old dishtowel). If you use a fuzzy towel, you will have a fuzzy grip when you finish. I also clean mine about once a year the same way to get any dirt buildup on the grip off.

BTW, I install all of my grips with painters tape, very mild soap solution and compressed air. Never had a problem with any of them.

BT

• Like 1

Mizuno ST180 10.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 70 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno JPX 850 3w 14.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 43"
Mizuno JPX 850 7w 19.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

I have Gripmasters on almost all my clubs except a few wedges.  Only downside is  I find they lose tackiness and feel harder in colder weather (eg 5c  or colder ) . But , in hot or humid temperatures, nothing beats leather grips.

I still prefer using  a glove even with leather grips.

Cobra LTD/ Atmos Black
Callaway X2hot 4w/ Kuro KageTiNi

Adams Proi hybrid 20 and 23
TM SLDR/ Recoil 110 4-pw/Nike 54, 58,
White Ice Mini T putter

23 hours ago, 2Down said:

When I grew up the clubs I learned on had leather grips.  So glad to have modern grips now.    Leather gets slick when wet. If you sweat or play in fun conditions good luck, you will need it. 

That is the opposite of everything I have heard.  Is that from personal experience with gripmaster type grips or just the old ones?

1 hour ago, jomatty said:

That is the opposite of everything I have heard.  Is that from personal experience with gripmaster type grips or just the old ones?

Just the old ones, in this case my moms Wilson Patty Bergs made in the fifties used by me in the sixties.  That experience keeps them out of my bag. I still like firm grips, as opposed to say winn grips, to get the feel I grew up with.   

Sim max 10.5° ventus red r
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s
Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300 5-U 

mizuno T7 54° Bent to 52°
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind bent to 56°
Ping glide 2 58°. ES bent to 60°
Ping anser

19 hours ago, Bad9 said:

I tried Gripmaster(i think that was the brand) perforated ones 10-15yrs ago and hated it. It was advertised as being tacky but I found it got slick very fast and was near useless if it got damp much less wet. For me it led me to putting a stranglehold on the club which as you know is not conducive to making a good swing. Fortunate I only had it on one club(probably played it for 10-15 rounds) and was only out $20 when I cut it off and tossed it.

I wonder if you tried the same grip model I tried back then.  🙂

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I wonder if you tried the same grip model I tried back then.  🙂

Probably wrote about it on GEA 1.0

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I used Neumann leather grips for a number of years back in the 80s.  I really liked them and as I remember they were really sticky and gave great feel for what the club was doing.  I don't believe that my hands would stand up to grips that firm now days though.  I am playing takimac arthritics at the moment...

I used Best Grips most of last season. At first the no glove was kind of cool. Built up callouses in new areas of my hands!  Then I went back to wearing a glove and realized I preferred that. The Best Grips micro perf are crazy tacky. They’re not going to slip. 

May be a silly reason to get rid of an expensive set of grips but the one thing I didn’t like was the tacky goop would end up on the shafts of my clubs from putting them in and out of my bag. 

Currently trying Pure grips and so far really like them. Super easy to blow on and off with a compressor too. 

The biggest difference on leather grips is most of them are reduced taper (best grips more so than gripmaster) and for some people that just doesn’t work.  Otherwise there are so many different types of leather grips that you can usually find one you like.

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
Ping I200, IBlade 4-P power spec Nippon SPO
Ping Glide 2.0 - 49ss, 55ws heel grind, 60ss wrx grind Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT TOUR BLACK
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

I use leather grips, mostly best grips microperf.  No glove. Love them. There have been some issues though.

I bought an assortment of mastergrips to try, and the one I had on my lob wedge was a little bit thin compared to the best grips on the others.  It was bothering me. I just removed it the other day and replaced it.

I have the mastergrip roo grip on my driver and it is showing wear under my thumb and is a little too soft imo.

The end cap on my 5 wood has fallen apart. It's been ~3 years.

I use gasoline as the solvent for installation, and doused a grip with it.   It made it extremely tacky.

34 minutes ago, mokedaddy said:

The biggest difference on leather grips is most of them are reduced taper (best grips more so than gripmaster) and for some people that just doesn’t work.  Otherwise there are so many different types of leather grips that you can usually find one you like.

I'm a Cadet Medium glove wearer, when I tried the Microperf, I followed the advice seen here and I think on the Best Grips site that suggested I look to the Undersize version of the Mircroperf, as they may be slightly oversized, compared to many standard rubber grips.  The sizing worked out well.

20 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm a Cadet Medium glove wearer, when I tried the Microperf, I followed the advice seen here and I think on the Best Grips site that suggested I look to the Undersize version of the Mircroperf, as they may be slightly oversized, compared to many standard rubber grips.  The sizing worked out well.

Yes that is also true about being slightly oversized.  I play with a buddy and we will hit each other’s clubs and the difference between my standard microperfs and his ndmc is definitely noticeable.

• Like 1

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
Ping I200, IBlade 4-P power spec Nippon SPO
Ping Glide 2.0 - 49ss, 55ws heel grind, 60ss wrx grind Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT TOUR BLACK
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow