Best app for keeping stats WITHOUT GPS?

Hi WRXers,

I know there are a ton of great golf based apps out there, but they all seem to have a GPS requirements which I don’t want. They seem to drain my battery. 

Are there any apps out there that keep strictly stats like FIR, GIR, Putts, strokes gained, etc. without a need for GPS?

Thanks!

Edited by phatcatkev

43 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

There are several.   TheGrint, 18 birdies, Swing U, Golflogix and many, many more.

Strokes gained, may be a stretch.   You may have to look into Game Golf or Arccos.

All of the ones listed require GPS which is the issue. I’ve tried GolfLogix, the Grint, and 18 birdies and they just drain my battery. 

43 minutes ago, Luv2kruz said:

My friends and I will be launching an app shortly called Golfing Analytics (in the next month or so). It does not have a GPS. It keeps basic stats (free with ads) and advanced stats (subscription based). We have strokes gained for putting only right now and may add the other strokes gained categories later. We also have some non-traditional key stats that are quite unique to us which we feel are better for actually developing and executing a game improvement plan. I will post here once it is launched. We will have both Apple and Android versions. Our goal was to target those that wanted to keep stats without all the hardware and fancy stuff (which is expensive and is often too complicated). That's all I wanted for myself and this was the genesis of creating the app. Stay tuned if you are interested.

Sounds cool. But why golfing and not golf analytics? The golf vs golfing debate is alive and well 🙂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Luv2kruz said:

My friends and I will be launching an app shortly called Golfing Analytics (in the next month or so). It does not have a GPS. It keeps basic stats (free with ads) and advanced stats (subscription based). We have strokes gained for putting only right now and may add the other strokes gained categories later. We also have some non-traditional key stats that are quite unique to us which we feel are better for actually developing and executing a game improvement plan. I will post here once it is launched. We will have both Apple and Android versions. Our goal was to target those that wanted to keep stats without all the hardware and fancy stuff (which is expensive and is often too complicated). That's all I wanted for myself and this was the genesis of creating the app. Stay tuned if you are interested.

This is awesome. Looking forward to it. 

22 hours ago, phatcatkev said:

Hi WRXers,

I know there are a ton of great golf based apps out there, but they all seem to have a GPS requirements which I don’t want. They seem to drain my battery. 

Are there any apps out there that keep strictly stats like FIR, GIR, Putts, strokes gained, etc. without a need for GPS?

Thanks!

The Grint works great for me. 
It has everything u ask for and more.

The user interface is very clean and easy to navigate. 

It’s completely free to use, with an option pay a yearly fee to get an official world hdc. 
Cheers, mate

82A97A8D-5880-457B-8602-2469B5234CBF.png

BCDBE5B8-C4E2-4DD7-AC71-A48D99A924A0.png

16A29F9F-EB80-4A42-9CF5-B30ACA9CA544.png

I use the Taylormade app.  If you keep track of your distances on the scorecard, it is super easy to go back and put it in after the round.

Simple greens and fairway stats are fairly useless.  Strokes gained and dispersion tendencies are the only thing that will help you improve.

Edited by Shupe

38 minutes ago, Shupe said:

I use the Taylormade app.  If you keep track of your distances on the scorecard, it is super easy to go back and put it in after the round.

Simple greens and fairway stats are fairly useless.  Strokes gained and dispersion tendencies are the only thing that will help you improve.

Thanks! Does the Taylormade app require GPS? 

1 hour ago, swagee said:

The Grint works great for me. 
It has everything u ask for and more.

The user interface is very clean and easy to navigate. 

It’s completely free to use, with an option pay a yearly fee to get an official world hdc. 
Cheers, mate

82A97A8D-5880-457B-8602-2469B5234CBF.png

BCDBE5B8-C4E2-4DD7-AC71-A48D99A924A0.png

16A29F9F-EB80-4A42-9CF5-B30ACA9CA544.png

Thanks Swagee! In the past, the grint required me to use GPS. Any idea if this has changed? 

• phatcatkev changed the title to Best app for keeping stats WITHOUT GPS?

My personal opinion is that the traditional stats that most apps provide and that most golfers have tracked forever (i.e. FIR, GIR, U/D and #putts) are actually less than satisfactory at helping the average golfer improve their game. Here's why:

1. FIR - on par 4&5s the objective of the tee shot is to set you up for then next shot, which is either the approach to the green or to advance it down the fairway. So long as you hit the ball where you have an open shot at the green/fairway from a reasonable lie, then that achieves the purpose and so we consider that 'good enough'. The traditional FIR stat doesn't differentiate a tee shot that is in the rough vs. one that is out of bounds, both of which are missed fairways but obviously can not be treated in the same manner. So FIR is too precise for the average golfer and doesn't help separate the little misses from the big ones.
  2. GIR - GIR is a hybrid stat where the approach shot is highly dependent on the quality of the tee shot. It does not isolate your ability to hit approach shots on their own. If you are constantly hitting your drives in bad spots, your approach shot ability will appear weaker than it is. So if this stat is improving or declining, what is really causing it to go up or down, your drives or approach shots?
  3. U/D - this is another hybrid stat where two golfing skills (chipping and putting) are being measured together. You can be a great chipper and crappy putter or vice versa and have the same U/D stats. So these skills should be measure separately.
  4. Putting - total putts is also not a very meaningful stat since it doesn't take into account the starting point of your average putt. Those that typically hit a lot of greens in regulation can have higher total putts since they are starting from farther away from the hole vs. someone who misses a lot of greens and then chips it on the green and starts from closer to the hole. The former may be a better putter, but the stats may not show it. Studies have shown that the key differentiator between high skill and low skill golfers is their ability to hole short putts consistently (<5ft) and lag putting capabilities from farther distances (i.e. less three putts). Surprisingly, there isn't a meaningful difference in putting for the in between distances. 

So again, the traditional stats that most apps provide only provide some insight. That's why we came up with other stats that isolate various key golfing skills that can be tracked and improved with crystal clear visibility. For example, when we talk about chipping, we measure the proximity to the hole after the chip and trend your performance over time. If you get better a chipping, you will see your proximity getting closer and closer to the hole. The closer you are, the higher your chance of making the next putt.

Edited by Luv2kruz
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 4:21 PM, phatcatkev said:

Hi WRXers,

Thanks!

I don't know what kind of smart phone you have, but I did a search in Apple app store and found lots of stat apps, most free, that don't even have GPS as an option.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to piggyback off this App thread...

Is there an app out there where I can get specific performance stats for hole by hole? Since I play almost exclusively at one course I'd like to keep track of my hole by hole stats. Average score, putts, GIRs, the works for each hole.

Haven't found an app out there that does that...

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted a similar reply but I use my local Golf Association of Michigan which is tied to GHIN. If you plan on competing it's a credible source, easy user interface, etc. Handicap and Index updates every 15 days. Also with resigning each year you receive Golf Digest for the year, local coupons etc. 

19 hours ago, DennyJones said:

@Luv2kruz, an update?

We have submitted our app to Google and Apple and are literally waiting for approval. We're a couple of days away from launch. 

We did change our approach a little bit from when we first started. We're not going to launch a free version with limited stats because our current data input flow could not be simplified enough to limit data collection to just those free stats, so we felt that most users would find that too cumbersome for limited feedback. So, to start off, we're launching the full version of the app with a 30 day free trial with no limitation on rounds entered. So you can play with it all you like (even entering simulated rounds) to see if it meets your needs. After that, it requires an annual subscription which is very competitively priced. We're going to redesign the input flow for the free version with basic stats a little later. 

I'll post here when the app is available in either of the app stores.

Edited by Luv2kruz
  • Like 2