2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

7 hours ago, Supermilo said:

I wonder if this would fly in the LPGA? Muni He sure winner???  Hinako?  😁  (do google search metrics capture japanese character searches appropriately, chinese?)

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/04/20/pga-tour-bonus-pool-top-players-tiger-woods-bryson-dechambeau/

I don't think this will fly in the PGA either.   As for the LPGA, they need to focus on growing the prize money for everyone, not just the "popular stars" ... besides, the motivation behind the PGA's move is that they are trying to pre-empt the development of the Dubai Super League or World League of Golf.  The PGA Tour is already run by the players for the players ... its not like European club football (soccer) in which the players have little to no say in how it is operated (and boy they are going through their own conundrum of a similar ilk).

I know it was written in jest @Supermilo  ... so forgive me for expounding on it.  

• Haha 1

It will be very interesting to see how she plays and performs in an event that includes many of the best players in the world.  She has been beating up on so many players on the Regional Thai tour that this will be a new experience for her.   On the plus side, much of the focus will be on the Jutanugarns and Patty Tavatanakit so she should be able to just go about her business.

12 hours ago, Nykt1000 said:

What is happening to Sung Hyun Park. Ever since coming back at the end of last year she's been terrible. Looks like she's on track for last place this week.

I have to assume she's still dealing with the shoulder injury. Her course management needs a refresher, too.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

I have to assume she's still dealing with the shoulder injury. Her course management needs a refresher, too.

Course management, I guess which is basically making better decisions, one of her biggest issues which really kills her momentum, is all the red squares on her scorecard most weeks.  Keeping your mistakes to 1 shot instead of 2-3 adds up and is what the Top pro's do much better than most of the field.

But honestly the biggest reason for her struggles is cause I pick her as a member of my team in our contest 🙂

Edited by Stooch
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

With her recent hot streak, Lydia Ko now has more Instagram followers than Danielle Kang.

Next up is Jessica Korda, who's 20,000 ahead.  Nelly, who's 35,000 ahead and moving faster, is probably out of reach.

I'm still on the Hinako bandwagon if we're solely talking about IG followers (proud to say I was one of the first 10k followers of Hinako haha)... Of course, she pales in comparison to walking billboard Muni 😛

• Like 1

I've been a proponent of girls turning pro after high school; after all, they do it all the time at KLPGA and JLPGA.  There're also success stories at LPGA, like Lydia Ko, Brooke Henderson, Nelly Korda, Minjee Lee, Jessica Korda and Lexi.  But I've a change of heart recently.

Maybe it should be a road less travelled, especially at LPGA.  Recent players like Youngin Chun, Suzuka Yamaguchi and Yujeong Son have been disasters.  Youngin and Suzuka were 2019 rookies and their career winnings have been $68,774 and $29,616 respectively.  Yujeong was a 2020 rookie and has made one cut thus far.  

One of their common problems is even though they qualified for LPGA but they finished outside of Top-15 at Q-Series and had limited opportunities to play.   Additionally, the logistics of playing LPGA is much more complicated than in Korea or Japan, tough for eighteen years old.

Hope the new LPGA commissioner will address this issue in his or her tenure.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

Lots to digest here. I have no problem if a top amateur turns pro. Most of you know that I don't think college golf prepares players for the Big Time. It's not easy, but a player can attend college in their late 20s or early 30s if things don't work out. 

On the other hand the Symetra Tour is basically a joke. There's no way a pro can make a living on that tour, so it's a few wasted years trying to gain status on the LPGA, and even then the opportunities are limited. 

We talk a lot about increasing the purses on the big tour, but how about throwing some cash at the feeder series to allow talent to grow? They'll play a measly 20 events this season. The KLPGA will play 32, and they don't have warmer weather in the southern part of the country, playing only April through December. 

• Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Welcome back, Paula!

Paula Creamer signs up for LPGA stop at Kingsmill later this month after mini-tour warmup

"Creamer, 34, who has reunited with longtime coach David Whelan, warmed up in several NWGA (National Women’s Golf Association) events in Central Florida. On April 21, Creamer tied for second at Hawks Landing Golf Club with rounds of 69-72, finishing seven strokes back of Megan Osland. In late March, Creamer tied for third at Stonegate Golf Club at Solivita, carding rounds of 72-77-69."

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lots to digest here. I have no problem if a top amateur turns pro. Most of you know that I don't think college golf prepares players for the Big Time. It's not easy, but a player can attend college in their late 20s or early 30s if things don't work out. 

On the other hand the Symetra Tour is basically a joke. There's no way a pro can make a living on that tour, so it's a few wasted years trying to gain status on the LPGA, and even then the opportunities are limited. 

We talk a lot about increasing the purses on the big tour, but how about throwing some cash at the feeder series to allow talent to grow? They'll play a measly 20 events this season. The KLPGA will play 32, and they don't have warmer weather in the southern part of the country, playing only April through December. 

I agree with your overall sentiment, my point was more about 18 year old thinking they can make the jump.  I got no problem if you wanna try but getting crushed young can have long term effects if you aren't ready.

Take Yealimi Noh and Jennifer Kupcho for example, Jennifer went to college but had she not, I'm betting she would have struggled, she actually learned and improved in college.  Were as I look at Yealimi who is ultra talented but maybe she might have been better served going to school for a year or two, winning a bunch of events maybe win the Annika award.  Now this is a very unfair comparison as Yealimi's college experience would have been altered with Covid, but in a normal year maybe an apt description.  I think Michelle Wie is the best example, talent without a winning pedigree does you no favors in your career.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stooch said:

I agree with your overall sentiment, my point was more about 18 year old thinking they can make the jump.  I got no problem if you wanna try but getting crushed young can have long term effects if you aren't ready.

Take Yealimi Noh and Jennifer Kupcho for example, Jennifer went to college but had she not, I'm betting she would have struggled, she actually learned and improved in college.  Were as I look at Yealimi who is ultra talented but maybe she might have been better served going to school for a year or two, winning a bunch of events maybe win the Annika award.  Now this is a very unfair comparison as Yealimi's college experience would have been altered with Covid, but in a normal year maybe an apt description.  I think Michelle Wie is the best example, talent without a winning pedigree does you no favors in your career.

Yealimi definitely had the game to turn pro. The problem is the lack of playing opportunities. Monday qualifying is a total crapshoot regardless of the talent. 

Michelle would have wasted time in college. In her case it was inept coaching and parents that were a tad too involved. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Yealimi definitely had the game to turn pro. The problem is the lack of playing opportunities. Monday qualifying is a total crapshoot regardless of the talent. 

Michelle would have wasted time in college. In her case it was inept coaching and parents that were a tad too involved. 

I doubt Michelle's would have benefited much from college overall but for her it was kinda avoiding Am events,  I truly believe you never become a winner if you don't learn how to win.  The only benefit for Michelle playing more Am events is that kicking the crap out of your peer group would have taught her how to be a winner.  Chasing the pro spotlight and NIKE endorsement, yeah made her rich but rob her from learning how to be a winner. To be fair, I probably would have taken the money too. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Look no further than Muni He.  She turned pro while just into her second season at USC ... and while she did okay in the Symetra and Q-Series, she never got the priority she needed.  Now she struggles just to get playing opportunities ... mostly by virtue of sponsor invites.   She is only 21 years of age.  She had that one glorious summer at the US Women's Open and decided that she liked it enough that she should go pro.   

It most definitely helped her that she had a NIKE sponsorship (which appears over now) and she has a couple of others still to help pay the bills.  But, she really should have stayed in University another couple of years, because in her position, she simply was not ready for the LPGA ... neither mentally/emotionally or physically.  A few extra years of maturation would have helped her.  And if golf didn't work out, then she at least would have had a degree to fall back on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Look no further than Muni He.  She turned pro while just into her second season at USC ... and while she did okay in the Symetra and Q-Series, she never got the priority she needed.  Now she struggles just to get playing opportunities ... mostly by virtue of sponsor invites.   She is only 21 years of age.  She had that one glorious summer at the US Women's Open and decided that she liked it enough that she should go pro.   

It most definitely helped her that she had a NIKE sponsorship (which appears over now) and she has a couple of others still to help pay the bills.  But, she really should have stayed in University another couple of years, because in her position, she simply was not ready for the LPGA ... neither mentally/emotionally or physically.  A few extra years of maturation would have helped her.  And if golf didn't work out, then she at least would have had a degree to fall back on.

Muni He's priority list this year isn't that bad actually, #1 in Qschool as of 2019 which carried on for 2020 and 2021.. 

• Like 1

Just noticed this tidbit, Maria Fassi underwent knee surgery for a tear. She could be out for a while.

• Like 1