2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

4 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

And she's still not in that many events.   That's the point. 

I dunno. She's played in 5 out of 8 tournaments this year. The Diamonds was a limited (winner) field event. The HSBC was a small limited field, and the ANA was a major that she didn't qualify for. In five events she's missed four cuts. 

She's had a few good rounds, including two rounds in the 60s, but oy, the 82, 79, and 82 just isn't going to cut it. The three 75s and 76 aren't doing much good, either. She seems to have the ability to post rounds in the low 70s, which isn't going to win many tournaments, but it'll certainly keep her out of Q Series if she can figure out how to avoid the blow up rounds.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Just now, Argonne69 said:

I dunno. She's played in 5 out of 8 tournaments this year. The Diamonds was a limited (winner) field event. The HSBC was a small limited field, and the ANA was a major that she didn't qualify for. In five events she's missed four cuts. 

She's had a few good rounds, including two rounds in the 60s, but oy, the 82, 79, and 82 just isn't going to cut it. The three 75s and 76 aren't doing much good, either. She seems to have the ability to post rounds in the low 70s, which isn't going to win many tournaments, but it'll certainly keep her out of Q Series if she can figure out how to avoid the blow up rounds.

I do realise that, but do they not do a shuffle of the priority list soon?  OR is that pushed back or postponed this season?   

I suppose my thought is that she turned pro three or four years too early.  She was a teenager at USC like Patty was at UCLA.  But she is not blessed with physical gifts like Patty or many of the others ... she is very short off the tee (relative to the field), and her entire game is based on putting ... or at least it used to be.  

Here - 2021 is her best year (arguably):

Ave. Distance Driving                       123rd

Greens in Regulation                        105

Putts / GIR                                         151 

Putting Average                                151

Scoring                                              138

Birdies                                               123 

The only category where she is consistently better than the field is with her driving accuracy ... but that isn't really worth a 'hill of beans' if she can't hit greens from there.   And when she does hits GIRs, she almost 2-putts most of them averaging 1.91 putts per GIR ... so her putting has not become the big asset that it was at USC and AJGA.    

So, it is for those reasons that I think she really should not have turned pro yet.  She should have stayed at USC, get some wins under her belt, a good education (assuming it was not Communications that she would have majored in).  Work on her strength and skills with her coach (assuming she has one - and I do not mean the USC Women's Golf Coach).  It also would have given her the time to grow mentally and emotionally too ... which is important.   Now, unless she finds the motivation to focus on her game, to develop and grow, she risks becoming Anna Kournikova of golf ... unless that is what she is satisfied with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

I do realise that, but do they not do a shuffle of the priority list soon?  OR is that pushed back or postponed this season?   

I suppose my thought is that she turned pro three or four years too early.  She was a teenager at USC like Patty was at UCLA.  But she is not blessed with physical gifts like Patty or many of the others ... she is very short off the tee (relative to the field), and her entire game is based on putting ... or at least it used to be.  

Here - 2021 is her best year (arguably):

Ave. Distance Driving                       123rd

Greens in Regulation                        105

Putts / GIR                                         151 

Putting Average                                151

Scoring                                              138

Birdies                                               123 

The only category where she is consistently better than the field is with her driving accuracy ... but that isn't really worth a 'hill of beans' if she can't hit greens from there.   And when she does hits GIRs, she almost 2-putts most of them averaging 1.91 putts per GIR ... so her putting has not become the big asset that it was at USC and AJGA.    

So, it is for those reasons that I think she really should not have turned pro yet.  She should have stayed at USC, get some wins under her belt, a good education (assuming it was not Communications that she would have majored in).  Work on her strength and skills with her coach (assuming she has one - and I do not mean the USC Women's Golf Coach).  It also would have given her the time to grow mentally and emotionally too ... which is important.   Now, unless she finds the motivation to focus on her game, to develop and grow, she risks becoming Anna Kournikova of golf ... unless that is what she is satisfied with. 

1.91 putts per GIR...that's pretty close to mine. Does this mean I putt as good as a pro, or a pro putts as bad as me 🤔

• Like 1

Whoa, we're into minutae here now LOL... my whole point on Muni was, she's got a lot of chances relative to how she has performed so far LOL... (Eg Qschool #1, but honestly hasnt played like one - so I'm with @18majors, gotta find some other way other than qschools to determine this...)   

Addendum: muni had even more chances to play last year, but certainly didn't (want?) capitalize -- can't fault her with it being covid year but still... 

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

I'm with @Argonne69 on this one, juice up the purses on the Symetra and eliminate Q-school for access to the LPGA all together.  Q-School is for the Symetra only.  A certain number of Symetra players get their card on their play on the Symetra but also like the Korn-Ferry have special exemption for exceptional play during the Symetra tour season that elevates you to the LPGA, kinda like my boy Taylor Pendergiph just did on the Korn-Ferry.  Also keep an eye on him on the PGA, if he can cut down on errors, he's a scoring machine.

15 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Whoa, we're into minutae here now LOL... my whole point on Muni was, she's got a lot of chances relative to how she has performed so far LOL... (Eg Qschool #1, but honestly hasnt played like one - so I'm with @18majors, gotta find some other way other than qschools to determine this...)   

Addendum: muni had even more chances to play last year, but certainly didn't (want?) capitalize -- can't fault her with it being covid year but still... 

My last post was more about Muni turning pro too early ... in many ways, she is a beneficiary of Covid in that it has given her an extra year to work on her game ... a reset of sorts and part of the reason why players need to carefully consider the timing of their turning pro.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stooch said:

I'm with @Argonne69 on this one, juice up the purses on the Symetra and eliminate Q-school for access to the LPGA all together.  Q-School is for the Symetra only.  A certain number of Symetra players get their card on their play on the Symetra but also like the Korn-Ferry have special exemption for exceptional play during the Symetra tour season that elevates you to the LPGA, kinda like my boy Taylor Pendergiph just did on the Korn-Ferry.  Also keep an eye on him on the PGA, if he can cut down on errors, he's a scoring machine.

How do boost the purse on the Symetra if you can't boost it on the LPGA.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stooch said:

@Stooch  ... I tend to agree with you guys about that, but, one cannot and should not downplay the benefit of the JLPGA, LET, KLPGA etc. in the development of LPGA calibre players.  The Symetra Tour simply doesn't stack up comparatively speaking ... and financially, you need a big sponsor or own source of wealth to participate on the Symetra ... whereas one can cover their expenses and more on the KLPGA & JLPGA.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golf Dino said:

@Stooch  ... I tend to agree with you guys about that, but, one cannot and should not downplay the benefit of the JLPGA, LET, KLPGA etc. in the development of LPGA calibre players.  The Symetra Tour simply doesn't stack up comparatively speaking ... and financially, you need a big sponsor or own source of wealth to participate on the Symetra ... whereas one can cover their expenses and more on the KLPGA & JLPGA.  

Simple, allocate tour cards to those tours also, if a player doesn't want it, it goes to the next player.

• Like 2

Just now, Golf Dino said:

Okay ... play Commissioner for a day and share with us your ideas?  

Well I don't feel like a 20 minute typing session to explain, honestly if you read my posts over the years, you'll know where I'm going.  But lets say I would radically change the viewing mediums of the LPGA and how and the amounts of coverage you'll be able to get, also go in with a radically different approach to TV contracts, I think I could bring in way more revenue, than the dinosaur thinking going now lol

3 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

I misunderstood your point then.  I was thinking that you meant that the only way to get onto the LPGA is to play the Symetra Tour.   

Sure in North America, but if you wanna make 3 -5 cards available for both JLPGA and KLPGA and a means of access to the tour that works for me, probably throw a couple cards to the LET as well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Well I don't feel like a 20 minute typing session to explain, honestly if you read my posts over the years, you'll know where I'm going.  But lets say I would radically change the viewing mediums of the LPGA and how and the amounts of coverage you'll be able to get, also go in with a radically different approach to TV contracts, I think I could bring in way more revenue, than the dinosaur thinking going now lol

Understandable.  👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

It's a chicken and egg situation though, no? If the Symetra purses were larger, you might have more mid level players giving it a go. 

A solid player earning a living on one of the Asian tours is not going to come to the US to play on the Symetra Tour given the current purses. That's why you can't ditch the Q Series. Lucky 6 would not have gone the Symetra route. 

Another option would be to grant LPGA membership based on World ranking. Kind of silly to have a top 30 player in the world playing in the Q Series. 

• Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

29 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

It's a chicken and egg situation though, no? If the Symetra purses were larger, you might have more mid level players giving it a go. 

A solid player earning a living on one of the Asian tours is not going to come to the US to play on the Symetra Tour given the current purses. That's why you can't ditch the Q Series. Lucky 6 would not have gone the Symetra route. 

Another option would be to grant LPGA membership based on World ranking. Kind of silly to have a top 30 player in the world playing in the Q Series. 

Case in point: Yuka Saso... She can play Symetra anytime she wants, but hasnt LOL...  top Yen winner in 2020 in JLPGA, multiple titles there, etc etc... and yes, not quite top 30 yet (now#41) but will need to go qschool to get her LPGA card for 2022

Edited by HMHS
just updated her WGR - now at #41
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I like this idea, correct me if I'm wrong but it's tougher in the other leagues to gain world ranking points? Emily K. Pederson won 4 time on the LET last year and is 68th on the Rolex, then you have Jennifer Kupcho who has never won and is ranked 15th. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

I like this idea, correct me if I'm wrong but it's tougher in the other leagues to gain world ranking points? Emily K. Pederson won 4 time on the LET last year and is 68th on the Rolex, then you have Jennifer Kupcho who has never won and is ranked 15th. 

Based largely on the strength of the field.  Beat better players more often and the world ranking points increase.

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Based largely on the strength of the field.  Beat better players more often and the world ranking points increase.

Yup. So a player in the top 30 in the world playing on the other tours has really gotta be playing lights out. Ai Suzuki a few years ago comes to mind. 

That said, the Q Series does provide higher ranked players access to the later stages. If I recall correctly, Lucky 6 went straight to Q Series, and skipped the qualifying stages, before winning it in 2018. A top ranked player should be able to earn a card over 8 rounds.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Yup. So a player in the top 30 in the world playing on the other tours has really gotta be playing lights out. Ai Suzuki a few years ago comes to mind. 

Ha Na Jang is the closest thing right now, at 20 in the world, best among KLPGA full timers.  That would be a great option for her, I'd love Ha Na to have easy access to get back on the LPGA should she desire.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Ha Na Jang is the closest thing right now, at 20 in the world, best among KLPGA full timers.  That would be a great option for her, I'd love Ha Na to have easy access to get back on the LPGA should she desire.

those dance moves LOL.... that escalator "fiasco" in SG Changi Airport with Ingee really ruined it for her (whether directly or not, we'll never truly know)... eg not her directly but her dad...

Edited by HMHS
Ingee got injured indirectly by Ha Na's father's luggage....
  • Like 1

Just now, Supermilo said:

those dance moves LOL.... that escalator "fiasco" in SG Changi Airport with Ingee really ruined it for her (whether directly or not, we'll never truly know)...

My only gripe with Ha Na and granted it's only a small one, but maybe slow down on the fist pumps for a birdie during round 1 😂

• Haha 2

I count 13 players ranked 20 to 50 in the world playing on the Asian tours. I assume several would not take membership if offered, but  the majority would likely do so.

• Like 3