2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

13 hours ago, 18majors said:

Beth Ann did her job; now we've a better idea why Mollie Marcoux Samaan was chosen:

Mollie Marcoux Samaan jumps at 'once-in-a-lifetime opportunity' as LPGA's newest commissioner

"Search committee members didn’t have their sights set on finding a woman, Sharp explained. They simply wanted the best person for the job. In Marcoux Samaan, they feel they have found a gritty, hard worker who has a great presence when entering a room. Sharp also liked that Marcoux Samaan found the disparity between No. 125 on the money list on the men’s and women’s tour’s ($877,761 vs $64,410 in 2019) ridiculous and a top priority. The LPGA had 14 millionaires in 2019; the men had 112 players who crossed the $1 million mark."

Just imagine how ridiculous that disparity would be if Whan hadn't been so successful rebuilding the schedule and bringing in (plus keeping) sponsors.  I'll be very interested to see how Marcoux Samaan tries to close the gap.

Women's golf is ready for a Tiger moment.  Taking nothing away from Annika, Lorena or Michelle Wie, each moved the needle but not enough.  The closest thing the LPGA has is Se Ri's win in 1998 -- but a lot of the benefits of that win are being harvested elsewhere.  Still, think about how many events are now sponsored by Korean companies, it was and remains a huge deal for the LPGA.

• Like 2
  • Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@18majors surprisingly, I don’t yet have a favourite LPGA player! (...with a caveat w.r.t. “Genevieve Ling”... who??? see Note below!) but similar to @Stooch, I do like to have aggressive players o

I'm sure one of the reasons she's chosen was because:   "In 2019, Princeton opened the H.G. Levine Broadcast Center, which gives the athletic department the ability to produce live events fo

Man, there really must be some underlying reason why you cannot give Mike Whan credit for the job he has done, lol. 

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, postfold said:

Women's golf is ready for a Tiger moment.  Taking nothing away from Annika, Lorena or Michelle Wie, each moved the needle but not enough.

Totally agreed!  

LPGA missed an gold opportunity with Lydia Ko, who put Tiger Woods to shame as a teen.  But, LPGA made ripples with her, not waves.  I put the responsibility squarely on Mike Whan.

LPGA's "Tiger Moment" probably would come from an American/Canadian who Plays like a young Yani Tseng, who won eleven tournaments including five majors by 22.

Brooke Henderson, who'll be 24 this year and Nelly Korda, 23; can still do it.  But they need to clean up 2021 and 2022 between the two of them.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Hope your optimism will be rightfully rewarded.

It'll be a giant shot to the arm for both the golf community and Canada!

Our Public Health Officer and the government here have committed to it.  Our "lockdown" ended on Monday.   We now have some places fully vaccinated and new cases next to zero.    They have committed to this with the caveat being that we may have to freeze some stages of re-opening if the newer variants get out of control or if the general population doesn't reach a minimum level of immunization.  

We are a completely different jurisdiction than the one Toronto is in and I know people in the US and in particular, Eastern Time zone, tend to only see Toronto news and happenings -- which is a completely different kettle of fish.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Our Public Health Officer and the government here have committed to it.  Our "lockdown" ended on Monday.   We now have some places fully vaccinated and new cases next to zero.    They have committed to this with the caveat being that we may have to freeze some stages of re-opening if the newer variants get out of control or if the general population doesn't reach a minimum level of immunization.  

We are a completely different jurisdiction than the one Toronto is in and I know people in the US and in particular, Eastern Time zone, tend to only see Toronto news and happenings -- which is a completely different kettle of fish.

didn't you know? we're supposedly the center of the universe, i mean, canada?  (NOT! 😂)

thank goodness CP is slated in Ottawa, Ontario NEXT Year, not this... (you bet ill be driving there and making day trips! - or stay in a hotel, depending if my fav players make the cuts or not, let alone show up for the event)

Edited by Supermilo
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Meanwhile, in Ontario, golf wasn't allowed until last Saturday... Go figure... 

Our friends near Hamilton started calling as the announcement was being made of courses opening up.  Two hours later they had a tee time!  They reported many golf course websites crashing and phone lines jammed.  Lot of golfers ready to golf!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stooch said:

While I think the accolade is warranted for her accomplishment in the country, perhaps maybe wait till she retires.  It's gonna be weird and awkward having Brooke Henderson win the Brooke Henderson award for the next decade.😂

https://golfnewsnow.ca/news-now/pga-of-canada-names-trophies-after-henderson-kane/

Actually never mind I was told, by Flagstick golf it only applies to female club pro's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
42 minutes ago, Stooch said:

And there it is, I live in Country run by clowns lol

You post this ... I disagree with your comment and this is what I get sent:  

A message saying that I will not be able to post because the topic was politics and was against the Terms of Service and that I had click on their acknowledgement that I did wrong 

🐂

💩💩💩💩💩💩

1t2golf

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Some Dow teams are being announced.

Didn't expect In Gee and Brooke Henderson. 

Although a longtime ago, Brooke did run on the green and shower her with Champagne when she won at Evian.  Honestly, the only player I remember seeing Brooke come on the green and celebrate with.  Brooke did at the CP with Jin Young but she was playing the final group with her.

Plus Brooke's thinking in alternate shot days, if she hits greens like she does and Ingee is putting, good things are probably gonna happen, 😂

• Like 1

I just noticed that So Yeon has moved into the 5th spot on the scoring average ranking. A little odd given that she hasn't really been in the mix this year. She has 4 top 10s, but is usually playing catchup on Sunday after a mediocre round or two.

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Median driving distance has crept up to 257 yds this season from last year. We've seen plenty of rollout on the majority of the courses. With most of the U.S. in a drought, I don't expect that we'll see it drop. It was also 257 at the conclusion of the 2019 season.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

8 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I just noticed that So Yeon has moved into the 5th spot on the scoring average ranking. A little odd given that she hasn't really been in the mix this year. She has 4 top 10s, but is usually playing catchup on Sunday after a mediocre round or two.

Yeah, I've been tracking her the last few weeks.  I think her game is just in a frustrating point right now, equal amounts of good and bad over 4 rounds, that has her fighting to finish in that top tier of players at the end of the week.  All she can do is be patient and just wait for it to all click, she's not that far off IMO.  Like I always mention, if your scoring average is under 70.00, you're probably gonna get a win before the season ends.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Yeah, I've been tracking her the last few weeks.  I think her game is just in a frustrating point right now, equal amounts of good and bad over 4 rounds, that has her fighting to finish in that top tier of players at the end of the week.  All she can do is be patient and just wait for it to all click, she's not that far off IMO.  Like I always mention, if your scoring average is under 70.00, you're probably gonna get a win before the season ends.

In Gee is also up there at 70.03, one spot ahead of Jin Young. Another player that hasn't been visible on Sundays, but is playing solid golf. 

• Like 3

Sometimes, I wonder whether LPGA's priority policy delivers its intended results.

Andrea Lee, who entered LPGA through 2019 Q-School and had a wonderful rookie year in 2020.  She finished 2020 #48 on Official Money, but unfortunately those results didn't count.  Andrea hasn't played well in 2021 and is currently #129 on CME list.

Min Lee, who's a 2015 LPGA rookie.  She didn't play well and dropped to play Symetra Tour in 2019.  Somehow, she was eligible to play 2021 Pure Silk and finished T31 which allowed her to re-enter LPGA through 2021 first reshuffle.  Last week, she caught the lightning in a bottle and finished second and she's now #42 on CME list.

I know LPGA's intent is to have a meritocratic system.  But since golf is a fickle game, the current system leaves many things to happenstances.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Stooch said:

SYR is ~78.5 points behind HJK.  Don't think either of them are playing this week, not sure if either face an different amount of points rolling off (HJK's HSBC win should stay in the initial "high" period, can't imagine anything at the end is doing to make much of a difference).  RYU needs a win at KPMG to avenge Kemper Lakes and to book a trip to Tokyo!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Some Dow teams are being announced.

Didn't expect In Gee and Brooke Henderson. 

Link please.

WTH???

Tina must be trying to CON JYK to play with Lydia...wins are all that matters....Dumbo obviously didn't impress Tina last year.

Brooke STABBING Alena, her mentor in the back???

9 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

and I can't believe this one but Maria Fassi and Stacy Lewis. I'll assume it's a Razorback thing. 

WTH???? 

Is Fassi good at Pig Sooie?

I would have thought alumni Lopez & Fassi would want to rep Mexico too?

Hmmm....some DRAMA between Gerina and Stacy?

3 hours ago, KBong said:

Link please.

WTH???

Tina must be trying to CON JYK to play with Lydia...wins are all that matters....Dumbo obviously didn't impress Tina last year.

Brooke STABBING Alena, her mentor in the back???

Movin on up as they say.  Why get a 2x major champ when you can get a more recent 2x major champ!!!

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Stooch said:

Like I always mention, if your scoring average is under 70.00, you're probably gonna get a win before the season ends.

If you could shoot 70 every round with no volatility, would the player win?  Or do you need a week or two where you average 67 +/-?  I guess you would probably win the U.S. Open more than 50% of the time at 70 x 4 = 280?  Not sure about the other tournaments.  Hahaha.