2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

3 hours ago, agolf1 said:

If you could shoot 70 every round with no volatility, would the player win?  Or do you need a week or two where you average 67 +/-?  I guess you would probably win the U.S. Open more than 50% of the time at 70 x 4 = 280?  Not sure about the other tournaments.  Hahaha.

Rarely does 8 under win the tournament. The average winning score is at least 14 under for the season.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

5 hours ago, agolf1 said:

If you could shoot 70 every round with no volatility, would the player win?  Or do you need a week or two where you average 67 +/-?  I guess you would probably win the U.S. Open more than 50% of the time at 70 x 4 = 280?  Not sure about the other tournaments.  Hahaha.

I agree with @Argonne69 shooting 70 won't get it done most weeks, it would probably get you between 10th and 20th.  Now if you take a 2 week stretch where you average 70, and one week you average 68 and the next you average 72, then one of those 2 weeks you have a legit chance  at winning.

Edited by Stooch

Lexi and Nasa, Danielle and Lydia?  I guess we don't know them well enough.

Teams start committing to Dow GLBI - which is coming to Midland in four weeks

"Chandler noted the team nickname chosen by Suwannapura and Clanton in 2019 was "Team All In," which he also noted has been a theme for Dow, the title sponsor of the tournament, for several years with its inclusion efforts."

"Other teams who have confirmed their entry into the event are sisters Jessica Korda and Nelly Korda, In Gee Chun and Brooke Henderson, Lexi Thompson and Nasa Hataoka, Danielle Kang and Lydia Ko, In Bee Park and So Yeon Ryu, Maria Fassi and Stacy Lewis, and Pernilla Lindberg and Sarah Jane Smith."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Lexi and Nasa, Danielle and Lydia?  I guess we don't know them well enough.

Teams start committing to Dow GLBI - which is coming to Midland in four weeks

"Chandler noted the team nickname chosen by Suwannapura and Clanton in 2019 was "Team All In," which he also noted has been a theme for Dow, the title sponsor of the tournament, for several years with its inclusion efforts."

"Other teams who have confirmed their entry into the event are sisters Jessica Korda and Nelly Korda, In Gee Chun and Brooke Henderson, Lexi Thompson and Nasa Hataoka, Danielle Kang and Lydia Ko, In Bee Park and So Yeon Ryu, Maria Fassi and Stacy Lewis, and Pernilla Lindberg and Sarah Jane Smith."

Danielle and Lydia were very good friends when Lydia was at her best and Danielle was just some random player on tour.  Seemed like they were hanging out less as the performance flipped but I guess all is still good.  Lydia's other friends seemed to be In Gee and Minjee.

• Like 4

In the last full season, 2019, the average winning score was 17.75 under par. 

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

WTH....Lexi & Nasa...huh?

It's lonely at the top.....I think many top or 'popular' pros don't have many friends on tour.

In 2015, I spoke with Charley's dad, Hull doesn't have many friends on tour....if she did want to have dinner...she might had called Lexi.

I think Lexi also doesn't have many friends on tour....maybe Jaye Marie??....in the past..... Jennifer Johnson (who went MIA....injury? ....she was really shy and changed loops so many times).

Ugh....Greg Johnson will be in the group....he used to loop for Lexi.

The lower ranked pros will tend to hang out, dinner, laundry, etc.

2 hours ago, agolf1 said:

Danielle and Lydia were very good friends when Lydia was at her best and Danielle was just some random player on tour.  Seemed like they were hanging out less as the performance flipped but I guess all is still good.  Lydia's other friends seemed to be In Gee and Minjee.

Yup....they used to hang out...but when Kang started to win...she became too Kool for Skool.

I think Kang also did the same to Salas...who she used to hang with....in 2012...I was chatting with Grace (Kang's mom)...she asked if I had met Lizette...I said no...so she brought me over to say hi).

I'm not on their social media feeds...but I'm not so sure Dumbo and Old Ko are BFF's....never really see pics of them hanging out.

I think Tina has Lydia too busy at night....discussing $$$ opportunities.🤣

From what I saw in 2015....I think Minjee and Sura are closer than Minjee and Lydia.

Sura seems shy like Minjee. I had a brief chat with Sura.

There's a really good Korean restaurant called Sura here...a great lunch special with many dishes.

The Ko's were considering moving to Canada....I believe Sura went to HS in Toronto.

23 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

WTH...you spent the time to calculate this?....LMAO.

Have you quit golfing?...lol.

Have the price of green fees gone through the roof there?....tons of price gouging here....many rds 4.5 to 5.15 hrs long....near impossible to book tee times...especially 4somes.

There were 24 golfers waiting to tee off at sunset....low prices at 7pm....at a local muni.

5 minutes ago, KBong said:

Have the price of green fees gone through the roof there?....tons of price gouging here....many rds 4.5 to 5.15 hrs long....near impossible to book tee times...especially 4somes.

There were 24 golfers waiting to tee off at sunset....low prices at 7pm....at a local muni.

Where was this?  Fraserview?  

39 minutes ago, KBong said:

Lol. No, I teed off at 7:30 am this morning, finished the round in 3 1/2 hours, and was home by 12:30 pm. It was my 91st round of the year. It only took me 10 minutes to crunch the numbers. Photos here: ThunderHawk GC

Prices are definitely up, but there a handful of courses that I play on a regular basis that haven't gotten crazy. I can walk them for less than $30. Most of the munis I play are in the $50 range. I play as a single, and while it's hard to get a decent weekday tee time at some courses, I can always find an opening at one of the two dozen courses I have in my usual rotation. 

I've been really lucky with pace of play this Spring. I played dozens of rounds in less than three hours, often playing solo or with another single. I've only had one really long round. Most of the early players are rabbits. I was in a foursome a month ago that was the first group out on the course, and we walked in 3 hours flat.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. No, I teed off at 7:30 am this morning, finished the round in 3 1/2 hours, and was home by 12:30 pm. It was my 91st round of the year. It only took me 10 minutes to crunch the numbers. Photos here: ThunderHawk GC

Prices are definitely up, but there a handful of courses that I play on a regular basis that haven't gotten crazy. I can walk them for less than $30. Most of the munis I play are in the $50 range. I play as a single, and while it's hard to get a decent weekday tee time at some courses, I can always find an opening at one of the two dozen courses I have in my usual rotation. 

I've been really lucky with pace of play this Spring. I played dozens of rounds in less than three hours, often playing solo or with another single. I've only had one really long round. Most of the early players are rabbits. I was in a foursome a month ago that was the first group out on the course, and we walked in 3 hours flat.

I forgot you're a dew sweeper....I'm a cheap a**.....pre-Covid....twilight & coupons.... and now with Covid....I got an annual twilight pass....so I'm playing with all the lousy & slow cheapo golfers....it's painfully slow.

But it would still be unusual to dew sweep here as a single...golf is so popular here...even pre-Covid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KBong said:

Yup....they used to hang out...but when Kang started to win...she became too Kool for Skool.

I think Kang also did the same to Salas...who she used to hang with....in 2012...I was chatting with Grace (Kang's mom)...she asked if I had met Lizette...I said no...so she brought me over to say hi).

I'm not on their social media feeds...but I'm not so sure Dumbo and Old Ko are BFF's....never really see pics of them hanging out.

From what I saw in 2015....I think Minjee and Sura are closer than Minjee and Lydia.

There's a really good Korean restaurant called Sura here...a great lunch special with many dishes.

The Ko's were considering moving to Canada....I believe Sura went to HS in Toronto.

I think Danielle is like Lydia in that she has a lot of friends on tour, SYR, Lizette, Wie-West, Lydia. Actually, Lydia seems to have at least 4 times as many friends as I've listed for Danielle. 

Lexi and Nasa?! What a surprise. I was thinking she'd pair with Altomare if not Christy Kerr again. Good for both of them though. Maybe the sponsor suggested it and they agreed. After So Yeon and Inbee win, maybe we'll get a Lexi/Inbee dream pairing. 

38 minutes ago, 18majors said:

The US Open and me, by Yuka Saso!

Yuka & Rory shilling for a photo op.🤣

If Beth Ann really cared about covering women's golf...instead of writing about fluff...she'd get behind this incident....see below video starting at 10:00.

This also happened at Torrey...the 2020 Farmers.

Jin Young Ko....WORLD WOMEN'S RR#1....seems to have purchased her own tickets...no freebies...I don't understand Korean...maybe the tickets were given to her.

Here's JYK and her friends not really bothering anyone and trying to take some selfies and getting threatened to get kicked out by a cop...WTH....and the cop returns again.

If Rory cared about women's golf...he would have noticed JYK and pulled JYK and her pals inside the ropes and given the cop a hard time about harassing women's RR#1.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, AWinfortheAges said:

1) I think Danielle is like Lydia in that she has a lot of friends on tour, SYR, Lizette, Wie-West, Lydia. Actually, Lydia seems to have at least 4 times as many friends as I've listed for Danielle. 

2) Lexi and Nasa?! What a surprise. I was thinking she'd pair with Altomare if not Christy Kerr again. Good for both of them though. Maybe the sponsor suggested it and they agreed. After So Yeon and Inbee win, maybe we'll get a Lexi/Inbee dream pairing. 

1) Lydia is nice to all on tour.....Tina is prepping up for the future if  there should be a MOST POPULAR award as voted by her peers...kinda like the $1M that's up for grabs for AON Risk/Reward.🤣

If I recall...didn't Lydia put a box of chocolates besides everyone's locker when she 1st came out on tour.

I've chatted with Tina a few times....she's quite funny....dad is kinda quiet....not sure if his command of English is great.

2) LOL...you really think Dow would have the time or make the effort to suggest pairings to INDEPENDENT contractors?

5 hours ago, KBong said:

It can't be easy when the relative standing of the player/friend changes so much.  Either one of them could have said something that didn't sit so well with the other at the time.  But at least it is OK now.  I did think their exchange at the tournament last year (that Lydia blew) was a bit icy but maybe there wasn't much to say at the moment (given the shocking end).

I think In Gee and Lydia used to hang out more.  One off season they had quite a few pics.  Lydia was also quite nice when In Gee won in Korea (Minjee was like I'm outta here).  I also suspect that they went on their fitness/weight loss regime together?

Not sure on Minjee and the Kos (not that deep in the weeds).  But they seem to have a lot of old photos from junior days.  When Minjee plays in SG there are a lot of people from Perth here.  She has been quite talkative to them even when waiting on a tee box in the middle of a round (must know some of them personally).  Stuff like when going back to Perth, pro at a certain course, what brother is doing, etc.  But I agree the casual fan doesn't get much of a reaction from her and she is probably more reserved as you've noted.

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I was too lazy to look up each tournament but after a few I wasn't sure there's even a week outside of USWO that 280 will sniff the winners circle.  Maybe if you get really bad weather (I think TX in Dec was bad and one year even in May/June there were crazy winds?) but it can't happen much.

20 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

Not sure on Minjee and the Kos (not that deep in the weeds).  But they seem to have a lot of old photos from junior days.  When Minjee plays in SG there are a lot of people from Perth here.  She has been quite talkative to them even when waiting on a tee box in the middle of a round (must know some of them personally).  Stuff like when going back to Perth, pro at a certain course, what brother is doing, etc.  But I agree the casual fan doesn't get much of a reaction from her and she is probably more reserved as you've noted.

Of course Minjee is nice to the Aussies from Perth....you too would be kind to them too if you knew fanboys/fangirls spent $1000's to travel to watch you play.

I assume it must be so EXPENSIVE to play golf in Singapore...what's the avg green fee in $US

Does it always rain in the afternoon there?

I think Minjee played a lot more golf against Su Oh vs, Lydia....but I don't think they are BFF's.

I've never met Su but I think she's likely very approachable.

As I've said...lots of Su Oh fanboys here.

23 minutes ago, KBong said:

I assume it must be so EXPENSIVE to play golf in Singapore...what's the avg green fee in $US

Does it always rain in the afternoon there?

There's really only 1 public course, and the cost depends on residency.  I'd say roughly $60/$90 weekday/weekend for locals and $100/$170 for foreigners (USD).  The other courses are all private with guest fees ~$100/$150 to $200/$250 depending on which course.  It rains here probably half the days, although it doesn't last long.  However, most courses operate on morning and afternoon session with tee times off both 9s.  So if you get delayed by weather and cannot cross over/finish in time you are done for the day.

The number of courses here has been declining (land is scarce) and will continue to decline in the future.  Pre-COVID, I don't think this was a problem as people that are more price sensitive typically went to Malaysia (car ride across the border) or Indonesia (1 hour ferry to one of two islands) to play.  But since there is no travel and less other leisure activities now all of the courses are packed.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KBong said:

Danielle is still good friends with both, along with So Yeon. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 9:28 AM, AWinfortheAges said:

Some Dow teams are being announced.

Didn't expect In Gee and Brooke Henderson. 

@Stooch @AWinfortheAges  . . . I suspect that this pairing may have come at the suggestion of PING who sponsor both players.  So that would make sense.  (At least I think PING still sponsoors In Gee?) 

But, yes a good combination ... ballstriking and putting.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, agolf1 said:

There's really only 1 public course, and the cost depends on residency.  I'd say roughly $60/$90 weekday/weekend for locals and $100/$170 for foreigners (USD).  The other courses are all private with guest fees ~$100/$150 to $200/$250 depending on which course.  It rains here probably half the days, although it doesn't last long.  However, most courses operate on morning and afternoon session with tee times off both 9s.  So if you get delayed by weather and cannot cross over/finish in time you are done for the day.

The number of courses here has been declining (land is scarce) and will continue to decline in the future.  Pre-COVID, I don't think this was a problem as people that are more price sensitive typically went to Malaysia (car ride across the border) or Indonesia (1 hour ferry to one of two islands) to play.  But since there is no travel and less other leisure activities now all of the courses are packed.

Some nice views of Singapore 🇸🇬 downtown from “Marina Bay golf course” (the public course that @agolf1 mentioned)

https://www.mbgc.com.sg

B00A0320-C013-420E-A6E1-6560192D1226.jpeg

1983FA27-7F0A-4988-A9D1-AC81AA082783.webp

• Like 4

Just eight days before KPMG tees off in Atlanta, the amount of Social Media exposure of the tournament is miniscule compared to US Women's Open two weeks ago.

Not KPMG is doing a bad job; but the amount of attention both USGA and the Olympic Club committed to promote women's golf was just out of sight.

Thanks, that the results were worth the effort.

13 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Just eight days before KPMG tees off in Atlanta, the amount of Social Media exposure of the tournament is miniscule compared to US Women's Open two weeks ago.

Not KPMG is doing a bad job; but the amount of attention both USGA and the Olympic Club committed to promote women's golf was just out of sight.

I know it's a forlorn hope but I'd like to see a new KPMG commercial during the tournament.  How many hundreds of times have we seen the same one with Stacy Lewis, Olafia Kristinsdottir and Mariah Stackhouse (plus Phil)?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KBong said:

2) LOL...you really think Dow would have the time or make the effort to suggest pairings to INDEPENDENT contractors?

Ah... yes. Why not? I think they may court a player or two or make a suggestion to the LPGA and/or the player reps (Lydia is one of them, maybe Pernilla also). They need a couple of teams to announce to break the ice and get the ball rolling so other teams can begin forming. 

By all appearances Dow seems to be one of the most enthusiastic and supportive hosts on tour. 

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

During the US Women’s Open, this USGA(?) advert/commercial was played a lot (including in-App, during the USWO “Featured Groups” coverage). 

➡️does anybody recognise this face ie is she an active LPGA golfer?

(hopefully it’ll be obvious to folks and a “D’oh” reaction from me!

She kinda reminds me of Genie Bouchard the Canadian 🇨🇦 tennis player?)

49363870-080D-486B-9F9D-071D2F6D3442.jpeg

Edited by JungleJimbo

4 hours ago, postfold said:

I know it's a forlorn hope but I'd like to see a new KPMG commercial during the tournament.  How many hundreds of times have we seen the same one with Stacy Lewis, Olafia Kristinsdottir and Mariah Stackhouse (plus Phil)?

It tends to happen when a commercial is what, 3 years old lol. Which reminds me of the years old Gerina Pillar commercials for VOA.

KPMG could at least cut a new commercial and use an actual relevant LPGA golfer,Leona Maguire.