2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

4 hours ago, agolf1 said:

Consistency is what is important. For over a year, we’ve heard how Bryson DeChambeau has revolutionized the way golf is played. You would think he’s blowing away fields by double digits by the way some of the golf media talks about him. For some reason distance is really impressive to people regardless of whether the distance wins them events or whether it’s just a by product of equipment. He’s won 3 events in a span of 15 months since the transformation. That isn’t dominant. I mentioned that there has been no marked improvement in Bryson’s game. People jumped all over me and argued that my point wasn’t valid because of his world ranking. He was 5th 2 years ago. Furthermore, Bryson tires easily and his look isn’t aesthetic. How is it possible to have a double chin but also have put of 40 pounds of “pure muscle” and look 3 months pregnant?  The distance argument is garbage in most cases. For someone who has a complete game, it could do wonders but no one has shown distance alone is enough. 

We see this on the LPGA as well. There have been players going back decades who have averaged the longest driving distance a season but never even had a top 10. Players as recently as 3-4 years ago who came out on top on this stat are no longer on the LPGA.

Look at Mo Martin. Her drives are sometimes only 210 yet she’s a major on a course where I would argue placement and accuracy is more important than distance.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Atthaya Thitikul just came from behind to win the LET's Czech Ladies Open today. 🇹🇭

She can really give it to the gals in the minor leagues.

The LPGA is a different scenario.....I look forward to seeing this gal on the LPGA if she decides to qualify one year.

Sandra Gal must not have a lot of confidence to return to play on the LPGA.

I think she is recovering from both physical & mental health issues.

• Like 1

Nelly Korda has reached another milestone; she now has more than 250,000 followers on Instagram; that's up 50% from about 7-8 months ago.

She probably will reach 300,000 - 400,000 this year but won't catch Michelle Wie West (590,000) or Lexi Thompson (506,000).

By the way Wie West already had more than 400,000 and Lexi 300,000 three years ago, when Nelly had less than 50,000.

Not surprising but Nelly Korda wd from this week’s VOA classic. There are now 7 spots that are unfilled. Only Carlota Ciganda is on the list as a late entry. So what happens when spots go unfilled? Are those reallocated to the monday qualifier? Could we possibly see 9 monday qualifiers in the field this week? 

42 minutes ago, fredogolfer said:

There are now 7 spots that are unfilled.

This is something astonishing, why would any player who's struggling for 2022 LPGA card skipping this event?  Player like Su Oh, who's #84; or Muni He, who's #101.

Players accumulate CME points to keep their LPGA cards for 2022.  The Top-80 players are Category 1, which gives them highest priorities and guarantees iron clad playing privileges.

The winner of each tournament gets 500 CME points, independent of weak or strong field.  On paper, this is the easiest tournament to finish high and garner those essential points.

• Like 1

Minjee Lee and Lexi Thompson are skipping Marathon LPGA Classic next week to play LET's Aramco Team Series.

Aramco event is sponsored by Aramco of Saudi Arabia and has a purse of US$1,000,000; but I'm sure the purse isn't the attraction for both Minjee and Lexi.

It's the well known appearance fee which is common in European Tour.  In the case of Tiger Woods or Rory McIlroy, the appearance fee runs upwards of US$3.0 millions, more than the purse of the tournament.

In Lexi's case, the appearance fee should be similar to Marathon's winner's prize of $300,000; Minjee will probably receive less.

I've never liked these "Money Grabs", but to each their own!

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Nelly Korda has reached another milestone; she now has more than 250,000 followers on Instagram; that's up 50% from about 7-8 months ago.

She probably will reach 300,000 - 400,000 this year but won't catch Michelle Wie West (590,000) or Lexi Thompson (506,000).

By the way Wie West already had more than 400,000 and Lexi 300,000 three years ago, when Nelly had less than 50,000.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

This is something astonishing, why would any player who's struggling for 2022 LPGA card skipping this event?  Player like Su Oh, who's #84; or Muni He, who's #101.

Yes.....Su & Muni and others should play....but there comes a time when they all run out of gas and why bother to play another event while fatigued only to trunk slam and be out of pocket.

If Muni played VOA it would be 5 weeks in a row and for Su....5 events in 6 weeks.

Muni's time would be better served working with Ruby trying to shill some more endorsements.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Minjee Lee and Lexi Thompson are skipping Marathon LPGA Classic next week to play LET's Aramco Team Series.

Aramco event is sponsored by Aramco of Saudi Arabia and has a purse of US$1,000,000; but I'm sure the purse isn't the attraction for both Minjee and Lexi.

It's the well known appearance fee which is common in European Tour.  In the case of Tiger Woods or Rory McIlroy, the appearance fee runs upwards of US$3.0 millions, more than the purse of the tournament.

In Lexi's case, the appearance fee should be similar to Marathon's winner's prize of $300,000; Minjee will probably receive less.

LMAO...making a  or comment/reference of the appearance fees of Tiger and Rory with what the LPGA might attract in  the same post.

Unless you have actual resources...which I highly doubt....you over estimate what the LPGA pros can make in endorsements.

Others here have a much better memory than I....I can't remember....but you make some post about a LPGA pro that if she did/accomplished this or that...her endorsement potential would be $300-500M....I could be wrong about some of the details....but it was something like this.

I know it's only 1 source...but I spoke with Charley's Hull's dad for quite some time in 2015 (super nice guy) and he told me the LPGA sponsorships are not as lucrative as what many might think.

I highly doubt Lexi's appearance fee even comes close to $300000....I doubt it's even 6 figures....if I'm wrong...let me know.

Yes...Lexi is all about the $$$.

At the 2012 CWO....Bobby K of Blue Giraffe (her agent at the time) was going to chaperone Lexi from Vancouver to Notah Begay's charity event....whether she was getting an appearance fee or if Notah asked her agent or Lexi to donate her time for charity...I don't know.

I think agents talk their pros to attend events for appearance fees because there is skin on the line for them.

The agent likely gets a cut of the appearance fee because they did the leg work...but I believe in most cases...agents don't make a cut on the pro's tour earnings...only endorsements, appearance fees and anything to drive $$$ to their respective pros.

Food for thought

Can Nelly be for the LPGA what Serena has been for women’s tennis? I know that’s a crazy high bar… I mostly mean can she be compelling/dominant enough to make people tune in to LPGA events?

" The answer to your first question is no, because Serena is one of the most dominant athletes in history, across every sport. She had overwhelming physical advantages coupled with an iron will and insatiable need to win. Nelly is a much more free-spirited personality. As good as she hits it, there are a handful of other players whose ball striking is comparable, so it will be much tougher to separate herself from the competition as Serena did. All that said, the answer to your second question is a resounding yes. Nelly has an ephemeral but unmistakable star quality. There is an elegance to her game and how she carries herself that appeals to male and female fans. Nancy Lopez has often said that one key to popularity on the LPGA Tour is to look like a woman and play like a man; there is certainly something thrilling about watching Nelly overpower golf courses and she is obviously telegenic. Throw in the remarkable two-generation sports success of her famous family and there is zero doubt that Nelly can be the compelling crossover figure that elevates the entire tour. The only question is how Nelly will embrace that burden. There is a lot of Fred Couples in her swing and demeanor and he absolutely hated the attention/time-suck that came with being No. 1. He quickly retreated. But I think Nelly will do well in the role. After all, she’s been groomed for this her whole life. "

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 4:24 PM, KBong said:

Yes.....Su & Muni and others should play....but there comes a time when they all run out of gas and why bother to play another event while fatigued only to trunk slam and be out of pocket.

If Muni played VOA it would be 5 weeks in a row and for Su....5 events in 6 weeks.

Muni's time would be better served working with Ruby trying to shill some more endorsements.

Dont forget Alex Albon 😛 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

I saw that. So I assume that gets her in The Open (and the Scottish Open). Does it get her in Evian? 

I assume so. It's co-sanctioned by the LPGA and LET.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

7 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

I saw that. So I assume that gets her in The Open (and the Scottish Open). Does it get her in Evian? 

Attaya will get in the 4 co-sanction tournaments which are:

1. The Evian ($4,500,000), 07/22-07/25.

2. ISPS Handa ($1,500,000), 07/29-08/01

3. Scottish Open ($1,500,000), 08/12-08/15.

4. The Open ($4,500,000), 08/19-08/22.

She has already won $148,127 from the Honda tournament, if she can earn at least $200K more this season she may earn LPGA 2022 membership via catagory 10 (ala Sung Hyun Park).

If she stays top 5 in the order of merit (she's no.4 now) or moves up to no. 75 or better in the Rolex Ranking (she's no. 120 now), she will go to the final stage of the LPGA Q School.

• Like 4

On 6/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, 18majors said:

You can call it a Money Grab if you wish, but Aramco is hosting 4 of these events on the LET this year, all with a million US purse. It's actually a pretty good thing for the girls on the LET, that 1M purse is huge for the LET compared to the normal non Major Euro events.

London July 8-10
Spain August 5-7
New York October 14-16 (same week as the Buick in Shanghai)
Saudi Arabia November 10-12 (same week as Pelican in Florida)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Some odd couples for Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational Team Play:

Minjee Lee and Yuka Saso

A Lim Kim and Yealimi Noh

Patty Tavatanakit and Leona Maguire

Team entry

Yes....there are many unexpected new teams this year.....many new teams combos.....so far not many old teams paired up again.

I'm going to start a Dow thread....from another site....someone had a "who won't I want to get paired with" comment and another member replied with some funny pairings with nicknames.

• Haha 1

The sign of the time

Annika Sorenstam among first three women members of elite Pine Valley

"The club notified its members via email Friday morning, Golf Digest reported. Club president Jim Davis told members in May that it planned to begin accepting women members who were accomplished players. The club was one of a handful remaining in the U.S. that don’t accept women members."

It appears Jin Young Ko, Sei Young Kim, Hannah Green and Shanshan Feng will skip Dow Team Event.

Shanshan shot +6 to miss KPMG cut by 4 shots.  Without us knowing, that might be the last time we saw Shanshan played LPGA in the US.

There're report Shanshan might retire after Tokyo Olympics, it may have a lot of validity.

Still it feels strange that Shanshan would just go into her sunset so quiet; no fanfare, no anything.

Report: Shanshan Feng again considering retirement after Tokyo Olympics

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

It appears Jin Young Ko, Sei Young Kim, Hannah Green and Shanshan Feng will skip Dow Team Event.

Shanshan shot +6 to miss KPMG cut by 4 shots.  Without us knowing, that might be the last time we saw Shanshan played LPGA in the US.

There're report Shanshan might retire after Tokyo Olympics, it may have a lot of validity.

Still it feels strange that Shanshan would just go into her sunset so quiet; no fanfare, no anything.

Report: Shanshan Feng again considering retirement after Tokyo Olympics

They don't need the points or $ anyway LOL... why add to the "drama" is probably why they're thinking :P.  Come to think of it, no Rolex points but there's CME points divided by 2 right?