2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

Atthaya Thitikul is a #33 Rolex ranked player with a 2.83 point average.  She reached that thanks to high finishes on four consecutive joint LET/LPAGA events.

She finished T6 today at a LET only event.  She will earn 1.14 Rolex points, which will lower her current 2.83 point average.  Unless she wins every tournament, her Rolex ranking will drop until she officially joins LPGA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 18majors said:

Atthaya Thitikul is a #33 Rolex ranked player with a 2.83 point average.  She reached that thanks to high finishes on four consecutive joint LET/LPAGA events.

She finished T6 today at a LET only event.  She will earn 1.14 Rolex points, which will lower her current 2.83 point average.  Unless she wins every tournament, her Rolex ranking will drop until she officially joins LPGA.

Atthaya has played 19 tournaments but the Rolex minimum divisor is 35 tournaments. Does this mean that every point she earns will improve her raking because the divisor ramains the same?

For example, the 1.14 points this week will be added to the 99.06 points while thr divisor is still 35. The new average point will be 2.86

• Like 2

1 hour ago, airawan said:

For example, the 1.14 points this week will be added to the 99.06 points while thr divisor is still 35. The new average point will be 2.86

Good point, I forgot about it.

You're right, her average will go up in the near future because her divisor stays the same.  However, each week she'll lose points due to aging, but it will be small for now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Go Cara!

ALL-WOMEN BROADCAST TEAM TO CALL NBC SPORTS’ COVERAGE OF SHOPRITE LPGA CLASSIC ON GOLF CHANNEL OCTOBER 1-3

"Broadcast Team Features Cara Banks (Play-By-Play), Judy Rankin and Paige Mackenzie (Analysts), and Karen Stupples and Kay Cockerill (On-Course Reporters)"

They couldn't call up Aimee Cho (golf with aimee) to be a part of this? The LPGA should add her to their major coverage at minimum and a few other tv events. Pair her with Sandra Gal depending on her availability. Aimee has good rapport with many of the players (Lydia Ko and Minjee Lee to name a few). She doesn't need to be a "Korean reporter" but she might be able to provide some insights and get more information from some Korean players than others may be able to. Sort of the way it seems the LET (or Asian swing) broadcast team gets better interviews from Minjee. She also has a teaching background that could provide additional insight during a broadcast. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

They couldn't call up Aimee Cho (golf with aimee) to be a part of this? The LPGA should add her to their major coverage at minimum and a few other tv events. Pair her with Sandra Gal depending on her availability. Aimee has good rapport with many of the players (Lydia Ko and Minjee Lee to name a few). She doesn't need to be a "Korean reporter" but she might be able to provide some insights and get more information from some Korean players than others may be able to. Sort of the way it seems the LET (or Asian swing) broadcast team gets better interviews from Minjee. She also has a teaching background that could provide additional insight during a broadcast. 

Aimee...an interesting choice and not one that most would think of.

I've watched a few of Aimee's Youtube vids.

I will say her vids are pretty good....and I'm no TV/media expert....but I'm thinking there a huge difference in talent producing some YT vids vs. being competent and well versed in front of a camera.....doing lots of prep work...speaking while someone is talking in your earbud and having a great gift for ad lib.

I guess we won't know unless Aimee is provided a TV opportunity.

I know others can provide more info....I believe Sandra is on a medical leave....an injury???....but I also think she's suffering from depression too???

I've said it before but I've always thought Grace Park would be an outstanding addition to the GC LPGA team.

But Grace has settled down in S. Korea....does some TV golf work there and doubt she's want to change her lifestyle for a GC role.

OK....I'll admit I'm a Grace Park fanboy....she has a great style, mannerism and smile.

I like the guy doing the interview...I forgot his name (Tom???) and think he might be retired???

On 8/30/2021 at 11:57 PM, KBong said:

Aimee...an interesting choice and not one that most would think of.

I've watched a few of Aimee's Youtube vids.

I will say her vids are pretty good....and I'm no TV/media expert....but I'm thinking there a huge difference in talent producing some YT vids vs. being competent and well versed in front of a camera.....doing lots of prep work...speaking while someone is talking in your earbud and having a great gift for ad lib.

I guess we won't know unless Aimee is provided a TV opportunity.

@AWinfortheAges

She used to do a golf show on NBC LA, she also was part of CBS LA's Master's Coverage this year as well.   Aimee has also worked with Korean Golf broadcasts too . . . both in the United States and in Korea. And the PGA retained her to do work with the Korean players as part of their coverage in Korea.   Best part about Aimee is her fluency in both languages -- something that the LPGA has truly never embraced.  Here is a little more on Aimee - The Hardest Working Golf Instructor on Social Media

http://bit.ly/AimeeCho

http://bit.ly/AimeePodcast

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Regarding the UL International Crown tournament: Is it now defunct? I know it was supposed to be played in England in 2020 but my current search didn't turn up any potential 2022 makeup dates. I actually like this tournament better than Solheim for obvious reasons. 

I sure hope not. I also prefer it to the SC. Hopefully we'll see it next year.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Leona Maguire is the biggest beneficiary of the Solheim Cup hype on Social Media; she doubled her Instagram followers to 21,000.  Still, it pales in comparison to Aditi Ashok's gain from 2021 Tokyo Olympics.  

Women's golf needs both the Olympics and Solheim Cup to reach beyond their hard core fan base.  The Olympics shined this time with a popular American Gold Medalist; while the loss of Team USA dimmed the impact of Solheim Cup.

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

Leona Maguire is the biggest beneficiary of the Solheim Cup hype on Social Media; she doubled her Instagram followers to 21,000.  Still, it pales in comparison to Aditi Ashok's gain from 2021 Tokyo Olympics.  

Women's golf needs both the Olympics and Solheim Cup to reach beyond their hard core fan base.  The Olympics shined this time with a popular American Gold Medalist; while the loss of Team USA dimmed the impact of Solheim Cup.

Solheim was an opportunity lost for Nelly to increase her popularity. 

We'll see what the producers do with Yealimi. IMO I doubt things will change this season without a win. Anna is bumped back up to top tier. And despite the singles loss, Kupcho benefits from Solheim and helps Golf Channel to continue to milk her Augusta National win. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AWinfortheAges said:

We'll see what the producers do with Yealimi.

Beth Hutter, Golf Channel's lead producer, is a dinosaur.  She'll still show Lexi Thompson, Michelle Wie, Cristie Kerr or Paula Creamer ahead of Nelly Korda.  But, featured groups are presented by LPGA, not Golf Channel.

Below is a list of Team USA members in order of their Instagram followers:

1.    Lexi Thompson                         519,000   
  2.    Nelly Korda                               373,000
  3.    Jessica Korda                           243,000
  4.    Danielle Kang                            196,000 
  5.    Yealimi Noh                                48,100
  6.    Jennifer Kupcho                         21,800
  7.    Lizette Salas                               21,000
  8.    Megan Khang                              9,800
  9.    Austin Ernst                                 8,900
  10.    Brittany Altomare                        8,800
  11.   Ally Ewing                                     7,100
  12.   Mina Harigae                                4,400 

It's a slim picking after the Big 4.  I've no doubt Yealimi will rise to become a peripheral member of the featured groups.

5 hours ago, 18majors said:

Beth Hutter, Golf Channel's lead producer, is a dinosaur.  She'll still show Lexi Thompson, Michelle Wie, Cristie Kerr or Paula Creamer ahead of Nelly Korda.  But, featured groups are presented by LPGA, not Golf Channel.

Below is a list of Team USA members in order of their Instagram followers:

1.    Lexi Thompson                         519,000   
  2.    Nelly Korda                               373,000
  3.    Jessica Korda                           243,000
  4.    Danielle Kang                            196,000 
  5.    Yealimi Noh                                48,100
  6.    Jennifer Kupcho                         21,800
  7.    Lizette Salas                               21,000
  8.    Megan Khang                              9,800
  9.    Austin Ernst                                 8,900
  10.    Brittany Altomare                        8,800
  11.   Ally Ewing                                     7,100
  12.   Mina Harigae                                4,400 

It's a slim picking after the Big 4.  I've no doubt Yealimi will rise to become a peripheral member of the featured groups.

If this list is redone based on feature groups, Ally, Lizette, Kupcho and Austin have been and are probably still ahead of Yealimi. Actually maybe not Lizette, she still has to earn her coverage and may still be more focused on the majors.

How much of a bump does Parjaree receive with her win? Minjee can't be ignored for the immediate future, but does she plan on having an extended period of time off? Matilda is probably in that top tier. What happens to Popov? 

17 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

If this list is redone based on feature groups, Ally, Lizette, Kupcho and Austin have been and are probably still ahead of Yealimi. Actually maybe not Lizette, she still has to earn her coverage and may still be more focused on the majors.

How much of a bump does Parjaree receive with her win? Minjee can't be ignored for the immediate future, but does she plan on having an extended period of time off? Matilda is probably in that top tier. What happens to Popov? 

A rising tide lifts all boats.   At least that's what I hope for.

Maybe the Powers That Be want the "cool kids" to win and be that rising tide.   Me?  I want Lizette and Popov to do well;  it warms my heart to see them succeed.

• Like 1

Looks like Brooke Henderson will have additional competition for Canadian Sportswoman of the year for 2021 and in the future since essentially 2 Canadians played in the US Open final in women’s tennis. Didn’t like Fernandez acting like a Brat and her family behaving like break points are for family survival. 

ughhh, never mind Leylah said some mature things during the ceremony. I hope these 2 keep developing and surround themselves with good people. We’ve seen what not having a strong support system can do to the top players in tennis and on the LPGA.

Edited by fredogolfer

13 hours ago, onekday said:

Solheim Cup started over 30 years ago before womens golf was a world sport.  They need to bring their format into the 21st century by expanding to include golfers from around the world.

Mike

That was basically the idea behind the International Crown. It wasn't a perfect format given that several top players in the world couldn't compete because their countries couldn't muster four top ranked players, but it was better than nothing.

Hopefully the IC will find a new sponsor, and new life in the near future. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

19 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

Looks like Brooke Henderson will have additional competition for Canadian Sportswoman of the year for 2021 and in the future since essentially 2 Canadians played in the US Open final in women’s tennis. Didn’t like Fernandez acting like a Brat and her family behaving like break points are for family survival. 

Why Leylah wasted time and energy b*tching to the RO on Emma's medical to bandage her bleeding leg is beyond me.

Ya, Leylah is a bit of a Drama Queen.

Emma didn't lose 1 set during her US Open play.

Fernandez didn't execute on her 1st serves.

IMO....I think Emma will have a better career than Leylah....Emma is a more powerful player....power matters.

Could Leylah's play at the US Open be a bit of lightening in a bottle?...I hope I'm wrong as I don't care for Bianca A and I would a Canuck to cheer for.

I also like Shapo and Felix.

Watching the CFL here is like watching the LPGA...minimal attendance.

There were maybe 5000-7000 fans in the stadiums at the BC Lion and Argo games these past 2 days.

Watching college ball yesterday....all the stadiums were all sold out with 70000-100000+ fans in attendance.

Mericans luv their sports.

Those tickets at Flushing Meadows are not cheap.

So does the Joker secure the calendar Slam today?

GFnna have to record...heading out to the links.

46 minutes ago, KBong said:

VP Bank Swiss spared no expense on the trophy that was purchased from ToyRus.

Sadly, LEGS gagged on Saturday....Sandra has been suffering from Lymes disease 

spacer.png

Hmmm. 'Reminds me of our old Moose of the Week award.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1