2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

Addendum:  Shibuno already had a psychological edge over Seon Woo's prior to the playoffs -- having defeated her 2x both May 2019 (by 1 stroke for Shibuno's first JLPGA victory at Salonpas Cup - yes, that medicated plaster painkiller from Hisamitsu company - love that stuff -- easily obtained from Costco (and of course, cheaper and more variety in Japan LOL) and most recently, in her last victory last month  (Seon Woo again in a T1 4 way-playoff after regulation in Stanley Ladies Event)... 

Japan's first major winner awarding Japan's 2nd major winner for the winning jacket -- fitting for a tournament named after her despite the "scandal" that is currently rocking Mitsubishi Electric (but I digress)

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Salonpas Cup - yes, that medicated plaster painkiller from Hisamitsu company - love that stuff

There sure has been an explosion in the medicated plaster business . . . for years and years, all we ever used was this old faithful:  😉😆   They are great with muscle and joint pain -- especially from playing too much golf some days! 

tokuhon-48-theherbdepot_8e12eee4-df76-4319-98f1-e2a009741446.jpg.c676e2bc29ecba70184d1a808f70d016.jpg

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

LUV the Smiling Cinderella.

The Korean GAGGED on 18 and gift wrapped the trophy to Shubuno.

Bae did the CLASSIC Johnny Miller quote....missing a CRITICAL putt to the right and 3 jacked from 20 ft.

At least Bae was a good sport with a nice congrats hug to Shibuno vs. FAKE Korean, Minjee's hug.

4 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Swing changes  (her swing is now more compact .....

Ya...I noticed a shorter swing in slo-mo on the playoff approach shot.

Shibuno switches caddies often???...does she use locals?

Shibuno needs to get through Q-Series 1st before further discussion(s).

She needs to find a good loop for Q-Series.

Are there any tenured LPGA loops who would be able communicate with her well out there?

I think TMac might be retired...no longer on Ciganda's bag...though years ago (11)....Tmac used to loop for Momoko Ueda.

All the Japanese Shibuno fanboys/girls must be going nuts in Japan now.

Edited by KBong
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Japan's first major winner awarding Japan's 2nd major winner for the winning jacket -- fitting for a tournament named after her despite the "scandal" that is currently rocking Mitsubishi Electric (but I digress)

I didn't know any of this.

You know your JLPGA stuff.

Are you Japanese who was born in the Philippines?...if no...what nationality are you?

7 minutes ago, KBong said:

I didn't know any of this.

You know your JLPGA stuff.

Are you Japanese who was born in the Philippines?...if no...what nationality are you?

I'm a reincarnated Samurai! 👹   Let's just say I'm a Southeast Asian by birth, East Asian by ethnicity and a Globetrotter in real life 🤣... and yes, I go to Japan a lot - and have quite a few japanese friends ☺︎  - have always followed a lot of JLPGA, and other stuff including going to Tsukuba for the Expo (yup, all the way to the 80's LOL), 6503, 6904, 4452, etc etc LOL  -- you can include F1 drivers like Kobayashi, Sato, Tsunoda, etc.  

PS since we love deciphering stuff here, ill let you figure those numbers out 😈

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

East Asian by ethnicity

What?...you're too embarrassed to admit you're a member of the GREAT People of China, like myself.🤣

There are more Chinese in the GTA vs the GVRD...630,000 vs. 500,000....but the Chinese are more noticeable here in the GVRD...as the GTA has a far greater population covering a wider geographical area too.

I like the Chinese food scene in TO vs. Van City....it's garbage here IMO.

So many better cheapa** Chinese slop holes serving great food and reasonable prices in TO...vs the over priced Chinese restaurants here catering to the phony nouveau riche Mainland cheeseballs.

@Golf Dino can attest to this. 

Van City's Chinatown is GARBAGE too...it's so small and closes early and dead.

• Haha 1

Just now, KBong said:

What?...you're too embarrassed to admit you're a member of the GREAT People of China, like myself.🤣

There are more Chinese in the GTA vs the GVRD...630,000 vs. 500,000....but the Chinese are more noticeable here in the GVRD...as the GTA has a far greater population covering a wider geographical area too.

So many better cheapa** Chinese slop holes serving great food and reasonable prices in TO...vs the over priced Chinese restaurants here catering to the phony nouveau riche Mainland cheeseballs.

I think the Chinese would label me a POSER ... so I'd rather not Try LOL 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

There sure has been an explosion in the medicated plaster business . . . for years and years, all we ever used was this old faithful:  😉😆   They are great with muscle and joint pain -- especially from playing too much golf some days! 

tokuhon-48-theherbdepot_8e12eee4-df76-4319-98f1-e2a009741446.jpg.c676e2bc29ecba70184d1a808f70d016.jpg

I've always stuck with Salonpas... Dunno why.  I'm actually surprised to see it in North America, truth be told...

2 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

I think the Chinese would label me a POSER ... so I'd rather not Try LOL 

I'm a Chinese POSER and proud of it.🤣

I'm also considered a REAL Chinese, FAKE Chinese, Banana, and a wannabe Korean...the last one especially when I want to get paired up with the short skort & knee high Korean ladies at the course.

The Korean ladies are nice to golf with...I got paired up with one yesterday....no skort nor knee highs though...she said she doesn't like the Korean gals who show off with their apparel.🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KBong said:

Since we've digressed a bit, and it's a boring non-golf afternoon (no LPGA and I don't count this week's Bermuda event as "PGA tier I event" LOL) - 

a) Am surprised Richmond BC won't make your grade for "good chinese slop holes" -- not that I've been there a lot -- only been in Vancouver for 1 week and it was to speak with a couple of Pvt Equity firms downtown.  Did enjoy Gastown area though haha

b) Always thought Seattle and Vancouver would be similar -- have been to Seattle a lot and have to say that Seattle has a better Japanese "character" in some areas including "International" Town -- with Kinokuniya there etc...  

c) in North America, I think no one beats Japantown for me in SFO... (but again, I'm biased) LOL... I find it tough to find authentic Japanese stuff here in the GTA, though quite easy for "Chinese/Taiwanese" stuff including Hakka, Hainanese, etc... 

30 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

in North America, I think no one beats Japantown for me in SFO... (but again, I'm biased) LOL..

Manhattan doesn't have a Japantown, but the quality of Japanese food rivals that of Kyoto and Tokyo; the Japantown or any Japanese food in San Francisco pales in comparison.

Unfortunately, we're talking about $400 omakase per head that's actually $600-800 when wines, tips and taxes are included.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Manhattan doesn't have a Japantown, but the quality of Japanese food rivals that of Kyoto and Tokyo; the Japantown or any Japanese food in San Francisco pales in comparison.

Unfortunately, we're talking about $400 omakase per head that's actually $600-800 when wines, tips and taxes are included.

Actually, we should listen to @agolf1.  Who, likes @Supermilo, is a global trotting financier; but also a food connoisseur from Singapore.

Come to think of it, the information from @agolf1maybe out of date due to travel restrictions from COVID over the last two years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 18majors said:

True that!  There are some authentic Japanese restos in Manhattan, that's for sure... but the price is also similar to those in Tokyo Omakase type dining LOL

if you want Japanese dining with the LPGA experience, go to Monterey and try Mina Harigae's folks' restaurant...  (no I'm not related in any way to those guys LOL)  - not sure if they'll talk golf with you but one can always try.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

@Golf Dino @Supermilo
...and when ‘vanilla’ tokuhon or hisamitsu salonpas medicated plaster = not enough of a ‘hit’... 

Then you can try “Chilli Brand” 🌶 😷

C5984B1A-4983-47C8-8BE4-0D7A2D15B0AC.jpeg

8F88B0D4-042B-42F9-B3BB-7F895D448924.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Golf Dino @Supermilo
...and when ‘vanilla’ tokuhon or hisamitsu salonpas medicated plaster = not enough of a ‘hit’... 

Then you can try “Chilli Brand” 🌶 😷

C5984B1A-4983-47C8-8BE4-0D7A2D15B0AC.jpeg

8F88B0D4-042B-42F9-B3BB-7F895D448924.jpeg

When you get hot plaster like that, they just burn the skin!  😂    I swear that the burning of the skin draws your attention away from any other ailment that you took the plaster for!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, KBong said:

Wasn’t the area around Chinatown in Vancouver the poorest/ most crime activity area in Canada? 

7 hours ago, KBong said:

Yes....Downtown Eastside right beside Chinatown is full of homeless drug addicts.

How do you know?

When I visited Vancouver in 2013, I visited Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese garden which is nice but overpriced at 12 CDN per visit.  I wandered the area around there to see the “thinnest” building in the world and was shocked. It reminded me of what people say New York was in the 70s and early 80s. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

Wasn’t the area around Chinatown in Vancouver the poorest/ most crime activity area in Canada?

That area known as the DTES - Downtown Eastside basically took over and was a major contributor to the destruction of Chinatown.  The other contributor was the sheer volume of Chinese immigration to metro Vancouver region.